Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age 2 Redefines Visceral Combat

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Even a bunch of fairy LARPers running in the forest with their plastic tubes looks better than this shit. :M

waywardOne

Arcane
i'm just glad DAO was such a piece of shit that my expectations were justifiably minimized.

Achilles

Arcane
bonescraper said:
Jaesun said:
SO basically Bioware are now makers of Action Games with light RPG elements....
Moar liek since 2005?

[image of Jade Empire]

bonescraper has a point. Bioware has been producing the same kind of game (action games with light RPG elements) for the best part of the last decade. Dragon Age was obviously a freak accident, a mistake, something they had on the backburner for a long time and they said "well we might as well release it". They are so set in their ways that they changed DA2 even though it sold very well.

Relay

Educated
Grunker said:
Another bad thing is that for all the shit DA:O graphics took they had some of the best two-handed attack animations, with the weapons actually look VERY heavy to swing. Not this retarded crap.

Dude,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hfLZozBVpM

DA two handers movements and the weight of the sword were greatly exaggerated. In a fantasy setting with fantasy materials I would expect it to be better, not worse, than the real world deal.
Check at 8:26 he's throwing it like a dart, a real two handed sword that could behead you in one hit.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I didn't say they looked realistic, I said they looked better than any other game I'd seen.

Should have added "in before the weapon-wankers" I suppose :smug:

Relay

Educated
Grunker said:
I didn't say they looked realistic, I said they looked better than any other game I'd seen.

Should have added "in before the weapon-wankers" I suppose :smug:

Except that Biowhore probably did that with the intent to make it more realistic though it's obvious that they had no idea what they were doing.
You don't "look better" when you're some slow fat ass who takes three hits before you can even put one on your enemies. This isn't what I would expect from a fantasy setting, to be more crippled than what the real world allows. DA 2hers are cripples.

DA Origins 2hers were glass canons even more so than mages (who had very strong buffs).

Looking good != looking stupid.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
@Relay: I don't really care what their intent was, I care about how it looked, and I thought it looked awesome.

DA Origins 2hers were glass canons even more so than mages (who had very strong buffs).

Whatever you say, darlin'.

TsongaKralj

Novice
Alexandros said:
bonescraper said:
Jaesun said:
SO basically Bioware are now makers of Action Games with light RPG elements....
Moar liek since 2005?

[image of Jade Empire]

bonescraper has a point. Bioware has been producing the same kind of game (action games with light RPG elements) for the best part of the last decade. Dragon Age was obviously a freak accident, a mistake, something they had on the backburner for a long time and they said "well we might as well release it". They are so set in their ways that they changed DA2 even though it sold very well.

Only Jade Empire and Mass Effect can be described as action games with RPG elements.Whether Kotor 1/2,NWN 1/2 or DAO are great RPGs or not is another matter entirely but they're definitely RPGs,not action games at all.

chzr

Erudite
Clockwork Knight said:
Relay said:

Didn't the massive STR required for 2h weapons allow the use of the heaviest armors?

however, 2h has low dps with general attack compared to dw (due to super slow attack speed) and relies on skills. Thus you don't want to wear massive armor for fatigue but heavy, or even better, medium... that's why 2h has low defense.

:M

racofer

Thread Incliner
This is Dagonet:

Dagonet.jpg

He wields a big two handed sword, he doesn't afraid of anything and you don't see him in heavy armor. The same should be applied to your DA:O character.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Only Jade Empire and Mass Effect can be described as action games with RPG elements."

Action RPGs and they have more role-playing than the BGs, KOTOR, NWN OC, NWN SOU, and NWN HOTU.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Volourn said:
"Only Jade Empire and Mass Effect can be described as action games with RPG elements."

Action RPGs and they have more role-playing than the BGs, KOTOR, NWN OC, NWN SOU, and NWN HOTU.

:)

Relay

Educated
Clockwork Knight said:
Relay said:

Didn't the massive STR required for 2h weapons allow the use of the heaviest armors?

Armor in DA doesn't mean the same thing as in Infinity Engine games, it doesn't make you harder to hit, it reduces damage. The 2H warrior has VERY low defense so even if he wears huge ass armor it only reduces the damage, it doesn't make it go away. Both the Rogue (with its ĂĽber dexterity) and the Sword&Shield warrior have much, much higher defense. Get your 2hander surrounded by a mob and he will die before he gets to chug a health potion down.
Basically a 2hander will never be able to avoid getting hit even when pit against the lower level foes.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Relay said:
Get your 2hander surrounded by a mob and he will die before he gets to chug a health potion down.
No, he won't.
1. The game is pitifully easy and it's nigh impossible to be brought down by "mobs".
2. The enemies always ignore any kind of aggro management you try to use, because Bioware can't code. So the enemies will go for your casters, leaving your 2hander to either mop up enemy casters or slowly follow the enemies to your caster and start his attack animation only for the enemies to have moved on before he finishes...

So that was a single good piece of information about DA2 that dmg is applied before the attack animation finishes.

Lomm Cuz

Novice
darkpatriot said:
Archibald said:
How can transition between this and DA1 battle system work?

In the console version (this gameplay video) you move your character around with the controller and hit buttons to make him do attacks (including your basic attack). There is no autoattack and no pathfinding to your target. Pretty much your standard action game set up.

You can still give squad orders and switch who is your active character.

In the PC version you control it like DA:O. You click on an enemy and then your character moves over to hm and begins autoattacking until he is dead. You use your quick bar slots to perform your special attacks. Party control will also be the same as DA:O, although the devs are leaning towards providing more tactics slots currently.

Edit: Forgot to mention. It hasn't been decided yet but the tactical camera view may move down lower. They will unlock the camera so you can scroll freely, I want the higher camera.

The animations that play and the number crunching will be the same for both versions.

In General the animations seem to play faster so gameplay will probably overall be faster paced (The quicker to get through the boring filler combat right?). Also, it is more responsive in general. Once you click on an enemy they will go rushing off to it and when they get close enough they will do a closing attack animation. Player animations also have the damage event front loaded so you immediately apply damage and then finish the animation. They also got rid of synced animations except for deathblow animations. These changes make it easier to interrupt/intercept enemies. Some player mage spells also play a longer casting attack animation that is interruptable.

It looks like dynasty warriors in this video because

1.) They are playing a warrior and all warrior attacks have an arc where all enemies in the arc are hit by the attack (and friendlies when friendly fire is turned on, highest difficulty only unfortunately). This is part of the class rebalancing they are doing. Rogues focus on higher damage against individual targets.

2.) This is an exaggerated gameplay segment where enemies are really weak and your damage is amped up. This is a specific portion at the beginning of the game so enemies during most of the game will not be dieing that easily.

You would know all this and more if you read the link I provided this fine collection of individuals to make them aware of the DA2 combat changes. That way we can get quality, well founded in facts, gripes and complaints instead of ignorant, knee jerk reaction, gripes and complaints.

Fine, right, ok. But, how can you explain...

this?
DA21.jpg

DA22.jpg

DA23.jpg

This kind of shit hasn't any place, no matter the kind of game... but, come on, don't even try to sell that the gameplay and the essence (of shit) will be the same when at the same time they introduce childish/japanese shit.

TsongaKralj

Novice
Volourn said:

My point is not which game has more roleplaying but its gameplay.Bioware to date has still released only few RPGs which can be classified as action RPGs so it's still not safe to say that Bioware has completely gone down that road,maybe they will in the future.

Black

Arcane
Hahaha, pathetic thread.
From reading your responses it seems like they are butchering a masterpiece that was first DA :lol:

Oh, and my dear Racofer, let's not fool ourselves, you will play it and you will like it even though it will be shit :salute:
So will that faggot SeriousBzns.

SO basically Bioware are now makers of Action Games with light RPG elements
Yeah, they are so different NOW :roll:

cogar48

Educated
Volourn said:

Volourn, please stop being a fucking retard.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I'm trying to imagine what the next step in this evolution is going to be. Can you possibly include more blood? Is it possible to dumb down gameplay even more? Can combat ever get more ridiculously over-the-top?

I don't think Bioware's going to stop until either Greg and Ray get bored with making stupid games and go back to performing hysterectomies or whatever it is they did before or someone else comes along and out-Biowares Bioware putting these idiots out of business for good.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I, for one, am praying to the Gods of Video Games that the "a movement is always followed by a counter-movement in mainstream culture"-hypothesis is true, Crispy. A counter-move to today's retarded simplification of video-games can only be a good thing.

Perhaps the keywords of tommorrow will be "complexity," "depth," "turn-based," and "creativity" instead of "streamlining," "simplification," "REAL-TIME AKSHUN!," and "bloom."

:thumbsup:

racofer

Thread Incliner
Black said:
Oh, and my dear Racofer, let's not fool ourselves, you will play it and you will like it even though it will be shit :salute:

Of course I will play it. Not sure if I will like it though, but if Bioware follows the same formula they used with ME2 I most likely will.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom