Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age impressions

relootz

Scholar
Grrr this game is hard on hard man. Uldred is insanely hard,since i hardly have any mana potions. He has zillions of life and keeps doing annoying shit like crushing prison.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
relootz said:
Grrr this game is hard on hard man. Uldred is insanely hard,since i hardly have any mana potions. He has zillions of life and keeps doing annoying shit like crushing prison.
hahahahahahahahaha! You are low on mana potions? hahahahahahah! The guy down stairs sells lyrium by the truck load and flasks are everywhere along with distillation in camp by the truckload....

baronjohn

Cipher
Mortmal said:
1eyedking said:
Dragon Age has a cool quest?

Mortmal said:
first 10 min of the game, for the elven origin, the wedding is broken , the bride abducted by city "nobles" who are rapists, one of the girl in jail l has her throat slit cause she cry too much.. if its not dark fantasy what do you want....
In Mage origin , your friend escape the tower to avoid lobotomy by plunging his dagger in his own hand draw his blood and lay death on the templars..its dark magic no?
That's supposed to be dark?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

For normal people its considered as dark yes. Not as dark as some pen and a paper rpgs , like KULT , and you wont dig holes in dead children heads to rape them, dont expect mainstream to cater to your needs...
but its much more dark than the usual rpg no ?
No.

BG 1: Your mentor is killed in an ambush. Your sister and you are all alone
BG 2: You awaken in a dungeon where you and your sister and being tortured by a powerful mage
IDW 2: You arrive in a town being raped and pillaged by goblins.
PST: You awaken in the morgue and a floating skull explains that you cannot die
Fallout: You're forced to leave your protected vault and go into the postapocalyptic wasteland
Fallout 2: Your remote tribe is slowly dying. You're sent on a vague and unlikely quest to find a GECK.
Arcanum: The zepellin crashes, killing everyone but you. You're greeted by a religious lunatic and a would-be assassin.

These games were never described as dark, but they're much darker and grittier and mature than DA:O is.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
Arcanum- Can use talk to dead spell. Guy in cave near the crash site has something to say! That really was a nice feature to add in. Arcanum!

Mortmal

Arcane
baronjohn said:
Mortmal said:
1eyedking said:
Dragon Age has a cool quest?

Mortmal said:
first 10 min of the game, for the elven origin, the wedding is broken , the bride abducted by city "nobles" who are rapists, one of the girl in jail l has her throat slit cause she cry too much.. if its not dark fantasy what do you want....
In Mage origin , your friend escape the tower to avoid lobotomy by plunging his dagger in his own hand draw his blood and lay death on the templars..its dark magic no?
That's supposed to be dark?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

For normal people its considered as dark yes. Not as dark as some pen and a paper rpgs , like KULT , and you wont dig holes in dead children heads to rape them, dont expect mainstream to cater to your needs...
but its much more dark than the usual rpg no ?
No.

BG 2: You awaken in a dungeon where you and your sister and being tortured by a powerful mage
Fallout: You're forced to leave your protected vault and go into the postapocalyptic wasteland
Fallout 2: Your remote tribe is slowly dying. You're sent on a vague and unlikely quest to find a GECK.
Arcanum: The zepellin crashes, killing everyone but you. You're greeted by a religious lunatic and a would-be assassin.

These games were never described as dark, but they're much darker and grittier and mature than DA:O is.

Ok ,except fallouts were described as post apocalyptic, thats certaintly count as dark.
But you will agree its darker and mature compare to oblivion or drakensang at least :)

baronjohn said:
No.

meh. Generic spiked armor evil knight kills the mentor you knew half a minute ago. You and your sister/friend escape (more like, she comes outta nowhere) and meet two evil guys on the road that don't gut you on sight, and even help you.

ok

ok, but you rape them so utterly it's more of a "fuck yes, here's the heroes" moment

...That's dark? It's pretty comedic, really (maybe if Morte wasn't there, or was more serious). By that point, you still haven't realized how shitty TNO's situation is.

ok

....dunno. Everyone treats you as the holy savior (and you are, being the most capable guy there).

Ok, I guess. Virgil's comedic presence (and help in combat) makes the assassinations attempts look meh.

No.

/unbeatable argument

relootz

Scholar
DreadMessiah said:
relootz said:
hahahahahahahahaha! You are low on mana potions? hahahahahahah! The guy down stairs sells lyrium by the truck load and flasks are everywhere along with distillation in camp by the truckload....

I dont buy mana potions, i want to have enough money for the good stuff.

Anyway i finally defeated him after 15 tries. :cool:

1eyedking

Erudite
I think those games were of a darker variety because of their art direction rather their premises.

Almost every game nowadays suffers from excessive bloom, extreme lack of shadows, WoW-like cartoon graphics, mediocre HUD design, and a general feeling of utter blandness. Those things just don't add well to a game's sobriety and mature context.

Deleted member 7219

How the fuck anyone can consider that dungeon crawling shitfest that was BG an 'RPG' is beyond me. Probably the same people who think Wizardry 8 was the pinnacle of roleplaying.

1eyedking

Erudite
More news from the battlefront!

scriptedage.gif

You think thats bad? You should see the fight where this one bitch was apparently scripted to cast mana clash on my mage NO MATTER WHAT. She completely avoided any walls/obstructions/distance, as soon as anyone in my party saw her my mage got killed. So I just ended up wasting all my mana before the fight so mana clash didn't hurt...

roll-a-die

Magister
Fuck man Every game uses scripting for encounters to some extent. I will admit however that they made a mistake they should have set up an invisible noncombat detect npc in the same group as the enemies. So that as soon as you hit the activator they would know where you were and track you. Disabling him when you go out of combat.

Then it would seemed more as if they heard you from the hallway hell if they had wanted to get really immersive(which according to firefox is not really a word) they could have set up a creaking floor board sound to play as you stepped onto the activator. Maybe with a curse from whoever activated it.

Ninja edit.

If you want a more blatant example of scripting right in the first act outside the origin stories. The first Emissary you face on the bridge in kocari is scripted to retreat once you come within a certain range of him.

Scripting isn't necessarily a bad thing. This
roll-a-die said:
If you want a more blatant example of scripting right in the first act outside the origin stories. The first Emissary you face on the bridge in kocari is scripted to retreat once you come within a certain range of him.

actually makes sense. Smart enemy runs away to a stronger position because he knows 4v1 isn't good odds and he is half your size. The problem is stupid scripted abilities that either let the enemy cheat or make them behave in ways that they shouldn't logically be behaving.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The archdemon battle was dull and far more boring than encounters with other bosses throughout the game, which is ironic. You're given a chance to negotiate with the werewolf, the desire demon possessing Connor, Caridin/Branka... but here, nothing. Given how big-bad-powerful the archdemon is, I'd have thought it would at least be sentient or intelligent enough to initiate conversation. Instead, it's just another generic dragon, except it breathes purple fire instead of orange and has more spikes than usual. Do we need more final battles against generic dragons? At least give it some interesting mechanics. Blizzard, I miss you. Couldn't Bioware have ripped off Malygos or Sartharion if they really must have fucking dragons? God knows they ripped off everything else from just about everybody."

You are an idiot. You obviously didn't learn about about the deepsawn or the archdemon. Thea rchdemon isn't there to talk with you. It is there to fuckin' destroy you. FFS

Why the fuck would it negoiate with you?

The desire demon, werewolves, Caradin/Barikna and others don't actually wnat to fight you. They want you to do soemthing for you. the only thing the archdemon wants is to spread the taint (which btw it's fuckin' tainted by the darkspawn too that's how archdemons in dragon form come to be fuck not), and to MURDER DEATH KILL. So, again, why would it fuckin' negotiate? Espcially since it is barely above animal intelligence?

On top of this... DA dragons > BG2 dragons

BG2 dragons are absolute fuckin' pussies compared to DA dragons. And, it's questionable whether or not Flemeth is na actual dragon or not but she's the coolest dragon either. So, fuck you.

Also: You whine, and whine about DA being a 'rip off' but then you demand it rips off inferior games? Fuck your shit.

baronjohn

Cipher
Clockwork Knight said:
ok, but you rape them so utterly it's more of a "fuck yes, here's the heroes" moment
Wow, no shit. That totally doesn't happen in DA:O and every RPG ever.

God you're dumb Clockwork Faggot.

baronjohn said:
Clockwork Knight said:
Wow, no shit. That totally doesn't happen in DA:O and every RPG ever.

God you're dumb Clockwork Faggot.

so...you just confirmed it isn't "dark and gritty and mature", like you said, but a utter comical rape. Wanna decide already?

*picks nose*

Do I really have to deal with baronjohn? It's embarrassing.

baronjohn

Cipher
Clockwork Knight said:
]so...you just confirmed it isn't "dark and gritty and mature"
All I did was prove that you don't know what you're talking about which is really fucking easy btw.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Dwarf city is boring. Generic, bland, no sense of a big city, no sidequests, no interesting characters and, once again, arena fights without autosaves. Meh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom