Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

J1M

Arcane
Grammar note: "di-" means "two", "twice", "double", etc. If there are more than two things, they cannot be "dichotomous".
Yeah I know, but I couldn't think of a word that meant "three" in that case.
Ternary juxtaposition.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ternary?s=t
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/juxtaposition

I'm surprised the word police didn't pick up on the misuse of the word binary. :roll:

oljebox

Educated
Grammar note: "di-" means "two", "twice", "double", etc. If there are more than two things, they cannot be "dichotomous".
Yeah I know, but I couldn't think of a word that meant "three" in that case.
Ternary juxtaposition.

I'm surprised the word police didn't pick up on the misuse of the word binary. :roll:

I missed it when I was skimming the post ... There's no reason to roll your eyes. Communicating concisely and precisely is a skill. Eloquence stands people in good stead.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Ternary juxtaposition.

Thank you for the lesson. I will take it under advisement for the future.

Though, strictly speaking, terms like "binary" have been used incorrectly for a long time; the use of the word is not literally meant to refer to "two mutually exclusive choices" but simply "mutually exclusive choices" as a whole regardless of number. You might as well get mad because people don't use "decimate" in the traditional manner.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Let me spell it out: It's about getting an immediate reaction whenever you issue a command (which does not happen all the time in DA:O), i.e. responsive controls but stated in an obnoxious way for marketing purposes.

Funny thing is, once they made actions instant upon pressing the ability icon people called it a hack n' slash game :lol:.

Dragon Age 2 has a ton of problems and is a shit game, but people who equate fast animations and input responsiveness with "hack n' slash" are an amusingly ignorant lot.

J1M

Arcane
Ternary juxtaposition.

Though, strictly speaking, terms like "binary" have been used incorrectly for a long time; the use of the word is not literally meant to refer to "two mutually exclusive choices" but simply "mutually exclusive choices" as a whole regardless of number. You might as well get mad because people don't use "decimate" in the traditional manner.
People misuse words all of the time. My point was that if someone is going to correct you, they should do a good job of it.

Also, I like the word ternary.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
I put the comment:

"Develop an individual art style instead of copying whatever your marketing team thinks is currently fashiionable among the target demographic. Giant weapons and anime is not aesthetically pleasing."

Delterius

Arcane
Funny thing is, once they made actions instant upon pressing the ability icon people called it a hack n' slash game :lol:.

Dragon Age 2 has a ton of problems and is a shit game, but people who equate fast animations and input responsiveness with "hack n' slash" are an amusingly ignorant lot.

Not in its entirety. True, there are a lot of people who don't really know what hack n' slash is and use it as a shallow argument. But, then again, there are people who think that Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate were turn-based; and other whose critique is centered around and limited by the idea of Immershuns. I wouldn't care to read those posts anymore than I care to wander into the BSN.

However, the more interesting complainers focused on two fronts.

First, many claimed that the game was frantic and a bit too fast. The sort of clusterfuck that held many RTwP games back and, at least according to some developers, part of the reason why some features of the old game's combat were cut instead of integrated with the new features (talking mostly about spell combos and the CCC).

From an aesthetic point of view, DA2's frantic combat was a major portion of a larger whole: a change of pace that took over the entire game. Combat became a banal thing that is thrown at the player at regular and frequent intervals. The nature of combat itself is much more fantastical which makes it all even more anti-climatic. The player kills hordes of enemies in a late season Shonen like fashion. This runs counter to BioWare's pretense at drama and was fundamental in VD's own review of the game.

But this is also an issue of gameplay: I think this is an interesting point to make because Neverwinter Nights 2 was often irritating precisely because of this. With such a clusterfuck for combat, then Dragon Age can't really pretend to be much more than a shallow RTwP or a mediocre Action games - otherwise it would be hard to keep track of rules. This is why I'm so happy that Sawyer's adding a slow down option to Eternity.

The other movement was that the frantic combat was accompanied by some action elements. Minor stuff like dodging from thrown rocks by moving characters instead of relying on character building for that. I don't really care about this argument because I'm more optimistic that BioWare delievers a solid Action game than a pure party based RPG. But I can sympathize.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ternary juxtaposition.

Funny you should mention that.

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/to...-Factors-To-Be-Determined/topic/15494/page/2/

Kanedias

Savant
It's been said already, but yes, I agree that the survey was very unclear. Very fortunate for them, because most of those options can be interpreted in any way they want. I was at a loss on how to rate "character customization", for example, as I felt that the different playable Origins in DAO were an excellent idea and it would fall under "customization", yet it's possible that the survey was just talking about how many different edgy scars, hairstyles and beards I can choose from.

It's also interesting how there is no mention of multiple endings, choice and consequence, or any other plot related thing for that matter, apart from "epic storyline" and "dark, gritty realism", that is. In the case of "dark, gritty realism", I rated it low despite actually enjoying when it's done well...There's no way Bioware will ever learn to do gritty dark fantasy that is not shallow and immature.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Let me spell it out: It's about getting an immediate reaction whenever you issue a command (which does not happen all the time in DA:O), i.e. responsive controls but stated in an obnoxious way for marketing purposes.

I've finally got around to playing DA2, for academic purposes of course, and the comically exaggarated animation speed is one of the most annoying thing for me so far. It's got nothing to do with hack'n'slash but the resemblance to the Street Fighter type of games is unmistakable. I feel like a 13 year old again playing this shit. Also the UI elements make dramatic swooshing sounds, whenever you level up or open a map or an inventory. And everything oozes this smooth, competent but utterly sterile feeling, from the character appearances and the exteriors to the writing.

And the items are represented by pictograms. Actually the whole game feels like a pictogram - just clean, straight outlines without any detailing, definition or depth. I gotta say it's one of the weirdest games I've ever played and boy have I played some weird shit in my years.

oljebox

Educated
Actually the whole game feels like a pictogram - just clean, straight outlines without any detailing, definition or depth. I gotta say it's one of the weirdest games I've ever played and boy have I played some weird shit in my years.

:greatjob:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Grim Dark for Biowhore is to put red paint on Protagonist face, real ''epic storyline" and "dark, gritty realism" would be both not PC and outside of comfort zone of their target audience; Read Greek Myths? Iliad? No Hero except cunning anti heroic Odis ends up HIS adventure with wifu and house full of loot and even in his case the triumph is bitter sweet.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
To be fair, I don't want them to try and implement their ideas of grim and gritty from Dragon Age 2 again. Their attempts in that game to create a world of moral ambiguity in which everyone is guilty of something just made me not give a shit about what happened anymore, since everyone in the plot was either a crazy power mad killer, accomplice to a crazy power mad killer, a CRAWLING IN MY SKIN tier edgy faggot, or an idiot.

I think there's some bizarre irony in the fact that I enjoy Bioware the most when they're just making fairly run-of-the-mill Fantasy/Sci-fi RPG's and not trying to do GRIM AND GRITTY REALISUM.

Rake

Arcane
Bioware cannot into complex motivations and grey morality.
The solution? Make everyone a lunatic.
At this point they sould stick to Hero's journey Black/White fantasy. At least they can do that good enough.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Bioware can into complex motivations much better than most but granted, there's still a lot of childishness and inanity in their writing. That only shows videogames have still some way to go before adults can play them without shutting out most of their brains.

While we're at it - why on earth do most Bioware games present as a self-evident truth that smuggling is evil? (I mean pure smuggling, without killing or stealing). In Bioware games smugglers are the bad guys, period, even though smuggling is always a reaction to some dumbfuck law. Alcohol smugglers were just trying to get around dumbfuck prohibition laws as are drug smugglers today trying to deal with stupid drug laws. I remember, living behind the Iron Curtain, my uncle used to smuggle VHS cassettes and western music recordings and Swiss chocolate for the whole extended family because there was a dumbfuck law against selling all western goods.

Fuck you Bioware, smuggling is glorious, wake up already! :)

Rake

Arcane
Compaired to whom?
Obsidian? No.
CDR? Closer but no (espesialy in their last games)
The only one Bioware has is Bethesda, but that doesn't says much. Kkindergarten kids could write more complex characters than Bethesda.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Skyrim's writing is serviceable when it's kept to the point, which is actually a good way to handle story in open-world games as it generally has implications to quest design (see Gothic 3 for a similar example). The writing falls on its face, not surprisingly, when they try to inject any personality or complexity into characters or events.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Skyrim's writing is serviceable when it's kept to the point, which is actually a good way to handle story in open-world games as it generally has implications to quest design (see Gothic 3 for a similar example). The writing falls on its face, not surprisingly, when they try to inject any personality or complexity into characters or events.

Uh, I don't know about this, Skyrim writing wasn't servicable for me, it was quite terrible actually. And anyway let's wait what CDPR has to say about the "story in a opern-world game" problem. Those Polacks are fucking inscrutable, they very well may cut the Gordian "an open-world game cannot have a good story" Knot.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I've finally got around to playing DA2, for academic purposes of course, and the comically exaggarated animation speed is one of the most annoying thing for me so far. It's got nothing to do with hack'n'slash but the resemblance to the Street Fighter type of games is unmistakable. I feel like a 13 year old again playing this shit. Also the UI elements make dramatic swooshing sounds, whenever you level up or open a map or an inventory. And everything oozes this smooth, competent but utterly sterile feeling, from the character appearances and the exteriors to the writing.

And the items are represented by pictograms. Actually the whole game feels like a pictogram - just clean, straight outlines without any detailing, definition or depth. I gotta say it's one of the weirdest games I've ever played and boy have I played some weird shit in my years.
A lot of artistic decisions they made had everything to do with reducing the memory footprint as much as possible to squeeze all the ram they could out of the 360/PS3 with their shit engine. Thankfully not as much of an issue going forward.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Skyrim has decent and direct writing. They don't do long, deep morally grey dialogues so the writing being only passable never really bothers you. In contrast Dragon Age 2 goes on and on with its writing, throwing it in your face and making the story the focus of the experience, and the writing is similarly not that great.

I'll take minimal poor writing over verbose poor writing any day.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Skyrim dialogue was decent when done by ***** voiced NPC like Ulfric, Tulius and Esbern and when it came to go to dungeon bring me my fork and fur pantaloons pliz part. It never made wish to murder them all for being obnoxius gitz like in DA2. Skyrim had also well written books and journals which helped to flesh out the setting and game world.

Notice there is no Arrow in the Knee in this video. :incline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom