Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I hated having Darth Old Lady explain moral ambiguity to me, when I knew that she was evil the whole time, and she and I lived in a world where evil spellcasters got ugly crap on their faces to make it pretty damn clear that no, giving the guy some money was not actually a morally twisty act with consequences that I couldn't possibly understand, Darth Old Lady was just being a dink and needed to stay on the ship.)

:what:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Weekes is responsible for Tali, Jack, Kasumi, Traynor (gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay romance; originally it was going to be even more heavy handed), and Mordin as well as that Tuchanka thing from ME3 which almost everyone seems to agree was the highlight (I wouldn't know).

Tytus

Arcane
Weekes is responsible for Tali, Jack, Kasumi, Traynor (gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay romance; originally it was going to be even more heavy handed), and Mordin as well as that Tuchanka thing from ME3 which almost everyone seems to agree was the highlight (I wouldn't know).

Didn't he write the Geth-Quarian section of ME3 and that Tali death scene?

Caim

Arcane
... am I so :obviously: that the plot and various parts of KotOR 2 (like Kreia's Randian rant) made perfect sense to me? Because it did.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I hated having Darth Old Lady explain moral ambiguity to me, when I knew that she was evil the whole time, and she and I lived in a world where evil spellcasters got ugly crap on their faces to make it pretty damn clear that no, giving the guy some money was not actually a morally twisty act with consequences that I couldn't possibly understand, Darth Old Lady was just being a dink and needed to stay on the ship.)

Yeah uh, that is. Uh. Well, maybe if I read his entire post... no, still doesn't make any sense. Maybe Avellone should send the guy a Christmas card saying "You have been trolled, sir" and then he'll figure it out. Probably not, though.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
That may be the difference between Obsidian and BioWare in a nutshell. BioWare can be clumsier, because that clumsiness is an attempt to make sure that everybody knows what's going on and what choices they're making at any given time.
Says the biowhore, who gave birth to "ninjamance" term. Oh, and let's not forget icons in Dragon Turd 2 and spectacular paraphrases, that totally made "sure that everybody knows what's going on and what choices they're making at any given time"

Tytus

Arcane
That may be the difference between Obsidian and BioWare in a nutshell. BioWare can be clumsier, because that clumsiness is an attempt to make sure that everybody knows what's going on and what choices they're making at any given time.
Says the biowhore, who gave birth to "ninjamance" term. Oh, and let's not forget icons in Dragon Turd 2 and spectacular paraphrases, that totally made "sure that everybody knows what's going on and what choices they're making at any given time"

If you wanted you could basically disable sound in DA2, put on some power metal, "enjoy" killing enemies and don't pay attention to the plot at all. The huge mmo arrows to show you where to go and the icons to tell you what your choice will be guaranteed you don't have to know anything what is going on. All good games are like that. Patrick says so. We should also add fast forward button so I'm able to skip the combat part to. And play Bioware version of simon says. :incline:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
snipped pyramid

what3d.gif

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Patrick Weekes said:
The bad news is that nuanced doesn't help when you put the game down for a week and then come back to try to remember what you were supposed to be doing — and can also lead to times when the player is pissed off because the game didn't explain things to them.

Dolls_Laughing.gif

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
And this is one of Bioware's better writers. I'm starting to understand why their games turn out like they do. It isn't that they're trying to make a good RPG and failing for whatever reason, they're just idiots.

Oesophagus

Arcane
Patrick Weekes said:
The bad news is that nuanced doesn't help when you put the game down for a week and then come back to try to remember what you were supposed to be doing — and can also lead to times when the player is pissed off because the game didn't explain things to them.

sppon-feed-300x199.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh, and let's not forget icons in Dragon Turd 2 and spectacular paraphrases, that totally made "sure that everybody knows what's going on and what choices they're making at any given time"
Those were a good idea and would work well even without paraphrases. There have been times when the tone the Bioware writer had in mind for the line wasn't what I expected it to be.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Those were a good idea and would work well even without paraphrases. There have been times when the tone the Bioware writer had in mind for the line wasn't what I expected it to be.
Really? icons? Good Idea? Tones as well? How exactly this retardation is a good idea? If you answer agressively to several templars bashing mages and acquired enough points to shift tone to agressive then tone system is forcing you to answer agressively to mages as well. In fact, to anyone as well. It's like an autodialogue lite. Icons were a great idea for DA2 target audience. Mostly due to target audience's IQ requirement to go by colour. "Green is goood, red - baaaad, hurrrr."

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Really? icons? Good Idea? Tones as well? How exactly this retardation is a good idea?
I already explained this. Maybe you should read what I said again.

If you answer agressively to several templars bashing mages and acquired enough points to shift tone to agressive then tone system is forcing you to answer agressively to mages as well. In fact, to anyone as well. It's like an autodialogue lite.
If you're aggressive all the time, that's the personality you've chosen. You should have been diplomatic or sarcastic more if you don't want an angry Hawke.

Icons were a great idea for DA2 target audience. Mostly due to target audience's IQ requirement to go by colour. "Green is goood, red - baaaad, hurrrr."
Removing ambiguity is a good thing.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Removing ambiguity is a good thing.

In gameplay. However, according to you, "dialogue is not gameplay", so that rule doesn't apply. Dialogue can therefore behave according to the rules of real life social interaction, where ambiguity is common.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
[In gameplay. However, according to you, "dialogue is not gameplay", so that rule doesn't apply. Dialogue can therefore behave according to the rules of real life social interaction, where ambiguity is common.
I shouldn't have to guess what tone my character is going to use when speaking a line.

That could only work if you're playing a RPG where the only supported character concept is someone with little control over their actions.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I shouldn't have to guess what tone my character is going to use when speaking a line.

I would blame that on poor writing. Icons as a solution for poor writing is like the quest compass as a solution for poor map design.

Tytus

Arcane
[In gameplay. However, according to you, "dialogue is not gameplay", so that rule doesn't apply. Dialogue can therefore behave according to the rules of real life social interaction, where ambiguity is common.

That could only work if you're playing a RPG where the only supported character concept is someone with little control over their actions.

Then don't play games where the player character is fully voiced and has Bioware Dialogue Wheel. Stick to games where all the choices are written out in the dialogue menu. Then you don't have to guess what the full line will be. Bioware makes games nowadays for people who can't or won't read and because they can't convey in short the actual line will be they resorted to huge ass icons to tell their retarded audience what it will be about.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I would blame that on poor writing. Icons as a solution for poor writing is like the quest compass as a solution for poor map design.
I don't trust writers to improve so I'd rather have the icon.

In Witcher 2 it looks like they had some crazy edict where the paraphrased line couldn't also be the spoken line even if the spoken line was shorter (I expect this kind of backwards-thinking from cargo cult potatoes), seemingly so you wouldn't read the same line twice. So selecting "Very funny" gets you "Fuck you!". This could have been improved with an aggressive tone icon since "no repeats" was non-negotiable.

Then don't play games where the player character is fully voiced and has Bioware Dialogue Wheel. Stick to games where all the choices are written out in the dialogue menu. Then you don't have to guess what the full line will be. Bioware makes games nowadays for people who can't or won't read and because they can't convey in short the actual line will be they resorted to huge ass icons to tell their retarded audience what it will be about.
I said that even when the line is fully written out I'm sometimes wrong about the tone.

Tytus

Arcane
I don't trust writers to improve so I'd rather have the icon.

In Witcher 2 it looks like they had some crazy edict where the paraphrased line couldn't also be the spoken line even if the spoken line was shorter (I expect this kind of backwards-thinking from cargo cult potatoes), seemingly so you wouldn't read the same line twice. So selecting "Very funny" gets you "Fuck you!". This could have been improved with an aggressive tone icon since "no repeats" was non-negotiable.

I said that even when the line is fully written out I'm sometimes wrong about the tone.

Never had this problem while playing Twitcher 2, but I played in a Human language (polish), not this animal speak (english), maybe the localization guys fucked it all up. :obviously:

Spend more time with actual people, you won't be so often wrong about the tone

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom