Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

AC= 1 good game(black fag) out of 6
ME= 1 good game out of 3 titles
gues which one :troll:?

so both "series" are shit

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Assassin's Creed 2 is both Josh and Lesi-approved which puts it on my list of things-to-check-out-one-day.

Is the same Dragon Age team working on this, or were they also pulled off to work on MYSTARY GAME™ like the Mass Effect team was pulled off and put to work on (this is why Mass Effect 3 will be complete and utter fail, in gigantic truckloads).
Same team. Weekes is also on this instead of mystery game or ME4.

Athelas

Arcane
I have only played the first Assassin's Creed game, and I found it to be terrible. About 95% of the game is spent doing busywork in preparation of the remaining 5%, the highly-scripted titular assassinations. You visit different cities and locales, but the busywork is always the same (pickpocket someone for a document containing valuable information, overhear a secret conversation, jump off a dozen towers into conveniently placed haystacks, etc.). And the fruits of your busywork are always obfuscated - you're told you pickpocketed an important document that will help you somehow, but you never actually see how).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah the first one is awful.

The 2nd one is like the Blood Money/Bioshock 2/New Vegas of AC, so I've been told.

Caim

Arcane
AC 2 is a lot better and has a lot more to do than 1, and doesn't have a loop of ride to city of the day/engage in asinine tomfoolery/actual assassination/get reset to location far away from the rest of the game. Plus, some actual bloody assassinations. Unfortunately later games (including Brotherhood and Revelations) had a lot less of this going on.

Monocause

Arcane
AC series is shit due to non-existing difficulty and some incredibly intense handholding. Not sure about the first one, but 2 and 3 there was more illusion of gameplay - games tried to fool you into thinking that you did something on your own while you were just following instructions and triggering heavily scripted stuff.

I wouldn't recommend both 2 and 3 to pretty much anyone, unless you enjoy the plotline (which I suppose is competent for a video game but nothing more) or the visuals/vibe (I suppose that can be a big draw for some, especially with the second one).

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Assassin's Creed 2 is both Josh and Lesi-approved which puts it on my list of things-to-check-out-one-day.
Can't imagine why. The plot is ridiculous pseudo-historical nonsense made worse by logic-defying time skips. The gameplay itself isn't that bad though, if you can overlook the atrocious combat. Nice setting too. But I sort of agree that Black Flag is the first in the series that I would actually call a fun game end-to-end with some actual challenge in gameplay. AC1 was more of a tech demo, and AC3 just sucked.

I've said before that I think the AC engine(s) would make for good action-RPGs, so I wouldn't hate if Bioware went in that sort of direction. Though I'm still expecting a game that panders to everyone (well, action game fans and RPG fans) and satisfies no one.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I couldn't stand the story of 2 though, and the fact that there was no real improvement to gameplay other than slight mission variety and story density meant that it was even more tiresome than the first game for me. I've never finished it.

I really liked the first one, but I guess i'm a bit of a story/aesthethics fag when it comes to some games, like that one.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
A team of complete nobodies did create Goldeneye 64, so, I'd say anything is possible. I'd argue the chance is greater, that a totally fresh team would create a better experience than the ME3 or DA3 teams can. Mostly because newbies aren't afraid to break conventions (or just aren't aware of them); the only problem with new blood is they're not effecient or effective at creating a working product in a reasonable time.

It's Kwan Frenchies who work on ME4, son. That means it will be an unholy AC/Thiaf/Ineveraskedforthis suckfest by default, since they're drawing from the same incestuous "talent" pool.

eremita

Savant
Not a proper complain, is just weird considering that originally the game should be out by now, and that they already showed various long gameplay videos... "pre-alpha" sounds too defensive and insecure.
Yeah turns out making a full-scale next-gen RPG on a new engine within 2 years is unfeasible. Need the good ol' reliable 3+.

They're still in production so pre-alpha is a perfectly acceptable thing to call it.
Is the same Dragon Age team working on this, or were they also pulled off to work on MYSTARY GAME™ like the Mass Effect team was pulled off and put to work on (this is why Mass Effect 3 will be complete and utter fail, in gigantic truckloads).
In case of Dragon Age, It¨s still the same team. ME team is working on new IP and new ME is developed by people in Montreal (most of them unknown to me). But lead designer is Ian Frazier (great Ultima V: Lazarus and Kingdoms of Amalur), so I'm quite interseted in it.

set

Arcane

So you want this forum to just be a circlejerk, no new opinions to dissent against yours? Sounds like a fine policy. I'm only even posting here because the genre I like has become a wasteland; discussing games anywhere else on the internet is about as fruitful as trying to convince someone there are games other than Minecraft and Call of Duty.

Akratus

Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

So you want this forum to just be a circlejerk, no new opinions to dissent against yours? Sounds like a fine policy. I'm only even posting here because the genre I like has become a wasteland; discussing games anywhere else on the internet is about as fruitful as trying to convince someone there are games other than Minecraft and Call of Duty.

I visit NMA, the codex and occasionally certain /v/ threads. Seem to be the only ones capable of keeping their heads above the waters of decay. Although not so much in /v/'s case.

I've never had my join date pointed out to me. Maybe the solution is to
git gud

Gord

Arcane
Can't imagine why. The plot is ridiculous pseudo-historical nonsense made worse by logic-defying time skips. The gameplay itself isn't that bad though, if you can overlook the atrocious combat. Nice setting too. But I sort of agree that Black Flag is the first in the series that I would actually call a fun game end-to-end with some actual challenge in gameplay. AC1 was more of a tech demo, and AC3 just sucked.

I've said before that I think the AC engine(s) would make for good action-RPGs, so I wouldn't hate if Bioware went in that sort of direction. Though I'm still expecting a game that panders to everyone (well, action game fans and RPG fans) and satisfies no one.

AC2 is great for sightseeing. That's about it, imho. Gameplay is repetitive and bland, the gimmicks wear off fast, difficulty almost non-existant, story goes from mildly interesting to :retarded: over the course of the game. Some characters are ok, though. Oh, and it's a terrible, terrible console port.

I'd love to see a proper (even a-)RPG using the setting/engine though. Some studio that knows what they are doing should just hire the team behind the map design and produce some worthwile game.

Akratus

Patron
For me assass-ins creed was ruined the moment they had the "assassin buddies team" roll call. The annoying british know-it-all? The hot boobs? The fast talking, punky nerd girl? The dull and uninteresting main character so daft he might represent the main audience? All there.

DraQ

Arcane
AC series is shit due to non-existing difficulty and some incredibly intense handholding. Not sure about the first one, but 2 and 3 there was more illusion of gameplay - games tried to fool you into thinking that you did something on your own while you were just following instructions and triggering heavily scripted stuff.

I wouldn't recommend both 2 and 3 to pretty much anyone, unless you enjoy the plotline (which I suppose is competent for a video game but nothing more) or the visuals/vibe (I suppose that can be a big draw for some, especially with the second one).
Does anyone have that AC gameplay vid where a guy was just standing there and the AI was doing its best to not actually kill him?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Damn, it is a shame Weekes is working on DA3 (yet another shitty PRESS A TO WIN console action game). At least his contributions will be good. I will never play it though. I wish Obsidian or InXile could steal him to work on better cRPG games.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's not an action game.

He'd also be a horrible fit at Obsidian.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Josh Sawyer made him extremely butthurt back then on RPGWatch with his talk about "harem anime", so I'm not surprised you say that. :smug:
Uh huh. Also
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1060934618#post1060934618
Patrick Weekes said:
I didn't like the petty evil options in the first game (but then, I play Light Side, so it wasn't like I was going to take them anyway), but they were at least recognizable as evil.

In the second game, I got actively pissed off when dialog options that were only sarcastic earned me dark side points. I don't complain if talking about love of battle or people deserving to die gives me a dark side point, but if being snarky is enough for me to suddenly grow black veins on my face, that's just stupid.

That may be the difference between Obsidian and BioWare in a nutshell. BioWare can be clumsier, because that clumsiness is an attempt to make sure that everybody knows what's going on and what choices they're making at any given time. Obsidian's dialog can flow more naturally, and the choices are often more ambiguous morally. The good news is that that's more nuanced. The bad news is that nuanced doesn't help when you put the game down for a week and then come back to try to remember what you were supposed to be doing — and can also lead to times when the player is pissed off because the game didn't explain things to them.

As somebody who gets huffy about being slapped with Dark side points, I think I'm at the right company. That doesn't make me better. I suspect some people will quite vocally declare that it makes me worse. I don't think it's either, though. It's just a difference in playstyles, why we play and what we want. I want to be Mister Glowy Sparkly aura of awesome. That's what I paid $60 for.

(I also can't wait to see how Obsidian does with Alpha Protocol. I think it's a better IP for the type of games they produce. I enjoyed KotOR 2 despite its flaws, and I enjoyed what I played of NWN2, but I think they'll shine in an IP that doesn't have an actual hard and fast morality unless they want to make one. I hated having Darth Old Lady explain moral ambiguity to me, when I knew that she was evil the whole time, and she and I lived in a world where evil spellcasters got ugly crap on their faces to make it pretty damn clear that no, giving the guy some money was not actually a morally twisty act with consequences that I couldn't possibly understand, Darth Old Lady was just being a dink and needed to stay on the ship.)

Not an Obsidian-style writer by any means. Bioware to the core.

Tytus

Arcane
I hated having Darth Old Lady explain moral ambiguity to me, when I knew that she was evil the whole time, and she and I lived in a world where evil spellcasters got ugly crap on their faces to make it pretty damn clear that no, giving the guy some money was not actually a morally twisty act with consequences that I couldn't possibly understand, Darth Old Lady was just being a dink and needed to stay on the ship.)

:what:

Rake

Arcane
:lol: And Jaesun wants that idiot working at Obsidian or inXile?
Why? Which game that was good worked on to gain that kind of cred? Because from what i'm reading i would prefer Gaider ffs

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom