Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Isn't that supposed to be an ogre? But yeah, it is pretty well-designed. And you gotta love Bioware for putting so much detail into their hairy bush.
I would think not, if so it'd be their worst attempt at an ogre yet. It looks pretty natural and fantasy animal like. Darkspawn on the other hand are more unnatural, pale, abomination type things. Besides ogres are spawned from Qunari brood mothers, so they'd probably have horns on their heads.

kris

Arcane
what was it that looked unique?

Personally i found it looking very uninspired. Right at the start you are in some super-bland one color hellscape which I don't even understand were it should be. while the big city is okay, you spend way to much time in some of the most boring outdoor landscape i seen. DA3 look way better as far as this is concerned, even with the lack of imagination shown.

The animated style and exaggerated proportions, specifically. If you don't think that looked different then I don't know what to tell you. Note it can still look boring despite looking different.

I just asked.

I didn't notice or possibly didn't care. but then again, I didn't play it long.

I don't remember anything that looked particularly memorable, but apart from stuff like background NPCs being extremely low-res and "everything is a corridor" design the game looked alright.

Would it kill them to turn down the fucking bloom?

No, it would kill the Xbox. Dem jags
datass.gif

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/113426-dragon-age-inquisition-tidbits-2.html

BioWare forums user Jaldaris93 has posted a summary of the most important points of a recent Official Xbox Magazine preview of Dragon Age: Inquisition, which includes some, as far as I know, new info on the title.

1. There will be 5 regions in Dragon Age: Inquisition: Fereldan, The Free Marches, Orlais, Nevarra and the Dales:
  • 2 of the areas you can expect to visit are; a war-torn region in Orlais and an elven burial ground, known as the Emerald Graves.
  • The Emerald Graves, according to executive producer Mark Darrah, is where the Dalish Elves planted one tree for every soldier killed in the Exalted Marches.
  • According to the magazine, while enemy levels don't scale to your characters, you can affect environmental changes to drastically influence local settlements, establish trade routes, capture territory and disrupt the local ecosystem.
  • Wild flora and fauna, useful for crafting can be hunted to scarcity, allowing other species to proliferate.
  • Defeating intelligent enemies like bandits or dragons will have a significant effect on a given region.

2. Dragon Age Inquisition Companions:
  • There will be no DLC Companions: According to Creative Director Mike Laidlaw: "Because of how deeply enmeshed in the system companion characters are, we can't just add them on the fly; part of them has to be shipped on the disc...which was led to criticism that we're forcing people to pay for content they already own. It's not the case, but we've decided this time to not go that route. There will be no DLC party members."
  • Solas is an apostate and an expert on the Fade.
  • The Iron Bull is confirmed as a companion, who is described as "a one-eyed mercenary and outcast from the Qunari faith"
  • Sera is confirmed as a companion, and is described as "an elven archer. Little is known about them [referring to both Sera and the Iron Bull] at this point, particularly Sera, who turned up seemingly on accident during one of several combat demonstrations..."

3. The Dialogue Wheel:
  • "We have three wheels that we use in response to any given piece of dialogue" says Gaider. "One of those is what we call the 'tone wheel', which is mostly for role-playing choices. The other two are the 'choice wheel'- for taking an action or stating an opinion-and the 'reaction wheel,' for emotional moments"

4. The Inquisitor:
  • There will be 4 voices for the Inquisitor 2 for each gender, for all races
  • To address why the same voices apply to all races, Mike Laidlaw made the following statement: "It's a matter of file size...if we were to have eight voices, two for each race, we would be shipping on 14 discs or something. We figured that with four voices, that would give players enough options while staying within our size limitations"
  • Bioware is currently exploring options to differentiate the voices, like changing the pitch of the audio.
  • The Prologue Section (or the "Origin" section" will be the same for all players. The player's appearance, class and dialogue responses during the prologue section will fill in the details, presumably of the Inquisitor's background, and in particular inform how other characters respond to you throughout the story.
  • The Inquisitor is the sole survivor of a reality-shattering event which results in the Fade tearing opening throughout Thedas.
  • "Presumbly as a result [of the Fade tearing open throughout Thedas], you're also endowed with a singular ability: you can close these rifts wherever they appear throughout the continent."

5. Endings:
  • "Bioware is promising a staggering 40 possible endings for the game, dependent not only on choices made in character generation but by actions taken throughout the storyline. [Mark] Darrah stresses, however, that the endings will all be meaningfully different from one another. You won't find 40 endings with only slight degrees of variation between them."

6. Customization:
  • Armour weights are no longer class specific. Meaning a rogue can wear a mage's robes, and a mage can wear a warrior's armour. The magazine speculates the penalties will be similar to the fatigue penalties used in DA: Origins

7. Other information:
  • There will be a jar of bees, which can be used as a combat item which according to Bioware: "You throw it, the jar breaks open, and little bees fly around stinging your opponents."

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
"We have three wheels that we use in response to any given piece of dialogue" says Gaider. "One of those is what we call the 'tone wheel', which is mostly for role-playing choices. The other two are the 'choice wheel'- for taking an action or stating an opinion-and the 'reaction wheel,' for emotional moments".

:what:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"We have three wheels that we use in response to any given piece of dialogue" says Gaider. "One of those is what we call the 'tone wheel', which is mostly for role-playing choices. The other two are the 'choice wheel'- for taking an action or stating an opinion-and the 'reaction wheel,' for emotional moments".

:what:

I like how they've formalized the concept of Bioware-style cosmetic C&C.

The "tone wheel"? That's for "roleplaying choices".

The "choice wheel"? Nothing to do with roleplaying or choices, apparently. :)

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
"We have three wheels that we use in response to any given piece of dialogue" says Gaider. "One of those is what we call the 'tone wheel', which is mostly for role-playing choices. The other two are the 'choice wheel'- for taking an action or stating an opinion-and the 'reaction wheel,' for emotional moments"

What? :retarded:

I am not following DA:I news closely, can someone explain what exactly this means or how it works?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Doesn't sound half bad, actually. I might actually be optimistic about this if Bioware hadn't so thoroughly convinced me not to give a shit with their last 3 releases.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think they're different wheels for different types of conversations. Fluff dialogue gets the 'tone wheel' where you'll probably pick a dialogue choice that's either snarky, sarcastic, or sardonic; during the 'CHOOSE THE FATE OF THESE PEOPLES' dialogues you'll use the 'choice wheel'; and during EMOTIONALLY ENGAGING cutscenes you'll use the 'reaction wheel'.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Trying to make impressive what BioWare already does. They've always varied the type of dialog options you get based on whether it's general conversation, a decision point or whether you are responding to companion exposition before you fuck.

Emily

Arcane
I think they're different wheels for different types of conversations. Fluff dialogue gets the 'tone wheel' where you'll probably pick a dialogue choice that's either snarky, sarcastic, or sardonic; during the 'CHOOSE THE FATE OF THESE PEOPLES' dialogues you'll use the 'choice wheel'; and during EMOTIONALLY ENGAGING cutscenes you'll use the 'reaction wheel'.
but what is the point of these "tone wheels" then, i dont get it. It servers no purpose then.. What about emotional wheel wtf is that supposed to even mean, i am choosing my emotions? :S

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
but what is the point of these "tone wheels" then, i dont get it. It servers no purpose then.. What about emotional wheel wtf is that supposed to even mean, i am choosing my emotions? :S

What Delterius was trying to hint at is that the "reaction wheel" is the equivalent of Mass Effect's paragon/renegade interrupts. It's used in a different context than the "tone wheel", which represents the standard Bioware-style "cosmetic C&C" you get in every conversation in their games.

Delterius

Arcane
Trying to make impressive what BioWare already does. They've always varied the type of dialog options you get based on whether it's general conversation, a decision point or whether you are responding to companion exposition before you fuck.
Yeah but the whole reaction wheel might be the new deal. Imagine the following scenario: 'Your mother has died'; 'Press X to cry'; 'Press △ to kick the puppy'; 'Press O to scream revenge' EDIT Or, if you're sea press square to laugh.
What Delterius was trying to hint at is that the "reaction wheel" is the equivalent of Mass Effect's paragon/renegade interrupts. It's used in a different context than the tone wheel, which is the everyday Bioware-style "cosmetic C&C" you get in the middle of every conversation.

OhmygoditalreadyexistsinME Less than a year in the BSN and I already know this company more than I ever wanted to.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Also, it's been a while since I posted stuff from BioWare forums. They've had a new redesign and they're basically just like the Obsidian forums now, but white (check your privilege, BioWare).

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/496831-the-dragon-age-confessions-game-social-club/

I always romance Morrigan.

But sometimes cheat on her with Leliana.

Alistair, Oghren, and Sten are my best friends.

I love Wynne and Shale like a mother and sister.

I always kill Zevran. Damn assassins.

I resent Aveline for blueballing me.

I like Bethany a little too much.

I lusted after Athenril, Grace, and Lia in DA2.

I...*sob*... confess that I just want to caress my hands through Varric's very manly chest hair for all eternity and that hopefully he will always be in my party in Inquisition

I also confess I really hope there is "naughty magic" like what Merril was hoping to find, I would have....so...many...uses.....

I confess that I once had a sex dream about Sigrun. Maker help me.

I confess that I once did the joining with Jory, Daveth and my character naked... And pretended it was part of the ritual... Because I wanted Daveth and Jorys things when they died... But it looked weird when they were the only ones naked ones so......

I confess I hate M!Hawke x Fenris fanfic where Fenris is on top. Can it get anymore embarrassing than that??

I confess I had a dream where Cullen and Anders were lovers, but Anders abandoned Cullen. I was so deeply moved by the dream when I first woke up that I briefly began planning a multichapter fic that I was certain would rip the hearts out of my readers. Then five minutes passed and I realized it was pretty stupid and that I needed to stop making fun of Twilight fans if I was going to keep having dreams like that.

I confess that I've romanced Fenris 10+ times... Anders twice, Isabela twice, Merrill only once (and never finished). *hangs head*

I confess that I tried to make Alistair gay, but I couldn't finish the playthrough because it was upsetting when he referred to my Warden as a woman.

I confess that I wish Cole would "grow up" a bit mentally so he could be romance-able.

I confess that I'm a 33 year old professional with four degrees ... who is obsessed with BioWare romances >.<

n.b. The thread has been up for two and a half weeks in the "scuttlebutt" rumours/general discussion DA:I board and is eighty two pages long. So there's plenty more. Haven't even stepped into one of the character mega-threads yet.

Could be a good way of solving the "WTF WHY IS HE PUNCHING THE QUESTGIVER I DIDN'T WANT TO SAY THAT" problem that affects their dialogue wheel.

Of course, an even better way would be to just have better writing for the choices so no people don't get surprised by seemingly trollish results...drop the fucking wheel system if it only allows for five short words on each dialogue option.

Don't see why you'd need three different types of "wheels" for that, though. If one option involves an action, you can just make it clear with an "[Action]" tag or something.

I'm thinking the "action wheel" is just another name for the Paragon/Renegade Interrupts from Mass Effect.

Now the reaction wheel might be QTE. Wouldn't that be fun(ny).
Or a minigame.

3255.jpg

alpha-protocol-conversation.jpg

Delterius

Arcane
Could be a good way of solving the "WTF WHY IS HE PUNCHING THE QUESTGIVER I DIDN'T WANT TO SAY THAT" problem that affects their dialogue wheel.

Of course, an even better way would be to just have better writing for the choices so no people don't get surprised by seemingly trollish results...drop the fucking wheel system if it only allows for five short words on each dialogue option.

*Flashback*

Back when Delterius was on the BSN

'Guys you don't need a heart icon to know you're flirting'

'My girl told Leliana she liked shoes too and next thing I knew they were humping each other'

The situation is hopeless comrade CK.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Other than the dialog wheel bullshit a lot of that sounds decent, really. I have a feeling they are going to put everything they have into this to try and make up for DA2. Whether it works or not...

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Three wheels is a logical evolution of coloured icons. So now retarded manchildren would know in which dialogues should be IMPURTUNT DECISHUNZ(Up- goooodm down - baaaaad, middul - teh funney) and in which they should go by colour.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
There will be a jar of bees, which can be used as a combat item which according to Bioware: "You throw it, the jar breaks open, and little bees fly around stinging your opponents."

(this video is worse than something really bad, but there you go.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom