Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Rake

Arcane
PoE's still going to make DAI and everything else look like amateur hour. David Gaider's looking forward to it. He's also looking forward to Dead State, but that's from a writing-only perspective.
What will you do when Bioware and Bethesda are the only ones left standing?
Obsidian is in a better position than it ever was. If it didn't close until now, it isn't happening.
Yeah that WOT clone has "Not desperation move" written all over it.
It will propably make them way more money than AP or F.NV ever did though. Being shit doesn't come in the equation. From a buisness point, it's no diferent than their previous games.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
PoE's still going to make DAI and everything else look like amateur hour. David Gaider's looking forward to it. He's also looking forward to Dead State, but that's from a writing-only perspective.
What will you do when Bioware and Bethesda are the only ones left standing?
Obsidian is in a better position than it ever was. If it didn't close until now, it isn't happening.
Yeah that WOT clone has "Not desperation move" written all over it.
It will propably make them way more money than AP or F.NV ever did though. Being shit doesn't come in the equation. From a buisness point, it's no diferent than their previous games.
From a business point in that it'll be mediocre and make publishers wary to bring them on as a a developer, yes.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I hope I am not too late to contribute to the official codexian rechristening of this game. Personally, I am quite partial to appending "dinkquisition" on after the semicolon, and I think it would be a real missed opportunity to pass up on it. After all, it is going to be a long time before a game more worthy of such a pun arrives.

I can only hope that after 146 pages, I alone possessed the raw processing power, the singularity of thought, and the great and thrumming electric potential of the neuron to design this.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Your thoughts were not solicited, you fucking dink.

Besides, it is the principal of the thing that matters. This game will presumably have you seeking out and levelling judgement on the intolerant, conservatives, RPG fans, and whatever else Bioware writers tend to dislike. All the while you will collect a diverse but united bisexual harem to aid you in both your quest and your earthly needs. This is going to be a dinkquisition regardless of name.

...I wanted to call it chinkquisition, but I couldn't find any justificiation for it.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Your thoughts were not solicited, you fucking dink.

Besides, it is the principal of the thing that matters. This game will presumably have you seeking out and levelling judgement on the intolerant, conservatives, RPG fans, and whatever else Bioware writers tend to dislike. All the while you will collect a diverse but united bisexual harem to aid you in both your quest and your earthly needs. This is going to be a dinkquisition regardless of name.

...I wanted to call it chinkquisition, but I couldn't find any justificiation for it.

A game like that would be hilarious. Imagine Bioware insulting entitled fans with all the subtlety of a brick and going so far out of their way to seem progressive. That would be amazing. Instead, we're going to get something worse: a boring game. (Keep in mind, I predicted the same thing for ME3, so lets hope I'm wrong.)

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
tumblr_myadbhEhV91s3s4rjo2_1280.png

To wear hats, or to not wear hats. Yet again, Bioware provides vast amounts of choices!!!

:lol:

:hmmm:Woah, that looks completely different than the entirety of the game I played! But I suppose since it exists somewhere it IS in fact what Dragon Age 2 looks like.

Dragon Age 2 looks better as far as I can see, but maybe it's the result of better art design. Anything is better than the generic fantasy crap that was in DA:O.

dryan

Arcane
Don't forget the sad looking ogres and Bethany's mummified sausage fingers.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That's not a typical screenshot, it's a close-up of a low-poly ambient NPC. They had to take drastic memory-saving measures to get it to run decently without looking as awful as Origins on consoles.

Athelas

Arcane
:hmmm:Woah, that looks completely different than the entirety of the game I played! But I suppose since it exists somewhere it IS in fact what Dragon Age 2 looks like.

Dragon Age 2 looks better as far as I can see, but maybe it's the result of better art design. Anything is better than the generic fantasy crap that was in DA:O.
Well, I was sorta exaggerating with that screenshot. Still, the original point made was that they overhauled the graphics for Dragon Age 2, which runs counter to how to do a quick slamdunk sequel.

Don't forget the sad looking ogres and Bethany's mummified sausage fingers.
I will agree on the hands, those were nightmarish, although Bioware's hands have always been fucking hideous, Mass Effect and DA2 did it the worst.

Ogres? Not so much, they could have been done better, but I liked the unified look of the dark spawn. DA:O ogres were cool, but didn't work as darkspawn to me, they just looked like some sort of gorilla creatures that should have been in a forest. Not a deep roads dwelling spawn of darkness or w/e.

Well, I was sorta exaggerating with that screenshot. Still, the original point made was that they overhauled the graphics for Dragon Age 2, which runs counter to how to do a quick slamdunk sequel.
Ah, well, I won't argue with that. But still, I appreciate the redesign, it lacked polish, but the concepts are almost universally better to me. I don't have inertia when it comes to Origins because I didn't care about it that much. Also, Qun master race looks much better:
Sten-dragon-age-origins.jpg
Qunari.jpg

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
:hmmm:Woah, that looks completely different than the entirety of the game I played!

You didn't look too hard, then. Most of the central characters and textures are alright-ish, but mass-textures like rocks and extras like the elf-girl look like something out of the 1998 3D games.

Can't have low res rocks ruining my experience. :D

But seriously, sarcasm aside, most games have shitty looking rocks, and frankly I don't mind the low res generic NPCs, I never took the time to look at their faces, but they did make the game feel more populated compared to DA:O's pop of like, 3 characters per zone, and yeah I prefer that they focus on central characters and textures. If they asked me if I wanted better looking rocks and clutter NPCs, over performance I can assure you that my answer would be no.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I don't give two fucks either way, really, I never got the complaining about DA graphics. I was just commenting in lieu of your conversation with Athelas that the low-poly shit in DA2 is fairly noticable.

I don't really care how DA3 looks either. I would change the exaggerated artstyle way before I thought about texture quality, and even with the artstyle I'm kind of "eh, whatevs".

Don't have much faith in DA3 after DA2 anyway.

Caim

Arcane
I never played DA2, but please tell me Hawke always has that "I can't believe I signed up for this shit" face.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Most people here are too "adult" to like stylized graphics and demand grey/brown grimdark fantasy settings. I thought DA2 looked pretty unique and attractive, especially with the high-res texture pack. I also liked that it was the first fantasy game to make elves look like more than just humans with pointed ears. Graphics were the least of that game's problems.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Yup I couldn't really care less what the game looked like if it actually involved quality gameplay and writing. Unfortunately they went 0/3 which is a whole different can of worms

Caim

Arcane
Yup I couldn't really care less what the game looked like if it actually involved quality gameplay and writing. Unfortunately they went 0/3 which is a whole different can of worms
- Shit graphics but good gameplay and writing
- Shit gameplay but good graphics and writing
- Shit writing but good gameplay and graphics

Which is most preferable and why?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom