Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
mods will fix em

Rake

Arcane
Yup I couldn't really care less what the game looked like if it actually involved quality gameplay and writing. Unfortunately they went 0/3 which is a whole different can of worms
- Shit graphics but good gameplay and writing
- Shit gameplay but good graphics and writing
- Shit writing but good gameplay and graphics

Which is most preferable and why?
You already have put them in the correct order ;)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yup I couldn't really care less what the game looked like if it actually involved quality gameplay and writing. Unfortunately they went 0/3 which is a whole different can of worms

Writing is more important than gameplay?

dryan

Arcane

Yes, VtM:B is proof.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Regardless, Bioware has mediocre writers and even more banal gameplay if their latest games are any indication, pretty graphics aside, i see nothing of interest in the latest inquisition news. If i wanted to play something fun with the Frostbite engine, ill play BF4.

Gord

Arcane
I also liked that it was the first fantasy game to make elves look like more than just humans with pointed ears.

Well, actually...

Morrowind%2C_Dunmer.jpg

1-revengeoffargoth.png

And that's only 2002, I'm sure you could fin examples further back, e.g. in other TES games.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Yes, VtM:B is proof.

VtM:B's gameplay is fine, it's only the combat that is shit.

Last edited:

kris

Arcane
Dragon Age 2 looks better as far as I can see, but maybe it's the result of better art design. Anything is better than the generic fantasy crap that was in DA:O.

Most people here are too "adult" to like stylized graphics and demand grey/brown grimdark fantasy settings. I thought DA2 looked pretty unique and attractive, especially with the high-res texture pack. I also liked that it was the first fantasy game to make elves look like more than just humans with pointed ears. Graphics were the least of that game's problems.

what was it that looked unique?

Personally i found it looking very uninspired. Right at the start you are in some super-bland one color hellscape which I don't even understand were it should be. while the big city is okay, you spend way to much time in some of the most boring outdoor landscape i seen. DA3 look way better as far as this is concerned, even with the lack of imagination shown.

Rake

Arcane

I guess it depends on how you define gameplay. If gameplay=combat, then yes. If you consider that PS:T,VtM:B, MotB, or KotOR2 had good gameplay, then no, but quest structure and dialogue options(scripted C&C and stat checks included) isn't what comes first to mind when someone says gameplay, and i would argue that quality of writing also affects those to a point. VtM:B with modern Bioware's writing wouldn't be the same game.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Keep in mind that DA2 sold abysmally and people hated it, and ME3 was so bad that it became notorious throughout the entire gaming community. Bioware has probably eroded their fanbase somewhat."

No.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
what was it that looked unique?

Personally i found it looking very uninspired. Right at the start you are in some super-bland one color hellscape which I don't even understand were it should be. while the big city is okay, you spend way to much time in some of the most boring outdoor landscape i seen. DA3 look way better as far as this is concerned, even with the lack of imagination shown.

The animated style and exaggerated proportions, specifically. If you don't think that looked different then I don't know what to tell you. Note it can still look boring despite looking different.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
2484483-dai_a.jpg

Does that guy have a lightsaber?

"Keep in mind that DA2 sold abysmally and people hated it, and ME3 was so bad that it became notorious throughout the entire gaming community. Bioware has probably eroded their fanbase somewhat."

No.
Don't worry Volourn. We know you're still loyal.

2484489-dai_f.jpg

nice bush
This is exactly how I would have designed the trolls if I were in charge, love it, and this game's visuals in general so far.

Although I'd also put graphics below story and gameplay, I still value them, and it's damn nice to see a fantasy RPG with current gen graphics.

Athelas

Arcane
Isn't that supposed to be an ogre? But yeah, it is pretty well-designed. And you gotta love Bioware for putting so much detail into their hairy bush.

Caim

Arcane
Does that guy have a lightsaber?
And dwarf have an RPG. Stinger?
I feel like Bioware forgot which game they were making at some point.

Dragon Age: TOR
Calling it now: at the end of the game you leave the world to go fight the True Darkspawn, then fade into myth until you're brought back for a shitty MMO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom