Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Delterius

Arcane
It was not bad for encounters, but for exploration is was near useless, at least i felt that the game was designed to be played mostly from the third person behind the PC camera. Down to the fixed camera perspective with no tilt option while zoomed out.
Its essentially the NwN2 camera done better. It may not be called 'exploration mode' but the third person perspective is meant for that. It is a 3D game after all.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
What a schizophrenic series.

I wouldn't think that taking steps back and re avaluating game design after releasing DA2 would be a bad thing.
It isn't a bad thing, but the fact that this game went from being a "Baldur's Gate spiritual successor" to what we see today is pretty depressing, and it's all thanks to consoles.
Consoles cannot make decisions
No, but they can influence them. And they certainly did with the Dragon Age franchise.

Awesome button; button, awesome.
Bioware wanted to dumb down the franchise, not consoles. (As well as Bioware wanted to transform good but lightweight RPG of Mass Effect 1 into broshooter with dialogs in ME2 and 3)

XCOM, Dark Souls, Witcher 2 (and for sure some others) are succesful console games which don't suffer from awesome buton, handholding and instant-hero philosophies (or not too much)

Also if consoles and colsolists wanted dumbed down and cocky DA, DA2 would have been HUUUUGE success.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
From what i saw in the video demo, the tactical view is not very zoomed out, and actually has a somewhat counterintuitive perspective, much like DA:O

It's a pity bioware doesn't see the need to include an option to pull back the camera as far as the player would wish (within a limit), ridiculous when you take into account that TOR or WoW allow more camera zoom out than a single player rpg.
The main difference is that in DA:O camera did not follow the marker.

Ninjerk

Arcane
What a schizophrenic series.

I wouldn't think that taking steps back and re avaluating game design after releasing DA2 would be a bad thing.
It isn't a bad thing, but the fact that this game went from being a "Baldur's Gate spiritual successor" to what we see today is pretty depressing, and it's all thanks to consoles.
Consoles cannot make decisions
No, but they can influence them. And they certainly did with the Dragon Age franchise.

Awesome button; button, awesome.
Bioware wanted to dumb down the franchise, not consoles. (As well as Bioware wanted to transform good but lightweight RPG of Mass Effect 1 into broshooter with dialogs in ME2 and 3)

XCOM, Dark Souls, Witcher 2 (and for sure some others) are succesful console games which don't suffer from awesome buton, handholding and instant-hero philosophies (or not too much)

Also if consoles and colsolists wanted dumbed down and cocky DA, DA2 would have been HUUUUGE success.

No but Witcher 2 took a step backwards for every step forwards, in terms of gameplay.

Rake

Arcane
I played the whole DA:O in top down view with no problem. If DA:I camera is the same i'm ok.

Stabwound

Arcane
DA:O was fine in top-down, but the way monster spawns worked made it so that you could see monsters on the sides of walls, or nail them with AOE attacks because you could see some farther away than their aggro distance was. That was pretty cheesy and stupid.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I think the camera was too close in Origins, shouldn't be able to shoot (or get shot from) further than you can see. Even when scrolling the camera the max distance it allowed, things would still be firing from out of sight. The best thing to do in those situations was to switch to third person so you could get them in sight and shut them down with your own ranged units. I don't really like that. Wish they would just go fog of war style rather than an anchored camera.

Edit: :lol: Volourn is great, ask him about NWN.

Last edited:

Stabwound

Arcane
I can understand newfags being retarded bioware apologists... but what is Volorun's story? is he someone like Roguey or Skyway I should know about? or is his girlfriend a writer at Bioware?
Equal parts troll, fanboi and Biowhore, with an emphasis on the first part.

I can understand newfags being retarded bioware apologists... but what is Volorun's story? is he someone like Roguey or Skyway I should know about? or is his girlfriend a writer at Bioware?
:lol:

meanwhile other newfags try to gain some kodex kool kredits and shit on and bash everything that is not "old school" enough. there must be always balance in galaxy:kingcomrade:

ask volourn about nwn or ff8
:hero:

Thanks.. its good to know which oldfag is retarded.

meanwhile other newfags try to gain some kodex kool kredits and shit on and bash everything that is not "old school" enough. there must be always balance in galaxy:kingcomrade:

I emant eremtia who is probably Volrun's alt.
About the oldskool thingh, I am irrelevant by codex standards i guess. (no gold box, no wasteland, no realms of arkania, no JA2, no might and magic, no wiz except 8 and so on)

eremita

Savant
Thanks.. its good to know which oldfag is retarded.

I emant eremtia who is probably Volrun's alt.
About the oldskool thingh, I am irrelevant by codex standards i guess. (no gold box, no wasteland, no realms of arkania, no JA2, no might and magic, no wiz except 8 and so on)
Nope. ;)

eremita

Savant
Oh shit, I'm new around here and I already embarrassed myself... Sorry Guys, please have patience, I will learn!

So, hate everything Bioware. Check! :salute:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I emant eremtia who is probably Volrun's alt."

Fuck off, you piece of shit.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
are there any good mods that you would recommend for NWN Volourn?

I haven't played in some years but I'm currently waiting on "Fate of the Auren" to be concluded...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's a pity bioware doesn't see the need to include an option to pull back the camera as far as the player would wish (within a limit), ridiculous when you take into account that TOR or WoW allow more camera zoom out than a single player rpg.
Hardware limitations given graphics/engine.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Was it Gaider that wrote the Sleeping Man (or whatever the fuck he was called) in Hordes of the Underdark? 'Cos that seemed to be heavily influenced by PST and it was horrible."

You are an idiot

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom