Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That still doesn't explain how to represent them on popamole dialogue wheelchair
The same way AP handles professional/suave/aggressive and DA2 handles diplomatic/charming/aggressive.

Those are pretty much just D&D alignments.

Not really. That's actually a "puzzle" where you have to read a bunch of accounts for statues representative of different folks involved in Durlags Tower and you are tasked with picking the correct answer. It would be pretty difficult to do with a paraphrased system in a dialogue wheel, not to mention if you had puzzle with permutations greater than 3 choose 3.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Those are pretty much just D&D alignments.

Not really. That's actually a "puzzle" where you have to read a bunch of accounts for statues representative of different folks involved in Durlags Tower and you are tasked with picking the correct answer. It would be pretty difficult to do with a paraphrased system in a dialogue wheel, not to mention if you had puzzle with permutations greater than 3 choose 3.
The dialogue wheel can support displaying up to six options at a time. In this case none of them would be attached to a specific personality.

But there's never going to be any kind of puzzle like that in a modern Bioware game because it's hokey as all hell.

Kitako

Arcane
I have an idea to improve the dialogue wheel. Add a fourth option - a fart. So now you can answer with polite, sarcastic, angry or you can fart without saying anything. That way you instead of an epic fantasy adventure involving deep moral conflict between mages and templars you can roleplay a silent Hawke with flatulence problems. Fart comedy is seriously underrepresented in videogame media.+M
Too late for that, the visionary mind of Peter Molyneux already thought of that kind of emergent gameplay.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
RPS: You were discussing all the potential repercussions for choices. You were saying that it’s very possible for content to be blocked off if you make certain choices.
Laidlaw: Absolutely.

RPS:
Everybody first assumed your combat was inspired by The Witcher, but it almost looks kind of Dark Soulsy with all the rolling. What sort of basic rhythm are you aiming for?
Laidlaw: Honestly, a lot of it is stuff we’ve done in the previous DAs. We’ve upped the fidelity of the presentation. I don’t think evading lives in the realm of Dark Souls, nor do I think the Witcher owns strafing. But it’s abilities and movement that are designed to be smooth. They’re designed to let you focus on an enemy or pull back as you see fit. They fundamentally rely on things like your stamina. They have the elements of resource management throughout them.

The other big thing, that for us is a huge consideration, is making sure that stuff like “I’m rolling to the side!’ is workable within that pause-and-play and with the tactical. That’s something that people sometimes have trouble wrapping their heads around, but all you have to picture is, I trigger the evade ability, I get to drive a little AOE like a compass around, I say that’s where I want to roll, and that gives you the direction for where you go as soon as you unpause.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It really does have to be said their unwillingness to give up the RTwP combat is... commendable? I guess? I don't know... I'm amazed they haven't just made it hack and slash yet.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Strange they didn't, most people abandoned the ship after DA2 and probably rolled to Obsidian, knowing Bioware would never bring them BG experience again. Maybe it's just marketing move, they want to hold ze line and still appeal to as many crowds as possible. Keep the image and shit.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How many times must I bring up that Laidlaw quote where he says he wants to bring party-based RPGs to the masses?

He was also quite pleased that Origins won an award for being accessible to disabled people. A full-on action game would be less accessible.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How many times must I bring up that Laidlaw quote where he says he wants to bring party-based RPGs to the masses?

He was also quite pleased that Origins won an award for being accessible to disabled people. A full-on action game would be less accessible.

Roguey, this kind of talk is propaganda and you know it. "Bring party-based RPGs to the masses", give me a break. :lol:

(Of course, I know that what developers post on forums constitutes the entirety of your knowledge about games, so the idea that they might be lying must be frightening to you.)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"getting killed and then you get to tell him (the mayor) something"

More proof you didn't play the game. There is no mayor in the fucking game.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"That extreme example is exactly the thing which makes it believable and distinguish normal human being from some spy James Bond shit that belongs to games like Alpha Protocol. Sorry, you may hide from your new girlfriend that you're sensitive pussy or agrresive dick but that's not gonna make you fucking Jim Carrey. If you're actually a nice guy I don't expect from your co-workers telling me you're aggresive dictator who makes everyone shit their pants. What's the fucking point of that anyway?? You're the one who is extreme here: not being yourself =/= different person in different situations, you're maybe more subtle or more trying but thats it. I simply don't believe your experience with people unless you live in a madhouse... DA2 lets you react/act differently in majority of time but in few critical situations the NPC just won't believe you being a bad-ass when you actually are white knight... And I'm fine with that because I'm not in Alpha Protocol, where pretending, bluffing etc in conversations is one of the main pillar of the game.|"

Duh. Reputation matters. If Superman threatens to murder some criminal the criminal likely won't take him seriously even though he is super strong because Superman has the rep of being a good guy who doesn't kill. However, if it is The Punisher in that situation, the threatened criminal is likely to take the threat much more seriously since the Punisher isn't known for avoiding violence and has problem killing those he deems 'bad guys'.

Capiche? Reputation and past behaviour does matter and does influence what others think of you and how they react to you and since you play (eventually) the well known Championion of the City, you rep often preceeds you. Duh.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey, this kind of talk is propaganda and you know it. "Bring party-based RPGs to the masses", give me a break. :lol:

(Of course, I know that what developers post on forums constitutes the entirety of your knowledge about games, so the idea that they might be lying must be frightening to you.)
Nah, telling people who get angry when millions of "casuals" also like a thing they like that you're going to make games that appeal to those people isn't what you tell them when you want to win them over. "You are not our primary audience" doesn't go over too well.

The proof is in the pudding. DAI won't require you to make quick decisions like an action game or RTS would.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nah, telling people who get angry when millions of "casuals" also like a thing they like that you're going to make games that appeal to those people isn't what you tell them when you want to win them over. "You are not our primary audience" doesn't go over too well.

Irrelevant. "I want to bring X to the masses!" are the words of a marketer, not a game designer. They shouldn't be taken seriously.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Irrelevant. "I want to bring X to the masses!" are the words of a marketer, not a game designer. They shouldn't be taken seriously.
Game designers aren't a monolithic entity who all have the same ideas. There are some who really want to make games for Everyone.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Game designers aren't a monolithic entity who all have the same ideas. There are some who really want to make games for Everyone.
Those work on different genres/platforms.

Or should.

Xeon

Augur
Volourn, Sorry, I meant the Viscount. Beat the game once and couldn't remember so apologies for not googling the title before.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Watching the Pax demo it visually looks best from all parts, especially regarding, mountains, skybox, more open environment. It looks like the way Dragon Age:Origins should have been.
But nah... they can suck my ass. Before I touch this "Pseudo Dark High Fantasy" crap again, I'll play Skyrim.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Delterius: indeed it has better worldbuilding. And regarding the story of DA: let's just copy the story from LOTR 1:1 and put it in the game? Poor...
meanwhileInPoland: as you realized it is less shit than da2. Let me add it's also less shit than da1 which was just a tubelevel game with pseudochoices. The selection of races was boring at best (we only had the 3 mainstream boring elf-dwarf-human races (based on LOTR) to choose from) - and now they have an additional race (qunari) in da3 which looks almost the same as a human. Why not offer some of fantasy creatures appearing in previous parts as companions in your party?... and don't get me started on the bland WOW "skillsystem" of da

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom