Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Ninjerk

Arcane
Can we just give this eremita guy the plant?

But there's the thing - they don't even fixate on telling the story anymore.
But Gaider continues to make it clear that the romances are optional content and will always be secondary to their summer blockbuster Whedon-knock-off shit.
Well, he certainly is butthurt that his "writing" isn't taken seriously. But he isn't the project lead, and EA overlords probably know that Bioware products are selling not because of quality writing, original story or challenging combat. So they would be forced to write romances even if they don't want to (though I doubt that's the case with Bio writing team). So "romances are optional" is kinda hypocritical stance, given that they (and party interaction in general) often become main focus in later games.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Well, he certainly is butthurt that his "writing" isn't taken seriously. But he isn't the project lead, and EA overlords probably know that Bioware products are selling not because of quality writing, original story or challenging combat. So they would be forced to write romances even if they don't want to (though I doubt that's the case with Bio writing team). So "romances are optional" is kinda hypocritical stance, given that they (and party interaction in general) often become main focus in later games.
Bioware games sell for a lot of different reasons, considering they're multi-million sellers. There are people who do like the writing and combat. Some are in it for the romance but as Chris Priestly noted ages ago, the telemetry data says they're a minority. A passionate, vocal minority. Not unlike turn-based combat fans lol.

Saying they're a main focus is hyperbolic. The stories aren't any less coherent if you never romance anybody.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Pretty sure a ton of people buy Bioware games for the story. I have actually seen Bioware referred to as the masters of video game storytelling a TON of times by press and fans alike. Shitty writing has never stopped millions of people from loving a story before. See: almost every mainstream hit movie ever made.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, I would bet the majority of people who buy Bioware games would say they buy it for the "story", and by story they might mean character interaction, and they might mean story.

Last edited:

Coyote

Arcane
I kinda hope they don't use that system at least not the one from DA2. I really hate when the PC doesn't say what I think he is going to say like the one with the Mayor's son getting killed and then you get to tell him (the mayor) something, I thought the Neutral/funny response was decent but nope it was pretty much a dick response IIRC.

I believe it was stated somewhere upthread that they'll be using the dialogue wheel, but they've also finally relented on their paraphrase-only policy and allowed the option of seeing the exact words your character will use despite Gaider's declaration that they would not do so, even as an option that could be toggled from the menu, because players are too stupid to make their own decisions.

Edit: Nope, turns out that they're just adding a second paraphrase. :lol:

z7TcvOW.png

Ninjerk

Arcane
And the actual line the character says will be, "Kill the wounded, set fire to the keep"

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Honestly every other Bioware derp aside the paraphrase thing INFURIATES me. Every single time the character says something I didn't expect when I clicked I rage, and it happens like 10 times a play session.

I kinda hope they don't use that system at least not the one from DA2. I really hate when the PC doesn't say what I think he is going to say like the one with the Mayor's son getting killed and then you get to tell him (the mayor) something, I thought the Neutral/funny response was decent but nope it was pretty much a dick response IIRC.

I believe it was stated somewhere upthread that they'll be using the dialogue wheel, but they've also finally relented on their paraphrase-only policy and allowed the option of seeing the exact words your character will use despite Gaider's declaration that they would not do so, even as an option that could be toggled from the menu, because players are too stupid to make their own decisions.

z7TcvOW.png

actually here its not a second paraphrasing your answers in a dialogue but a short summary of decision you are supposed to make at the end of the mission.
last time i played mass effect shephard throw some guy from roof when i just wanted some honest answers+M

Bioware games sell for a lot of different reasons, considering they're multi-million sellers. There are people who do like the writing and combat. Some are in it for the romance but as Chris Priestly noted ages ago, the telemetry data says they're a minority. A passionate, vocal minority. Not unlike turn-based combat fans lol.

Saying they're a main focus is hyperbolic. The stories aren't any less coherent if you never romance anybody.
Well, I don't know, it's not like this quote backed up by stats, he explicitly states that " Yet, it is a relatively small percentage of players who actually play them (yes I do have stats to back up this claim, but no, I am not sharing them). " And, like I said, romances and party interaction in general are the main selling point, and both can be viewed as "story" or "writing", so when people say that they play Bio games for the story, they first mean romances and party interaction, and overall plot only second to them.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Right, because we are all fucking psychopats and can completely change our behavioral patterns... If you wanna play inconsistent character who contradicts himself in every fucking encounter than you're probably right.:roll:
Yeah, it's more fitting to play as a dumbuck. With tone faggotry if you act diplomatically and favorably towards mages then you are forced to act diplomatic towards templars, even if you've chosen every "hate templars" options before. it's not even a complex aspect of RPG - to have different attitudes towards different factions\characters. But with tone all faction concept goes down the drain.

z7TcvOW.png
It's ironic that Biowhores decided to fix paraphrases with another paraphrases. Not because they stated there will be no such thing earlier - changes during developement is a normal thing, but the decision is funny because paraphrases could be fixed with decent writing only. Add a paraphrase that people will understand and make characters act accordingly. But no, they will not try to improve the quality of their writing, instead, they will add complete explanation - the very thing they argued about, when debating about dialogue wheel. "Players want to be surprised!" "Only vocal minority wish to hear things they just read!"

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Had a lot of time on my way to work, decided to listen to biowhore's PAX
http://biowarebase.nerdappropriate.com/
Dragon Age: Inquisition - Making Your Mark
Visuals - Taking inspiration from samurai movies but trying to implement it with...duh...western style.
DA2 - things happen to you, DA:I - you ar emaking things happen.
Focus of physical impact onj the world - build statue to raise morale
inquisition will not conquer but establish control in certain places - kicking bandits or cultists out of some keep asan example
Bigger evvect of race selection - instead of Origin approach where at best you'd bec alled knife-ear if eld thye wwant to spend time on bigger events. Example - if you are a Quinari some quest is much harder to complete.
Origin - everyone had to listen to you, DA:I - you'll make them listen to you.
No unique origins. No dwarf mages.
Central location, i.e. base with all companions stationed there. More interactions with companions.
Nations will react on your actions, likeburning villages and villagers.
Dragon Age: Inquisition - Tactical Combat
Freeze+shatter is back, plus flanking is in.
AI rebuilt from the scratch.
Creatures will have roles
Party AI's major function si to support leading character, i.e. Inquisitor. If playing a mage melee party members will intercept enemy melee.
Lack of full healing by their idea should force players to think if they must fight or avoid some encounter, for example with monsters during exploration.
- "How DA:I tac mode is betterthan Origins?"
- "Ehm...welll....hmmmm....consoles had it too!"
"bringing pause-and -play exerience for all players acoss the board" - that's an actual phrase!
All destructible world elements will be marked as such
Cover for and from archers mentioned.
General idea - longer fights and more challenging combat with smaller number of creatures.
Areas with different levels - some underlever some challenging.
Companions will get back after a fight if being knocked down. helth will be regenerated to a particular threshold.
Party separation limited to tac map.
Regarding action faggots and masterrace tactical players - abilities that you can turn on in tactical is equal to "holding a button" for faggots
"If you are playing on higher difficulty setting then you always have an option to pause and use tactical mode"

eremita

Savant
Right, because we are all fucking psychopats and can completely change our behavioral patterns... If you wanna play inconsistent character who contradicts himself in every fucking encounter than you're probably right.:roll:
No, some people play nice with people they know, they dont with people they dont. Some people simply reacts to the pace of the conversation the other side sets.
I for instance am not the same person at home that i am work, or with my PnP group, or with my neighbors. Not only that, my ability to express myself isnt tied to how much of a nice guy/prick/cunt i am, you fucking retard.
Did you play that game? Because I'm tired schooling you... You can be nice to some people, you can be nice to your comrades/family, but that doesn't change your personality (being polite/aggresive type). There are people who are nice to their family memebers but have aggresive personality (Helping your mum won't change the fact that you've got a temper/react agrresively in situations/dialogues ). These two aspects are not in conflict - you're combining two different things... You can role-play these stuff in DA2 that's all I'm saying. I've got a lot of problems with that game but I won't deny that I surely could role-play whoever I fucking wanted. CC being often nonexistent doesn't change the fact that dialogue system/mechanic itself is legit.

EDIT: Oh I forgot calling you a fucking idiot. Seems like a thing in our conversation so there you go...

Nope, i havent met a single person that is the same at work and on his private time. I also havent met a single person that has more "skill" at being good and therefore is more believable, some people can lie, others cant, some people know how to confront, others dont, some people can make nice speeches, others cant, but those are skills they've acquired through their life and you being a good or a bad person, even if it has some weight, is not a determinant factor.

The dialogue mechanic is retarded, AP kept track of your responses and changed the way npcs reacted to you in a subtle yet believable way, you made a sort of reputation and anyone that researched you knew how likely you were to take a stance on a given conversation. And that is how its fucking done.
The conversation you had with your mother this morning is in no way relevant for the business meeting you are going to hold tonight, it will not change its success rate, it shouldnt change how it goes at all under normal circumstances.

And you are schooling no one son, you are simply defending something that has no sense or meaning and trying to look fair by saying "but i didnt enjoy the game".
Well, I simply don't agree with you. Human beings have more or less fixed temperament, expressions and reaction patterns when dealing with others. The fact that you can control yourself when talking to your boss has nothing to do with it. It's more likely you're not entirely expressing yourself, but certainly not denying or even contradict yourself. Well, at least doing it convincigly unless you're fucking psycho, first class actor, spy or whatever- see below. You said: "i havent met a single person that is the same at work and on his private time". Well, I never met a person that is funny/entertaining on his private time and completely grumpy at work (once again unless you're fucking psycho, first class actor, or spy). I'm talking about more essential aspects. That, again, is not taking your choice away...

However, I agree that the idea was executed well in AP. But their goals were entirely different, so in many ways it stands on different principles (you're playing fucking James Bond).

I never said I didn't enoy that game. I said it's shitty in certain aspect (in others it is not). I also enjoyed Arcanum - and that is in a loooot of aspects very shitty game.

Oh, and I thank you for this conversation because at least it's about something related to the actual game. Not about Chris Priestley eating all his co-workers and shit...

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
The point is, you don't need so many answers with personality type dialogue system. There is nothing in the whole fucking world that can't be summed up in to either friendly/diplomatic, sarcastic/ironic/humorous or agressive/straightforward answer.

Fuck you.
Fuck you.
Fuck you.

Shadenuat

Arcane
There is nothing in the whole fucking world that can't be summed up in to either friendly/diplomatic, sarcastic/ironic/humorous or agressive/straightforward answer.
Nothing in bioware writing for sure

Good to see they finally accepted who they are

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Well, I simply don't agree with you. Human beings have more or less fixed temperament, expressions and reaction patters when dealing with others. The fact that you can control yourself when talking to your boss has nothing to do with it. It's more likely you're not entirely expressing yourself, but certainly not denying or even contradict yourself. Well, at least doing it convincigly unless you're fucking psycho, first class actor, spy or whatever- see below.

You said it yourself, just with a extreme example. you only have to know how to put on a mask, and how well you do it is determined by how much you do it.

You are not the same person when you are: trying to talk to the girl you like; the woman youve been living half your life with; your son; the man you hate; your boss; your best friend and a huge list of etcs.
You act differently according to the situation, and your skill facing that situation depends on your wisdom, the confidence you have in yourself, the experience you have with those types of situations, and how flexible you are. If you are completly transparent, which you fucking arent, unless you are a child, then you you either have not fully developed or have attained enlightment.

Your skill facing those situations is not fucking determined by how good or bad youve been, you TWAT.

How fucking naive/idiotic can you be to even argue this?

PS: in AP you are not playing james bond, not always, thats one of the templates tho.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom