Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Truthtelling is not trolling.

Ah, Bioforums~.
bfZd6mu.png

WBJIiFb.jpg

HnMayeA.png

4llfhIm.png

e7x2vZW.png

h1giaxa.png

LOVZMNy.png

dGweJtm.png

WTFdfPt.png
[/spolier]

Athelas

Arcane
That post about lyrium jizz creeped even Gaider out, something I wouldn't have thought possible.

I als like how one of them praises Alpha Protocol's reactivity, and then quickly correct himself by saying that Obsidian just rips off everything from Bioware games.

eremita

Savant
"Dragon age never gave you a personality, it gave you a stance on a matter amongst several, but you were always the same prick, especially on dragon age 2."

Bullshit. DA2 especially gave you a personality. Don't fukkin' lie. It did so much that if you selected the same type of response repeatedly it would lead to Hawke speaking a certain way more often than not. Why do you lie?
Could you be more of a whinny little bitch?

anyway, a personality? that must be a fucking joke. describe the personality of the little cunt you played. tell me, was he of quick temper? modest? was he kind? soft hearted? did he value life? was he an idealist?
was he patient? did he take charge? do things his own way? was he a loner?

Merril had a personality, bland, boring and stupid, but a personality, you could guess what she would think of X or Y issue.

My character on shadowrun returns had a personality, he was a professional with a soft spot for his friends and family. and the game offered me a chance to play it as i saw fit. that is how its done, you couldnt play as anything you liked, but you had a chance to show a wide array of personality traits and form a somewhat interesting persona.

Hawke? apart from being a mass murderer hermit that lives in a cave and has a huge boner for quest markers. you could basically play him as a goodboy, a prick or a cunt, thats his whole array.
Pretty funny that YOU ARE calling someone whiny bitch. I haven't seen such an agrresivel little prick in a loooooong time... But you're problably 15 years old so I forgive you. Anyway, all you do is talking about DA2 despite

Nope, It's the truth.:yeah:
You meant "r00fles!".

Never knew Volourn was a potato.
:troll:
I disagree with your bullshit so I'm a troll? You're funny (and pathetic).:avatard:

eremita

Savant
"Dialogue trees aren't for deciding who you are (they might, but indirectly and it isn't their primary purpose). They are for deciding what you say when that matters."

What you say defines who you are for others. Because... you know... people use words... well, you know - to understand each other. It depends on your PERSONALITY TYPE/ATTITUDE what exactly are you trying to express through WORDS (Well, unless you're hoping for some sick game where you're supposed to be a mean fuck who tortures himself with telling kind words...).

"If you had, you wouldn't have asked that question."
:rpgcodex:

Nope, It's the truth.:yeah:

Kinda like i can tell you are a fucking idiot just by reading your bullshit?

Dialogues dont decide who you are, not really. you can be an evil motherfucker that just masks himself as a good guy, waiting for the trust to grow and the time to strike for maximum profit. you can just be a liar, or you can be a tough good guy that speaks with actions and not words. And all that cant be realistically represented with just dialogue alone.

Dragon age never gave you a personality, it gave you a stance on a matter amongst several, but you were always the same prick, especially on dragon age 2.

What would have given you a "personality" would have been selecting 1 personality out of 3 and playing the whole game with the predetermined answers for that particular choice. There are other (better) ways, but well, i dont want to write a wall of text.
Also, educate yourself before you start talking bullshit: http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Dialogue_wheel

"The very first dialogue choice you make sets Hawke's initial personality. Note that this is the dialogue choice made during the introduction sequence, that will occur after class and gender are chosen, but before Hawke's appearance, portrait, the events of Dragon Age: Origins and the game difficulty are set.

If your first pick is a Diplomatic option, for example, Hawke's voice will adopt the Diplomatic tone. As you keep choosing similar options at the dialogue wheel, they "stack". If you were to decide to change your personality later on, it would take more than twice the amount of (either Humorous or Aggressive) dialogue lines to activate that version of Hawke's voice. The idea behind this system is to ensure a consistency in Hawke's delivery throughout each Act. After a certain number of specific dialogue choices, Hawke's personality is effectively crystallized.

At the start of each Act, Hawke retains his or her established personality, but the "stack" of the previous personality choices is reduced. This gives you a window of opportunity to change your dominant tone."

You are choosing a personality and some quest outcomes depends on it. For example, If you are "set" as diplomatic person, being agresive in some situations won't convince NPC. Or some dialogue/quest option won't show unless you're specific type of personality.

So obviously, you don't even get this shitty game (I think it's pretty shitty btw)...:killit:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Gaider talking about the pointlessness of "invisible" choices is funny considering
http://spring.me/JESawyer/q/571201879
So you've made it pretty clear that you're more interested in developing games than writing the stories in those games, despite your company's reputation. Do you at all resent that so many people keep focusing on Obsidian's writing?
Not at all, but I think people should have higher standards for game play. Slapping "RPG" on a game should not give it a free pass for clumsy or poorly balanced mechanics. Additionally, I believe that an RPG with a "great story" that does not mechanically work well with player choice might as well not be an RPG.

A lot of RPG designers fixate on telling the player a story instead of giving players tools to make *their* stories unique and reactive.
Yeah, Bioware.

Gaider talking about the pointlessness of "invisible" choices is funny considering
http://spring.me/JESawyer/q/571201879
So you've made it pretty clear that you're more interested in developing games than writing the stories in those games, despite your company's reputation. Do you at all resent that so many people keep focusing on Obsidian's writing?
Not at all, but I think people should have higher standards for game play. Slapping "RPG" on a game should not give it a free pass for clumsy or poorly balanced mechanics. Additionally, I believe that an RPG with a "great story" that does not mechanically work well with player choice might as well not be an RPG.

A lot of RPG designers fixate on telling the player a story instead of giving players tools to make *their* stories unique and reactive.
Yeah, Bioware.
But there's the thing - they don't even fixate on telling the story anymore.
KE2bmPk.jpg

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
:hmmm:

Well, I mean, uh, people can like the characters more than the story itself... that's pretty common... uh, right?

:rage:

bminorkey

The discussion about what makes a good **RPG**, yadda yadda, is kind of constraining. it's okay if your game doesn't end up an RPG, as long as it ends up good, which I think is a question of how you manage the talent you have on your team. if bioware had fantastic 360noscope writers, capitalizing on the story wouldve made sense. had it hired rock-solid artists and voice actors to boot, focusing on the characters would have made sense.but bioware had none of these things, and if you have none of these things, honing the gameplay mechanics and dynamics, and the worldbuilding is the safe route to go. which is why DA: Origins was better than DA2. the story sucked, but a lot of the content was cool and well-made (like the intro sequences and the dragons), and there was a lot of it, so you got immersed in the game anyway. DA2 wasn't just a bad RPG, it was a bad, bad game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lhynn

Arcane
Also, educate yourself before you start talking bullshit: http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Dialogue_wheel
"The very first dialogue choice you make sets Hawke's initial personality. Note that this is the dialogue choice made during the introduction sequence, that will occur after class and gender are chosen, but before Hawke's appearance, portrait, the events of Dragon Age: Origins and the game difficulty are set.
If your first pick is a Diplomatic option, for example, Hawke's voice will adopt the Diplomatic tone. As you keep choosing similar options at the dialogue wheel, they "stack". If you were to decide to change your personality later on, it would take more than twice the amount of (either Humorous or Aggressive) dialogue lines to activate that version of Hawke's voice. The idea behind this system is to ensure a consistency in Hawke's delivery throughout each Act. After a certain number of specific dialogue choices, Hawke's personality is effectively crystallized.
At the start of each Act, Hawke retains his or her established personality, but the "stack" of the previous personality choices is reduced. This gives you a window of opportunity to change your dominant tone."

You are choosing a personality and some quest outcomes depends on it. For example, If you are "set" as diplomatic person, being agresive in some situations won't convince NPC. Or some dialogue/quest option won't show unless you're specific type of personality.
So obviously, you don't even get this shitty game (I think it's pretty shitty btw)...

Fucking jesus, you can change your tone, as in, the inflection you put on your words. Also modifying the success of a conversation based on what youve said in the past to other people in other unrelated conversations has to be the dumbest shit i have read today, and ive had to suffer your posting, so thats saying something.

Also modifying the success of a conversation based on what youve said in the past to other people in other unrelated conversations has to be the dumbest shit

i doubt a fucking boy-scout could out of nowhere behave like a fucking tony montana and do this convincingly:roll:

eremita

Savant

So obviously, you don't even get this shitty game (I think it's pretty shitty btw)...

Fucking jesus, you can change your tone, as in, the inflection you put on your words. Also modifying the success of a conversation based on what youve said in the past to other people in other unrelated conversations has to be the dumbest shit i have read today, and ive had to suffer your posting, so thats saying something.
Right, because we are all fucking psychopats and can completely change our behavioral patterns... If you wanna play inconsistent character who contradicts himself in every fucking encounter than you're probably right.:roll:

Athelas

Arcane
Right, because we are all fucking psychopats and can completely change our behavioral patterns... If you wanna play inconsistent character who contradicts himself in every fucking encounter than you're probably right.:roll:
Even the most ordinary person is too complex to be distilled down to a three-legged dialogue wheel. Especially when that dialogue wheel is mostly used to select which waifu you want to fuck.

Xeon

Augur
I kinda hope they don't use that system at least not the one from DA2. I really hate when the PC doesn't say what I think he is going to say like the one with the Mayor's son getting killed and then you get to tell him (the mayor) something, I thought the Neutral/funny response was decent but nope it was pretty much a dick response IIRC.

About Hawk's personality I only remember when you meet Isabella some time in Chapter 2 (I think) and she asks you for a drink, and depending on your personality the PC answers her automaticly and she gains or loses loyalty points or whatever.

Edit:
I mean sure with the first response in the game you set your personality and you can change it if you choose other type of responses enough time but that is a little bad, no? I mean Hawk lost his mother or might have lost a sibling or something and they should have made it so you were able to change your personality at those kinds of critical moments IMO anyway instead of choosing something enough times to change a personality.

Lhynn

Arcane
No, some people play nice with people they know, they dont with people they dont. Some people simply reacts to the pace of the conversation the other side sets.
I for instance am not the same person at home that i am work, or with my PnP group, or with my neighbors. Not only that, my ability to express myself isnt tied to how much of a nice guy/prick/cunt i am, you fucking retard.

eremita

Savant
No, some people play nice with people they know, they dont with people they dont. Some people simply reacts to the pace of the conversation the other side sets.
I for instance am not the same person at home that i am work, or with my PnP group, or with my neighbors. Not only that, my ability to express myself isnt tied to how much of a nice guy/prick/cunt i am, you fucking retard.
Did you play that game? Because I'm tired schooling you... You can be nice to some people, you can be nice to your comrades/family, but that doesn't change your personality (being polite/aggresive type). There are people who are nice to their family memebers but have aggresive personality (Helping your mum won't change the fact that you've got a temper/react agrresively in situations/dialogues ). These two aspects are not in conflict - you're combining two different things... You can role-play these stuff in DA2 that's all I'm saying. I've got a lot of problems with that game but I won't deny that I surely could role-play whoever I fucking wanted. CC being often nonexistent doesn't change the fact that dialogue system/mechanic itself is legit.

EDIT: Oh I forgot calling you a fucking idiot. Seems like a thing in our conversation so there you go...

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Did you play that game? Because I'm tired schooling you... You can be nice to some people, you can be nice to your comrades/family, but that doesn't change your personality (being polite/aggresive type). There are people who are nice to their family memebers but have aggresive personality (Helping your mum won't change the fact that you've got a temper/react agrresively in situations/dialogues ). These two aspects are not in conflict - you're combining two different things... You can role-play these stuff in DA2 that's all I'm saying. I've got a lot of problems with that game but I won't deny that I surely could role-play whoever I fucking wanted. CC being often nonexistent doesn't change the fact that dialogue system/mechanic itself is legit.

EDIT: Oh I forgot calling you a fucking idiot. Seems like a thing in our conversation so there you go...

Nope, i havent met a single person that is the same at work and on his private time. I also havent met a single person that has more "skill" at being good and therefore is more believable, some people can lie, others cant, some people know how to confront, others dont, some people can make nice speeches, others cant, but those are skills they've acquired through their life and you being a good or a bad person, even if it has some weight, is not a determinant factor.

The dialogue mechanic is retarded, AP kept track of your responses and changed the way npcs reacted to you in a subtle yet believable way, you made a sort of reputation and anyone that researched you knew how likely you were to take a stance on a given conversation. And that is how its fucking done.
The conversation you had with your mother this morning is in no way relevant for the business meeting you are going to hold tonight, it will not change its success rate, it shouldnt change how it goes at all under normal circumstances.

And you are schooling no one son, you are simply defending something that has no sense or meaning and trying to look fair by saying "but i didnt enjoy the game".

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
But there's the thing - they don't even fixate on telling the story anymore.
But Gaider continues to make it clear that the romances are optional content and will always be secondary to their summer blockbuster Whedon-knock-off shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom