Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age must sell 2 million copies

I either wait until I hear so many quality things about a game (not omg best game evar!!! but constructive statements on quality) that I feel it's a must own or I torrent it to try it out. I've bought many games that I've torrented. I'm definitely not poor, but I'm not ready to throw fifty bucks at a mediocre to bad game, either.

Thank god I torrented Mass Effect and Fallout 3. Money saved.

Azarkon

Arcane
Isn't there a base truth here that we're not considering? What if the reason the industry is dying is because people are simply going to other things? I personally find that I spend more time on message boards these days than I do on games. What if the previously mentioned "social gaming" is the future? For those of you familiar with the younger generation, what are they spending most of their free time on these days? We shouldn't automatically assume that there will always be a place for video games.

Course, if "social gaming" is the next gen., then expect business people to figure out how to make massive $$$ out of that, next...

Nael

Arcane
Berekän said:
Remember the floppy times? I think that for every original floppy there was in a house there were other 30 pirated.

Heh. I have fond memories of my dad bringing home hundreds of pirated games home from work for the Commodore 64.

Stalin

Scholar
The gaming industry is not dying it just realised that its forums were populated by total of 50 people with 200 sock puppets each and 40 of those 50 lived with their moms and had no money. seriously rpg codexers or any nerds at all are whiney never satisfied bunch that i wouldn't want to design games for even if i could (which i can't cos i am busy boning your moms). Id rather design for kids on crack

Dnny

Educated
Just bought my copy on Steam but by golly they better cut the fat on next gen games unless internet connections dramatically get faster because 15 Gb, really ? even at my 1,1mbps rate it's going to take a while.

From what I've seen on the screenshots the graphics are ugly as fuck so what the hell is taking 15gb ? 300 hours of .wav files ?

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Dnny said:
Just bought my copy on Steam but by golly they better cut the fat on next gen games unless internet connections dramatically get faster because 15 Gb, really ? even at my 1,1mbps rate it's going to take a while.

From what I've seen on the screenshots the graphics are ugly as fuck so what the hell is taking 15gb ? 300 hours of .wav files ?

Apparently Steam hasn't compressed the game files, other services have.

Btw, what's the deal with that bioware social network site? Do I need to register an account there after buying the game, or do I get an account together with the game? (got mine off Steam as well)

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Volourn said:
"If games companies still made demos you'd actually see less piracy. "

Bullshit. Thieves are theives and they always some lazy excuse on why they did. Being 'poor' is no excuse. These are games. You don't need them. If you cna't afford a game, then guess what? GTFO

GTFO? Actually no, I believe I'll just torrent another game... ooh or maybe even a CD from an indie band this time! Is there a special place in hell for me?

Stalin

Scholar
well if a copy of PS3 (no piracy involved) game costs more than same game on pc then they can't be losing much money

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"They need to lower cost. Consoles games debut at 59.99."

You are an idiot. They lower prices any more, a blockbuste rgame would need to sell $5mil copies to make a healthy profit. Game prices are alreayd on apr or lower than they sued to be depsite the fact that the cost of devloping games (and marketing them) has gone up. The math is all screwed up.

It's real simple. If you cna't afford to buy a agme don't fuckin' buy it. Nor steal it. Getting a game is NOT a RIGHT. It's a privlegde one gets when they BUY it. FFS

Stop the fuckin' excuses for fuckin' thieves!

P.S. Also, gaming isn't 'dying'. Who came up with that bullshit myth?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Dnny said:

According to Bioware, yes. The "fully voiced" part takes up huge diskspace. As well as the game being pretty big itself.

Stalin

Scholar
Volourn said:

You are an idiot. They lower prices any more, a blockbuste rgame would need to sell $5mil copies to make a healthy profit. Game prices are alreayd on apr or lower than they sued to be depsite the fact that the cost of devloping games (and marketing them) has gone up. The math is all screwed up.

It's real simple. If you cna't afford to buy a agme don't fuckin' buy it. Nor steal it. Getting a game is NOT a RIGHT. It's a privlegde one gets when they BUY it. FFS

I like thieving makes me feel like multiclessed paladin/bard/sorcerer dualwielding halberds

Volourn said:

P.S. Also, gaming isn't 'dying'. Who came up with that bullshit myth?

Developers don't have a right to my money, either. Look volly, you're not going to win the piracy debate, and it's pointless to even try. There is no way for the industry to prevent it, and honestly, if developers released demos, there would be fewer instances of piracy from the "try before you buy" crowd.

Stalin

Scholar
i for one uninstalled dragon age once i hit the first village. not my cup of tea but wasn't about to pay to find that out

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"There is no way for the industry to prevent it, and honestly, if developers released demos, there would be fewer instances of piracy from the "try before you buy" crowd.

Not enough to make a difference. I know 'pirates'. The motivation for them is simple - they want free stuff. Period. This is fact, and your bullshititng doens't impress me. Just admit it - you pirtae cause you want stuff for free.

Youa r eright. BIo doesn't have a right to your money. But, they have a right to sell their products at a price of their choosing (or publisher/store choosing), and expect those who wnat the game to pay for it. If you aren't willing to pay for it, don't play it. Simple concpet that scumbag thieves don't understand.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Trithne said:
Pirates are not the problem. Games companies and their owning publishers are, by making formulaic games with no content and relying purely on marketing to get their sales. Instead of making good games, make crap and sell it to the LCD.

This.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Volourn said:

5 million?? God no. What game needs to sell that much? Even at 20 dollars 1 million usually nets a handsome profit.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Most_expe ... ideo_games

Its funny the only game on that list that I really loved was Shenmue and it was by far the least profitable. Too Human was terrible. I laughed when I read that it was third. Really it should be 2nd based on the numbers. I dont even remember seeing a Too Human commercial. At least I see DA commercials.

EA and Bioware have enough acumen to sell a 60 dollar game. The price is what it is because of supply and demand not production cost. They will profit regardless of piracy. A no-name publisher and a no-name developer would be better off dropping cost and adding plenty goodies. If more of them were to follow suit it would breathe life into the market. Even EA should offer stuff like the DA's pen and papper game, and Deep Spawn blood for free. It increses the products usefulness and recognition which can lead to new markets, like cartoons, clothes, toys, movies.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
I used to spend like 400$ a year or more on games.

Because they made games that I liked. Like party based isometric RPGs and turn based strategy.

Ever since the new shit took over, I don't like any of the games that are released except possibly some shit from eastern europe.

So now I pirate a ton of games, but I just play them for a few hours and delete.

If somehow pirating disappeared, I wouldn't exactly miss that three hours I spent on "Sacred" finding out that yes, I am still incredibly bored of diablo clones.

I'd probably spend a little more without piracy, but the only thing that could get me shelling out like I used to is if they fucking made games I liked.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Volourn said:
"If games companies still made demos you'd actually see less piracy. "

Bullshit. Thieves are theives and they always some lazy excuse on why they did. Being 'poor' is no excuse. These are games. You don't need them. If you cna't afford a game, then guess what? GTFO
Oh really, care to explain to me then why I've pirated a fair amount of PC games, but never done the same for a console game, and never will? Because it's harder to do on a console? Yes, it is, but if I really wanted to, I could do it for consoles. But there is no desire for that, because there is really no need, not nearly on the same level.

The lack of demos is one thing, but I think the real cause here is the lack of rental possibilities. Rentals for console games are the market's solution to the dillemma of "I want to try it out, but don't want to pay fifty dollars." Simply pay a small fee to try it out (or beat the game if it's short, which is often the case) and then turn it back in after a certain amount of time. A great compromise, and one that I make use of for the majority of console games that I play. But for PC games, there is no such option.

Basically, any game that I pirate on the PC is a game I would rent were it a console game, or if it was an option for PCs.

Yes, I know it's wrong. It's stealing, and there's no way to get around that. But considering the state that things currently are in, I simply don't care.

If rentals were a possibility for PC games, I would gladly shell out the $8 to try out a game that I'm not sure of. I doubt I'd pirate a single game.

circ

Arcane
Another lame anti-piracy/pro-piracy discussion. Ok let's look at a few dead or dying companies. Troika, Sir-Tech and Interplay. Did the people in the know in these companies ever blame piracy? No. I'm sure Herve has, but he's a clown and doesn't count.

Volourn said:
"There is no way for the industry to prevent it, and honestly, if developers released demos, there would be fewer instances of piracy from the "try before you buy" crowd.

Not enough to make a difference. I know 'pirates'. The motivation for them is simple - they want free stuff. Period. This is fact, and your bullshititng doens't impress me. Just admit it - you pirtae cause you want stuff for free.

Youa r eright. BIo doesn't have a right to your money. But, they have a right to sell their products at a price of their choosing (or publisher/store choosing), and expect those who wnat the game to pay for it. If you aren't willing to pay for it, don't play it. Simple concpet that scumbag thieves don't understand.

From Merriam Webster:

Theft

1 a : the act of stealing; specifically : the felonious taking and removing of personal property with intent to deprive the rightful owner of it b : an unlawful taking (as by embezzlement or burglary) of property
2 obsolete : something stolen

Where is the theft in downloading games online?

Really. If you want to pirate stuff, fine, but don't try to make excuses like "nothing is being removed from an inventory" or "it's shit anyway and I wouldn't buy it". Tht's beside the point, which is "you play if you pay".

Otherwise you're just a filthy thief. We romantic pirates sail the seven seas with pride.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I pirate as a 'fuck you' to the industry. It's called civil disobedience. The true fucking atrocity isn't me, it's you. You mindless fucks, throwing around money like it's the industry's birthday, sucking the milk in from their lactating titty of shit. And you're happy about it.

Because of this, they keep their asshole wide open, from which an endless stream of diarrhea pours onto the streets of the Earth.

We are some who fight it.

And then, you have the nerve to call us thieves? To claim we're doing something wrong?

You, the slaves to the tit-goddesses of Activision, EA, and the rest of the populace of the nine hells, you are the one responsible for the world of shit. Me? I'm just a guy with some fucking sense who holds to the belief that we could do a lot better than lactated feces - if we demanded it to be so.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Y'know, if you have a problem with the game industry, you could always....not play games. I mean, it's not like you're missing out on anything if the industry is as bad as you depict it.

Also, when you protest a company (or industry), it's not called civil disobedience. It's called boycott.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom