Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age - official Codex verdict

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
AlaCarcuss said:
Because, like it or not turn-based games are dead at least as far as the major devs go. Besides, RTS games seem to do ok with real-time squad based systems....

And that's some reason to like it? It's like saying that you can't complain about a 3D platformer having horrible controls and camera because that's what wer'e getting now that 2D platforming is dead. And I can't think of many RTS games that dont suck, because they are RTS games. And somehow their existence doesn't prevent the making of turn-based strategy games.

So let me get this straight, all RTS games suck? - ok :roll:

AlaCarcuss said:
The IE games having better combat is just plain wrong. Mostly due to the fact they had an internal phase-based system going on (so in fact were not actually RtWP), whereby you issue a command to a character and they just stand there waiting their turn. Also, the DnD ruleset sucks-ass for a CRPG.

Yeah, the maybe it's "phase-based" but it had options on how to approach a fight, the characters move faster and the controls respond much faster, also there's less time spent looking at boring animations so combat doesn't take forever.

I've played all the IE games and that's not my experience, controls may respond but your characters don't, and I rather like the animations in DA.

D&D is a great ruleset for turn-based gameplay, a good amount of tactical options and character developement strategy, something that their bland MMORPG systems don't quite provide.

The IE games are not turn-based and that's what we were talking about.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
My verdict is that of the lesser races of cRPGs below the Führer Sternenschweif, Reichsmarschall Fallout and Obersturmbandführer Arcanum ...... dragon age is one of the few you could work a bit with before rightfully sending it to the camps.

It doesnt excel in any area but isnt really CRAP in any area ( aside from marketing ... ).

the writing could be (alot) better (PS:T/ MOTB / the witcher ) but doesnt stand out as particullary bad vs the rest of the genre and is certainly better than lowpoints such as Fallout 3 / Oblivion / Drakensang / SoZ. overall meh though.

the combat could be better if you include games like JA2 into the comparision but for a cRPG its pretty gut with the typical flaws (too much trash combat, difficulty too dependant on class/party setup) - which means a lot given the cRPG genre is full of games with truly shit combat (recently: anything from OE, the witcher, fallout 3, DD2 ) and the rest being average at best.

replayability is pretty high thanks to origin stories, a medium dose of CnC and a remotely decent character customization/progression. only beat by MOTB and VTMB in this regard when it comes to newer games and everything else hardly warrants more than one replay at all.

Of course this shouldnt stop anyone from pointing out that is indeed a lesser race of cRPGs we re talking about - just like Kamerad BLOBERT and Skyway do. but among this lesser race you ve certainly worshipped worse making it apparent that the KODEX is falling for names like bioware and bethesda to channel our righteous hatred on - ignoring that there have been worse bastards undermining our purity lately.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Pretty good, ballanced observations ricolikesrice - nicely done.

Regarding this lesser race of RPG's you speak of, I think we're all just going to have to accept we are not going to see a return to the great old-school RPG's from the golden age. Not from the major developers anyway - it's just not economically viable (at leas in their view - and the're probably right).

Which is why we have to look at new RPG's like DA:O in the current context and in that regard it stacks up very well.

Only hope we have for the forseeable future are the indies.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
ricolikesrice said:
My verdict is that of the lesser races of cRPGs below the Führer Sternenschweif, Reichsmarschall Fallout and Obersturmbandführer Arcanum ...... dragon age is one of the few you could work a bit with before rightfully sending it to the camps.

It doesnt excel in any area but isnt really CRAP in any area ( aside from marketing ... ).

the writing could be (alot) better (PS:T/ MOTB / the witcher ) but doesnt stand out as particullary bad vs the rest of the genre and is certainly better than lowpoints such as Fallout 3 / Oblivion / Drakensang / SoZ. overall meh though.

So we should play this piece of shit just because its not as bad as the other bloom-infested next gen pieces of shit ? nice logic there.

ricolikesrice said:
the combat could be better if you include games like JA2 into the comparision but for a cRPG its pretty gut with the typical flaws (too much trash combat, difficulty too dependant on class/party setup) - which means a lot given the cRPG genre is full of games with truly shit combat (recently: anything from OE, the witcher, fallout 3, DD2 ) and the rest being average at best.

Real-time, auto-regen, level-scaling ... how the fuck can you call dragon age combat good ?

ricolikesrice said:
replayability is pretty high thanks to origin stories, a medium dose of CnC and a remotely decent character customization/progression. only beat by MOTB and VTMB in this regard when it comes to newer games and everything else hardly warrants more than one replay at all.

Lol, who cares about replayability when the game is soo fucking shit, you wont ever finish it once out of disgust.

ricolikesrice said:
Of course this shouldnt stop anyone from pointing out that is indeed a lesser race of cRPGs we re talking about - just like Kamerad BLOBERT and Skyway do. but among this lesser race you ve certainly worshipped worse making it apparent that the KODEX is falling for names like bioware and bethesda to channel our righteous hatred on - ignoring that there have been worse bastards undermining our purity lately.

Its because biowhore and bethesda have always released shit and will continue to do so, for all other developers there s at least some hope to get a decent game.

kris

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Emotional Vampire said:
Vault Dweller said:
Black said:
Hey, I don't bitch, I criticize!
Delusional, aren't we?

Don't worry, even epic-level weeaboo faggot such as you is good for what he is on Codex
What's with the weaboo reference? I don't recall ever praising the oriental export. Unless, of course, these days making sense is no longer a positive trait.

No use in trying to reason with a young teen that rage just for the sake of it.

There is a reason we used to see several developers in these forums before, while those are all absent now. Possibly apart from the one with tits, unless she also given up.

kris said:
Vault Dweller said:
Emotional Vampire said:
Vault Dweller said:
Black said:
Hey, I don't bitch, I criticize!
Delusional, aren't we?

Don't worry, even epic-level weeaboo faggot such as you is good for what he is on Codex
What's with the weaboo reference? I don't recall ever praising the oriental export. Unless, of course, these days making sense is no longer a positive trait.

No use in trying to reason with a young teen that rage just for the sake of it.

Circlejerk more. [Insert witty comment about his sig here]

Korgan

Arbiter
ITT:
this-is-why-we-cant-have-nice-things.jpg

Krash

Arcane
:shock:

Did I take a wrong turn somewhere and crash into the youtube comment section? The codex used to feature intelligent discussion, but this thread... Wow, it's a new low. Not a hint of argumentation from either side. Maybe it's time to reintroduce the ignore feature, or better actually start banning people who incessantly spam the same shit (skyway, black) without the slightest hint of intelligence and destroy potentially interresting discussions. And I'm not saying we should ban the retarded, rabid anti-fanboys only, a few of the fawning fanboys should very well join then in the shower/gas chamber.

I haven't bought DA and haven't decided if I will, but this shitty thread certainly won't be part of my decision process. The Iron Tower discussion will, however, because both those who like the game and those who don't actually use these things called arguments (maybe you've heard about them?) to forward their opinion. I don't want to know it's bad/good, I want to know WHY it's bad/good, preferably supported by more than Dis gaem is from biowhore lol. For fucks sake!

//end butthurt

Also, this thread should be retardoed. Seriously

baronjohn

Cipher
Krash, I'm afraid you are the retard here. There have been plenty of arguments presented as to why DA:O is banal shit, you've simply chosen to ignore them.

Krash

Arcane
baronjohn said:
Krash, I'm afraid you are the retard here. There have been plenty of arguments presented as to why DA:O is banal shit, you've simply chosen to ignore them.

Really?

EDIT: I mean in this particular thread

EDIT2: TBH, you have actually presented a semblance of arguments in other threads. My problem isn't with you, it's with the dumbfucks who can't stop shitting up threads. Maybe I wasn't clear on that.

EDIT3: Just noticed your "review". P shit banal boring actually, doesn't say dick about the game except that you hate it like it ran over your cat or something. Information value = minimal. Compare with http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... 134.0.html and feel shamed.

EDIT4: forgot to mention, I have a new found respect for ricolikesrice

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
baronjohn said:
Plenty of arguments? Why won't you post/link them? Let's have a good laugh.

baronjohn

Cipher
I'm at a loss as to what would convince you blind morons that DA:O is banal shit. Maybe if Ser Donald came to your house, recruited you into the Ghey Wardens, and then gutted you while stroking your hair and whispering "sorry" in your ear.

It's a fucking ultra-generic MMORPG masquerading as a single-player game with a system that's so far away from AD&D it's not even in the same galaxy cluster. The writing is horrifying bad. You want specific instances of banality and shit? How the fuck am I suppose to give them to you? THE WHOLE THING STINKS.

OK. Imagine your favourite game. It's fucking awesome, right? You probably can't enumerate all the things that make it awesome in gross detail. Now imagine the complete opposite. CONGRATULATIONS, YOU'VE IMAGINED DRAGON AGE!

^Awesome. I thought about quoting the vague parts but it's just six lines of text without any info at all.

Edit: fuck, guess i'll do it

banal shit.

Ghey

fucking ultra-generic

horrifying bad.

banality and shit?

WHOLE THING STINKS.

OK. Imagine your favourite game. It's fucking awesome, right? You probably can't enumerate all the things that make it awesome in gross detail. Now imagine the complete opposite. CONGRATULATIONS, YOU'VE IMAGINED DRAGON AGE!

o gee, it's the whole tex. Whudathunk.

Seriously, if you can't communicate properly, don't even try.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
EDIT: It's ironic that my first bit while calling someone else out for mistyping was actually my own inability to read temporarily manifesting itself. :oops: Deleted that bit.

baronjohn said:
It's a fucking ultra-generic MMORPG masquerading as a single-player game with a system that's so far away from AD&D it's not even in the same galaxy cluster.

You then proceed to cry yourself to sleep about how the game isn't a TSR/Wizards of the Coast licensed product and, apparently, not Star Wars or Mass Effect related either.

The writing is horrifying bad.

Completely unlike almost every other game in the history of the medium, right? But okay.

You want specific instances of banality and shit? How the fuck am I suppose to give them to you? THE WHOLE THING STINKS.

... because it's not D&D or Star Wars. It's okay. Mommy will be in to check on you shortly and we'll let you watch your favourite movies tomorrow.

This actually manages to be more retarded than anything else in your little diatribe. You might've gained some ground had you inferred that when you do that, you end up with Dragon Age... but even so, I still suspect that wouldn't be true. It sounds like you bought into hype that DA would be the best thing evar!(tm), cure cancer, find your real parents and help you come out to your friends and acquaintances, but all it really did was molest you in a dingy van down by the river. Dry your tears and try giving reasons that might be worth reading and actually convey information or alternatively you could just, y'know, leave your computer and go outside or something. YMMV.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom