Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age - official Codex verdict

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Kogorn said:
IMO the final verdict of any game from the codex perspective is given by andyman.

Drunk, that is.
It's the best game ever.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
FeelTheRads said:
I rarely try making jokes. And a good thing, maybe I'd produce a catastrophe of a magnitude close to yours.

Well, at least now you know it was a joke. Progress!

Uncle CK will teach you all about reading. You were supposed to learn that by grade school, though

LOLOLOL.

I knew it was a joke. I was criticizing the lameness of the joke if you didn't figure that out by now.
Whether you have any clue about the Larry games is something I'm interested too, though.

And as someone who believes baronjohn was serious you should lay down the "haha u cant read" bullshit.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Black said:
Xor said:
Black said:
Hey, I don't bitch, I criticize!

If you define criticize as "call everything shit" I guess you're right.
So DA and FO3 are now everything.
What a small world it is.

You have to like at least something that's recently released. Otherwise you're not cool and a hater.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Emotional Vampire said:
Vault Dweller said:
Black said:
Hey, I don't bitch, I criticize!
Delusional, aren't we?

Don't worry, even epic-level weeaboo faggot such as you is good for what he is on Codex
What's with the weaboo reference? I don't recall ever praising the oriental export. Unless, of course, these days making sense is no longer a positive trait.

FeelTheRads said:
LOLOLOL.

I knew it was a joke. I was criticizing the lameness of the joke if you didn't figure that out by now.
Whether you have any clue about the Larry games is something I'm interested too, though.

And as someone who believes baronjohn was serious you should lay down the "haha u cant read" bullshit.

Ah, "I trol u, y u take us seriously, lololo". Took like 3 posts until it came to this.

Ok, whatever. You totally ripped me a new one.

Fuck this is embarrassing. You write, think, feel like a kid. The thought that you might be older than 15 scares me.

AlaCarcuss said:
Because, like it or not turn-based games are dead at least as far as the major devs go. Besides, RTS games seem to do ok with real-time squad based systems....

And that's some reason to like it? It's like saying that you can't complain about a 3D platformer having horrible controls and camera because that's what wer'e getting now that 2D platforming is dead. And I can't think of many RTS games that dont suck, because they are RTS games. And somehow their existence doesn't prevent the making of turn-based strategy games.

AlaCarcuss said:
The IE games having better combat is just plain wrong. Mostly due to the fact they had an internal phase-based system going on (so in fact were not actually RtWP), whereby you issue a command to a character and they just stand there waiting their turn. Also, the DnD ruleset sucks-ass for a CRPG.

Yeah, the maybe it's "phase-based" but it had options on how to approach a fight, the characters move faster and the controls respond much faster, also there's less time spent looking at boring animations so combat doesn't take forever. D&D is a great ruleset for turn-based gameplay, a good amount of tactical options and character developement strategy, something that their bland MMORPG systems don't quite provide.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
FeelTheRads said:
LOLOLOL.

Ah, "I trol u, y u take us seriously, lololo". Took like 3 posts until it came to this.

Ok, whatever. You totally ripped me a new one.

Fuck this is embarrassing. You write, think, feel like a kid. The thought that you might be older than 15 scares me.

Huh? What? You don't make any sense.
Where have I said that I trolled you?
My reply to your imbecilic joke was "Hawhaw. No." If you've seen more into it than simply deriding, too bad.

Reading comprehension failure? No, it couldn't be. Btw, you still need to check baronjohn's post again.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
AlaCarcuss said:
Because, like it or not turn-based games are dead at least as far as the major devs go. Besides, RTS games seem to do ok with real-time squad based systems....

And that's some reason to like it? It's like saying that you can't complain about a 3D platformer having horrible controls and camera because that's what wer'e getting now that 2D platforming is dead. And I can't think of many RTS games that dont suck, because they are RTS games. And somehow their existence doesn't prevent the making of turn-based strategy games.

AlaCarcuss said:
The IE games having better combat is just plain wrong. Mostly due to the fact they had an internal phase-based system going on (so in fact were not actually RtWP), whereby you issue a command to a character and they just stand there waiting their turn. Also, the DnD ruleset sucks-ass for a CRPG.

Yeah, the maybe it's "phase-based" but it had options on how to approach a fight, the characters move faster and the controls respond much faster, also there's less time spent looking at boring animations so combat doesn't take forever. D&D is a great ruleset for turn-based gameplay, a good amount of tactical options and character developement strategy, something that their bland MMORPG systems don't quite provide.

This. It's not like every time you had to wait 5-seconds before your characters acted in IE-games anyway. Shitting on them and praising DA at the same time because it has realrealtime (or maybe realrealrealtime, coming from realnetwork realsoon really!) is somewhat mystifying. They already had different weapon speeds and casting speeds - if you wanted to act first in, you used a quick weapon or cast magic missiles.

Also, saying DnD sucks for CRPG is so much fail its not even funny. Especially 3.5 is best used on a cRPG, avoiding the number of rolling p&p-game requires.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
COMBAT IS SHIT GRAPHICS ARE SHIT STORY IS BANAL BORING SHIT GRITTY NEXT GEN CONSOLETARD BUT NOT IN A COOL PRINS OF PERSIA WAY IN CONCLUSION IT IS OBVIOUS THE GAME IS A PEACE OF SHIT YOU FUCKERS CANT HANDLE FACTS AND LOGIC

This.

Granted I have only just made it to the camp after the intro, but I am bored as hell already. The story is so cliched, the characters so one dimensional. Who actually finds this enjoyable? Dragon Age like Mass Effect, is not a game. It's a forced story simulator with a tacked on combat system. The game is completely unoriginal. Ooo, so the game has a codex with lots of backstory. It doesn't matter when the actual story of the game is terribly told.

Arcanoix

Scholar
Console-tards at work were crying to me about how "long" the game is, and I still don't understand why they're complaining - I'm 40 hours into the game and I have one more faction to bring to my side. Rather or not any choices have any relative consequences, I've yet to find out.

I'm under the impression that the games going to hit a peaking point and then just go rock bottom flat-out on it's face, slamming me with the sad reality that out of the 2-3 dozen choices I've made - I'll still be stuck with only two or three generic outcomes of Good, Evil, and Neutral, which is exactly why I shelved the Witcher after only two playthroughs....

There are pros and cons though - but enough - I haven't finished the game once yet and need to see what happens after my second play through. Take care.

Arcanoix

Scholar
flabbyjack said:
Holy shit I ain't reading 6 pages of these idiots talk about DA.

I bought DA. It left a bad taste in my mouth. Included with the game are two pieces of 'free DLC', one-time install codes that expire in April 2010.
People freaked out about how Spore could only be installed a few times. But I bought this shit that was available at release(Shouldn't be 'DLC' IMO), and it can only be installed ONCE. If I upgrade to a new computer or uninstall, I can't get my DLC again. Then again, they put this disclaimer right on the box.
So if I ever go back and play DA a couple years from now, I gotta go buy DLC or I'll be playing a gimped version of the game. Great.
This would be acceptable for horse armor or some stupid shit. But this is 'a recruitable party member who is fully integrated into the main Dragon Age campaign'. Imagine playing BG without Minsc.
Fuck you EA, fuck you...

You're a retard. I've had to reinstall the entire game from scratch because the tool set fucked everything up, and guess what? I was still able to download everything. Having made an image of the CD, I play without the disc so that others can play in the house, and guess what? As long as I'm not logged in, they can download everything just fine. You just suck at being on the internet and want to cry that EA has tarnished BioWare, when in-reality EA had absolutely nothing to do with DA:O outside of marketing.

1eyedking

Erudite
Dragon Age?

At first I was like
:rage:

But then I was like
:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom