Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age - official Codex verdict

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
HanoverF said:
AlaCarcuss said:
HanoverF said:
It's like NWN 1.5 -the D&D license. Bits are good (companion interactions, some quests) other things are pure shit (combat, lame uninspired loot, level scaling, loot)

Why do people keep saying the combat is shit? I think it's the best implementation of a real-time combat system ever and far superior to anything Bioware's done in the past. Of course, we would all prefer turn-based, but that's not gonna happen from a major developer in the forseeable future.

As for the level scaleing, this need to be put into context. The scaleing is limited to a fairly narrow range for each area you visit. As soon as you visit that area then the levels of all enemies is locked - so if you leave and come back much later they will still be the same level as when you first entered. So you can come back after leveling up and slaughter everything if you wish.

Combat seems to be two modes, well three, one quick no real time to do much of anything before it's over, one long sustained fights against powerful elite baddies, and one repeating waves of either option one and or two. Even with all the tactic routines you can use, the ai is still pretty awful. My archer would always switch to daggers, my backstabber would always be in front, mage would never back out of combat. Pause and try to fix these things and three more things would go wrong. Case in point one fight on the way to the anvil the three computer controlled companions just stood around that giant head thing, the only way to damage it was to kill the spirits and activate the anvils but they just stood there uselessly, no amount of tactic monkeying helped. Apart from those logistical problems it's just dull and repetitive , and there's so damn much of it. Throw in more if you don't have an optimal group, or tank blows a taunt.

Throw in broken or dull and uninspired skills, broken and or dull and uninspired weapons and combat isn't fun or engaging or enjoyable.

Well I guess my experience is different because I like to micro-manage. Sometimes, especially for the tougher fights, I'll turn the tactics system off completely and control the actions of every individual party member. Almost becomes turn-based that way.

I wouldn't play the whole game that way of course, would take too long and become very tedious, but for specific fights it's pretty cool. Like I asked skyway, if you think there's a better real-time, squad-based system, name it....

AlaCarcuss said:
Almost becomes turn-based that way.

Not even close, still a pain to control.

AlaCarcuss said:
I wouldn't play the whole game that way of course, would take too long and become very tedious, but for specific fights it's pretty cool. Like I asked skyway, if you think there's a better real-time, squad-based system, name it....

Why would we want realtime squad-based systems, that's a horrible concept. But all IE games were much better, having good control (mostly, the pathfinding still pisses me off) and ability to maneuver around.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
[quote="Volourn
Wrong. They have a 3rd fanbase. They have the people who claim to hate them, and bahs them and their game snon stop but buy and play their games MULTIPLE TIMES, anyways, all the while spamming how horirble they are.

HAHAHAHA![/quote

BRO YOU ARE A LAIR THOSE GAMES ARE BANAL SHIT BORING YOU JUST NEED TO PLAY THEM A WHOLE BUNCH SO YOU CAN TELL ALL THE BRIANLESS SHEEPLE HOW MUCH THE GAMES SUCK LOLOLLOL ENJOY YOUR BIOWHORE CONSOLETARD TRASH!!!11

roll-a-die

Magister
Why doesn't blobert have a dumbfuck tag? I mean I get that he's a parody/satire of the typical troll codexian(of the skyway genus). But still after the first two posts or so they get to be annoying. And then you eventually start ignoring their contents and just commenting on how stupid they have become.

TO PUT THIS IN A WAY YOU COULD UNDERSTAND BLOBBY BRO YOUR SHIT POSTS HAVE BECOME BANANAL BORING WHORISH SHIT YOU SOUND WORSE THAN CONSOLETARD TRASH ON XBAWCKS LIVE YOU NERDY SHOUTING CUNT!!!11 CUNTING SHIT YOU SOUND WORSE THAN JEFF FOXWORTHY CROSSED WITH A HOMOSEXUAL DANE COOK IN PICARDS MANJINA!!!11 YOU ARENT FUNNY YOU DUMBFUCK!!111

Kogorn

Novice
IMO the final verdict of any game from the codex perspective is given by andyman.

Drunk, that is.

Balor

Arcane
That's just it. I have an official Codex verdict: Codex is officially dead, except for an occasional bowel movement and maggots twisting in it's bloated corpse.

It had already turned into ESF - same level of argumentation and intelligence.

Just replace 'Best GAEM EVAR!!11' with 'Banal, shit boring!!11'.

Where are interesting, argumentative discussions, like this one:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=39409

We used to have them. Now I have to resort to external links for examples.

It has nothing to do with RPGs now, only trolls trolling trolls, and 'RPG discussion' is now rudiment compared with 'General Discussion' ruled by Andhaira, who might as well never played a RPG in his unwashed (except brains, of course) life.

DA might not be on level of maturity with PS:T, but I daresay that it is BETTER then BG2 (mostly due to lack of AD&D, which I vehemently dislike), and it is considered a classic.

Anyway, I'm done with Codex. I'm moving on to Iron tower to have any RPG discussions - because, in retrospect, I've never had (or seen) a relevant RPG discussion here for a LONG time. My life is too precious to waste it on cheap lulz, thank you.

Enjoy being banal, shit, boring.

baronjohn

Cipher
Balor said:
DA might not be on level of maturity with PS:T, but I daresay that it is BETTER then BG2
None of the IE games were mature, you fucking moron. The word mature wasn't considered a valid adjective to describe a video game, unless the said video game was about virtual dicks going into virtual vaginas.

Balor said:
(mostly due to lack of AD&D, which I vehemently dislike)
Hope you enjoy your shitty DA system with pewpewpew spells, autoregen and level scaling.

RPGCODEX the last place where we call banal shit what it really is.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
YEAH BRO WE TELL THE SHEEPLE WHAT GAMES ARE TOTALL SHIT

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
OH YEAH BRO ABOVE WITH YOUR LONG ASS FAGGOT SMART TALK HERE IS A GOOD DEBATE DRAGEON AGE IS FOR CONSOLETARD HOW ABOUT YOU GO BACK TO GAMEFAGS

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Balor, what's so special about that? It's the normal PS:T wank that has been done here dozens and dozens of time. Someone brings out that MCA hasn't done anything comparable after, then someone else brings MotB in the fray and it all just goes downhill there because combat sucks and the game is for philosophymajors and -raptors except it's deep writing which easily surpasses anything else the RPG-genre has spewed out and it turns all the cliches upside down on their heads but pathfinding is horrible and then some troll comes out explaining how the class system was shit and broken and then finally Qwinn would bash them down for good, counting every fucking quest XP point until the point the troll claimed he was stuck in because of lack of XP and proved the guy should be lvl bazillion above what he claimed he was without even taking advantage of combat XP but that would only resurrect the old combat is shit crowd and the merry-goes-around-keeps-going-around and play Benny Hill tune and wheeee!

There, saved the trouble of doing that thread during this fall. Let's concentrate on DA:O.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
AlaCarcuss said:

Why would we want realtime squad-based systems, that's a horrible concept. But all IE games were much better, having good control (mostly, the pathfinding still pisses me off) and ability to maneuver around.

Because, like it or not turn-based games are dead at least as far as the major devs go. Besides, RTS games seem to do ok with real-time squad based systems....

The IE games having better combat is just plain wrong. Mostly due to the fact they had an internal phase-based system going on (so in fact were not actually RtWP), whereby you issue a command to a character and they just stand there waiting their turn. Also, the DnD ruleset sucks-ass for a CRPG.

In DA:O, it is actually real-time (or true RtWP), you issue a command and your characters act on it immediately. This makes it much more free flowing and dynamic in my book.

Balor is right. the guys that want to be like the old crowd don't realize they didn't just shit on everything like it's cool or something. I have this feeling "ripping a new one" means stating the shit in a way that everyone shuts up because it's true. Nowadays we get "it was shit, shit shit, trust me, I won't point any specifics because then you could be able to answer something and then I'd have to dissappear from the thread / call you names until you give up and I win. LOL, TOLD".

I mean, what the fuck

Hope you enjoy your shitty DA system with pewpewpew spells, autoregen and level scaling.

RPGCODEX the last place where we call banal shit what it really is.

This could pass for a fucking youtube comment

None of the IE games were mature, you fucking moron. The word mature wasn't considered a valid adjective to describe a video game, unless the said video game was about virtual dicks going into virtual vaginas.

Maturity = sex? Yes, that childish conception sums up the codex nicely. A bunch of kids spouting shit and failing at being witty. Even Gamefaqs is better. If I wasn't lazy I'd check the ESF forums too. At least blind praise doesn't derail every fucking thread, so I can ignore it.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
HEY LOOK.

THERE ARE ABOUT FOUR OR FIVE PEOPLE WHO KEEP SHITTING AT EVERYTHING.

OBVIOUSLY, THE WHOLE CODEX DOES THAT.

HOLYSHIT DECLINE, I'M LEAVING THIS SHITHOLE BYE :BLOBERT: :DRAMA:

This reminds me of the Bioware forum's discussion about how every thread on the codex seems to be about buttsecks.

^If it's spammed in every thread ad nauseam, derailing eveything, then yes, it becomes a problem. Even one person could shit up the entire forum.

I even tried to check Gamefaqs' Risen PC board, to ask something. One guy and his alts turned it into a Codex board, every thread turned into attention whoring. The funny thing is that some people mock the other forums when here when can get like 3 worthwhile posts about a game until someone rushes in and adds some youtube to the mix.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
As said before most things become simply annoying when being repeated 1000 times.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Balor said:
I'm moving on to Iron tower to have any RPG discussions - because, in retrospect, I've never had (or seen) a relevant RPG discussion here for a LONG time.

Too late. 1eyedking is already there and calling games "banal shit boring".

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Clockwork Knight said:
^If it's spammed in every thread ad nauseam, derailing eveything, then yes, it becomes a problem. Even one person could shit up the entire forum.

It is as much as annoying as some other people who I won't name who counterspam these threads ad nauseam with their 'omg decline!!!1'

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Vibalist said:
Black said:
Vibalist said:
let's hope morons like Black, Racofer and Skyway pack up and leave soon.
What's the matter honey? My tastes not SHIT enough for you?
Anyway, good game. Pretty standard Bioware fare
good game
standard Bioware fare
Mutually exclusive, sorry.

Hi there. Do you ever get tired of not having a life?

Newsflash: Liking every piece of shit equals having a life.

Vibalist, stop being a faggot.

Or a 15 year old.

Darth Roxor said:
Clockwork Knight said:

It is as much as annoying as some other people who I won't name who counterspam these threads ad nauseam with their 'omg decline!!!1'

I cant say I have a witty answer ready, so :smug:

Newsflash: Liking every piece of shit equals having a life.

Newsflash: Feeltherads has shit reading comprehension

except that's not news at all, shit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom