Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming Fall 2024

SmoothPimp

Augur
DAO is a generic dark epic fantasy, most inspirations come from LotR, The Witcher books (pariah-like elves, warden initiation ritual) and ASoIAF (political tensions). At least it's comprehensive, no fucking neon pub signs just because "it's fantasy with dragons and magic, dude" so why don't we just throw in anything we want or PR team wants from us, because Cyberpunk sales are huge.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

But """"""good"""""" woke games are the exception, not the rule.
Until recently I thought good woke entertainment doesn't exist but people tell me BG3 is good and Furiosa is also good and even Barbie was kindda fun.

Never saw or played those but they're trusted sources so I can accept that. Nevertheless those examples are exceedingly rare, 99% of woke entertainment is a hilariously incompetent garbage.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Generic or not, the writing and reactivity at least on Origins is great. I am re playing Origins and am liking a lot. Your gender, class, race, background and choices matter.

Learn the difference between subjective opinion and Objective fact.

Let's ask 100 gamers around the world which character creation they prefer. Unless you do that poll in the most baizuo place of Commiefornia, I am sure that most people would agree with me.

arguments are nonsense

Prove me wrong. Mention one good setting made by baizuos. One interesting memorable character made by them.

100 gamers around the world which character creation they prefer

Prove me wrong

In research methodology, you don't and will never find an "objective truth".

100 gamers. What kind "gamers"? Gamers in RPG Chudex? Gamers in etcetra forum? Gamers in geddit? Gamers in Archlinux community? What age range? What education range? What prior experience needed to qualify to answer?

It's elementary bachelor degree shit and still - it will not provide you with an Universal truth - hence it's idiotic to claim whether one opinion is correct or not. It's a damn opinion.

The weird thing is that you trying to convince yourself and others like you to agree on something you already believed in. It's an exercise of futility.

And you're asking me to prove you are wrong? it waste my time.

If you keen to believe one opinion to be true, then believe it, and more often than not, somebody else in this here shithole will agree with you (affirmation/confirmation bias) - but it will never be an objective truth nor universally accepted opinion.

jackofshadows

Magister
Critical Drinker entertains me instead of preaching at me like modern Hollywood does. He seems sincere in hating the Message.
Except that didn't stop him from uplifting the Fallout shitshow which is full of it. He just plays around it like any other blogger, maybe he was bought maybe he just made a poor judgement, doesn't matter. Recently he also became a "gamer bro", the another defender lmao. That being said, if a simple watch him trashing some new piece of media results in entertainment, than yeah, he's doing his job right. Just don't think more of him.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
What kind "gamers"? Gamers in RPG Chudex? Gamers in etcetra forum? Gamers in geddit? Gamers in Archlinux community? What age range? What education range? What prior experience needed to qualify to answer?

I explained bad my point. My point is that most of the world don't like this shit. Is a tiny minority in "anglosphere" trying to "force behaviors"(Larry Fink words) worldwide. Egypt hated what they did to Cleopatra and sued Netflix. Every single aaa game in almost a decade except Baizuo gate 3 was shit. Only a tiny minority of the world agree with it.

Despite censorship, people are trying to mod out the Frankfurt neo Marxism insanity away from bg3. Almost no one wastes their times putting this nonsense in bg2 but people put time in removing it from 3.

If larian allowed us to chose, bg3 with Adorno social engineering and without, I am sure that 95%+ of the world would chose without.

it waste my time.

You are already wasting your time answering to me. Come on, mention one, just one good setting made by Baizuos. Or one, just one good char made by them.

Froila

Educated
Plagiarism in fantasy is inevitable because all the basic tropes were already established centuries ago
They were established mostly by Tolkien and his epigones in last ~50 years, plus reused ad nauseam Arthurian stuff and French/German fairy tales. Modern fantasy likes to ignore anything beyond this.

9ted6

Educated
I agree that plagiarism is the least of DAO problems, but using ideas it “stole” from other fantasy books/series better? Not really.
1.Not all nobles in ASOIAF(GoT) are evil, even Lannisters who presented as such in earlier books are shown to have “feelings and emotions”(especially Jaime in A Feast for Crows).
2.Witcher’s portrayal of oppressed race is also better/on par(if we count subsequent DA games) with Origins. I guess being a pole and having a firsthand experience with jewish ghettos and pogroms helps.
3.That’s probably true
Also AFAIK DAO stole it whole cosmology/religion from Wheel of Time, didn’t read it so idk if it’s better or not, but seeing it all being based on Christianity, I’d say Bible lore is cooler.
PS. Dwarfs are great, sadly sequels chased le old elven gods narrative
1. The only nobles who aren't evil in GoT are portrayed as helpless idiots. In DAO good nobles like your dad in the human origin are portrayed as both wellmeaning and competent.
2. Witcher is preachy about it. DAO shows elves being oppressed but it also shows elves doing evil shit like Zevran and Zathrian. It doesn't become a onesided Humans Bad Elves Good virtue signal until the sequels but Witcher is always onesided to the point Geralt the monster hunter constantly goes off about how monsters aren't bad and humans are the real monsters.
I don't think DAO was great but I think the plagiarism accusations it gets aren't good criticism.

Plagiarism in fantasy is inevitable because all the basic tropes were already established centuries ago and every since author since early modern times has aped what someone else already made. The difference between inspiration and plagiarism is putting your own spin on it.

Dragon Age rips ideas from Game of Thrones, Twitcher and Warhammer but it uses said ideas better than any of those three things. It manages political intrigue without every noble being cartoonishly evil like GoT, it's unfortunately liberal but never preachy about it like Twitcher and it's dark but not retardark like Warhammer.
Yeah, nope.

At that point in time, there was only Twitcher 1 out, and it, being the best in the series, was far from preachy and liberal. Must I remind you that it was the collect-sex-cards-for-banging-chicks game?

Warhammer Fantasy is not retardark. Mayhap some wargame material suggests that, but definitely not the Role Play sourcebooks and campaigns. Neither is 40K for that matter, but this is not the right discussion for that. DAOs problem is, it lifted specific relationship between emotions, the otherworldly realm of swirling possibilities, daemons, magic and mages almost word for word from Warhammer. This is something more than using the same basic trope.

You might have a point with GoT. Never cared much about it, so can't compare and contrast the two satisfactorily. I'll tell you this tho: individually, Tywin Lannister >>> Loghain.
Twitcher 1 deviated quite alot from the source material. I agree that it was similar to DAO in tone but the books themselves as well as the sequels take a hardline leftoid worldview and push it on you. Geralt in 3 is a walking soapbox for the writers. DA's sequels are even worse than Twitcher's books or games though so I'll give you that.

Warhammer Fantasy's pretty retardark though. It's not on the same level as 40k but it's close. The RPG books are what codified all the Warhammer worlds being a doomed struggle for chaos's entertainment and characters casually doing horribly evil and extremely stupid things for no real reason or gain. That doesn't happen in DAO.

Howe and Loghain seem that way at first but if you look into things they've both got reasonable motivations for being dickheads and sincerely plan on getting something good out of it for themselves and Ferelden. Warhammer villain motives are I Want To Kill People Because I'm Bad. You could say the same for the Archdemon but that's the demonic dragon and just one character. Every Warhammer villain is like that.

I don't know much about GoT's details but I know just about every villain is inbred and sex crazed, usually incestuously sex crazed, so I doubt anyone's better than Loghain, who if you talk to and read lore notes about realize has completely reasonable grievances but seriously underestimates the darkspawn. Crazy evil villains like GoT's and Warhammer's exist and aren't bad in and of themselves, but when every single antagonist is exactly the same it gets old.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
DAO is a generic dark epic fantasy, most inspirations come from LotR, The Witcher books (pariah-like elves, warden initiation ritual) and ASoIAF (political tensions).
Oh, your game has "political tensions"? You are an ASoIaF copy. Its over for you, you are derivative work.
Origins wasn't typical, it had a bunch of things to separate it from the generic medieval fantasy - the mages/templars relation, the demons/veil relation to magic, the "paladins" being a NGO and more gray, the initiation ritual scene, the dwarves relation to magic, each other, and golems, stuff like that. It didn't feel generic the way that Oblivion did on release, for example.

At least it's comprehensive, no fucking neon pub signs just because "it's fantasy with dragons and magic, dude" so why don't we just throw in anything we want or PR team wants from us, because Cyberpunk sales are huge.
Purple doesn't mean cyberpunk. I don't like the art direction for DA3/4, and I am disapointed its not going back to attempting realism and gore, but this angle of attack is very strange.
If anything, purple ended up in the cyberpunk neon aesthetic because it was used IRL to make things seem more eerie, warlocky, fantasy-like. Its an unnatural color, that you add to be more outworldly and strange. Its a fantasy thing that made its way to sci-fi, not the other way around.

Vatnik Wumao
Its a fantasy thing
Knowing the devs, it's probably something else entirely... :M

And re: cyberpunk, it definitely is a cyberpunk thing as well. Meant to evoke neon lights and what not, with it being an 'unnatural color' likewise being there to represent the cyber part of cyberpunk (a.i. futurism, dehumanization of the 'natural' individual through technology etc etc).

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
2. Witcher is preachy about it. DAO shows elves being oppressed but it also shows elves doing evil shit like Zevran and Zathrian. It doesn't become a onesided Humans Bad Elves Good virtue signal until the sequels but Witcher is always onesided to the point Geralt the monster hunter constantly goes off about how monsters aren't bad and humans are the real monsters

One word. Scoia'tael

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
DAO is a generic dark epic fantasy, most inspirations come from LotR, The Witcher books (pariah-like elves, warden initiation ritual) and ASoIAF (political tensions).
Oh, your game has "political tensions"? You are an ASoIaF copy. Its over for you, you are derivative work.
Origins wasn't typical, it had a bunch of things to separate it from the generic medieval fantasy - the mages/templars relation, the demons/veil relation to magic, the "paladins" being a NGO and more gray, the initiation ritual scene, the dwarves relation to magic, each other, and golems, stuff like that. It didn't feel generic the way that Oblivion did on release, for example.

I agree. The nice thing about DAO lore was that it treated the idea "what if magic were real?" semi-seriously (I mean as opposed to something like the TES lore, where everyone and their mother can do minor magic but it seems to have zero impact on the world) - so it's a rare-ish ability some people have , it's a game changer, it has to be safeguarded otherwise magic users go crazy, etc., etc.

The DAO lore in terms of the way magic and demons and all that are handled is pretty close to "real" occultism - the Fade is pretty much occultism's "Astral Plane" and the demons being treated as tricksy entities is very "real magic" too. I always thought that was a cool aspect of the lore.

Semiurge

Cipher
Its a fantasy thing

And re: cyberpunk, it definitely is a cyberpunk thing as well. Meant to evoke neon lights and what not, with it being an 'unnatural color' likewise being there to represent the cyber part of cyberpunk (a.i. futurism, dehumanization of the 'natural' individual through technology etc etc).

KgYrgvX.jpeg

Camel

Scholar
My guy, I'd be honest with you.

Learn the difference between subjective opinion and Objective fact.

The rest of your arguments are nonsense so I won't be bothered to read it.

If you come up with something better, I'd be open for further discussion.
People here more or less discussed the Veilguard, Dragon Age and BioWare in general. You came and immediately derailed the thread with chuds, chuds, chuds. Just like you lot do on 4chan by shitposting and chudjacks.

Brancaleone

Prophet
Its a fantasy thing

KgYrgvX.jpeg
... only if you add greenish.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
2. Witcher is preachy about it. DAO shows elves being oppressed but it also shows elves doing evil shit like Zevran and Zathrian. It doesn't become a onesided Humans Bad Elves Good virtue signal until the sequels but Witcher is always onesided to the point Geralt the monster hunter constantly goes off about how monsters aren't bad and humans are the real monsters

One word. Scoia'tael

Super cool freedom fighter commandos, what about them?

Scoiatael-ambush.jpg

Last edited:

mastroego

Arcane
So I finally read through the transcribed discord Q&A and apparently they're shying away from using "race" as a term now? Has that always been a thing or is it just a modernism?

Q: What do you mean by lineage?

John Epler: Lineage is the term we use for Elf/Human/Dwarf/Qunari.
Clever.
So a few months down the road from now - the term "race" having been banned for good - when anyone will dare mentioning someone else's lineage, he will be accused of lineagism.
Racism truly and well defeated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom