Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

ADL

Prophet
I had zero faith in Bioware operating another live service game after abandoning Anthem 2.0. Anthem was salvageable contrary to what everyone says about it and I would have been very interested in Anthem Next if they fixed the itemization and added more content. That being said, they still should have stuck with the original MP-focused Dragon Age 4 instead of retrofitting this into a SP title.

You can't just completely change direction years into production. This is going to be such a Frankenstein's monster of a game.

Rhobar121

Scholar
They started reworking the game at the beginning of 2021 (maybe earlier). This means that if the game comes out in 2024, they will have a full 3 years to rework the game.
It is unlikely that they had to do everything from scratch, so a lot of work could probably be used.
Fortunately, this is not like ME:A, where they supposedly reworked the entire game within 1.5 years.

The fact that EA decided to change the game into SP probably saved the series.
It's weird that EA decided to do this. In 2024, it will be over 6 years of game development, which I bet is not cheap.

Last edited:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
My only takeaway from the leak is that the Dragon Age art style (which was plenty bad when DA:O came out) has aged awfully in 2023.

Yes yes, missing textures and what not. But damn, I've seen better looking mobile games at this point.
What do you mean, the "Dragon Age art style"? Origins and Inquisition look nothing alike. This series has no artistic identity (or any identity) beyond the individual games.

I disagree. One of the few things that the franchise seems to have maintained is its disgusting art direction, which governs everything from the design of weapons and armor, faces, architecture, etc.

The actual 2d art in the games is respectable, but the gameplay graphics themselves are atrocious. They are meant to be seen from far away, so everything is designed to be big and recognizable.

Sword blades look like clubs, armor has grotesquely outsized pieces. Stuff looks like its sourced from a MMO.

Also, the devs apparently can't design an attractive face if their careers depended on it.

I'm not an art guy, but I'm sure someone with the proper background could break it down more.

TL;DR: Basically whatever this style is. Also a beardless dwarf as a legacy character. Goddammit.

Rogue-gallery-1.jpg
I haven't played any DA games in years, but I remember there being a pretty dramatic shift in art style from DA:O to DA 2. Maybe everything after that is more in line? Or maybe I'm misremembering? I don't know. It's all crap, regardless. Just different flavors.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I haven't played any DA games in years, but I remember there being a pretty dramatic shift in art style from DA:O to DA 2. Maybe everything after that is more in line? Or maybe I'm misremembering? I don't know. It's all crap, regardless. Just different flavors.

I remember people being mad(?) at the art shift, but I think in hindsight it really wasn't that big of a move besides the bullshit Qunari.

Out of curiosity I looked at some footage of the two games and it seems just like different flavors of the same.

DA:O on left, 2 on the right. God, why is the templar armor so ugly? Looks like someone doing bad 40k cosplay.

675676576.jpg

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

I remember people being mad(?) at the art shift, but I think in hindsight it really wasn't that big of a move besides the bullshit Qunari.

Out of curiosity I looked at some footage of the two games and it seems just like different flavors of the same.

DA:O on left, 2 on the right. God, why is the templar armor so ugly? Looks like someone doing bad 40k cosplay.

View attachment 33184
I remember it being more stylized (less dark fantasy, more spikes and random shit) and with a bit of a Brom-esque bent (but not actually good). https://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/07/23/dragon-age-ii-a-look-at-the-art.aspx

But yeah, maybe it was less dramatic in game than I remember.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Not surprised to hear they're doubling down on the consolization and action gameplay, but it's still disappointing to hear.

At least Bioware isn't pretending to be a CRPG studio anymore. They have struggled to keep up these pretexts for too long. It's good that they come clean with Dreadwolf and make what they always wanted to make: A story-fag action game. Hamburger Hepler wasn't an isolated case, after all.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
That's the sort of thing I picture when I read someone say Dork Souls

soulburner

Cipher
DAI with "normal" action combat instead of this RTWP-but-for-gamepads abomination would be a much better game, so I'm kind of... maybe 'excited' is the wrong word here... Mildly interested in this sequel.

Camel

Scholar
https://insider-gaming.com/exclusive-new-details-on-dragon-age-dreadwolf-revealed/

As for combat, one source, who recently played the game, suggested that it was more akin to a hack n’ slash compared to past games, and the game’s combat wheel is similar to that of the one in Final Fantasy 15. As for your crew, it was said that you currently cannot control them and only select the ability they can cast in combat.

Man, the old Bioware really is truly dead, sad to say...
EA should mercy-kill Bioware already. They've even dropped their trademark RTwP for god knows what. Was BG2 or NWN the last Bioware game with good combat? :deadhorse:
is it bad that i want to play is twice and then review it
Take one for the team.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
This looks like such a garbage non-game already. Seeing how popular "RPG elements" and success of AAA games like Assassin's creed, or relatively more "traditional" RPGs like Divos2 together with hype for BG3 or demand for new Bethesda games and all that you would think they would lean heavier on RPG side of things but no, whoever is doing market research for these guys for past 15 has been stuck back in 2008 ever since.

Last edited:
Shame they butchered the series so hard. I liked DA:O quite a bit.

Also, I still can't fathom the fact that they literally sell DA:I's actual ending as a DLC. Back in the day I literally just torrented the dlcs, put them into the Origin game folder and it actually worked. I have Origin achievements from dlcs I didn't even buy.

Rhobar121

Scholar
https://insider-gaming.com/exclusive-new-details-on-dragon-age-dreadwolf-revealed/

As for combat, one source, who recently played the game, suggested that it was more akin to a hack n’ slash compared to past games, and the game’s combat wheel is similar to that of the one in Final Fantasy 15. As for your crew, it was said that you currently cannot control them and only select the ability they can cast in combat.

Man, the old Bioware really is truly dead, sad to say...
EA should mercy-kill Bioware already. They've even dropped their trademark RTwP for god knows what. Was BG2 or NWN the last Bioware game with good combat? :deadhorse:
is it bad that i want to play is twice and then review it
Take one for the team.
A good combat system and RTwP are complete opposites.

Semiurge

Cipher
Oh and the player character's hair looked glorious. I mean, it was clipping right through their helmet. But it was flowing and bouncing as they moved. Finally, no more stiff ass hair. Now, let's hope we have more than just two black hairstyles.

Get ready for more kink.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom