Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Well that just means you've got decent taste. Don't feel too shit about it, it isn't OUR fault. Wheels turn and return, shit times right now but there's always SOMEthing good to play. It's just not usually the main thing - a bit like McDonalds isn't the best food but lots of people eat it cos it's easy and they know it, it advertises and it's everywhere. Companies like EA have reach the likes of which most smaller companies can just not obtain.

quixotic

Learned
The amount of pure copium you, and most 'dexers are huffing is comical as hell. Because its like Valorant, Overwatch, and other flashy cartoonish games that are all the rage with Zoomers. It is also fabulous, inclusive, diverse and you can just about guess it will be full of Zoomer / late Millennial cringe as fuck 'humor' and writing.

It will be hugely successful and sell LOTS of copy. Just because a bunch of old grumpy farts on a forgotten forum make up approximately 0.001% of gay-me revenue doesn't not mean your wishes will become reality. You all are like retarded leftists wishing a thing to be true makes it true, right? Men can be women, Ukraine is winning, negros are just like all other races, shall I go on? Copium overdose...

Just like how Volition and Rocksteady are doing better than ever.
It will be hugely successful and sell LOTS of copy.
Like Forspoken, and that Saints Row reboot, and that Suicide Squad game. :smug:
I'm just going to leave these here...

View attachment 50881
View attachment 50883

Again, just because you want things to be a certain way, does not make them that way. Goyslop sells. This is the working definition of it. Modern gay-mer focused shite. Starfield sold $657M worth of copy and that was a fucking trainwreck of woke propaganda, shit tier writing, and abysmal gameplay. More clear now? But keep huffing the copium. I'm somewhat enjoying forcing this bitter blackpill down everyone's throat tonight.
You’re using STARFIELD as a measure of success? It underperformed at best.

You are all so full of shit. You all have an agenda to crap on this game to save face for Larian, and that's the damn truth. This game is no less woke or made for mass appeal than BG3 was, yet you put that game on a pedestal constantly. You were all going to do this regardless of how Dragon Age turned out because that's what pathetic simps do.
This is the Dragon Age thread you ding dong.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
It was a shit game but how much did it SELL? That is the only metric that matters. The preorders alone were in the millions weren't they? It probably paid for itself before it even released!

Ed: sniped but that was in response to the Starfield comment above.

9ted6

Educated
I find it interesting that the only elf companions on this game are black and asian. I guess the opressed and enslaved race couldn't be white anymore.
Elves are an inherent symbol of whiteness. A mythical race dreamt of by white people. An idealized European.

Just as every redheaded character must be replaced with an African in a crimson wig, you cannot eliminate the spirit of whiteness from media so long as the idea of elves remains intact.

When Lenin and co took over Russia and formed the Soviet Union, one of the first things they did was to destroy all of the tsarist monuments of the past so that no one would remember the dignity of what came before. In their place:

EYytCq8.png

This ugly shit.

So too must the Left destroy what came before, or everyone will remember the old and say it was better.
What about dwarves? Dwarves are cool and DAO probably had some of the best fantasy dwarves out there. It's one of very few things the setting did that was at least kind of unique and also generally good.

Most depictions are cartoony or fairytale like or one note. WoW's are a flanderized engineer race. Warhammer dwarves are flanderized inept retards. Tolkien dwarves barely have any character at all. DAO balanced them being grumpy and honorable with enough depth and sense that they didn't feel one note, bland or stupid.

Now that I think of it they're probably the one race Bioware hasn't gone out of its way to fuck over the lore of and wokeify. Guaranteed that'll change though.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Agreed that DA:O was probably the best Dwarf playthrough/portrayal I've seen, with Korgan? Kurgan? Coming in as an honourable mention. Was an NPC and don't remember what from but he was cool.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The amount of pure copium you, and most 'dexers are huffing is comical as hell. Because its like Valorant, Overwatch, and other flashy cartoonish games that are all the rage with Zoomers. It is also fabulous, inclusive, diverse and you can just about guess it will be full of Zoomer / late Millennial cringe as fuck 'humor' and writing.

It will be hugely successful and sell LOTS of copy. Just because a bunch of old grumpy farts on a forgotten forum make up approximately 0.001% of gay-me revenue doesn't not mean your wishes will become reality. You all are like retarded leftists wishing a thing to be true makes it true, right? Men can be women, Ukraine is winning, negros are just like all other races, shall I go on? Copium overdose...

View attachment 50881
View attachment 50883

Again, just because you want things to be a certain way, does not make them that way. Goyslop sells. This is the working definition of it. Modern gay-mer focused shite. Starfield sold $657M worth of copy and that was a fucking trainwreck of woke propaganda, shit tier writing, and abysmal gameplay. More clear now? But keep huffing the copium. I'm somewhat enjoying forcing this bitter blackpill down everyone's throat tonight.
Yet both Anthem and Mass Effect Andromeda, last two games made by Bioware flopped hard.

Also there is no official sales numbers for Inquisition which is not s good sign since companies like to brag with good sales. So we can easily assume that it too at least underperformed.

9ted6

Educated
There is or was a theory going around leddit that Gayguard wasn't a rename but a complete rewrite of Dreadwolf because most of its team left. Practically a new project. If that's true then it had to have been in the works for awhile now. Presumably forming the Veilvengers has been the core for longer than a few months before release.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Well it would make sense. Decent team rebelled and got the sack/cost too much so the obvious moneymaking choice is to hire a bunch of gender studies students with half a creative writing degree and let them write fanfiction with an AI for intern wages. Would result in Veilvengers, probably. Minimum viable product, etc.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Why dwarves are cool in most settings: they're little fucking manlets that are always the buttmonkey of their setting, but they man up, grow some beards, drink some beer, and hack off the legs of all their enemies.

Look at dwarves in LoTR, Warhammer, and DA: they constantly get shat on but they get the fuck over it and adapt.

Why elves are lame as shit in most settings: they're usually the oldest race, the strongest magic users, have elf privilege, and still quickly declining to the point where they're basically on the way out or enslaved. Or just weird sex freaks.

They've been reduced to a big tiddy elf waifu/slave meme.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
:philosoraptor:

Hm... Monster design has that "generic plastic toy" feel to it.

Veilguard looks like it was made to promote a new line of Bad Dragon products.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
they're usually the oldest race, the strongest magic users, have elf privilege, and still quickly declining to the point where they're basically on the way out or enslaved. Or just weird sex freaks.
So...still basically white people then?
They've been reduced to a big tiddy elf waifu/slave meme.
Reduced?

But yeah, outside of Tolkien, elves are usually garbage. They fall victim to every kind of corny writing. Legolas may have been a bit of a fag, but he was a bro by Helm's Deep.

View attachment 50881
View attachment 50883

What point do you think you’re making?

ropetight

Savant

View attachment 50881
View attachment 50883

Yet both Anthem and Mass Effect Andromeda, last two games made by Bioware flopped hard.

Also there is no official sales numbers for Inquisition which is not s good sign since companies like to brag with good sales. So we can easily assume that it too at least underperformed.
With a modern AAA budgets in hundreds millions, million copies is a certifiable, studio-closing flop.
Game with budget of 200 millions has to sell 4 million copies priced 70$ just to break even, if you are generous and assume stores will take only 10-15%.
And money came without interest - which it doesn't.
Realistically, in this case everything below 5 million copies is a flop.

It is the same thing with AAA games and Disney's overinflated blockbusters that need half a billion just to break even.
Most of these games and movies are destined to be flops.

scytheavatar

Scholar
It was a shit game but how much did it SELL? That is the only metric that matters. The preorders alone were in the millions weren't they? It probably paid for itself before it even released!

Ed: sniped but that was in response to the Starfield comment above.

Starfield is without a doubt an expensive game to produce, I will be surprised if it cost anything less than 300M to make. "Millions" of sales tells us nothing about whether or not the game is profitable.

The ultimate metric for measuring the game's success is the $7.5 billion Microsoft paid for Bethesda, which all of Bethesda's games need to go towards paying for. And so far Starfield looks far from being a game worth 1B in revenue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom