Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Companions interacting with each other is the best part of having companions. There aren't a lot of Kreia/PC relationships in video gaming, let me tell you.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Companions interacting with each other is the best part of having companions. There aren't a lot of Kreia/PC relationships in video gaming, let me tell you.

Yeah. The proto-companion game BG2 doesn't have generally great companions, but their interactions are often hilarious

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Yeah. The proto-companion game BG2 doesn't have generally great companions, but their interactions are often hilarious
This also is true for BG1. Just TRY keeping the Harpers and the Zhents long enough in your team :smug:

BruceVC

Magister

This also is true for BG1. Just TRY keeping the Harpers and the Zhents long enough in your team :smug:
One of the funniest interactions in BG1 I found was with Kivan when he opens up about the terrible story about his wife getting tortured and killed by Tazok and you have the option to say things like " oh no, not this story again " or " time to move on , no point dwelling in the past " :-D

Warrax

Barely Literate
This game will flop not because it's "woke" (even if it is), but because it's just bad. The gameplay, story, companions, dialogue, everything looks generic as fuck.

Bioware has gotten rid of everything that ever made Dragon Age interesting.

Tytus

Arcane
I think it's supposed to be a pride demon.

urhQogv.png

I wish, new Pride Demons look worse too.

DhUZB8M.jpeg

H4AcuzS.jpeg

From imposing monster to some floaty Destiny 2 enemy.

Poseidon00

Arcane

I remember being pleasantly surprised when Shar-teel attacked Eldoth after he randomly insulted her.

Vulpes

Scholar
Elves are an inherent symbol of whiteness. A mythical race dreamt of by white people. An idealized European.
They're an inherently evil race that use magical powers to mess with humans, you faggot-ass race traitor. Same goes for sirens, fairies and pretty much every other humanoid-looking European mythological creature. It is the white man's duty drive away such wicked and deceptive monsters from his lands, not fucking defend them.

Incognito

Backlog incliner
Patron
And how are the ratings of gameplay reveal?
54k likes,, 71k dislikes

Not as bad, but I think a lot of those who saw the trailer will skip the gameplay reveal.

Aah the schadenfreude....

"Bioware is like an old friend you haven't seen for years. You finally catch up with them, only to find out they're addicted to meth now. So sad."

"Solas is offing team members like an EA General Manager"

"Why do I feel like the people who made this haven't even seen dragon age origins? It feels like a different world entirely."

"Rest in peace Dragon Age"

"I bought Baldur's Gate 3 at release for full price and was not disappointed. I'll probably buy Dragon Age: The Veilguard for a massive discount and still be disappointed."

"Why are the demons neon signs now?"

"Remember when Dragon Age used to require more than an ounce of thought to play? We now get a hack and slash interactive film to play. Including indicators when enemies are going to slap and shoot you. Games really don't respect our intelligence anymore."

"How did the company that made Neverwinter Nights and Kotor make this"

Lodis

Educated
they missed most important thing - most popular romance was semi-attractive shadowheart. do you see anyone even on that level in the list of da4 companions?
Gay bear sex and a gay, snarky vampire were far more prominent in the marketing.
Because unlike Bioware Larian knows how to market a game for maximum outreach while still making the actual game appealing to the average gamer. The actual in game stats showed that Shadowslut was the most romanced companion by a country mile compared to everyone else followed by the two other female party members, gay sassy vampire and bara bear druid were nowhere in sight. Majority of gamers are still straight males, something that current Bioware seems to refuse to accept.

zEWcvAN.jpeg

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
they missed most important thing - most popular romance was semi-attractive shadowheart. do you see anyone even on that level in the list of da4 companions?
Gay bear sex and a gay, snarky vampire were far more prominent in the marketing.
Because unlike Bioware Larian knows how to market a game for maximum outreach while still making the actual game appealing to the average gamer. The actual in game stats showed that Shadowslut was the most romanced companion by a country mile compared to everyone else followed by the two other female party members, gay sassy vampire and bara bear druid were nowhere in sight. Majority of gamers are still straight males, something that current Bioware seems to refuse to accept.

zEWcvAN.jpeg

shadowheart-gods-favourite-princess-v0-cq4keimpdx3c1.jpg

Tytus

Arcane
So I watched the gameplay and maaan....

The gameplay trailer had the worst elements of modern games, like health sponge enemies, scripted events to the point of absurdity. For example, demons appear on the streets and run next to your party but don’t attack you because it’s a walkin' n talkin' section. Entire scenes are on rails without any player interaction, just with intermissions for combat that consists of pointless dodging, and jumping all over the place and spinning around.

But the most pathetic/funny part was how they decided to highlight how faction choice (your background) affects the story. A character says to the protagonist, who has the Shadow Dragons background, meaning they're from the Tevinter capital: “You belong to the Shadow Dragons, you know Minrathas, you surely know how to help us.” The response you can choose is, “Yeah, but it’s not my neighborhood.” If a background dialogue option has no impact on the story, why even have it there? WTF Bioware.

Also, the voice acting of the enemies (Venatori - blood mages) sounded so bad, like placeholder dialogue (I hope it is), but the release is in the fall.

Furthermore, the new demon design sucks. They made the imposing looking Pride Demon into a floating mass of stuff and lightning. There were also sections like, “Okay, Varric distracts Solas, we need to topple a statue.” So, I thought there would be obstacles along the way, some combat, maybe you need to be careful not to be noticed by Solas. Anything. But nope. It’s a walking simulator section. You just press a button to move forward and press another button to start a cutscene. This whole section could've been a cutscene, then.

I thought the visual clusterfuck was my issue, but my wife also thought there was so much happening on the screen, so many flashes, so much jumping, so many elements that you can’t focus your eyes on anything specific. Plus, the dialogue wheel gives me ME3 Vietnam flashbacks.

5ae2322c135dfb99ceeb304ff685885ac70b58c5.png

VS

image.png

Dialogue options? Who needs them?

And then we have those super annoying telegraphed attacks, like when a shooting enemy targets you and a flashing attack trajectory appears. The worst aspects from DAI are back, like the limit of three healing potions. But cooldown arrows were a new one and equally shitty. You have eight arrows in your quiver, but they… regenerate if you stop shooting (God of War style) But hey, with one boss fight they showed, where the boss had three super long health bars, cooldown abilities are a must, I guess.

BTW, I couldn’t put my finger on what bothers me so much about the combat outside of obvious things, but now I get it, it clicked. DA2 has a section that starts the game where everyone jumps all over the place, explosions are everywhere, etc. But later it’s revealed it was actually Varric making things up, and he is forced to tell the actual story, and the combat slows down. It’s still very actiony, but not as ridiculous. DA4 combat looks like that exaggerated opening of Varric’s story.

You either die or live long enough to become a self-parody, or so it seems.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
But the most pathetic/funny part was how they decided to highlight how faction choice (your background) affects the story. A character says to the protagonist, who has the Shadow Dragons background, meaning they're from the Tevinter capital: “You belong to the Shadow Dragons, you know Minrathas, you surely know how to help us.” The response you can choose is, “Yeah, but it’s not my neighborhood.” If a background dialogue option has no impact on the story, why even have it there? WTF Bioware.
For that alone they must forever be named and shamed.

Last edited:

Lodis

Educated
Is the indian(?) character supposed to be a tranny? Because that is not a woman's voice I'm hearing.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter
And what's interesting in this game is, if you don't romance characters, they may decide to find their own romances for themselves, whether within the team or within the world itself.
I have a cunning idea for future game designers: all party members develop relationships during the game, which culminate in a huge orgy after the final boss battle.
That wouldn't be a bad idea if the characters looked good. Nobody in their right mind wants to see these fat trolls engage in sex.

jf8350143

Liturgist
It's pretty funny to see people complaining this game looks nothing like DAO and too action oriented. Like this is a direct sequel to that game.

Where have you guys been in the last 20 years? Bioware has stopped making old school RPG for almost 20 years now, one of their most beloved game(if not the most beloved) Mass Effect 2 has the most bare bone RPG system in all of their games. Yet all of sudden they start to care about system depth now.

Stoned Ape

Savant
Fagging Age: The Failtard.

I'm surprised the female dwarves don't have facial hair. I thought with all the inclusivity on display that Bioware take the opportunity to promote bearded women.

Tytus

Arcane
It's pretty funny to see people complaining this game looks nothing like DAO and too action oriented. Like this is a direct sequel to that game.

It is a direct sequel to Inquisition that was less action oriented than DA2 was.
DA4 is DA2 on steroids.

BruceVC

Magister

It is a direct sequel to Inquisition that was less action oriented than DA2 was.
DA4 is DA2 on steroids.
Hopefully that means some hot Romance options like Isabella :bounce:

I remember the days when Bioware use to have attractive women in there games. I know it sounds impossible to believe but its true

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Even Tim Russ was white back in the day...
Tim Russ actually won me over in Voyager. In fact, he's the only one that I liked in that show. I like the actress that played Janeway, but the character was awful. That show was awful. But Tim Russ was great. He's also participated in several fan projects before CBS shut them down, and probably one of the big reasons CBS barred series actors from participating in future projects.
Rocksteady are doing better than ever.
There's rumors that Rocksteady is going to do the Hogwarts Legacy Director's Cut while the original studio is working on the sequel. So, they got tossed a bone.
Yet both Anthem and Mass Effect Andromeda, last two games made by Bioware flopped hard.
Anthem sold 5 million units, which is something anyone else would brag about, but EA was expecting it to sell numbers similar to Star Wars Battlefront, in the range of 20+ million. It didn't flop hard, but it under-performed based on their sky high projections. Andromeda is in the same boat.
Also there is no official sales numbers for Inquisition which is not s good sign since companies like to brag with good sales. So we can easily assume that it too at least underperformed.
Inquisition was also made in less than two years, so I doubt it cost nearly as much to make as most BioWare games.
Some of the shilling lol...
You know that article would read completely differently if the elves weren't black and the only white guy wasn't queer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom