Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
Inquisition was also made in less than two years, so I doubt it cost nearly as much to make as most BioWare games.

Depends on how many iterations they went through, no?

Shitposter
Gameplay video is almost at a 100k dislikes :) :) . I am not aware of any game that had this much dislike to like ratio on its promotional material that was successful. They flop hard.
It's not entirely accurate. Not to say that it's not representative because it's fair to say that the gameplay reveal was mixed.

YouTube's Return of Dislike estimation actually have 20-40% margin of error. It's an estimation. Not the actual numbers.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I find it interesting that the only elf companions on this game are black and asian. I guess the opressed and enslaved race couldn't be white anymore.
Even Tim Russ was white back in the day...
How's that relevant? I'm talking about Dragon Age. Elves were white in the other 3 games.
It's clear that they raceswapped them because they can't show a white fantasy race being opressed.
They obviously didn't change Solas and i assume the evil elven gods are going to be white too.
Oh. My. Lord... Please tell me you are not this retarded...

Tytus

Arcane
Anthem sold 5 million units, which is something anyone else would brag about, but EA was expecting it to sell numbers similar to Star Wars Battlefront, in the range of 20+ million. It didn't flop hard, but it under-performed based on their sky high projections. Andromeda is in the same boat.

This does not address the ROI issue.
Anthem spent 7 years in development. It had over 200 devs working on it.
Considering average annual salary (with both junior and senior devs, and bonuses)
They could've spent as much as 120-140 mln on it. And that does not include marketing. Which seemed to be pretty extensive with live action trailers, advertisements being everywhere etc.

It sold 3mln copies on release, and the other 2mln came later.
And you can't really count as 60 dollars x 3 mln because there is a retailer cut, publisher cut, developer cut etc.
Even if the copy is sold digitally, EA and Bioware still needs to split the money. But EA is the one financing most of the game's development.

So EA expecting the game to move plenty of copies when they spent so much money on it is not that surprising. The game probably (after cost) made a modest amount of money, which isn't something EA wants to report to the investors.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
The main plot point of DA2 - whether it's justified to pre-emptively muzzle potentially dangerous individuals even tho they didn't do nuffin yet - is one of the best I've seen in any game. It's tied to the pre-crime/preemptive war questions people have been grappling with since forever.
Except DA2 wasn't about this. It was about freeing the poor helpless blacks and gays I mean mages from the ebil whites. There is no scenario where you are allowed to put them back in their cages or mass-genocide them.

This is classic propaganda. It pretends you're making a decision as it forces you automatically to the 'correct' outcome. You can debate whether it was okay or not after the fact but there's no option to actually prevent the freeing of the dangerous people. DA:O meanwhile allows you to side freely against any faction, fuck the kingdom for the usurper, kill all the mages, slaughter elves for werewolf foot solders, and profane the ashes of psuedo-Christ just for a new class specialization.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
DA2 tries hard to make the Mages look like the good guys but utterly fails because they break their "No blood magic" rule at the drop of a hat.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
DA2 was stupid in multiple simultaneous ways.

The characters, probably unintentionally, having been written as acting like stupid people themselves, was the cherry on top.

Kaivokz

Arcane
1718125081202748.jpg

:dead:
Looks like some mobile chinese shit you can grab on google play store.
Do these people even try to play their games?
I look at this screen and cannot even imagine how it can be played. How can we get UI worse than some Amiga UI from 30 years ago.
Not sure if anyone has addressed this yet, but that’s a Mass Effect style ability menu that pauses the game: it isn’t the general UI you have while playing.

I think DA4 will suck, but this thread is a circlejerk of people quickly approaching the retardation of the average DA lover.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
This does not address the ROI issue.
Anthem spent 7 years in development. It had over 200 devs working on it.
Considering average annual salary (with both junior and senior devs, and bonuses)
They could've spent as much as 120-140 mln on it. And that does not include marketing. Which seemed to be pretty extensive with live action trailers, advertisements being everywhere etc.
Oh, don't get me wrong, they probably did spend a fortune on this thing particularly at the end when they were throwing everything they could at it to get it out the door but I would consider "flopping hard" as losing a lot of money. I don't even think it lost money, it just didn't come close to the expectations that EA had for the game.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
Not sure if anyone has addressed this yet, but that’s a Mass Effect style ability menu that pauses the game: it isn’t the general UI you have while playing.
I thought was pretty obvious, that's why i didn't mentioned anything, the combat is now ME Andromeda but in Dragon Age form. But still not great, considering we went from having as many abilities slots as we want to a limited 8 slots in Inquisition and now we only have 3 and lost direct control over companions. I guess you could argue that we have 9 abilites (PC + companions) plus a few combos.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
This looks like someone told an AI to make a version of Dragon Age: Inquisition that's x10 more gay and retarded, and it succeeded with flying colours.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I am about 90% sure this is an up-jumped mobile game. Those generic as hell 'spooky skeletons' look like the same crap from every shitty Chinese gacha trash. Gameplay consists of running in a straight line and engaging a few monsters without even basic exploration or interaction. Game structure is said to be 'mission based' like a mobile game.

I'm sure at some point in development EA said to turn it into a mobile game. But it took too long and now EA feels like that gold rush has passed so they allowed them to rework it into a PC game. still, you can't wash off the stink. Explains why the game looks so simple and cartoonish, the basic bitch attack spam, the Chinese knockoff Varric, etc.

That's my assumption and I'm sticking with it until disproven.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's just a symptom of being redone from scratch 3 times. It's a linear corridor and mission-based action game because that's the easiest/fastest to develop. I wouldn't be surprised if they already had the shell of such a game and just retooled it to be a Dragon Age one to save even more time/money. That would explain why none of the iconography even vaguely resembles Dragon Age.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom