Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Reinhardt

Arcane
but we all played it for metric ton of choices and consequences.
c&c has no meaning if you don't care about world at all. "oh noes! druids/tieflings/gobbos will die!" "and?"
that's main problem with unlikeable cast.

Vatnik Wumao
c&c has no meaning if you don't care about world at all. "oh noes! druids/tieflings/gobbos will die!" "and?"
I'm mostly disappointed in the evil C&C since it just means less content. No goblin equivalent to tiefling content after first chapter, siding with Ketheric just meaning that you skip some content before you are forced to fight him anyway at the end of chapter 2, siding with Gortash in chapter 3 just meaning that you avoid a fight and later on he unceremoniously dies anyway in order to railroad you to the same endings as if you didn't side with him. And on the companion side, not really providing proper evil companions and Minthara still being barebones despite Larian's deflection that it was just due to bugs on release.

Old Hans

Arcane
I'm mostly disappointed in the evil C&C since it just means less content. No goblin equivalent to tiefling content after first chapter, siding with Ketheric just meaning that you skip some content before you are forced to fight him anyway at the end of chapter 2, siding with Gortash in chapter 3 just meaning that you avoid a fight and later on he unceremoniously dies anyway in order to railroad you to the same endings as if you didn't side with him. And on the companion side, not really providing proper evil companions and Minthara still being barebones despite Larian's deflection that it was just due to bugs on release.
honestly the Tiefling content isnt even that great. The main motivation for helping tierflings is act 3 plate armor from the blacksmith & the act 2 robes from the Tiefling bard girl, and if anyone says otherwise they are big fat liars

Vatnik Wumao
honestly the Tiefling content isnt even that great.
Agreed, but it's just another case of Larian prioritizing good playthroughs and treating evil as a sort of fail state equivalent to that. Playing an evil character is simply not worth it outside of Durge content.

Old Hans

Arcane
honestly the Tiefling content isnt even that great.
Agreed, but it's just another case of Larian prioritizing good playthroughs and treating evil as a sort of fail state equivalent to that. Playing an evil character is simply not worth it outside of Durge content.
I do agree if feels really lack luster. Even durge is barely different than playing a normal evil Tav. You can basically do all the same stuff

Just watched the gameplay reveal trailer and the choices they’re making are kind of baffling. They’re making an action game, but there don’t seem to be any combos with the normal attacks, there doesn’t seem to be any jumping despite the third person presentation that would accommodate that type of gameplay, and the camera isn’t exactly placed in the best spot to show off the attack indicators on the ground.

The way the combat works, it seems like they would’ve been better off going with an isometric view like Diablo. Which would’ve easily allowed them to keep the whole real-time tactical command aspect from the first game, and if they wanted, they could’ve done four player couch co-op on consoles and maybe even PC if they wanted. Would’ve probably cost them less to go that route as well. And it’s not like isometric action games don’t sell, BioWare would kill for any of their games to do as well over a lifetime as Diablo 3 or 4 did in a day or a week.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I agree with pretty much all of this to a degree. But take BG3 and ignore the woke and the bad writing. Compare it to any RPG from 1999 afterward. It's still more complex. It still has more content. You can say X choice is fake, but there are enough real ones that you don't notice.

Arcanum was a broken mess on release with terrible combat, but we all played it for metric ton of choices and consequences. And that's exactly why even people who hate turn-based combat are playing this.

I don't agree that amount of content or reactivity really helped sell the game. These are things die-hard fans care about, not the general public. I think BG3 would sell just as well if it was half as short and completely remove Durge.
IMO the things that really sold the game were:
-The Writing (ironically): companions and plot might be weak according to your average Codexers but they're above most recent western releases. Shadowheart and Lae'zel gained some following in times when most western female characters are fucking despised. Also, the plot falls apart in the later half of the game. Most players won't even get that far.
-Production value: no top-down turn-based RPG ever looked as good. Making every important conversation into a cinematic is a sure way to sell the game to normies. Even dicerolls look fancy. Compared to that Veilguard looks just bland. Most of the lines were delivered during the gameplay.
-Larian approach to combat. There is some unique element in most combat encounters in BG3. Either enemies themselves, their postioning, timer, etc. Vailgaurd trailer lasts 20 minutes, yet they fight 3 identical groups of cultists and 3 identical groups of demons.
These 3 make Baldur's Gate look very impressive when you're watching a trailer, a review with gameplay segments or a streamer going through the game.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
I think BG3 would've worked best as a duology. Perfect ending for the first game with Ketheric as the final boss and the narrative reveal of the Dead Three's plan, then the second game could've had an intro where you reach Baldur's Gate, a first chapter focused on the lower city and Bhaal, a second chapter focused on the upper city and Bane and then the final shorter chapter dealing with the Absolute and the ramifications of your actions and choices within the prior chapters. Naturally, it could've also had quests that take you to other realms (e.g. Avernus) while otherwise being mostly limited to the city of Baldur's Gate.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
companions and plot might be weak according to your average Codexers but they're above most recent western releases. Shadohear and La'Zeal gained some following in times when most western female characters are fucking despised. Also, the plot falls apart in the later half of the game. Most players won't even get that far.
Shadowheart and Lae'zel gets so much content compare to anything else in hindsight:

Lae'zel gets to shine during entire crenche , every Gith related content, has her entire story extremly tied to the main story and has the most ''complex'' arc of any companion.

While Shadowhearts gets the entire Act 2 , one of the companion from Baldurs Gate 1/2 as a villian , TWO animated Flashbacks, two entire dungeons and it has the second most line recorded. And you're basically forced to get her.

Only Astarion comes closer.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I think the most hilarious part of all this is the various Twitter/Reddit bots calling others "not real BioWare fans."

1718217243682.png

B-b-but you're not even a real bio-sister!!! I have a Solas bodypillow and matching dildo! I'm a paid shi-

1718217541263.png

Character lore as in for the PC... in a singleplayer video game...

What kind of insane cope is this?

Last edited:

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I agree with pretty much all of this to a degree. But take BG3 and ignore the woke and the bad writing. Compare it to any RPG from 1999 afterward. It's still more complex. It still has more content. You can say X choice is fake, but there are enough real ones that you don't notice.

Arcanum was a broken mess on release with terrible combat, but we all played it for metric ton of choices and consequences. And that's exactly why even people who hate turn-based combat are playing this.

I don't agree that amount of content or reactivity really helped sell the game. These are things die-hard fans care about, not the general public. I think BG3 would sell just as well if it was half as short and completely remove Durge.
IMO the things that really sold the game were:
-The Writing (ironically): companions and plot might be weak according to your average Codexers but they're above most recent western releases. Shadowheart and Lae'zel gained some following in times when most western female characters are fucking despised. Also, the plot falls apart in the later half of the game. Most players won't even get that far.
-Production value: no top-down turn-based RPG ever looked as good. Making every important conversation into a cinematic is a sure way to sell the game to normies. Even dicerolls look fancy. Compared to that Veilguard looks just bland. Most of the lines were delivered during the gameplay.
-Larian approach to combat. There is some unique element in most combat encounters in BG3. Either enemies themselves, their postioning, timer, etc. Vailgaurd trailer lasts 20 minutes, yet they fight 3 identical groups of cultists and 3 identical groups of demons.
These 3 make Baldur's Gate look very impressive when you're watching a trailer, a review with gameplay segments or a streamer going through the game.

Hate to say it, but the focus on multiplayer was the biggest success with normies. Convincing others to try it in co-op even if they never liked TBRPGs was 99% of the cases with normies. Ofc none of them even got to the goblin camp let alone finish act 1, I agree the amount of content had zero impact on the success.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Bioware fandom civil war incoming?

Lol, they don't have the numbers. EA-controlled BioWare made the conscious decision to abandon their old audience years ago. The audience they painstakingly built up with their old games.

That audience is long gone and no amount of EA money will bring them back.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a massive amount of face-saving measures in the days ahead.

EA delenda est. Ubisoft delenda est.

GrainWetski

Arcane
The trans nigger body type 2 druid will die if you don't suck the tentacle!

Just ignore everything you read and do in the game and it's just amazing. It sold MILLIONS!

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Again, you can't see past what you don't like about the game, so you can't understand why it's successful.

95% positive on Steam. Millions of sales. No ratio on youtube trailers. And you're just like "but there's woke in it! it's the same as Dragon Age!!"

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No save import, just tell the game what you did: https://www.ign.com/articles/dragon...-previous-games-through-the-character-creator

BioWare Details How Previous Choices Will be Imported Into Dragon Age: The Veilguard​

Good news, you'll be able to recreate your Inquisitor. Here's how.​

Yes, you will be able to carry over your decisions from previous Dragon Age games into The Veilguard — it'll just work a little differently this time.

In an interview with IGN, Dragon Age: The Veilguard Game Director Corinne Busche says the ability to import your choices is "fully integrated into the character creator this time around." What's more, Busche confirmed that you'll be able to customize your Inquisitor if you want to remake your protagonist from Dragon Age: Inquisition.

"What's not lost on us is that it's been 10 years since existing players have played. They might not remember [what they did in previous games]," Busche explains. "They might need that refresher and we don't want new players to feel like they're missing out on those decisions. So in the character creator, I like to call it last time on Dragon Age, but you can go into your past adventures and it, actually through tarot cards, tells you what the context was and what decision you want to make."

When pressed further about if all the previous characters would be woven into The Veilguard, like Hawke, Busch says, "I won't say everybody, but yes, some of them."

What it sounds like is that BioWare may be abandoning Dragon Age Keep, which would allow you to export your world state from previous Dragon Age games into Inquisition through your save files. When asked if The Veilguard would read saves from Dragon Age Origins, Dragon Age II, or Dragon Age: Inquisition, Busche confirmed that it wouldn't.

"The technology is so different and we wanted it to be in the client," she says.

Indeed, Busche also confirms that The Veilguard players won't have to link to their accounts for this option, as you'll be able to play the game fully offline. And, yes, it's a single-player game and has no microtransactions.

It's only the latest in a trove of information we've gotten about Dragon Age: The Veilguard lately, in addition to its extended gameplay showcase today. BioWare recently showed off the seven companions in its Xbox Showcase trailer, and before that, it officially announced that it's changing its name from Dragon Age: Dreadwolf. Dragon Age: The Veilguard will release sometime this Fall.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I'm mostly disappointed in the evil C&C since it just means less content.
I don't actually care about this so long as the choices you're offered deviate from the good path.

I'd rather have less content than the same content with a different label.

Devs probably realize that fewer people will stomach the full evil path, so they put all their effort on a complete good game. I may not like it, but it's understandable. Arcanum was similar. The evil path is mostly just you killing NPCs. But at least its there.
No goblin equivalent to tiefling content after first chapter, siding with Ketheric just meaning that you skip some content before you are forced to fight him anyway at the end of chapter 2
You do get Minthara though, if heavy smokers are your thing.

But this is my point: will you have even this much choice in Dragon Age? I doubt it. Look at those dialog wheels. It's Oblivion and Mass Effect all over again.

Padzi

Arbiter
When I was recreating my choices for DA: I in Dragon Keep, I couldn't even remember half of the stupid things I did in the previous games. I can't wait to open the creator and my amnesia to strikes back because it's been 10 years since the last game came out.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
It probably won't matter. I wouldn't expect even a Witcher 3 level of reactivity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom