Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I can't see it, even with the journo hype.
I wouldn't underestimate the power of mainstream hype in the vast normie herd, especially in the RPG genre.

The fact that the magenta dangerhair zoomer aesthetics led to catastrophic flops in the online shooter market, populated mostly by highly competitive toxic males, doesn't mean it has the same effect elsewhere. Look at BG3, from distance it looks like the gayest RPG ever made, most characters look like a fucking Zoolander, and it sold like cocaine.

The RPG market is just different, you can bet your balls the game will be chock full of social features like romances, dating, weird sex options and other assorted faggotry. Millions of weirdos might temporarily drop their Nintendo controllers and jump into Veilguard.
Fair points, but I think the Fortnite style graphics are even breaking some sense into the normie cunts. BG3 still looked a bit fantasy, DA:tVG looks Overwatchy and even the Inquisition-loving normies know it...

dLf2c4M.png

plxMgzU.png

It certainly wouldn't surprise me if it started to snag some Nintendo fanboys though. It's horrid, garish style should be right up their ally.
Alley. AllEy!!!!

Right up their ally is gay furry sh- ... wait... Bioware... Failguard... You know what? Nevermind, carry on.

Thalstarion

Educated
It doesn't even appeal to authentic gays or lesbians. These character designs are entirely focused around specific fetishes and subversion.

Necrensha

Educated
Thing is, modern BioWare includes DAO. That game was already a huge disappointment.
A huge disappointment compared to what? The golden age ended far before DAO came out, I remember that around that time you had stuff like Oblivion, Fallout 3, The Witcher and not much else.
I start to call them modern Bioware around the time tumblerinas started to take over, so Mass Effect 2/Dragon Age 2.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It doesn't even appeal to authentic gays or lesbians. These character designs are entirely focused around specific fetishes and subversion.
It appeals to a very specific, young, chronically-online subset of the LGBTs that frequent sites like Tumblr and Twitter, which automatically shields them from outside influences and they live in their own little child-like bubble.

Hedasd

Literate
I wouldn't underestimate the power of mainstream hype in the vast normie herd, especially in the RPG genre.

The fact that the magenta dangerhair zoomer aesthetics led to catastrophic flops in the online shooter market, populated mostly by highly competitive toxic males, doesn't mean it has the same effect elsewhere. Look at BG3, from distance it looks like the gayest RPG ever made, most characters look like a fucking Zoolander, and it sold like cocaine.

The RPG market is just different, you can bet your balls the game will be chock full of social features like romances, dating, weird sex options and other assorted faggotry. Millions of weirdos might temporarily drop their Nintendo controllers and jump into Veilguard.
I wrote earlier in this thread about how the game isnt gaining much attention on Steam even with heavy focus on PC and Steam. I was expecting IGN coverage to ramp things up but it keeps going down in the list. Its not even in top 150 anymore(its at 164 right now). It is pretty pathetic for an AAA title with a big push behind it to be in this position, especially for the established franchise of an established company with less than 2 months from release. So far it only managed to gain some traction on Playstation, but thats really not surprising considering most remaining Bioware fans are on consoles along with EA's main target audience. They really need their version of "bear-sex" marketing move to work.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Inquisition sold 6 mil units, I'll be surprised if this sells half that.

This is very misleading, DA:I never had official sales stated by EA at any point so that is a sure indicator it did poorly. Second the game has been in tons of bundles and I think it was given for free or for 5$ on Origin back in the day. This 6 million figure (as always) is pure speculation. The same site (VG Charts) that this is from reported 1,1m sales first week and 3 millions after 2 years. If DA:V sales are even double the Inquisition one it will be a flop as this shit is in full development probably for at least 3 years as it was announced in late 2020.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think it's fair to say this is Bioware's last chance. If it doesn't do well, PapEA will be bringing the studio behind the shed. Bioware haven't done well in, like, what? 10 years? I'm surprised EA haven't pulled the trigger yet.

My one anecdotal data point on this is the friend I mentioned up-thread. Normal gaming tastes, liked DAI, completely uninterested in DtV. The presentation of this game is unattractive even to some normies, and the hype isn't helping.

Gargaune

Arcane
I think it's fair to say this is Bioware's last chance. If it doesn't do well, PapEA will be bringing the studio behind the shed. Bioware haven't done well in, like, what? 10 years? I'm surprised EA haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Nah, gut tells me they got one more fuckup after this. It's a big brand, they might get restructured when Failguard "underperforms expectations", but they'll probably get one more go around the block before EA shows them that really cool thing behind the shed.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Nah, gut tells me they got one more fuckup after this. It's a big brand, they might get restructured when Failguard "underperforms expectations", but they'll probably get one more go around the block before EA shows them that really cool thing behind the shed.
Yeah, AFAIK they've been working on a new Mass Effect for years now, EA would probably want to drag that over the finish line at the very least.

Semiurge

Cipher
I don't get this game at all
On the one hand they're pushing all these horrendous lgbqabc characters and overt romance/sexual themes to bait women and betas, on the other they seem to have made actual fast paced, 3d spacial awareness combat that appeals strictly to hwuite males
Due to the former the latter won't play the game and due to the latter the former won't
Is this game just fucked?

The combat is terrible, all flash. Rolling and sideways twirling with rainbow colors flying around, complete with ridiculous jumps and weapons that look like they should be heavy but which are swung around like butter knives. There's no weight to anything. Only those motherfucking rainbow fireworks.

And no blood. I bet that's gonna be rainbow colored too, when it shows eventually.

Fair points, but I think the Fortnite style graphics are even breaking some sense into the normie cunts. BG3 still looked a bit fantasy, DA:tVG looks Overwatchy and even the Inquisition-loving normies know it...

dLf2c4M.png

plxMgzU.png

It certainly wouldn't surprise me if it started to snag some Nintendo fanboys though. It's horrid, garish style should be right up their alley.

Just a quick look at those two pictures tells you one thing: that the other is male coded and the other girl coded. The BG3 poster actually makes the game look cool and interesting, just in the way that appeals to a broad spectrum of customers, and especially teen boys. Just like traditional fantasy art. The screenshot on the right is so lame in comparison, it tells you that there's not going to be anything exciting about the game. Everything is going to be safe and inoffensive, candy coated all over. DA:tVG is fantasy for young girls and like-minded individuals who shy away from anything edgy that would be "eww" in their books. It's clear which game has the broader appeal in an already niche niche (RPGs).

The official DA:tVG poster conveys the same impression as that screenshot. Uninspired, pink, blandly heroic character roster and enemy mooks almost as featureless as The Witch's minions in Suicide Squad (2016). Might as well be A.I-designed. Main character wields a dagger that looks like an oversized earring. Hopefully that doesn't give their nicknack department any ideas. Point is that if you showed that poster to an average member of the target group, like a 13 year old boy, they'd give you the look and tell you to fuck off. The DA:O trailer had blood & guts and a Marilyn Manson theme, and for that it could be called a game-equivalent of "heavy metal", or at least Bioware's milquetoast interpretation of it. What the hell does this thing have that could win over this hypothetical gamer? It looks like a game for sissies. There's no way around that.

i2ceqtv.jpeg

EA has obviously given some kind of blessing to this disgusting wokefest, but why? I have a theory on why EA has tolerated this purple shit factory known as Bioware for this long. Maybe EA is using Bioware as means to test the waters, to see how far they can take the political content without also infecting their mainline franchises with it. Failguard won't make them much money, not as much as it could, but EA can actually take the hit. For market research purposes. Maybe they figured that this experiment might pay off in the future. BG3 would of course serve as proof that a game can be ultra-woke as long as it covers the other coveted grounds as well. Woke in itself without competence is a death warrant.

Last edited:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Thing is, modern BioWare includes DAO. That game was already a huge disappointment.
A huge disappointment compared to what? The golden age ended far before DAO came out, I remember that around that time you had stuff like Oblivion, Fallout 3, The Witcher and not much else.
I start to call them modern Bioware around the time tumblerinas started to take over, so Mass Effect 2/Dragon Age 2.
To BioWare's previous offerings, obviously. Specifically, even ToB was much better, and BG2 simply stellar in comparison. Should we judge DAO along with its contemporaries, it pales in comparison to The Witcher. Admittedly, Fallout 3 and Oblivion are worse.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom