Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter
It's time to put a stop to arachnophobia.
Spiders are good pest control, let them live around your house and you will not have to worry about insects annoying you.
I have visited the houses of people who kill spiders and they are full of flies.
I wish dragon age had a mine full of spiders and you would gradually train them to obey you and later send them to missions for pest control and use the rewards from the grateful people to buy armor and weapons for your spider army.
Arachnophobia isn't a rational fear you fucking moron. That's literally in the definition of phobia:

A phobia is an anxiety disorder, defined by an irrational, unrealistic, persistent and excessive fear of an object or situation.

"LOL BUT SPIDERS ARE GOOD FOR YOUR HOUSE" You don't fucking say! Thanks for solving my issue Captain Obvious!
It is rational though. Mother Nature herself built it into us as a survival instinct. We are supposed to fear things we don't understand because it can save our lives. It's why we don't trust black people.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Spiders are good pest control, let them live around your house and you will not have to worry about insects annoying you.
I have visited the houses of people who kill spiders and they are full of flies.
Fuck off with these fake news you spider shill!
For testing purposes I left a few spiders in my home go about their business waiting to see if they catch any mosquitoes or ants or hell, whatever. Especially during the summer.
They caught nothing. Each sitting in their own little corner, week after week, looking dumb. I even went so far as to "push" a mosquito that landed nearby a spider web directly into it. And got stuck in it. Or so I thought. And then I left, planning to come back after 10 minutes or so to see if anything happened. I came back and I saw the mosquito freed itself and sat next to the web, the spider still in the same position as before, looking stupid. I was in shock.
Or I just got extremely lucky and only interacted with the stupidest specimens of their respective species. Which would explain at least a recent event where after spraying a cockroach he kept running into the wall exactly like a bugged NPC you see in a shitesda game, like he couldn't pathfind his way around the wall. Pretty funny.
I could be working with the low IQ niggers of the species.

Drakortha

Liturgist
I heard a theory about why so many people have irrational fear of spiders. The earliest humans in some ancient past, long before any recorded history we were preyed on by spiders. They were probably much larger, big enough to creep up at night and drag away a small child. Over centuries or millenia it probably became embedded in the reptilian part of our brain somewhere. That's where we got the fear from. Even though spiders are tiny now by comparison, it's their shape and movements that trigger our old fight or flight responses.

Darkwind

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I heard a theory about why so many people have irrational fear of spiders. The earliest humans in some ancient past, long before any recorded history we were preyed on by spiders. They were probably much larger, big enough to creep up at night and drag away a small child. Over centuries or millenia it probably became embedded in the reptilian part of our brain somewhere. That's where we got the fear from. Even though spiders are tiny now by comparison, it's their shape and movements that trigger our old fight or flight responses.

That is part of it (sort of) but the spiders that were big enough to 'drag away a small child' were millions of years gone before humans hit the scene so its more about their ability to poison, not the size. They are still venomous and quite dangerous if bitten depending on the species which we also have reptile brain awareness of. The final part is that they are simply utterly alien looking which triggers that same reptilian brain as something extremely "other" and to be concerned about. I read a study about this a while back and interestingly women are FAR more susceptible to this genetic level fear than men. Probably because they are helpless, defenseless, weak, and brainless (just squash it!) in general and spiders tended to creep around the domicile and be dangerous to them and their children.

Men of the ancient past were smart enough to simply use their hunter-gatherer spear to impale it or if small enough just crush it with a rock or a foot. Anecdotally this tracks. I have known many women with an irrational and paralyzing fear bordering on sheer terror related to arachnids. Only a few men I know suffer from this malady and the two that come to mind are very beta passive males for the most part.

So if you are very afraid of spiders there is probably a pretty good chance you are fairly feminine and/or a sissy manlet since you share this hereditary genetic fear primarily with women. (Paging Yosharian ) The more you know...

Last edited:

Herumor

Scholar
3OjDadU.png

Lame.
Will they get rid of transphobia by removing all the trannies?

DemonKing

Arcane
I'd appreciate a "Modern Audience" tickbox at the beginning of the game that you have to check if you want TOP scars, purple hair, maximum bust or bum sizes no bigger than a pimple or nonhetero romance options (default off).

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd appreciate a "Modern Audience" tickbox at the beginning of the game that you have to check if you want TOP scars, purple hair, maximum bust or bum sizes no bigger than a pimple or nonhetero romance options (default off).
The telemetry data might later show bosses that the cost of implementing these features was not worth it at all and that would be bad fod ESG. Then again, they likely already know that but the ESG investments outweigh the cost of the bloating of the character editor with these options.

Just for trolling purposes, I'd love to see a simple poll on the game's reddit regarding who used them, although if it gets viral it will likely be manipulated.

What I'd like is a "sexual orientation" setting in the character creator. Give it as many options as you want: hetero, homo, bi, omni, poly, pan, whatever. But, and this is key, the game respects your orientation. So if you play a heterosexual character, no gay companion romances. Simple.

Elttharion

Learned
You cant have that if there isnt sex/gender in the game. 'My body type 1 character only wants to romance body type 2 npcs'.

Yosharian

Arcane
What I'd like is a "sexual orientation" setting in the character creator. Give it as many options as you want: hetero, homo, bi, omni, poly, pan, whatever. But, and this is key, the game respects your orientation. So if you play a heterosexual character, no gay companion romances. Simple.
But how would the developers get to force their ideology on you, then? That's the whole point

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
As a very arachnophobic person - can confirm computer game spiders do absolutely nothing for me and also think its attention seeking dumb. No one is skilled enough to model or animate a spider that's in any way actually like a spider.
I also can't fucking stand spiders, I'm like a giant pussy every time I see one that's even remotely big. They give me the fucking jitters so bad.

Also never had a problem ever with spiders in-game, sure I don't like looking at them or anything, but enough to turn off the game? For fuck's sake that's absurd.
Have you tried VR? Just curious.
I have acrophobia (the fear of heights), and regular games obviously don't trigger it.
VR games do, but to a much lesser extent than real world.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I wish dragon age had a mine full of spiders and you would gradually train them to obey you and later send them to missions for pest control and use the rewards from the grateful people to buy armor and weapons for your spider army.

wf4tD7Z.jpeg

Stokowski

Arcane
Fuck off with these fake news you spider shill!
For testing purposes I left a few spiders in my home go about their business waiting to see if they catch any mosquitoes or ants or hell, whatever. Especially during the summer.
They caught nothing. Each sitting in their own little corner, week after week, looking dumb. I even went so far as to "push" a mosquito that landed nearby a spider web directly into it. And got stuck in it. Or so I thought. And then I left, planning to come back after 10 minutes or so to see if anything happened. I came back and I saw the mosquito freed itself and sat next to the web, the spider still in the same position as before, looking stupid. I was in shock.
Or I just got extremely lucky and only interacted with the stupidest specimens of their respective species. Which would explain at least a recent event where after spraying a cockroach he kept running into the wall exactly like a bugged NPC you see in a shitesda game, like he couldn't pathfind his way around the wall. Pretty funny.
I could be working with the low IQ niggers of the species.

Y'all need some of them, uh, radioactive spiders. That'd do the trick.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

wf4tD7Z.jpeg
Needs a "hello, fellow two-legged people" somewhere.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Arachnophobia isn't a rational fear you fucking moron. That's literally in the definition of phobia:

A phobia is an anxiety disorder, defined by an irrational, unrealistic, persistent and excessive fear of an object or situation.

"LOL BUT SPIDERS ARE GOOD FOR YOUR HOUSE" You don't fucking say! Thanks for solving my issue Captain Obvious!
spider-insects.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom