Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I made some enchantments
mkOwLIT.png

BYt6BFT.jpeg

DKunit

Novice
500 pages about a game and no one has discussed the game mechanics yet.
Watered-down nuGod of War combat with companions that might as well not even be there(They have no health bars and are barely targeted by enemies. They basically only serve to fire off skills.)

There. That's the gameplay.

countrydoctor

Novice
What's there to discuss, though? Primers and detonators from ME plus 3 active skills and two base movesets, meaning you go through the same flowchart for 50 hours straight.

They didn't even give you a second set of 3 skills for your second weapon for fuck's sake. This is awful.

Semiurge

Cipher
Watered-down nuGod of War combat with companions that might as well not even be there(They have no health bars and are barely targeted by enemies. They basically only serve to fire off skills.)

There. That's the gameplay.

Complete with a neon lightshow that makes everyone and everything look like they're casting magic, and you can't see shit because of it.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
What's there to discuss, though? Primers and detonators from ME plus 3 active skills and two base movesets, meaning you go through the same flowchart for 50 hours straight.

They didn't even give you a second set of 3 skills for your second weapon for fuck's sake. This is awful.

They apparently removed greatswords. Too phallic. Can't have any of that.

Rieser

Scholar

I did, a bit. I'll say more, if you have questions.

I've had the unfortunate task of reviewing this game and just finished. I know you're all making fun of this turd, but it's worse than you think. First off, regarding all the woke shit - there's a lot. Believe you me, there is a fucking lot. I mean, the central personal development of Taash is that she is a woman who wants to be a man (so the opposite of what Cael guessed last page), which is probably also why they designed her to look like one. In the spoilers below is a pic from a fairly early conversation (in case there are actually self-harming people among you intending to play this and don't want to be spoiled) where Taash is talking about how she wants to dress like a man, that she hates dresses, that no one wants to be a woman and so on and Neve trying to cheer her up. To be fair, there is actually an option to not sympathize and essentially tell Taash to get her shit together in this convo, though it's inconsequential.

Anyway, point is, it's woke as fuck. Now, that's all well and good but it gets a lot worse because regardless of political and ideological agendas, if we're looking at this game from a purely mechanical perspective it still reeks. I can't give you an example of a single mechanic I enjoyed. The "crafting" is laughable, itemization is horrible, character builds and progression are meaningless and the combat is the worst offender. It's beyond simplistic with every class and sub-class feeling largely the same. The enemies all feel the same too and the only difficulty the game provides stems from enemies having an absurd amount of health making a lot of fights a real slog. New enemies appear out of nowhere, attacking you in waves. You may think you're going up against three darkspawn, but nah, have fun grinding down these six waves of teleporting cunts that'll never kill you but take ten minutes to finish off.

The absolute worst part of combat is the way the "party" works. You don't have a party, not really. Mechanically, it works like a retarded card deck builder. You see, your two companions are immortal (they have no health bars) and aren't targeted nearly as much by enemies in battles like yourself - they're mostly ignored and do little damage besides. Instead, they only serve one real purpose in battles: for you to use their abilities. They can have three equipped at a time (as can you), and these ability cards are the only stuff that does any significant damage. You're supposed to figure out combos, but there's nothing to figure out. Use ability X to give an enemy the effect Y, then use ability Z that does extra damage against enemies affected by Y. It's banal at best. Moreover, all these abilities come with a cooldown - a cooldown they fucking share, meaning once you use one all three go on cooldown (there's a few exceptions to this) - which means you'll spend most of your time simply auto-attacking and dodging enemies whilst waiting for the cooldown to end.

I could go on and on and on, but I won't (I've an actual review to make before the embargo lifts). This game is an utter mess and anyone giving it a positive review can never be taken seriously again.

1149608e471edfdde44767d9b66419ea.jpg

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

I did, a bit. I'll say more, if you have questions.

I've had the unfortunate task of reviewing this game and just finished. I know you're all making fun of this turd, but it's worse than you think. First off, regarding all the woke shit - there's a lot. Believe you me, there is a fucking lot. I mean, the central personal development of Taash is that she is a woman who wants to be a man (so the opposite of what Cael guessed last page), which is probably also why they designed her to look like one. In the spoilers below is a pic from a fairly early conversation (in case there are actually self-harming people among you intending to play this and don't want to be spoiled) where Taash is talking about how she wants to dress like a man, that she hates dresses, that no one wants to be a woman and so on and Neve trying to cheer her up. To be fair, there is actually an option to not sympathize and essentially tell Taash to get her shit together in this convo, though it's inconsequential.

Anyway, point is, it's woke as fuck. Now, that's all well and good but it gets a lot worse because regardless of political and ideological agendas, if we're looking at this game from a purely mechanical perspective it still reeks. I can't give you an example of a single mechanic I enjoyed. The "crafting" is laughable, itemization is horrible, character builds and progression are meaningless and the combat is the worst offender. It's beyond simplistic with every class and sub-class feeling largely the same. The enemies all feel the same too and the only difficulty the game provides stems from enemies having an absurd amount of health making a lot of fights a real slog. New enemies appear out of nowhere, attacking you in waves. You may think you're going up against three darkspawn, but nah, have fun grinding down these six waves of teleporting cunts that'll never kill you but take ten minutes to finish off.

The absolute worst part of combat is the way the "party" works. You don't have a party, not really. Mechanically, it works like a retarded card deck builder. You see, your two companions are immortal (they have no health bars) and aren't targeted nearly as much by enemies in battles like yourself - they're mostly ignored and do little damage besides. Instead, they only serve one real purpose in battles: for you to use their abilities. They can have three equipped at a time (as can you), and these ability cards are the only stuff that does any significant damage. You're supposed to figure out combos, but there's nothing to figure out. Use ability X to give an enemy the effect Y, then use ability Z that does extra damage against enemies affected by Y. It's banal at best. Moreover, all these abilities come with a cooldown - a cooldown they fucking share, meaning once you use one all three go on cooldown (there's a few exceptions to this) - which means you'll spend most of your time simply auto-attacking and dodging enemies whilst waiting for the cooldown to end.

I could go on and on and on, but I won't (I've an actual review to make before the embargo lifts). This game is an utter mess and anyone giving it a positive review can never be taken seriously again.

1149608e471edfdde44767d9b66419ea.jpg

Where's your review? Link please?

MasPingon

Arcane
Watching reviews. Those insidious, sick fucks actually made identity politics and gender studies teaching module disguised as a game for children. Watch skill up review where he talks about how protagonist speaks to his teammates like he speaks to toddlers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom