Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest XI

Twizman

Scholar
Still looking for any information on the balance of draconian mode difficulty/challenge options. I'll be rolling from the start with: stronger monsters, no running from battles, reduced exp from weaker enemies.

Last edited:

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bought it on GMG, the minimal config was lower than I expected, and my computer can run the few Unreal 4 games I own.
(Plus I bought at their release and enjoyed every mainline DQ games and handheld remakes since the first appearance of the series in Europe with 8 :M)

I have been playing the earlier games with an emulator. Any suggestions for a filter that feels authentic? The TV filter doesn't feel like it at all!

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm awaiting my GMG key. Ordered it several months ago for 30 quid. No key yet. I knew it was going to have Denuvo, but my hopes for modded orchestrated soundtrack is what made me go PC. I hope Denuvo doesn't crush that possibility. This is a big decision for me, it will be my first Denuvo game.

I only have one request for all DQ bros. When we discuss the game, don't spoil stuff for each other.

I read that there's an extra post game dungeon if you choose to play on hard? I think that I will start on hard. Don't know what Draconian challenges I will pick.

Curratum

I think I will go with normal, playing for about 1.5 hours each day, late into the night when I'm already pretty tired, and I was never particularly hot with strategic choices and builds in JRPGs. :L

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I've got a feeling that Normal is just going to be piss easy and unsatisfying. It's not like Dragon's Quest was ever a hard series to begin with. Most likely this is a common case of Hard = Normal and Normal = turn your brain off and enjoy the story.

I'm awaiting my GMG key. Ordered it several months ago for 30 quid. No key yet. I knew it was going to have Denuvo, but my hopes for modded orchestrated soundtrack is what made me go PC. I hope Denuvo doesn't crush that possibility. This is a big decision for me, it will be my first Denuvo game.

I only have one request for all DQ bros. When we discuss the game, don't spoil stuff for each other.

I read that there's an extra post game dungeon if you choose to play on hard? I think that I will start on hard. Don't know what Draconian challenges I will pick.
FFXV can be modded and it has denuvo. I'm pretty sure its fine as denuvo is typically implemented as an online certification process that happens every week to month to make sure you have a proper copy.

Definitely play it on hard.

For that sweet post-game content.

I've been playing through DQ2 as I've never really played it and it is almost never on the list for best dragon quest games. I recently beat DQ1 on android and it was a pretty bad way to play the game. Now I'm playing the Super Famicom version and was wondering if anybody has a recommendation on a filter? I've been using hqx3 like I do with DOS games but is there a better one? Many of the other filters distort the pixels with the smoothing process that makes your main look mad or a racist caricature....

Last edited:

Dedup

Augur
Personally I prefer scanline filters. It depends on the emulator though as some of them have crappy scanline filters that make things either too dark or just plain ugly. I like the one in the Retroarch emulator though.

Personally I prefer scanline filters. It depends on the emulator though as some of them have crappy scanline filters that make things either too dark or just plain ugly. I like the one in the Retroarch emulator though.

For Retroarch, I specifically recommend the GTU-v50 shader. It's in the CRT folder. It has soft scanlines, de-dithering and looks pretty close to what a good tube TV would look like, just soft enough.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
there is post-game content locked behind a difficulty selection made 80 hours prior?

what?

Git gud

Do you have a script that automatically posts "git gud" when seeing a post about difficulty? Or are you just retarded? I generally play games on the hardest available setting, so nice projection on your part, I guess.

I want clarification since this is the first place I have seen this mentioned, and searching the web gives no results except people talking about difficulty options, nothing is sad about post-game content only appearing by playing on hard. I know people that will probably play on normal and if it is true they will miss out on stuff by doing that I want to let them know..
Definitely play it on hard:
For that sweet post-game content.

For Retroarch, I specifically recommend the GTU-v50 shader. It's in the CRT folder. It has soft scanlines, de-dithering and looks pretty close to what a good tube TV would look like, just soft enough.

Thanks for the info. The GTU-v50 is great. Colors are correct and there doesn't seem to be any terrible distortions some of the others have. Ever used the hyllian glow filter? It looks like oblivion's bloom has infected all games before it.

Do you have a script that automatically posts "git gud" when seeing a post about difficulty? Or are you just retarded? I generally play games on the hardest available setting, so nice projection on your part, I guess.

I want clarification since this is the first place I have seen this mentioned, and searching the web gives no results except people talking about difficulty options, nothing is sad about post-game content only appearing by playing on hard. I know people that will probably play on normal and if it is true they will miss out on stuff by doing that I want to let them know..

So it wasn't really to challenge your ability. It is just a shitpost! If you play on the hardest difficulty in all games why would you care if there is post game content barred only to those who don't play on hard? These hypothetical people seem quite false as there is no one on the codex with real friends.
Really I think the difficulty is a lazy hp bloat but I'm not sure...

aweigh has said above that a post-game dungeon is available if you beat the game on hard. Seems like something he had heard/seen on the IGN Gamescom livestream.

system requirements will be exactly the same as the ones for any game released in the last 3 years or so... don't know why people even ask about things like this.

EDIT: BY THE WAY apparently they added a completely new post-game dungeon only accessible in the new Hard mode!

EDIT 2x:
dq11.png

EDIT 3x:

They also added a passive first-person view for western release (you can't move only look), and more importantly: they added a sprint move when on-foot (previously you could only sprint when on horseback).

Looks like japs really did play the beta version.

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
boilerplate review

Where does Dragon Quest 11 fit into the series, and the wider JRPG genre as a whole? Especially since so many great examples of the genre (Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Ni no Kuni 2, Octopath Traveler) have been released in the past 12 months? Well, the answer to that is as plain as the number sitting at the bottom of this review.

Dragon Quest 11 is not only the best game in this three-plus decade old series, but one of the very best JRPGs I have ever played, putting it right next to such genre stalwarts as Chrono Trigger and Phantasy Star 4.

With its modern accoutrements, slick design, heartfelt storyline, lovable party members, long (100+ hours) quest, and ridiculously impressive character animations, I can’t imagine anyone who loves JRPGs not completely adoring this game to the point of mental illness.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to write up some Jade and Sylvando fanfiction.

The Verdict: 10

The Good:

• Classic DQ combat that is as fast as it is addicting
  • Massive world with a 100+ hour main quest
  • Best storyline of the entire series
  • Easily one of the strongest and most lovable casts of any JRPG
The Bad:

• Some may miss the old class change/Dharma Temple/Alltrade Abbey system
https://nichegamer.com/reviews/dragon-quest-11-review/

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
So it wasn't really to challenge your ability. It is just a shitpost! If you play on the hardest difficulty in all games why would you care if there is post game content barred only to those who don't play on hard? These hypothetical people seem quite false as there is no one on the codex with real friends.
Really I think the difficulty is a lazy hp bloat but I'm not sure...

aweigh has said above that a post-game dungeon is available if you beat the game on hard. Seems like something he had heard/seen on the IGN Gamescom livestream.

and on the video he showed an image of it doesn't say that at all, and if you search for that information you can't find it and literally the only place it has been said is here by aweigh

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Jenkem

Time-stamped to when they say they added the post-game dungeon, however I misunderstood:

- They list the things they added and emphasize the difficulty, and then they finish that note by saying that they also added a new challenge for veteran players in the form of a new dungeon.

They never explicitly say that it has to be in the new harder difficulty however. The wording wasn't clear because it's through a translator, but I imagine it's safe enough to assume the new dungeon will probably be accessible on both difficulties.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Key just came through for me from GMG. Damn you lot for getting me hyped for another JRPG! That TB combat looks so good though.

Preload underway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom