Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

deuxhero

Arcane
I'm pretty sure that holding onto a monster while you fall off the ledge just doesn't apply fall damage because you never enter the falling state. I, among many others, have rode the Ogre down the Everfall shaft, the highest drop in the game to my memory, and taken no damage.

I suspect that, if you actually took damage, he hit a rim and died from that (or flung you off), then you took damage from falling the rest of the way.

The possibility to ride that ogre to his death though, is pretty awesome and entirely unscripted, something game mechanics get points for allowing (a less competent game might make you get stuck there because of a door you had to open from the other side, but DD doesn't)

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
Tried riding the Ogre off the Everfall ledge once, the bastard offed himself with a flying kick before I could grab him. Now I just kill him the normal way. And I got to say, stun locking an Ogre to death using Lassissitude is really, really satisfying.

Curious thing. In the path between the Windtorn Valley and the Hillfigure Knoll there's a Cyclops that sometimes walks north for a while and then jumps off the cliff. I call him the Depressed Muffin.

Daimon

Novice
So much death in BBI. The lore is great though, but seriously, all those bodies must stink up the place.

Also, my pawns are awesomely murderous today. Poor cockatrice never stood a chance. Giant Eye didn't either. The Bishop survived, but I'll get him soon enough. I've played BBI enough to know I will. Though he is annoying.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
So much death in BBI. The lore is great though, but seriously, all those bodies must stink up the place.

Also, my pawns are awesomely murderous today. Poor cockatrice never stood a chance. Giant Eye didn't either. The Bishop survived, but I'll get him soon enough. I've played BBI enough to know I will. Though he is annoying.

Have you played as a Magick Archer?

Ebonsword

Arcane

I have. And, yeah, the Bishop went down like a chump. I seem to remember the dragon that's with him being very weak to holy attacks. Or was it electricity? Either way, my MA just crushed them.

DragoFireheart

I have. And, yeah, the Bishop went down like a chump. I seem to remember the dragon that's with him being very weak to holy attacks. Or was it electricity? Either way, my MA just crushed them.

The Bishop is weak to Dark attacks.

Delterius

Arcane
Well, all these game companies should find an outlet for their stupidity. You know, instead of losing money on every front they should focus on just losing all the money avaiable on Steam et al while still releasing a great game on consoles. Though I sure wish there was a PC release a year ago.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to this game. Maybe it's because I'm playing as a dedicated spellcaster, which makes combat relatively dull (press button and wait 30 seconds for a spell to cast, while your party does all sorts of exciting shit), but I can't imagine myself enjoying melee with such a crappy framerate either.

Dungeons are thus far rather boring, they're basically mostly linear corridors with monsters, with barely any environmental interactivity. One exception thus far was the Watergod Altar, but it was still very basic. Bluemoon Tower was a cool location, because it made use of the mobility the game affords you, with treasure hidden on various ledges and towers, but it concluded with a stupid, scripted Griffin battle.

At this point I'm not particularly compelled to continue playing. I especially dread the tedious and time consuming inventory management, which in the end is absolutely useless, I have a potion for every fucking status effect imaginable, but the only thing I've ever been affected with was burning. Do all the status removers actually become useful at some point? It seems like the game would like to make preparation a major thing, but I've yet to see any content that would support it.

Delterius

Arcane
At this point I'm not particularly compelled to continue playing. I especially dread the tedious and time consuming inventory management, which in the end is absolutely useless, I have a potion for every fucking status effect imaginable, but the only thing I've ever been affected with was burning. Do all the status removers actually become useful at some point? It seems like the game would like to make preparation a major thing, but I've yet to see any content that would support it.

Only status effect you need to ward yourself against, really, is petrification. Since curing it is time sensitive. As far as other things are concerned, Mages' Halidom can be trusted to heal it.

Ebonsword

Arcane
I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to this game. Maybe it's because I'm playing as a dedicated spellcaster, which makes combat relatively dull (press button and wait 30 seconds for a spell to cast, while your party does all sorts of exciting shit), but I can't imagine myself enjoying melee with such a crappy framerate either.

Things will become a lot more interesting for your spellcaster when the hellhounds show up and start dragging you around like a chew toy.

Delterius

Arcane

Things will become a lot more interesting for your spellcaster when the hellhounds show up and start dragging you around like a chew toy.
Exploit corners and pre-cast Gicel, perhaps even manually aiming it. Or cast Lassissitude directly in front of you so that they are hit by it the moment they try and charge you.

An alternative is spamming Charged Bolt + Holy Affinity. Holy Affinity is the Awesome Button.

But its true, spellcasters can exploit terrain in such ways that most creatures won't ever be a problem. BBI included. I don't know wether to feel great about the freedom the game gives you or bad for breaking the game.

For what it's worth, I enjoy melee a lot despite the 30 FPS. Vocations like Assassin and Mystic Knight, many of whose skills rely on semi-precise timing, still handle well enough. I'd encourage you to try either Mystic Knight or Magic Archer...they have a lot more "play" to them, especially the Knight. If you don't mind having mismatched stats, you could go Assassin, though since you've leveled up in magic-based vocations, your physical strength and defenses might be a tad low. But optimized stats don't really matter for anything much besides having your pawn rented by others more often or challenging the "online" version of the secret boss.

While playing as a Sorcerer in Dragon's Dogma is probably the most satisfying representation of magic in an action-RPG, I think vocations with melee applications (beyond whipping enemies with Brontide) have a lot meatier gameplay, especially if you don't know the ins-and-outs of how pawns work or lack access to well-built ones. A lot of the fun of being a Sorcerer is rolling with an expertly-trained Sorcerer pawn (or two) and spell-syncing some high archmagicks while a competent Fighter/Warrior/Strider (pair) draw the enemies away.

In general, the game somewhat encourages vocation switching, so there isn't any penalty to feeling out what playstyle you like.

Dungeons are thus far rather boring, they're basically mostly linear corridors with monsters, with barely any environmental interactivity.

Yeah, dungeons are more or less places to go and fight monsters, with most everything in the dungeon built around the combat. The Witchwood bog is tailored to it's occupant(s), Soulflayer Canyon is mostly all about the perilous heights, and the Ancient Quarry is pretty much geared to help lower level players fight the Ogres within (narrow corridors for magical bolts with lightning enchantment or Ricochet Bolts from a spellbow, copious amounts of combinable resources for Poison/Oil Arrows, plenty of explosive barrels to use on the baddies, etc).

It's a combat-centric game, of that there is no doubt. It's not really Ultima Underworld. I don't think dungeons compare too poorly to something like, say, Risen.

but it concluded with a stupid, scripted Griffin battle.

I kind of liked the scripted sequence before the Griffin fight. Mostly because the game uses them extremely sparingly (there's only one other battle that has some scripted set-pieces preceding it...wanna guess who it is?) and how open the combat system generally is. I didn't mind a little bit of railroading for the sake of spectacle and buildup because I knew that in any given fight I'd have a bevy of ways to take down any monster, so being pigeonholed for a bit wasn't too disconcerting.

Plus, that entire sequence is "punishment" for failing to kill it outside of Gran Soren, so it isn't even mandatory.

Do all the status removers actually become useful at some point? It seems like the game would like to make preparation a major thing, but I've yet to see any content that would support it.

Nah. A lot of the status ailments are exceedingly rare and many of the curatives are there for completions sake or for supporting the combination mechanics. There's scant few enemies that inflict tarring, curse, lowered statistics, and freezing solid. The last one can be negated by stick-waggling that becomes ever more trivial the bigger/stronger your Arisen's body is. Basically, carry a little Nightcry/Mithridae, some Secret Softener/Cockatrice Liquor (petrification), a Nostalgia Dust (possession of a pawn), and Panaceas or Sobering Wine in addition to health/stamina restoratives. That's mostly all you need for the curative tab.

The rest of the inventory depends upon vocation. Non-magical classes might benefit from magick jewels, grimoires, and cameos to have spell-releasing consumables. Vocations that use mundane bows have a bevy of special arrows they will likely want many of. All vocations can benefit from Periapts to significantly boost statistics for a time. Amassing a good deal of materials/rarities from defeated foes or the land is helpful when enhancing things, although those goods will quickly be sent to item storage and therefore won't spend much time in your inventory.

And it may be beneficial to carry multiple types of one weapon/armor class if they have significantly different effects. Permanently enchanted weapons are the foremost example, but Level 3 Rusted/Anneled/Golden Weapons can be helpful for dishing out debilitating effects on hit in exchange for lower damage.

Basically, don't worry too much about going full pack-rat; this isn't Gothic, a D&D game, or whatnot. Items aren't that big a deal and mostly aren't worth wasting time fretting over.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Thanks for taking the time to reply Edward, you are, as always, an esteemed gentleman of exquisite taste.

For what it's worth, I enjoy melee a lot despite the 30 FPS. Vocations like Assassin and Mystic Knight, many of whose skills rely on semi-precise timing, still handle well enough. I'd encourage you to try either Mystic Knight or Magic Archer...they have a lot more "play" to them, especially the Knight. If you don't mind having mismatched stats, you could go Assassin, though since you've leveled up in magic-based vocations, your physical strength and defenses might be a tad low. But optimized stats don't really matter for anything much besides having your pawn rented by others more often or challenging the "online" version of the secret boss.

While playing as a Sorcerer in Dragon's Dogma is probably the most satisfying representation of magic in an action-RPG, I think vocations with melee applications (beyond whipping enemies with Brontide) have a lot meatier gameplay, especially if you don't know the ins-and-outs of how pawns work or lack access to well-built ones. A lot of the fun of being a Sorcerer is rolling with an expertly-trained Sorcerer pawn (or two) and spell-syncing some high archmagicks while a competent Fighter/Warrior/Strider (pair) draw the enemies away.

In general, the game somewhat encourages vocation switching, so there isn't any penalty to feeling out what playstyle you like.

If it were a stable 30 FPS, I wouldn't complain, but on the PS3 it really isn't. I'm not normally very sensitive to framerate, but drops below 30 bother me a lot in action heavy games, and concurrently playing Shadow Warrior at a constant 60 on my desktop really doesn't help with the comparison.

Still, I'll try switching vocations to see how I like it. Since my main pawn is a fighter, I guess I'll try a Magic Archer, since I can't be bothered to respec and regear two characters, and there'd be some overlap with a Mystic Knight.

Basically, don't worry too much about going full pack-rat; this isn't Gothic, a D&D game, or whatnot. Items aren't that big a deal and mostly aren't worth wasting time fretting over.

The game constantly goes on about adapting the party to the challenge and preparation though, so I expected it to start showering me with status effects at some point. I just fought the Cockatrice in Gran Soren, and that was the first time I actually found effect removers useful.

Here's one game I'd really like to play. Hell, I'd buy a PS3 just for it (and DeS) if I could afford the indulgence, even if it meant putting up with console limitations.

(I'd really detest all the DLC milking and exclusive items though.)

DragoFireheart

Here's one game I'd really like to play. Hell, I'd buy a PS3 just for it (and DeS) if I could afford the indulgence, even if it meant putting up with console limitations.

(I'd really detest all the DLC milking and exclusive items though.)

Thankfully you can ignore the DLC milking. Also, there's some little bits of free DLC content. Finally, none of the DLC is a big deal.

Daimon

Novice
....My head... it's melted.

Has anyone tried to fully understand the plot of Dragon's Dogma? Heck, anyone tried to incorporate the insanity that is Dark Arisen into it?

Here's what I got for Dragon's Dogma original

Cyclic Multiverse. Every Dragon's Dogma game is canon. It's the grand daddy of infinite cycles, the infinite cycle of the lives of the world, the monsters endless spawning from the rift, the Pawns spawning from the rift, the Sensechal/Dragon/Arisen Cycle. The whole thing is this carefully designed cyclic multiverse which is nuts. Then your Arisen, as Sensechal throws a spanner in the works by killing yourself with the godsbane blade, giving your pawn a soul in the process, due to the 'transferal of spirit' which was mention in the Selene quest.

So we have a multiverse that can't technically interact with each other until Dark Arisen messed around with everything by adding Bitterblack Isle

Ashe, an Arisen, cursed out the Cycle right before his epic choice, and thus became the incarnation of destruction, and then was booted to Bitterblack Isle, his own personal hell. However in spite of this, Ashe/Daimon called to the Arisen from across the multiverse, leading them to their deaths. Except for Barroch, who's so badass, Daimon never gets him.

Then our Arisen comes in this cycle to kill/free Ashe/Daimon from his chains of hate, and does so. But then we have... Awakene Daimon. I have no clue. Seriously, Awakened Daimon either was a way to mess with our heads with it's dialogue, or it's sequel bating.

So in recap, Dragon's Dogma is has driven me insane in it's story. Anyone have any question this obiviously deranged soul can answer?

DragoFireheart

Daimon

Daimon part two is speculated to be the spirit of the dragon that Ashe faced before he was transformed. The dragon spirit of course being Grette, his former master, former lover.

Something something refusing choice breaks future cycles something something learn true purpose of cycles something something Dragon's Dogma 2 something something dont fuck it up Crapcom.

toroid

Arcane
After putting in thirty-something hours I have to say that there's a lot to like about this. The more I play and become accustomed to the quirks the more I like it. Well, except for a couple superquirks that kinda ruin everything.

First, holy shit, I want to find the person responsible for designing the loot system and stun-gun him directly in his ballsack until the battery dies. After I win a fight and want to pick up the dropped loot afterwards I get so fucking frustrated because some loot becomes invisible apparently. I look around for it and sometimes do not see anything, but if I start to wander around the area where the fight took place and watch the lower-right part of the screen where the tool tip appears to inform you that you can pick up loot then I can see there's something to pick up. I fucking swear that there is nothing on the ground there, though. This almost makes the game unplayable for me. The fuck is wrong with just looting corpses? (Yeah I assume it has something to do with trash collection to improve performance.) They should have at least made a more visible kind of thing to catch your attention like that console blinky-glowsparkle shit that I usually hate, or made loot be auto-collected upon enemy death. Is it worth using a pawn with the "Acquisitor" inclination to keep my sanity and make sure I don't miss something valuable?

Second, the item combination system is totally backwards and frustrating. I should be able to pick what I want to create from a list and the game should show me what items are required and if I have them in inventory (if I've already learned the recipe). In fact the entire inventory system is a bit fubar'd in the way that your characters' inventories and storage are separated from one another and make separate systems that you have to waste time dealing with. Is there something I'm missing that could help to make inventory management less of a hassle?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
After I win a fight and want to pick up the dropped loot afterwards I get so fucking frustrated because some loot becomes invisible apparently. I look around for it and sometimes do not see anything, but if I start to wander around the area where the fight took place and watch the lower-right part of the screen where the tool tip appears to inform you that you can pick up loot then I can see there's something to pick up. I fucking swear that there is nothing on the ground there, though. This almost makes the game unplayable for me. The fuck is wrong with just looting corpses? (Yeah I assume it has something to do with trash collection to improve performance.) They should have at least made a more visible kind of thing to catch your attention like that console blinky-glowsparkle shit that I usually hate, or made loot be auto-collected upon enemy death. Is it worth using a pawn with the "Acquisitor" inclination to keep my sanity and make sure I don't miss something valuable?
i've replayed the game countless times and have never once encountered invisible loot. the only things that could possibly look invisible is stuff dropped inside the model of a big corpse like drakes or medals from golems that are flat and small and easy to miss... possibly ores too since they have a tendency to roll away into some weird corners.
Second, the item combination system is totally backwards and frustrating. I should be able to pick what I want to create from a list and the game should show me what items are required and if I have them in inventory (if I've already learned the recipe).
that would require an additional item creation interface since you first discover combinations by combining items blindly.
In fact the entire inventory system is a bit fubar'd in the way that your characters' inventories and storage are separated from one another and make separate systems that you have to waste time dealing with.
i found it nice. having to pack light and not pick up every piece of crap along the way or suffer real combat disadvantages on longer tracks was cute.

toroid

Arcane
i've replayed the game countless times and have never once encountered invisible loot.
If you can't see it then how do you know for sure? I'll elaborate. Sometimes when the lighting and/or textures form a highly variegated appearance the dropped loot simply blends into the scene and disappears. There's no way you haven't experienced this. Maybe my eyes are getting old but I certainly have real issues seeing dropped items sometimes and I can't comprehend that others would not perceive the same problem. For example, I was just in Devilfire Grove and during the daytime the combination of the spotty lighting penetrating the trees being projected onto the ground whose texture consists of high contrast cobbled shapes makes seeing dropped items very difficult. I just have to hope I didn't miss anything valuable and keep moving because I could continue searching the area where I killed things for several minutes and continually stumble across dropped loot. Also, the pawns like being faggots by tending to cluster in front of the camera in the area I'm trying to scour for drops and that doesn't help. In dungeons and other indoor areas with more homogeneous lighting and floor textures I have a much much easier time seeing drops.

Anyways... Again, should I bother using a pawn with an Aquisitor inclination or would that be a waste? How well does that usually work?

that would require an additional item creation interface since you first discover combinations by combining items blindly.
Learning recipes through blind experimentation (which I think is pretty cool actually) and then continuing to create items through the same interface mechanism might be "monocled" and "immersive" for some but I think it's inefficient, overly complex, and time consuming. Sue me. An additional "Known Recipes" tab in the combine interface would be great. I'll gradually deal with it as I continue to learn what system works best for me, I guess.

i found it nice. having to pack light and not pick up every piece of crap along the way or suffer real combat disadvantages on longer tracks was cute.
So, you dump absolutely everything that will be used for combining into storage along with all the other stuff you don't need to carry? What I have been doing is keeping one or two of everything that is combinable (except for weapon upgrade materials) with my party at all times because I'm still learning which curatives are really needed and which are not, also because it allows me to combine in the field if the need arises. My current method obviously makes inventory management a pain but it seems logical and somewhat necessary because of my limited knowledge and experience. I can see how moving nearly all items into storage would drastically simplify inventory management, but it also seems like this would mandate visits to the storage interface more often than I'd like and would require more sifting through storage to grab specific curatives to aid in specific planned encounters... and none of my encounters are "planned" in any way so far. I think I'll need much more knowledge about the game before I can successfully travel light all the time. Am I wrong? Please tell me if I am.

I really like the game so far but I could certainly use some advice to help me navigate around this bumpiness I've been experiencing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom