Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

i am playing this while waiting for dark souls 2 and so far i am having a fucking blast. first game where night is dark, intimidating, fucking night and. any build tips? better to play a fighter with mage pawn ? or the other way around?i am not going to play some faggy archer+M

Delterius

Arcane
The one build tip I can give you is not to care about that. Building characters in DD means to level one type of class specifically in order to maximize one type of statistic (magic for spellcasters; stamina for archers; hp for fighters; strenght for assassins -- you can find all that here) which is fine in case you actually want to play that class over the game. Not so much if all you want is a high hp mage after 200 levels. Instead just keep switching classes, that way you'll be able to combine many different augments and you'll also get a feel for what are the more interesting attacks your pawn could take.

If you're not going to play an archer you best keep your pawn as such. There's one optional boss that requires archers and pawns are very good at aiming. Do keep in mind that if you like climbing monsters, archers do it best.

Well, finished a playthrough as Mystic Knight sometime ago. Really slick. And overpowered. Probably the easiest way to take on Ogres head on.

Xi

Arcane
The only time where character build matters is after you complete BitterBlack Isle one time. The second form of the end boss is different and more difficult. Having a well built character will make farming up his loot a LOT easier. Hence, you are best off prioritising a main stat, and sticking with a base class till around level 100, then switching to a specialty to maximize the stat you want after level 100.

Also, I would buy this game a second time if they released it on PC. This and Demon/Dark Souls were fantastic console games this gen.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
xVwk9el.png

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
I went out and bought this shit. It better be good muthafuckas.
Xbox or PS?
If Xbox I'll take your pawn around and get your mad rift crystals. I can't stop chasing the dragon, man. I need a hit.

Anybody else need some rift crystals? If I'm going to be smoking crack playing DD as much as I seem to I might as well make some of you degenerates happy. And in return maybe you'll let me pimp my ho out to you?

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
I bought DD knowing full well that I was unlikely to get much out of it but I pulled the trigger anyway based on the fact that the praise was so effusive and ubiquitous (I don't mean on here). As the quip goes, "I know me"

Even beyond my personal reservations though, I couldn't figure out what distinguishes the game enough to merit such hype.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
open world, emergent gameplay thanks to varied terrain and the ability to climb on your enemies, enemies with weak spots, pretty damn awesome magic, surprising amount of c&c for a jrpg thanks to being able to keep quest items for yourself or even better make forgeries and turn those in and so on.
it's simply fun.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
PS has jRPGs, whle Xbawks has only sports, racing and popamole, thus PS is the :obviously: console fag choice.

On an unrelated note, what's the codex consensus on Resonance Of Fate ? It has some remarkably high prices in the net (about 35 euros new, probably because it's pretty old) but I found it used for 18 euros.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
On an unrelated note, what's the codex consensus on Resonance Of Fate ? It has some remarkably high prices in the net (about 35 euros new, probably because it's pretty old) but I found it used for 18 euros.
it's weird and takes some getting used to both in terms of the weird mixture of mechanics as well as setting/mood, but is pretty neat if you can stomach the weirdness. does have some annoying things, though, like having to run in combat mode through dungeon rooms you already cleared.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
PS has jRPGs, whle Xbawks has only sports, racing and popamole, thus PS is the :obviously: console fag choice.
Xbox has Risen 1, and initially Mass Effect was Xbox exclusive, which the release of, incidentally, coincided with my Xbox purchase.
Funny that

And I was over jRPGs by the middle of the PS1 cycle. I just can't do that shit anymore.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
open world, emergent gameplay thanks to varied terrain and the ability to climb on your enemies, enemies with weak spots, pretty damn awesome magic, surprising amount of c&c for a jrpg thanks to being able to keep quest items for yourself or even better make forgeries and turn those in and so on.
it's simply fun.

Well, I guess lobbing opinions back and forth is kind of pointless. You close with "its simply fun" and I counter with "I didn't find it fun".

Ninjerk

Arcane
it's simply fun.

Well, I guess lobbing opinions back and forth is kind of pointless. You close with "its simply fun" and I counter with "I didn't find it fun".
The difference is he gave you a list of features that made it fun for him. You said you knew you'd be disappointed and bought it anyways and were still disappointed. Why was it not fun?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
There is no difference.
sure. 'cos that's the only thing in my post and it's not like this thread has some examples of simple emergent stuff, especially the combination of terrain and climbing (or being gripped by) monsters that i mentioned...

MrMarbles

Cipher
Emergence aside this game just has great atmosphere. You really remember poking around a corner for the first time and seeing an Eliminator spray your pawns up the walls with a single hammerswing.

Wish it qualified as a crpg, would have tossed it a few points in Felipepepepepepe's top 50 poll.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Finished it. but that final area really wore me out, the everfall. maybe i just got too wrapped up in trying to grind for materials and get all my gear leveled out, but i couldn't get up the gumption to play the dlc island. prolly go back to it during summer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom