Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Finished it. but that final area really wore me out, the everfall. maybe i just got too wrapped up in trying to grind for materials and get all my gear leveled out, but i couldn't get up the gumption to play the dlc island. prolly go back to it during summer.

PLEASE go play the DLC. Don't grind for shit in Everfall.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
The difference is he gave you a list of features that made it fun for him.

There is no difference. Things like "emergent gameplay" are way too conceptual for me.

Vying for that "dumbfuck" tag early, I see.
:troll:

Emergence aside this game just has great atmosphere. You really remember poking around a corner for the first time and seeing an Eliminator spray your pawns up the walls with a single hammerswing.
I don't know if "atmosphere" is the word you're looking for. This game's greatest shortcoming is its wishy-washy, Japanese, inconsistent atmosphere. I think it's a combination of the music, the static world, and the gameyness. The world itself contains nothing worth exploring for besides monsters and loot, which is perfectly fine, though it hurts the atmosphere. The side quests have an arcade-like way of resolving with, "here's your exp, here's your gold, here's your loot," the very moment the task is accomplished. The Everfall is a jRPG, lifestream, metaphysical, cocknball mess and I really wish it had been a little more concrete and daunting, like maybe the entire thing resembling The Chamber of Lament that you actually explore instead of base-jump. The stupid smooth jazz played in Cassardis is absolutely ridiculous, yet, once again, an annoying jRPG trope. The score, in general, could use a little stability and focus considering the game seems to be aiming at an OVERTLY medieval motif. Piano, seventh chords, chromatic runs, massive symphonies, and electric guitar have no real place in this game, and yet they're all there. And don't get me started on the jPOP opening in vanilla.
Here, look...

Awesome, but the flute runs and electric guitar make it a bit modern.

Smooth jazz-fusion nonsense that has no place in the game.

Awesomer, but the overwhelming nature of the choir at the end breaks the mood.

New age jazzy crap that doesn't belong. That chromatic run at 0:37 makes me cringe every time I hear it.

Starts off great and creepy, though a little too carnival, but the jazz harmonies from 0:16-0:23 annoy me to no end.

I could post them all and give little examples here and there, but there's a 5 media limit. The whole score is on youtube for your perusal.

Maybe I'm autistic, but to me, the music, while brilliantly composed, just never sets the mood properly. Or maybe I've just developed really western tastes for my scores, because most of stuff we hear in western "medieval" scoring is anachronistic bullshit anyway.

And the haphazard design of Bitterblack Isle was jarring as well. I seem to recall a kitchen in the middle of these hellish areas. Eh, whatever.

But, I'll concede that the overwhelming nature of the battles absolutely makes this game stand out in epicness, even if I don't feel the word "atmosphere" is quite correct.

Wish it qualified as a crpg, would have tossed it a few points in Felipepepepepepe's top 50 poll.
Word, all the points. Despite my tampon-worthy rant above on the atmosphere, the game is still tops.

Finished it. but that final area really wore me out, the everfall. maybe i just got too wrapped up in trying to grind for materials and get all my gear leveled out, but i couldn't get up the gumption to play the dlc island. prolly go back to it during summer.

GO PLAY IT NOW, IS MORE GOODER!!

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
Crack, this game is crack...
and I mean that in a bad way.

Life got really busy lately and I hadn't been able to play in weeks, and the spell was broken. The very idea of playing turns me off now. This game is addictive for the sake of being addictive.

You see, last night I had a bit of free time and decided I would spend it playing a game. Well, I played Drakensang for an hour and then went to bed. It was great. I wish I could be a bit more articulate, but I just woke up and I need to leave for work in a minute.

The bottom line is that I'm thoroughly disgusted with myself for having wasted 6 months and over 100 hours chasing the god damned dragon.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
chasing the god damned dragon.
that's what all games are. why feel bad about dd in particular?
To be fair, it's the quasi multiplayer component that's so addictive, and in the future I want no part of any game with even a hint of that shit. I don't have XBOX gold, but this game didn't require it because it's such an integrated part of the gameplay. It triggered my OCD something fierce.
yo faggs i heard you wanted Dragons Dogma 2
:troll:

go crash into an aids tree and die.

That's a great line. It's Nortonesque but totally original.

Delterius

Arcane
Finally, the wait is over

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ddq/info_end.html

:kwanzania:
khaaaaaan.gif

Martius

Liturgist
Oh right, that card game for ios and vita. I think it was announced last year? Maybe even earlier.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I don't have XBOX gold, but this game didn't require it because it's such an integrated part of the gameplay
WHAT? I expected it to require Gold (and I didn't have it) so I was too lazy to plug in my console to the house network. :x I could've been slaying Chimeras with Codexers the whole time.

Martius

Liturgist

After watching trailer I dont think we are missing much.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
IT ALREADY IS AN iOS GAME!

iOS版スケジュール
・2014年8月26日(火)12:00ごろ 「竜の鼓動」の新規購入停止
・2014年10月14日(火)14:00 iOS版「ドラゴンズドグマ クエスト」サービス終了 ※1
・2014年10月15日(水)9:00 iOS版「ドラゴンズドグマ クエスト」未使用分の「竜の鼓動」の払戻し受付開始(予定) ※2

>> From the website, whatever it means.

:negative::negative:

Ebonsword

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom