Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Will that restore the layered clothing system, the skill system, char creator?
Add female animations and remove the adaptive difficulty cancer?

People claim that Dragon's Dogma is empty? What? Most everywhere, you can scarcely walk 60 seconds without killing something. If there is nothing there, its probably because you killed it. If they put any more monsters in this game you wouldn't walk anywhere or explore so much as you would be wading from trashmob to trashmob like D2.

Dragon's Dogma's monster density and scale are flawless. There is plenty to do and there is always something in view to go seek out and investigate. If someone wants to trip over a monster every step, then just wait for night.

Fargus

Arcane
There is not much of value in the world for exploration, pretty much barren lands with goblins\lizards. The boss fights is where the meat of this game is.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
On top of that, you don't really get rewarded with anything other than XP even if you stumbled upon a boss that's connected to a quest. The quest item won't drop and it'll just respawn when you get the quest.

I was slowly carving my way through random parts of that map before I even went to Gran Soren and it happened to me more than once.

The only time I felt rewarded for exploring was running across a Drake while really low level and spending an hour dealing with my pawns and slowly chipping away at its HP. Then my really shitty gear all got dragon forged lol

So Dragon's Dogma 2 is out. Some wikis are already updated. The casters seem like they lost all of their dark spells. Blearing, Miasma, Petrifaction, Grapnel, Lassitude, Necromancy, Dark Boon, Exequay, and Voidspell all appear to be gone. That's pretty lame. I get a lot of use our of Miasma. I was really hoping they'd improve the others. The concept was there, the implementation was just a bit off. Fulmination seems to have been replaced with a kind of ball lightning. Overall that might be better, but there were uses for having the globe of death aura.

I also see Brontide is gone, which is lame. That's a very cool and fun spell. LIGHTNING WHIP. I'm not sure I care for the change to Comestron to Salamander. Having the ability to create an on-point exploding wall of flame was extremely useful. The little blizzard spell in DD2 does seem like an improvement over Glaciel though, especially since levitating mages can use it to stay airborne. I'm probably going to get lots of mileage out of being able to cast while levitating. The change of Spellscreen into Palladium that block 3 attacks is definitely a positive. The absence of defensive magic in DD1 is a sore spot, and this one should be invaluable.

I guess they wanted all CC to be on the Trickster. Thus far I can't say I'm impressed with the class demonstration. It seems like it will either be totally useless or invaluable, with no middle ground. I'm betting on it being dead weight. Some of the gish classes look like they might before a bit more fun this time around.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Bitterblack Isle's maneaters are an interesting alternative to the time-honored gardinel mimic, which had just been used by Dark Souls anyway.

Maneater.png

I am lvl55, have a L3 meniscus archistaff and can kill drakes without much fuss, but I am still getting filtered by the gazer in BBI. I just can't seem to do enough damage to it. I get it to impale itself, kill the tentacles, strike the spirit bomb thing it summons, but I only ever get it down a couple of health bars. Eventually I slip up and die. I do not know what I am doing wrong. I am reminded of when I tried to take on the ogres in the mines while about level 20.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am lvl55, have a L3 meniscus archistaff and can kill drakes without much fuss, but I am still getting filtered by the gazer in BBI. I just can't seem to do enough damage to it. I get it to impale itself, kill the tentacles, strike the spirit bomb thing it summons, but I only ever get it down a couple of health bars. Eventually I slip up and die. I do not know what I am doing wrong. I am reminded of when I tried to take on the ogres in the mines while about level 20.

Eh...

You're focusing the central eye when it's open? Might be more of a bitch than usual because you're playing sorcerer. If you can't get it, try switching out to an archer or melee class that can cling on. Archer is prob easiest because you don't have to struggle with smacking the eye during its vulnerable phases. I think it might also be more magic resistant than physical, but not sure because I'm not actually sure I've ever fought it as a caster since I don't play those often.

If you want to remain caster to keep your experience pure, try getting pawns to deal with it like a healer mage, a strider and a ranger. Still might be a bit more fucky than just doing it yourself.

I do think its because I am a sorcerer. My best results are from focused holy bolts. I have a sorcerer and mage pawn, which isn't helping much either. Its very difficult to target the central eye while recessed, but I have been able to do it. Just not consistently enough. When the eye is popped out, its very brief and is very resistant to magic. I have thought to try siesem, but its just too slow.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I do think its because I am a sorcerer. My best results are from focused holy bolts. I have a sorcerer and mage pawn, which isn't helping much either. Its very difficult to target the central eye while recessed, but I have been able to do it. Just not consistently enough. When the eye is popped out, its very brief and is very resistant to magic. I have thought to try siesem, but its just too slow.

Yeah, swap your hired guns out for two aggressive archers and see how that goes.

Oh and... uh. Gicel? I think, also does physical damage. The one that spawns all those ice spikes that spear into a thing. If you position correctly (don't want to spoil it for you since you've been giving it a go), you should be able to fire them into his face. Assuming you haven't done this already. Good luck! :salute:

Edit: Actually, I think maybe I did fight it once as a sorc and used that. It was basically my go to for physical damage because although there are a few physical damage component spells, that one aims easiest, can go off fairly quickly, and can hit stuff in the air and can be sent into weak points.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom