Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

MerchantKing

Learned
So far, I'm not too impressed with DD2. The gameplay doesn't feel as good as what I remembered from DD1 and the character creation doesn't let you do as much. I could at least make a midget and be able to access one treasure chest in DD1 that wouldn't be accessible otherwise and it seemed like there were much more options with the character morphing.

As far as the classes are concerned, there doesn't seem to be much new and it feels like we lose out on some flavor with the lack of the paladinesque mystic knight. I liked the idea of buffing it and then having abilities that play off that buffing rather than the mystic spearman which is just a Darth Maul that's not as fun to use.

Even though the Assassin class had a lot in common with Strider, it was its own thing and had more than enough to distinguish itself from it. Having Assassin and Strider able to equip both bows and a melee weapon was great as it gave you options. Whereas here it's artificially split into two classes, one uses bow and the other daggers. But they can't use both. Seems like a downgrade there. And then the Magick Archer would also use both bows and daggers. It just seems like the archer lines were just nerfed down hard in this respect.

The trickster class is fine. But it seems like they could have done better with it than they did.

But at least the populace is more diverse than DD1!

Ezekiel

Arcane
Character creation is shitty anyway. Dumb-dumb Itsuno should have put in a bunch of pre-written and sculpted heroes that you can find in the world and swap in and out of your party, with the ability to play as any of the party members on the fly in battle. All your characters look butt-ugly, because the creation tools were rubbish in 2012 and are rubbish now. They are lifeless and uninteresting. Shells.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The original Dragon's Dogma had an innovative character creation system that depended primarily on the player selecting from a variety of shapes for parts of the face and some other parts of the body, with a few sliders to modify the initial selection. Sadly, this was never imitated by other RPGs. Dragon's Dogma II is a more conventional slider-based approach to character customization, where the only problem is that the choice of a starting face seems to have a substantial effect on appearance, even holding the sliders constant. Still rubbish to suggest that it's impossible to create interesting or good-looking characters.

Ezekiel

Arcane
The original Dragon's Dogma had an innovative character creation system that depended primarily on the player selecting from a variety of shapes for parts of the face and some other parts of the body, with a few sliders to modify the initial selection. Sadly, this was never imitated by other RPGs. Dragon's Dogma II is a more conventional slider-based approach to character customization, where the only problem is that the choice of a starting face seems to have a substantial effect on appearance, even holding the sliders constant. Still rubbish to suggest that it's impossible to create interesting or good-looking characters.
It's impossible. Show me your character and I'll tell you why the proportions are fucked and they're not human. The different features are unable to meld together in a way that makes sense. Any of the protagonists Capcom designs look better and are more fuckable than your DD2 character.

Shinji

Savant
There are many creations shared in the Steam page for the DD2's Character Creator software.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/2674810/screenshots

There are a lot of good-looking characters there.
The bad ones are usually from people that want to create meme characters or lack the patience to make something good.
Hardly a problem with the tool itself.

Old Hans

Arcane
I'm still upset Capcom cancelled Dragon's Dogma Online without even releasing it on the west.
DDO can be played for free in english and in functional online servers with other human players for at least 3 months now

I remember playing the Japanese version and came away thinking it was a crappy version of regular dragon's dogma with lots tacked on MMO garbage grinding

Ezekiel

Arcane
Any of the protagonists Capcom designs look better and are more fuckable than your DD2 character.
Literally not one single Capcom NPC in the game even comes close to the 'better and more fuckable' that you can create in the editor.
Huh? What? I said protagonists. Haven't played DD2, but DD1 had TERRIBLE faces for NPCs. Some of them looked like actual retards.

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

MerchantKing

Learned
Any of the protagonists Capcom designs look better and are more fuckable than your DD2 character.
Literally not one single Capcom NPC in the game even comes close to the 'better and more fuckable' that you can create in the editor.
Huh? What? I said protagonists. Haven't played DD2, but DD1 had TERRIBLE faces for NPCs. Some of them looked like actual retards.

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
That's just what normal Finnish people look like. Stop being racist.

deuxhero

Arcane
Too little, too late. In 10 days it will have been 6 months of being a completely broken game with purposefully kneecapped character creation.

Shinji

Savant
Well, the DLC will surely attract a new wave of people interested in purchasing the game.

Assuming the base game goes on sale prior to the DLC's release, newcomers won't have to deal with bad performance or bugs in general.
This increases the chances they'll purchase the DLC, if they haven't already by then.

Vorark

Erudite
Interesting, it took Itsuno leaving for Capcom to finally address the performance issues. Coincidence?

deuxhero

Arcane
I think it's the fact that Capcom's quarterly comes at the end of the month and Capcom has committed to giving actual sales figures for every title that has sold at least a million is playing a part. Will be very noticeable when your big title's sales have completely flatlined after launch and you can't even claim ignorance when you've done multiple surveys.

somerandomdude

Learned
Interesting, it took Itsuno leaving for Capcom to finally address the performance issues. Coincidence?
I say him leaving is great news. He has shit opinions and a shit attitude. He didn't care for "Bitterback Isle" because he wasn't apart of it, and completely overlooked key aspects of what make the last title great, and instead we got a dungeonless DD2 that doesn't have a modicum of a challenge beyond level 30 something.

They can still salvage DD2, but the game needs performance/optimization fixes, a free update that adds some noteworthy post-game content, and down the road an expansion to the game that's Bitterback Isle-like. With Itsuno gone, all of this is far more likely to happen.

Vorark

Erudite
Kinoshita's still onboard, isn't he? Perhaps he can work his magic once more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom