Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
had the chance to do what he wants
Doubt it. Even the games he did make, full of dumb mandates from above. Capcom is such a boring company.

He left to do what he wants. You took it as the exact opposite of what I meant. :P

MerchantKing

Learned
They did the Khajiit wrong. They're supposed to talk in first person and say "Khajiit has wares if you have the coin."

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
I'm gonna be honest - after the peter molyneux-tier lies during DD2's promotional campaign, DMC4 and DMC5 being unfinished/having mindbogglingly shit characters clogging up the campaign fun, I'm glad he's gone.

This guy has one finished game in his 30 year curriculum - DMC3. That's pretty telling. As long as Ikeno stays around for Dragon's Dogma and DMC, both should be fine.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
peter molyneux-tier lies during DD2's promotional campaign
Such as?

DMC5 being unfinished/having mindbogglingly shit characters
5 is a finnished game and has the best mechanical versions of Dante, Nero and Vergil

This guy has one finished game in his 30 year curriculum - DMC3.
And Rival Schools
And Power Stone
And Darkstalkers Chronicle
And Auto Modellista
And DMC5

As long as Ikeno stays around for Dragon's Dogma and DMC, both should be fine.
What are you talking about?
Daigo Ikeno is just an illustrator, he does nothing regarding game design
His involvement for DD2 consists of just 2 promotional pieces

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
I would say that Kento Kinoshita , director of Dark Arisen and Dragon Dogma Online and lead designer of DD2, staying in Capcom while Itsuno leaves it's kinda of a safe net that guarrantes that Dragon's Dogma still has someone at the helm. Idk about DMC tho.

Sentinel

Arcane
What are you talking about?
Daigo Ikeno is just an illustrator, he does nothing regarding game design
He's responsible for the look of the world and creatures, and the one that held DD1 from going full animeshit like DDO did with alchemist and an even more ridiculous version of magic archer. Read the DD art commentary available with DD1.
Yeah, it shows.
And Rival Schools
And Power Stone
And Darkstalkers Chronicle
And Auto Modellista
All small projects/asset flips of previous projects.
"There's a lot of enemies we haven't shown you"
"We really went all out"
"These physics interactions totally aren't scripted, and there's tons more beside the ogre bridge one!"

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
"There's a lot of enemies we haven't shown you"
The only "lie" that's arguably semi-correct
"We really went all out"
We know very little about the game's development, so we can't make those judgement yet
But they did deliver a better world map and combat with DD2
"These physics interactions totally aren't scripted, and there's tons more beside the ogre bridge one!"
This one is objectively incorrect
The new physics systems are amazing and allow for interactions that just weren't possible in the original
I don't have the time now, but if you want I can post several video footage that proves this

Last edited:

Shinji

Savant
He got a farewell art done by one of the artists (I have no idea what it says)

image.png

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
He got a farewell art done by one of the artists (I have no idea what it says)

image.png

The xitter post it's attached to says this (according to Google translate):

Izuno-san, thank you so much for releasing so many masterpieces to the world at Capcom for so long. And thank you for all your hard work
1f490.svg
✨
. I will continue to love Justice Academy and will continue to support you from behind the scenes!

Ezekiel

Arcane
I would say that Kento Kinoshita , director of Dark Arisen and Dragon Dogma Online and lead designer of DD2, staying in Capcom while Itsuno leaves it's kinda of a safe net that guarrantes that Dragon's Dogma still has someone at the helm. Idk about DMC tho.
Devil May Cry 4 and 5 sucked. Even before he left, I wasn't excited for the series anymore.

Ezekiel

Arcane
DJOGamer PT knows that I have my reasons, but snips most of what I say anyway. Posts 34, 38, 40, 42, 44, and 47. Mediocre series, aside from Devil May Cry 3.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Why, am I going to waste hours of my life writting walls of text, when I can just reply to the most important points in a post to make a valid counter-argument?
Specially considering this is you we are talking about here, why would I ever write dense, detailed paragraphs - going in depth into every enemy, every weapon, every abillity, analysing both the micro and macro aspects of gameplay - when I know, that no matter what I say and how clear and sensible and consistently I say it, you will never concede even a single point
When you dislike something, you will insist your particular justifications why said thing is "bad", no matter how unreasonable they might appear and there's no point arguing with you

But anyway
This thread isn't the place for this discussion
Nor am I in the mood to have it again...

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Here's some totally scripted physics interactions:

(in case it isn't very clear what happened in this last one, the Cyclops tripped on the ice block)

Anonona

Learned
Here's some totally scripted physics interactions:
Sadly I don't have a video, but I can offer an anecdotal example that I experienced to add to the argument. A cyclops grabbed the opposite corner of a small gap just as with bridges. It was a pointless thing, as the height wasn't nearly enough to kill it (I seem to remember it wasn't even enough to incur fall damage on the player), nor it opened new paths, as you could just take a few stepts to the right and circle around it or descend through a small ramp. And actually fuck me a bit over because after killing it it fell down and was obstructing the lower path, making the fight against the saurian below harder due to their numbers and poor mobility because of the cyclops' corpse.

If it was meant to do that like with the bridges, it is fucking weird because it served no real reason to do so, I think Cyclops' AI is just programmed to do that if they fall in a gap short enough for them to grab for dear life.

Also about physics, if you run fast enough or are falling fast before grabbing an enemy it will fall if it has lost its balance without needing to use attacks. And if you drop down from very high heights before grabbing unto an enemy, even healthy ones will lose their footing because of the impact in my experience.

Tehdagah

Arcane
I'm still upset Capcom cancelled Dragon's Dogma Online without even releasing it on the west.

abija

Prophet
I'd be even more impressed if the interactions were scripted... there's so many of them. Just setup a brawl with lower level pawns, harpies and goblins and watch the mayhem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom