Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Look at the animations.
Look at the faces, it's all ESG shit.

Utter degeneracy.

Modron

Arcane
The height thing is a non-issue to me. I've never wanted to play as a midget.
Height had some decent impact in DD1, from accessing constricted spaces, stamina expenditures, knockdown resistance, being able to reach ledges, et cetera. Was an interesting system where there were physical impacts/tradeoffs to being short and tall. Average was the worst of both worlds of course too short to reach ledges and too big to enter some passages.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron

Just another reminder that there's no way a sequel would do the original justice. Just replay Dragon's Dogma and think hard whether a game as good as this could be released in that form in current year. And then think what changes would be likely. Things that will without any doubt be dumbed down in some way or another (excuse if I focus on the obvious stuff here to make my point and keep the post somewhat brief, there'd be more than these):

character creation: no way they'd allow us to choose boob size or attractive female faces/body types, not to mention create lolis, grandmas, manly men or dwarfs. Look at Monster Hunter: World's character creator and how poor that shit is to get an idea of what to expect. Do you think they'll implement consequences for different body sizes/strength like running speed, different encumberance limits or places you can enter only as a child/midget?
layered clothing/armor system: no way they'd give us "clothing" slots on top of the armor slots. They can't even get clipping under control in way more simple armor systems like Monster Hunter. Also there will be no skimpy armors at all anymore. I also doubt the upgrading/dragon forging system will be nearly as satisfying as it is in Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen.
the class and skill system, character customisation: I don't think there will be nearly as many different skills as there were in Dragon's Dogma, and I don't think they'll be nearly as cool as they were, especially talking about stuff like sorcerer spells and movement skills such as levitation. I also don't think there's going to be something like augments, which carry over between vocations etc. Whatever the changes would be here, it would be dumbed down compared DDDA.
combat: I don't think combat will work like it used to, not under the hood, and also not from a gameplay perspective. I think they'll nerve resistances; being unable to hurt an enemy in an action rpg just doesn't fly in current year, which happened frequently in DDDA, simply because you didn't break the resistance barriers of the enemy. I don't think mounting will be the same and probably closer to the shit that's in Monster Hunter, where mounting is a glorified QTE (if it makes it into the game at all).

Jesus, the list goes on and on. I don't think enemy variety will be comparable, even though it felt kinda small in DDDA already. I don't think the world will be as interesting (or more interesting, but in a theme park sense..) with some places only reachable with skills like double vault/levitation, fast travel will be way more easily available, the quest compass will be even worse than it was, probably intruding into the HUD. I don't think there are going to be as many weapons, armors, consumables and materials. I don't think there will be different solutions to some quests or C&C (as basic as most of that was, it made the game better!). Music will be dumbed down etc.

Keep in mind, it's been almost 10 years since Dragon's Dogma's release. Reading the posts of anticipation here almost hurts. If even Codexers haven't learned that a sequel to a game like Dragon's Dogma almost always means decline, especially nowadays, then the state of the gaming industry is really not that surpising anymore.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
The height thing is a non-issue to me. I've never wanted to play as a midget.
Height had some decent impact in DD1, from accessing constricted spaces, stamina expenditures, knockdown resistance, being able to reach ledges, et cetera. Was an interesting system where there were physical impacts/tradeoffs to being short and tall. Average was the worst of both worlds of course too short to reach ledges and too big to enter some passages.
I don't know, a lot of that stuff seemed gimmicky to me. It was cool that it was in the game but it was not the reason for why I loved the original so much.

Self-Ejected
Screenshot_2024-03-08_022929.png

Char gen is way more solid than it was in the first game i managed to recreate myself on it wich is quite a feat!

And the people that say is worse than the first game clearly have no clue what they are talking about lol. But this is the codex is cool to shit in newer stuff for the sake of it.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite

Just another reminder that there's no way a sequel would do the original justice. Just replay Dragon's Dogma and think hard whether a game as good as this could be released in that form in current year. And then think what changes would be likely. Things that will without any doubt be dumbed down in some way or another (excuse if I focus on the obvious stuff here to make my point and keep the post somewhat brief, there'd be more than these):

character creation: no way they'd allow us to choose boob size or attractive female faces/body types, not to mention create lolis, grandmas, manly men or dwarfs. Look at Monster Hunter: World's character creator and how poor that shit is to get an idea of what to expect. Do you think they'll implement consequences for different body sizes/strength like running speed, different encumberance limits or places you can enter only as a child/midget?
layered clothing/armor system: no way they'd give us "clothing" slots on top of the armor slots. They can't even get clipping under control in way more simple armor systems like Monster Hunter. Also there will be no skimpy armors at all anymore. I also doubt the upgrading/dragon forging system will be nearly as satisfying as it is in Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen.
the class and skill system, character customisation: I don't think there will be nearly as many different skills as there were in Dragon's Dogma, and I don't think they'll be nearly as cool as they were, especially talking about stuff like sorcerer spells and movement skills such as levitation. I also don't think there's going to be something like augments, which carry over between vocations etc. Whatever the changes would be here, it would be dumbed down compared DDDA.
combat: I don't think combat will work like it used to, not under the hood, and also not from a gameplay perspective. I think they'll nerve resistances; being unable to hurt an enemy in an action rpg just doesn't fly in current year, which happened frequently in DDDA, simply because you didn't break the resistance barriers of the enemy. I don't think mounting will be the same and probably closer to the shit that's in Monster Hunter, where mounting is a glorified QTE (if it makes it into the game at all).

Jesus, the list goes on and on. I don't think enemy variety will be comparable, even though it felt kinda small in DDDA already. I don't think the world will be as interesting (or more interesting, but in a theme park sense..) with some places only reachable with skills like double vault/levitation, fast travel will be way more easily available, the quest compass will be even worse than it was, probably intruding into the HUD. I don't think there are going to be as many weapons, armors, consumables and materials. I don't think there will be different solutions to some quests or C&C (as basic as most of that was, it made the game better!). Music will be dumbed down etc.

Keep in mind, it's been almost 10 years since Dragon's Dogma's release. Reading the posts of anticipation here almost hurts. If even Codexers haven't learned that a sequel to a game like Dragon's Dogma almost always means decline, especially nowadays, then the state of the gaming industry is really not that surpising anymore.
It's kinda crazy how many of your ''i don't think they gonna include'' points completly missed the mark. Most things from the first game came back. From memory only clothing was removed.

Anonona

Learned
By the way, is there a single vocation that resembles assassin, strider or archer?
I.e. daggers and bow?

Or do we actually have 10 dumbed down vocations with less skills?
Both Archer and Thief have Assassin's skills. You can combine them with Wayfarer to have the same playstyle. You can even thrown in Fighter to be able to use the full arsenal in combat instead of one or the other unlike the first game.

Also, it seems Fighter now gets the Mystic's Knight elemental parry, which was its main feature. They seem to even have some counters that remind me of Assassin when using sword and shield as shown in some of the trailers.

remnants-of-mystic-knight-have-been-found-in-the-fighter-v0-coi7t0hwtwmc1.jpeg

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
Here's a video with each Vocations skill up to level 4/5. Thief got Power Charge , Invisbility and Masterful kill from Assassin. While Archer got Keen Sight from Assassin and Dire Arrow from Ranger.

MerchantKing

Learned

Char gen is way more solid than it was in the first game i managed to recreate myself on it wich is quite a feat!

And the people that say is worse than the first game clearly have no clue what they are talking about lol. But this is the codex is cool to shit in newer stuff for the sake of it.
I doubt you really look like that sir.

Self-Ejected

I doubt you really look like that sir.
You are free to doubt some codexers are blessed or cursed enough to talk with me daily and they know how i look like.

Self-Ejected

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Faces and hairstyles are decent and plenty of sliders for different body parts which I'd probably never use. However, it's really a bummer about the minimum height, wanted to recreate my DD1 loli strider. :(

1709864791513.png

MerchantKing

Learned
I don't have any despite my age.
I can't possibly roll my eyes any harder. It's perfect that you and fork both appeared in the same thread around the same time. Now I can ignore you both. What's that old saying, kill two birds with one stone? Ah yes. Very nice.
You can try to pretend you're a woman all you want dude. It doesn't change the fact that you were born with a Y chromosome and will never be a real woman.

Self-Ejected
I can't possibly roll my eyes any harder. It's perfect that you and fork both appeared in the same thread around the same time. Now I can ignore you both. What's that old saying, kill two birds with one stone? Ah yes. Very nice.
You can try to pretend you're a woman all you want dude. It doesn't change the fact that you were born with a Y chromosome and will never be a real woman.
I know that trannies live rent free in some codexers mind. However we should talk about how good the char creator is rather than indulge in delusions.

Your repressed homosexuality is your own business i suggest to seek a therapist.

ADL

Prophet
What is the state of REngine modding? All I can find are simple value tweaks and model swaps. No major rebalance/overhaul efforts in Monster Hunter Rise, perhaps that's due to online play.

Self-Ejected
What is the state of REngine modding? All I can find are simple value tweaks and model swaps. No major rebalance/overhaul efforts in Monster Hunter Rise, perhaps that's due to online play.
Rise was done using Unreal Engine if i remember correctly. Not Re engine.

Edit: Its Re engine.

MerchantKing

Learned
I know that trannies live rent free in some codexers mind. However we should talk about how good the char creator is rather than indulge in delusions.
So you admit to being a tranny now? Very interesting. We know that if Infinitron started charging to use this site, you would no longer be living rent free in the codex since you'd have to pay to use it. For the time being, trannies such as yourself will be on the codex rent free.
Your repressed homosexuality is your own business i suggest to seek a therapist.
The entire "opponents of X are just repressed X" is ineffective against G-d's chosen people. After all, we invented psychology. It's useful for shutting down the goyim when they start to get too insolent though.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
Eh, am really disappointed by the Muscle category. They are barely visible. On men, or women. This is very bad.

:majordecline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom