Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Dreamboat Dev Team

Howdy

As a Nuovo Maricon I'm not sure if this has ever been asked before but who would make up the Greatest Dev Team of all Time? I'm guessing it would be split between Pre and Post 1998 developers. My personal newfag new team would consist of

Producer: Kevin Saunders
Creative Director: Vince D Weller
Lead game designer: Styg
Lead area designer: George Zeits
Lead art directors: Bischoff Brothers
Narrative Lead: Zeits and Weller (overworked as always)
Music:? (not Morgan)
Lead stretchgoal: Chris Ave... No. Colin McComb
Office Motivator: CLEVE

So what do you think? Missing Lord British?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Isometric artwork: Michael McCarthy. He aced the visuals in ToEE.

duanth123

Arcane
As a Nuovo Maricon I'm not sure if this has ever been asked before but who would make up the Greatest Dev Team of all Time? I'm guessing it would be split between Pre and Post 1998 developers. My personal newfag new team would consist of

dreamboat

Also found in: Idioms, Wikipedia.
dream·boat
(drēm′bōt′)
n.
1. A person considered exceptionally good-looking and sexually attractive.

attachment.php

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space

You need less chiefs and more Indians for any team to work. My team would be headed by Tim Cain and he can hire the people he thinks would be a dynamic and synergistic team without drama or head-butting.

Also, why do people actually care about music in games so much now? Who gives a shit?

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Just combine old school LGS and Black Isle studios, with Interplay sprinkles.

Howdy

Also, why do people actually care about music in games so much now? Who gives a shit?

I personally don't give a shit. But if the proper games are gonna sell you need a percentage of, as you say, "monkey savages" to buy the game. Music helps with pavlovian emotional responses and direction.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

What does a creative director do?

What areas did he design? I thought he was more about writing. If you put Styg in as game designer (he did a good job, but not quite the "dream") you might as well put him in as area designer. Area design in any Obsidian game is amateur hour compared to Underrail.

Why not? You seem to be so sure about VD's qualities to put him in a dream team, but not Morgan? Mkay.

Howdy

What does a creative director do?

I think of the role as a holder of the overall vision of how the game is going to look and play.

What areas did he design? I thought he was more about writing. If you put Styg in as game designer (he did a good job, but not quite the "dream") you might as well put him in as area designer. Area design in any Obsidian game is amateur hour compared to Underrail.

I think of area designer role as a person who designs the way the world works and feels, also how the player moves and interacts within it. I believe Zeits is doing that for TTON. Now as good as Styg is, underrail is a bitch to traverse.

Why not? You seem to be so sure about VD's qualities to put him in a dream team, but not Morgan? Mkay.

Yeah, I'm not sure about anything. Just a loosey to see what people's ideas are.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
When I see the decline of all (I can't think of a single exception) the old designer "gods" I can't help but wondering if they were really that good, or if they just were at the right place at the right time in the technological evolution.
So hard to say.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
When I see the decline of all (I can't think of a single exception) the old designer "gods" I can't help but wondering if they were really that good, or if they just were at the right place at the right time in the technological evolution.
So hard to say.

I think you are just describing standard career evolution and human nature. People can generally look back to sweet spot in their professional growth; the transition from skilled to visionary. This is when people have the right mix of bright ideas, the power or influence to make them manifest, and professional hunger. This window is generally 5-10 years tops. These people often pass completely into visionary roles after successes and their loss as individual contributors is a hit to team capabilities. This is how some studios can go to shit. I see this every day.

Norfleet

I kinda have this thought that any attempt to assemble such a team would result in massive ego clashes that guarantee miserable failure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom