Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Drova: Forsaken Kin - 2D action RPG inspired by Gothic series

Jinn

Arcane
Cool trailer, great environments, heavy atmosphere, and nice music. These guys love the hell out of Gothic and wear their admiration on their sleeves. Makes me hopeful for something decent to good.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
playing the demo right now and it's really promising. like the world design, but gothic's strength is in it's 3D world, something is is lost when you translate it to 2D style exploration but it still isn't bad. the combat feels good and require timing both attacking and dodging.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Inished the demo in around 3 hours or so. Really fun game. The levelling is straight up copied from gothic. You get LP that you can spend on attributes and weapon skill from trainers.

The quest is generally good. For example the early quests act as a tutorial and exposition. You are asked to find a hunter who isnt back from the hunt, and worker for the woodcutters camp. Midway you find another guy that is fighting some spriggan thing, and back in camp he gave you woodcutter axe, which is much better weapon that sticks you have been using the whole time. Then you get into conversation with him while he teaches you cutting wood, which act as an exposition while your in game character is bonding. It's just a fun little segment where you get long stretch of dialogue, but it doesnt feel like that because it feels like you're actually talking and bonding with that guy, afterwards he serve as basic str and dex trainer. After that i continue on to find the wounded hunter, where you must go back to the camp and find the healer which taught you basic alchemy and deliver the potion.

You can also find food thief in the camp, in which when you confront him you can either kick his ass or give him work.

In some part it does feel derivative of gothic. You have the main city, which act like the old camp you have the "rebel" camp and the starting area is the woodcutters camp, which supplies wood to the city but since a main bridge has collapse the city cannot send soldiers to the camp, resulting many woodcutters fleeing to the new faction camp.

Jinn

Arcane
In some part it does feel derivative of gothic.
Good, I would love to have more Gothic clones out there.

I asked the developers if the save from the demo would carry over to the full game. They said it was a good idea and that they'd look into it, but haven't heard anything else about it. The only way I'll put 3 hours into a demo is if I can carry that save over, so I hope they make it happen. Thanks for the impressions, Hobo! Sounds great.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
In some part it does feel derivative of gothic.
Good, I would love to have more Gothic clones out there.

I asked the developers if the save from the demo would carry over to the full game. They said it was a good idea and that they'd look into it, but haven't heard anything else about it. The only way I'll put 3 hours into a demo is if I can carry that save over, so I hope they make it happen. Thanks for the impressions, Hobo! Sounds great.
honestly it might be shorter than that, and i think good amount of time are spend on idle because i never quite games when i do chores but i understand. might be actually closer to 2 hours but i did explore most things. if you just want to have a feel of the combat and how quests works, it might take less.

the derivative-ness isn't bad or anything, it's quite superficial at least from the demo because you have similar setup. isolated landmass, 2 rivalling camps, and the general feel of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom