Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Duke Nukem Forever - Gold

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
People can absolve Gearbox of responsibility but it's not as if Borderlands was some paragon of PC FPS gaming -- I doubt they would have done much better with total control.

Morgoth said:
Reptilian Shapeshifter said:
Console controllers only have a few available buttons, so you can't carry more weapons than buttons.

Choice & consequence is deciding which 2 guns to carry.

It's better this way, anyway. The 2 weapon limit is more realistic, which we all know is an integral part of DUKE NUKEM's gameplay and premise.
In HL2 you could carry all weapons, including on the console version, and that game didn't even use all gamepad buttons.

I know. I was just mocking the Gearbox dev.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
So, I was downloading Duke just for archiving purposes and realized that I now actually have a rig that can play 3d shit!
I might fucking try it!

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Dicksmoker said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Ladders & Snakes said:
Well, who is to blame? Gearbox or 3D Realms? We won't know.

They forgot what made Duke Nukem 3D so great. It wasn't just the rude jokes, it was the groundbreaking gameplay. But they even got the humor totally wrong. Duke Nukem 3D was a parody, a satire of the classic action heroes and not some childish "let's throw shit around"...
What exactly was so ground-breaking about DN3D?
I've been playing these old fps's in order, and I just finished DN3D. Compared to the id tech 1 games (which were basically the only other thing at the time) environmental interaction is a lot more advanced. You can blow holes in walls, climb through ducts, etc., and there's usually multiple ways to get to a certain area. Also the levels are a lot more three-dimensional, you get a jetpack and scuba gear for going underwater. Even for a non-3D engine they did a lot with that.
I may dig out my DN3D CD and try it out.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Thanks for linking to the YouTube vids. Looks like I'm not missing out on a thing, though some of the jokes are funny.

Ironically, what I laughed most at were George Broussard's bat-shit-crazy comments about "modern-day" gaming. Hopefully the modding community can salvage something from this game and make it actually worthy of being called a Duke Nukem game.

Luzur

Good Sir
Unkillable Cat said:
Thanks for linking to the YouTube vids. Looks like I'm not missing out on a thing, though some of the jokes are funny.

Ironically, what I laughed most at were George Broussard's bat-shit-crazy comments about "modern-day" gaming. Hopefully the modding community can salvage something from this game and make it actually worthy of being called a Duke Nukem game.

it is moddable?

Micmu

Magister
Luzur said:
Unkillable Cat said:

it is moddable?
Does it matter? "Modders will fix it!11 lol" is the standard excuse. Clearly, unkillable cat was being sarcastic.

Leaked gold builds are out as we speak. For Xbox/PS3. How's that antipiracy fight going guys?

:smug:

phanboy_iv said:
Amusing comments from George Broussard:

http://www.shacknews.com/chatty?id=26031903#itemanchor_26031903

By GeorgeB3DR

Except dnf uses the dpad for items like holoduke, duke vision, etc. There are only so many buttons. Add to that, that consoles represent 70% of game sales today, and that the two weapon scheme has worked and been STD since halo in 2001 and it's really not an issue.

:smug:

Why yes, it has been a sexually transmitted disease plaguing every FPS this decade. Every time a pure-blooded PC FPS decides that a little quickie with the consoles couldn't hurt, they get this shit for stuck on them.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
retail is out.
actually bought it. why? bored as fuck.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Zed said:
retail is out.
actually bought it. why? bored as fuck.

Could have just given me the $50 and I would have told you ~5 hours of penis jokes and saved you the trouble of playing.

Morgoth said:
xemous said:
anyone tried this out with a gamepad

:x
In the PC physical version manual, they actually put the Xbox controls before the keyboard and mouse controls. There's DLC planned and the manual is a joke. All taken from an unboxing and pre-order gigantic speaking 'keyring' vid from OverTheGun, an LPer and Duke Nukem 3D fan. Funny keyring anecdote too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coozf3LDAgk

Tycn

Savant
PC version is 'out'. I'm not going to bother but I wouldn't mind seeing some impressions.

MetalCraze

Arcane
By GeorgeB3DR

Except dnf uses the dpad for items like holoduke, duke vision, etc. There are only so many buttons. Add to that, that consoles represent 70% of game sales today, and that the two weapon scheme has worked and been STD since halo in 2001 and it's really not an issue.

STDs seem to be wide spread in the gaming industry these days

What's with all the franchise rape and journalist blowjobs everywhere

Ermm

Erudite
wat? Max Payne 3 will have 3 weapon limit?

This obsession with limited weapons is CRAZY.

With more weapons you get more fun.
More Weapons = More Fun.
Original DNF and even the 3rd person ''Time To Kill'' installment was all about fun. Where's fun in 2 weapon limit? Where's fun in shitty driving mini games? DNF is 90's my ass haha. It is COD and Halo, but with JOKES.

Exmit

Scholar
It's not 'realistic' to be able to carry more than 2 weapons , atleast that's what CoD crowd says :M.

Angthoron

Arcane
Yeah, and breaking boards with a single SMG shot or killing mutant pigs is.

Ermm

Erudite
Exmit said:
It's not 'realistic' to be able to carry more than 2 weapons , atleast that's what CoD crowd says :M.

Yeah, it is more unreal than plot of their favorite game.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Saw the game on the torrent sites yesterday and see it in the shops today. Funnily enough in none of the usual gaming shops but in several record and dvd ones. Bought one out of nostalgia and because they really did manage to create one of the ugliest pieces of boxarts in ages. Will try the actual game later.

Saw some adverts for DLC as well. One of them being a 'big head dlc'. Which as I recall correctly was one of the cheatcodes in the original. Lame, but then again what launch DLC isn't? Anyway, installing.

EDIT: It runs like shit on my rig so I uninstalled. Game looks like it would've been a hoot in the 90's and even early 2000's. As it is? It feels like it belongs in a different era but got dragged kicking and screaming into 2011. It ain't bad and actually is fun. It's just not great.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Oh, the irony. I used to be sort-of excited about duke and had a wait and see attitude towards Deus Ex HR.

DXHR get s a leak, I play it and it convinces me to preorder.
DNF gets released and a first impsessions video of the first 45 minutes convinces me to cancel the torrent download and forget all about duke.

The king is dead.

Trash said:
EDIT: It runs like shit on my rig so I uninstalled. Game looks like it would've been a hoot in the 90's and even early 2000's. As it is? It feels like it belongs in a different era but got dragged kicking and screaming into 2011. It ain't bad and actually is fun. It's just not great.
Apparently it even gets choppy on dual GTX 580s.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom