Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup questions/thread

Zomg

Arbiter
I blame tiles

To profane a roguelike with a mouse, blasphemy. General roguelike immorality soon follows

7hm

Scholar
Zomg said:
I blame tiles

To profane a roguelike with a mouse, blasphemy. General roguelike immorality soon follows

The tiles are so good though :/

Webtiles doesn't let you use a mouse, so there's that at least.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
Minotaur is a teaching tool. Not a final Avatar for me. I am playing the others standard, I just want to get a good grasp of gameplay, artifacts and otherwise, which I am not getting by dying so constantly. I need to figure out the magic system. And no, it's not completist, it's a character that seeks completion. Big deal.

Zomg

Arbiter
Winning in roguelikes is cripple shit, dying is the best. You will be sad when you start to only die when you fall asleep at the wheel

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
Unfortunately, the more I play this game, the more this makes sense, Zomg...

First time pissed me off. Now I'm hooked.

7hm

Scholar
The best teaching tool in a roguelike is death.

When you have such a strong deterrent to bad play it forces you to pay a lot more attention to what you're doing.

On another note - I'm a big fan of High Elf Berserkers. They have good all around skills with none of the side effects except for slow levelling, which really isn't a big deal. Plus HEBes can rock the endgame using Ash to convert into spellcasters.

Still haven't actually won a HEBe, but I've had three die in the post endgame (2 in like level 25 of a zig to pan lords, fuck).

SpBe is a lot of fun too.

And for basic casting hybrids - Merfolk Crusaders were the standard for a long time. They're still quite good.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Anyone try playing the one level mini dungeon modes? They're a lot of fun. Makes entirely different classes and gods useful too. Ogre archers become pretty OP with those kickass rocks when they last for your whole career.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I won two dungeon sprints, Violent Keep of Menakure and Red Sonya something. Fun but get samey soon.

On the other hand Zot defense is not my cup of tea at all.

Castanova

Prophet
Sheesh, 0.9 hasn't even been released yet and they've released 0.10 for testing already. Development on this thing has accelerated like crazy. Is Crawl approaching the Singularity or something?

Anyway, been playing some 0.8 recently. I've got a MDGl going and I'm enjoying the buff to heavy armor. Also, in my last game (where I set a race/class combo high score MUHAHAHAHAH), I very much appreciated that the Slime Pit walls no longer corrode your armor.

7hm

Scholar
Castanova said:
Sheesh, 0.9 hasn't even been released yet and they've released 0.10 for testing already. Development on this thing has accelerated like crazy. Is Crawl approaching the Singularity or something?

Anyway, been playing some 0.8 recently. I've got a MDGl going and I'm enjoying the buff to heavy armor. Also, in my last game (where I set a race/class combo high score MUHAHAHAHAH), I very much appreciated that the Slime Pit walls no longer corrode your armor.

Crawl's doing 2 releases a year.

I think they're going for Jan / August for next year though.

.10 is a lot of fun so far (mostly just .9 stuff with some minor changes). The new skill system is awesome.

Tourney starts Aug 13th.

Castanova

Prophet
What's so good about the new skill system? The only change I've heard is that skills that you turn off get no experience at all now. That alone doesn't sound too exciting and potentially a downgrade imo. Is there something else?

7hm

Scholar
Castanova said:
What's so good about the new skill system? The only change I've heard is that skills that you turn off get no experience at all now. That alone doesn't sound too exciting and potentially a downgrade imo. Is there something else?

There are two modes - manual and auto. If you use auto it will focus on the skills you select but xp will primarily go towards the ones you use.

If you select manual you pick the skills that train, and ONLY those skills train. Regardless of whether or not you use them.

In other words - you can massively pump a single skill far beyond what victory dancing would allow you to do previously.

Very very cool.

A strat I'm liking for a FeBe, for example, was to pump dodging up to about 10 right away as I dive as low as I can (to maximize xp and level gains). Dodging helps me live. Then once that's done I focus on UC. Then fighting. Then stealth. Then dodging again, etc.

Castanova

Prophet
I don't like the sound of the manual mode. At all. If you're going to implement something like that then you might as well just have skill points that are awarded when you level up. That would accomplish the same thing while reducing the micromanagement that you're describing.

I understand the desire to reduce victory dancing but honestly the people that victory dance are the more intermediate/advanced players. These are the same players that, given this new "manual mode," are going to end up spending even MORE time making choices on skill optimization. Not less.

7hm

Scholar
Castanova said:
I don't like the sound of the manual mode. At all. If you're going to implement something like that then you might as well just have skill points that are awarded when you level up. That would accomplish the same thing while reducing the micromanagement that you're describing.

I understand the desire to reduce victory dancing but honestly the people that victory dance are the more intermediate/advanced players. These are the same players that, given this new "manual mode," are going to end up spending even MORE time making choices on skill optimization. Not less.

Everyone ends up victory dancing when they 15rune.

You save time this way and it allows for a lot more optimization.

If you use the auto mode there is no difference - you just have the xp go directly into skills rather than into a pool and then into skills.

betamin

Learned
sser said:
So I literally just found this. Mother lode?

Yes.

Also, manual is cool, it makes the game easier but removes that boring victory dancing

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I dunno about manual skillpoint allocation, seems to favor mages even more with easy increase of the fighting skill. Unless they finally changed the way that hp is calculated.

Ashery

Prophet
I seem to recall that they reduced the hp bonus from fighting, but I could be mistaken.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Malakal said:
I dunno about manual skillpoint allocation, seems to favor mages even more with easy increase of the fighting skill. Unless they finally changed the way that hp is calculated.

Everything favours mages. Enemy descriptions, to-hit mechanics, resistances, stealth mechanics, and pretty much all the gods who aren't Trog. That said, it's a good change. Victory dancing was stupid, and not being able to use thrown/ranged weapons for fear of eating all your precious xp was stupid. Crawl made a decent attempt at a use based system, but it's just not up to snuff in this kind of game. Would work better in something more arcade style where you're forced to make constant progress and have no room for doing something purely for the sake of maniuplating you use counts.

7hm

Scholar
Malakal said:

HP is much less fighting dependent, though it still helps. XL and race are much more important.

edit: The 0.9 release tourney starts on August 13th.

It includes webtiles users. NO EXCUSES FOR NOT MAKING A TEAM THIS TIME RPGCODEX CRAWL PLAYERS!

desocupado

Magister
7hm said:
Malakal said:

HP is much less fighting dependent, though it still helps. XL and race are much more important.

edit: The 0.9 release tourney starts on August 13th.

It includes webtiles users. NO EXCUSES FOR NOT MAKING A TEAM THIS TIME RPGCODEX CRAWL PLAYERS!

I can join the RPGCODEX team. Still a long ways from my second win, though.

thursday

Novice
Does anyone have a link to the .10 testing build? I can't seem to find it on their website, and I'm interested in seeing what the fuss is about with the new skill system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom