Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Dungeon Lords trashed at GameSpy

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
I didn't read the big posts but saying publishers think RT=guarnteed sales is a bit much. We all know you religously hate RT but publishers think a game that was RT would have a better chance at success than if the game used TB. Dungeon Lords was meant to be an RT game, there was no decision matter from the publisher thinking HMM SHUD WE MAKE RT OR TB RPG? It was expected

The concept that publishers think ALL RT GAMES SELL is idiotic and you need to stfu for once vd.

MarFish

Liturgist
space captain said:
MarFish said:
Publishers give a fuck about combat system, they want to sell copies, not impress the incestous remainder of rabid TB fans.

looks like your problem with TB is emotional - not rational

Lol, since when does codex language bother you. The world contradicts you, there has been no western style TB RPG a la Fallout that ever broke the 1 million sold units mark for a lot of years, while there are plenty of RT RPGS that do. If ToEE is the best a publisher can expect from the genre, no wonder they are not even thinking about it anymore. Or maybe they are, but it's not an option for AAA high production value titles, who knows?

As for certain rabid TB fans, I think incestous is a very fitting description, no other explaination can be found for the dumbfuck comments that VD is putting up on the frontpage, this can only be the result of years of exposure to people like Rosh. As fallout fan, you know what continued exposure to hazardous material can do to you.

So you can cry all you want, claim I'm emotional and that it's all wrong and that there will be a resurrection of TB RPGs as soon as dumb publishers no longer believe that RT means guaranteed cash, but I fear you are up for some disappointments in the future, be it FO3 or be it Jacked Up Alliance 3D.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
MarFish said:
If ToEE is the best a publisher can expect from the genre, no wonder they are not even thinking about it anymore.
This statement is wrong. ToEE is NOT the best a publisher can expect. Troika always fucked up his games.

Dhruin

Liturgist
^I think you are right. But they haven't. So that just isn't there when publishers look at the sales data.

MarFish

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
I'd be willing to bet that if BioWare had made NWN turn based, it would have sold well over a million copies.

I bet multiplayer would have been fantastic.

MarFish

Liturgist
space captain said:
the language doesnt bother me, dumbass - where the fuck did you come up with that? the same place where you concocted your retarded theories about TB vs RT??

learn how to operate your brain before you try to have any more conversations

A braindead TB junky talking about brain, how ironic.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
MarFish said:

TB multiplayer? Sounds pretty fantastic to me. Why would you think TB multiplayer is a bad thing? As it is combat isn't real time(not saying its TB though), only commands are. So why not go all the way?

To use a better example, BG 1 or 2. I'm pretty certain these games didn't include multiplayer, yet they used the same non-TB system as NWN. I think you'll have a hard time claiming those games succeses were due to the combat. Had they been TB, there would be a pretty strong case reason for publishers to make games TB. Sure, publishers want money, but to think RT improves a games chances of doing so is a mistake, I think.

MarFish

Liturgist
Greatatlantic said:
MarFish said:

TB multiplayer? Sounds pretty fantastic to me. Why would you think TB multiplayer is a bad thing? As it is combat isn't real time(not saying its TB though), only commands are. So why not go all the way?

To use a better example, BG 1 or 2. I'm pretty certain these games didn't include multiplayer...

That just shows that you like to sound off about things you have no clue about. BG and BG 2 had multiplayer.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
MarFish said:
BG and BG 2 had multiplayer.
Yup. And the IWD games.

Greatatlantic said:
Really, the only TB multiplayer I've ever done is HOMM2 and 3. And that was kinda slow, have a few beers and a chat while its happening, kinda stuff. So it was enjoyable and social in that respect.
But I don't think I could have enjoyed the likes of IWD multiplay if it had been turn based.
Singleplay would have been great though, I'm sure.

Then again, I haven't really tried fully fledged TB party-based RPG multiplay.
Any recommendations please?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
MarFish said:

Almost like.. THE ORIGINAL NEVERWINTER NIGHTS WAS!

That's right, MarFish. The original NWN on AOL was multiplayer and turn based.

You may now lick my sweaty balls for forgiveness.

MarFish

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
MarFish said:

Almost like.. THE ORIGINAL NEVERWINTER NIGHTS WAS!

That's right, MarFish. The original NWN on AOL was multiplayer and turn based.

You may now lick my sweaty balls for forgiveness.

It's dead. The new NWN lives. Just as TB is dead. RT lives.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
MarFish said:
In other words, RT guarantees more sales than TB. Are you done digging yourself deeper?
If the playingfield is equal (same budget, etc), a TB RPG is likely to sell significantly less than an RT RPG.
Is that a fact? Or something you believe in? If it's the latter - and it can't be the former as such facts do NOT exist - then that's what publishers believe in too: RT = sales.

You are dumber than I thought if you think that there was even the discussion of making Dungeon Lords a TB title.
You have an annoying habit of making shit up and claiming that someone said it.

it's going to be a bad game, let's make it RT so it sells at least a bit more, because the question of TB isn't even asked anymore these days.
What's with the religious zeal-like hate of TB? Anyway, the question is still being asked: ToEE, Silent Storm, JA3, Tactica Online, so, once again, stop making shit up.

The lack of TB western "fallout" style RPGs is proof enough for the last 5 years.
Well, technically, there wasn't ANY decent "fallout style RPG" for the last 5 years. Btw, it's kinda cute that you've added "western" to ignore FF games. That's right, if something doesn't fit into your theory, exclude it.

You are implying with that that someone might actually believe that, and everyone with a bit of brain knows that no publisher would make such a simple equation.
Let's not underestimate the stupidity of publishers.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
POOPERSCOOPER said:
I didn't read the big posts but saying publishers think RT=guarnteed sales is a bit much.
Prove me wrong then, if you can. What's "guarnteed", btw?

We all know you religously hate RT...
I don't. And it's "religiously", you missed "i"

Dungeon Lords was meant to be an RT game, there was no decision matter from the publisher thinking HMM SHUD WE MAKE RT OR TB RPG? It was expected
I know. Why are you telling me this?

The concept that publishers think ALL RT GAMES SELL is idiotic...
What else would explain all those idiotic RT games on the shelves and in development? Take a game like DL, for example. Do you understand that it had nothing but RT combat? That was the only fucking feature, basically.

...you need to stfu for once vd
And let you do the talking? lol

Eelusion

Novice
what are you talking about ? Since purchasing a PS2 I'm in TB heaven. Shadow Hearts Covenant, Suikoden Series, Gladius, Disgaea, Phantom Brave, Arc The Lad, Final Fantasy, Megaman Command Mission...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I'd be willing to bet that if BioWare had made NWN turn based, it would have sold well over a million copies."

What ifs mean shit. What if BIO had made TOEE instead of Troika, and TRoika had made NWN. Like I said, what ifs are for losers who wanna ignore reality.

"Almost like.. THE ORIGINAL NEVERWINTER NIGHTS WAS!

That's right, MarFish. The original NWN on AOL was multiplayer and turn based."

That's right. And, it no longer exists. While RT NWN still is going strong. Go figure. And, it wasn't even worthy of a sequel. Hahahaha.

"I think you'll have a hard time claiming those games succeses were due to the combat."

Hate to break it you bub; outside of the silly Codex and its ilk; most people ENJOYED IE combat. And, it was definitely part of its success. Not the only part; but certainly a big part. Afterall, IWD sold simply because it promised more IE combat in a dungeon crawl. Go figure.

Turn based combat is kewl; but so overrated as proven by POR2. R00fles!

RT combat is overrated.

However, RT w/pause is awesome.

LONG LIVE BIO! THEY ARE THE BESTEST INNOVATORS WHO RULE THE ROOST! BIO IS AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

bgillisp

Scholar
I think the real problem is not that there have been no good TB RPG's recently that have sold well, but that there have been no good PC TB RPG's recently that have sold well. I own a Game Boy and a PS2 also, and have found plenty of TB RPG's recently for both. And, most of these (FFX, Chrono Cross, etc..) have sold very well too.

Kuato

Liturgist
MarFish said:
If the playingfield is equal (same budget, etc), a TB RPG is likely to sell significantly less than an RT RPG.

These conditions of an "Equal playing Field" have never existed and most likely never will so I dont understand how you can jump to such a wild conclusion, its like comparing Diablo 2's budget and marketing to that of Fallout tactics.

Publishers get boners from anything realtime with lots of eyecandy and flash thus demoing a game that essentailly plays itselfand is full of flash makes it easier to wow stuffy execs who dont realy care if the game is RT or TB they just make the calls as to which games get funded. Just try demoing a turnbased game after someone just gave a Doom 3 or Halflife2 clone demo... yeah. This where you might as well be demonstrating prerendered intro cinematics, well look at Final Fantasy they must have the same execs demos over there as we do here the only difference is they accomodate for it in their designs, Im sure the first thing they showed off in their exec demos were the overtop Yuna summoning animations or showcased prerendered cinematics and very little actual gameplay. I think Dynasty Tactics is another example.

RT vs TB debate doesnt matter because that concerns actual gameplay, what Publishers want is 100% flash and could care less about substance. In thier eyes flash is marketable while gameplay is not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom