Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Rats - first impressions and general feedback

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Noo, don't reduce the SP gain for the solo mode, that sounds like something Sawyer would do.
That's what lower difficulty is for. Solo run really is too easy (and by far). There are only 3-4 difficult fights (and 1 really difficult but it's entirely optional), the rest are of medium difficulty or easy. I've ended my 3rd run on solo even quicker than the last one (so probably in less than 10 hours all things considered, 12 hours max) maxing hammer, spear, axe, alchemy and crafting plus I had 3 points in daggers and swords (or was it 4?) plus I forgot to kill certain small fries for 25 SP (so I would even more powerful) AND due to a slight mistake in my build I made things a bit harder for me (I won't spoil what mistake I made).

Thinking of reducing the solo run to x2 rather than x4.
Do it.
Agreed.

If you have any problems you could send your review text to me and I'll publish it from my account.
Well, you would have to buy the game first (unless you're suggesting I should send you a key with it :]) but then you should write a positive review yourself, each one counts. As for the same CD-KEY, I don't see how that's a problem but maybe you're right... Will think about it.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Last edited by a moderator:

Tigranes

Arcane
Definitely reduce SP gain for solo runs.

In other loosely comparable scenarios, no solo run was adequately challenging when you rewarded a linear multiplier for XP gain. (Think getting 6x XP for BG/IWD, or POE). It's difficult to have any character system that can handle you getting so much more XP - even without playing, 4x seems an incredible amount.

In any case, a solo run is in most cases meant to be more challenging, something to give a qualitatively different but also difficult experience once you've blasted through various parties.

Any chance you can provide .ini editing or some easy way for players to customise XP gain, by the way?

Tigranes

Arcane
Also, Vault Dweller will there be gog page, BMT Micro option, up by release time? Is BMT Micro still the option that gives you highest cut?

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
GOG will be definitely possible, Vault Dweller has confirmed it earlier. I think he mentioned about BMT Micro too but don't take my word for it. If it is true then it definitely gives them the highest cut. I prefer to buy 2 copies though (Steam+GOG) and write positive reviews on both platforms (buying via BMT Micro is much more expensive due to a tax that's somehow already included in Steam/GOG price).

I suspect that Elhoim, Nick and Vault Dweller won't sleep tonight so don't be surprised if they won't respond.

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Done.

In other loosely comparable scenarios, no solo run was adequately challenging when you rewarded a linear multiplier for XP gain. (Think getting 6x XP for BG/IWD, or POE). It's difficult to have any character system that can handle you getting so much more XP - even without playing, 4x seems an incredible amount. In any case, a solo run is in most cases meant to be more challenging, something to give a qualitatively different but also difficult experience once you've blasted through various parties.
I concur.

Any chance you can provide .ini editing or some easy way for players to customise XP gain, by the way?
Undecided.

Also, Vault Dweller will there be gog page, BMT Micro option, up by release time? Is BMT Micro still the option that gives you highest cut?
GOG - yes, BMT - no. At $8.99 minus the launch discount it hardly makes any difference and we'd rather get more people buying the game on Steam.

(buying via BMT Micro is much more expensive due to a tax that's somehow already included in Steam/GOG price).
BMT has to follow the EU rules and charge tax on digital goods. Steam doesn't because it's a US company. Not sure how GOG gets away with it.

kjl

Barely Literate
Warning: power gamer alert - this is strictly balance-related.

Done.

For the love of all things unholy, tread carefully. Reducing solo sp gain by half renders solo characters strictly inferior to standard ones (unless for some reason one doesn't care about thc and leaves Per and Int at 4).

Let's say there's 500 sp to gain over the course of the game (50 fights 10 sp each). That's 500 sp on a standard run with no recruits, 250 sp on a solo run. Thus, a solo char gets 2 stat points at the cost of 250+ sp.

If those stat points are put into Per, they translate to 10 thc. However, 250 sp translates to >10 thc when invested in synergies (only level 10 costs more than 25 sp). Realistically though, that's probably way more than 250 sp (400?) and low synergy levels are cheap, so even for spears (lowest synergy bonuses) the difference will likely be 25 thc at least.

Another way of thinking about it: by going solo you get 2 stat points to spend as you like, by going standard and never recruiting your effective sp multiplier is 2*(Int+6) == (200% sp multiplier at Int 4, 320% sp multiplier at Int 10). That's 6+Int virtual stat points into Int on standard sidekick-free runs.

There's no point making a solo mode character anymore (other than intentionally gimping yourself).

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
My first impression - is a fucking dissapointment.
Wait to throw feces at me - I saw Dungeon Rats letsplay, looked at bottom right corner of screen, saw 04.11.2016, decided that I can buy game already, runned Steam and saw "WAIT FOR 12 HOURS BITCH".
A fucking disaster, worst expierience in whole past month... :shredder:

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My first impression - is a fucking dissapointment.
Wait to throw feces in me - I saw Dungeon Rats letsplay, looked at bottom right corner of screen, saw 04.11.2016, decided that I can buy game already, runned Steam and saw "WAIT FOR 12 HOURS BITCH".
A fucking disaster, worst expierience in whole past month... :shredder:
time zone is racist

Cadmus

Arcane
ffs where is Dungeon Rats on GoG fucking nazis release the game already ffs I will cut myself

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So to be clear, Vault Dweller would prefer us to buy the game on Steam, not off the website or GOG? I prefer GOG myself but I'll play it on Steam instead if that helps in some way.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
So to be clear, Vault Dweller would prefer us to buy the game on Steam, not off the website or GOG?
Why not both? I also prefer GOG but having positive reviews on both platforms will definitely help. Just pirate Wasteland 3 or some other shit and support indie titles such as Copper Dreams or Dungeon Rats.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So to be clear, Vault Dweller would prefer us to buy the game on Steam, not off the website or GOG?
Why not both? I also prefer GOG but having positive reviews on both platforms will definitely help. Just pirate Wasteland 3 or some other shit and support indie titles such as Copper Dreams or Dungeon Rats.
I like Vince, but I'm not going to pay money for the privilege of writing multiple reviews for him :)

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
First DR "review": http://steamcommunity.com/app/531930/discussions/0/282992646967961024/

History:
In 2015 Iron Tower Studio released Age of Decadance after 11 years of development - an extremely well received 3D turn based role playing game set in a world inspired by the fall of the roman empire. It was a game lacqured in the dark atmosphere of a post apocolyptic, low magic setting and it offered tons of player choice while emphasizing consequence and multi-tiered paths for completing quests.

The Premise & Story
Your journey through Dungeon Rats starts in the dark and dusty shadows of a prison mine. Dungeon Rats attempts to harken back to the old Fallout and Planescape roleplaying games. It’s a rare breed of RPG, and doesn’t focus on casting you as some great hero that’s going to take on hordes of enemies and save the universe like most games. It’s a story on a smaller scale, with many choices and sequences woven intricately in the mix.

Gameplay
You begin the game by creating your character and shelling your trait and attribute points to the style of your choosing.

Dig a little deeper and you’ll find more interesting things. Dive into alcemy to draft poision or healing potions, put some points into crafting to use the blacksmith, or increase your Charisma to be able to enlarge the size of your party and followers.

You begin each battle by strategically accessing your environment and enemies, and I think this is the allure of these types of games. Replace rash decisions with Patience and tactics and you’ll be rewarded. Attack types will be based off the weapons that you have equipped and of course depending on how many points you allocated to certain weapon types will effect the performance of your combat prowess.

Opportunities
For a $9 dollar game and spin off of AOD, I can’t complain too much. This is a fairly qualified game, albeit extremely familiar in feel, but it just doesn’t do much to expand on the principle mechanics of AOD. The developers are quoted as stating that the main implementation of Dungeon Rats was to add a multi-character party system.

I would have loved to see some diversity in the level design, the mine shafts and dingy shadowy environments get old quickly, and a much needed improvment to the animations during all walks of the game.

Verdict
Dungeon Rats feels like an offshoot journey down a familiar road, and less of a defined game on its own. I played for about 10 hours and i’m nearing completion, but it may take you far longer if you didn’t play AOD. For those of you who have played AOD, this game will feel commonplace but maybe a little routine if you were just so-so about the game. If you were super into AOD and wanted more, just a little bit more, some slight tweaks and a few additions, Dungeon Rats has you covered.

I can certainty recommend Dungon Rats for $9 bucks.
link deleted because this reviewer is a scammer.
I think this guy wanted to be FIRST!11111111™ because you can't call it a review.

Edit:
lol
It looks like this guy didn't play it even because he's using BumpyMcSquigums character (you can see his name at 4m 38s): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NYNRC5ab78#t=4m38s

Edit:
Confirmed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNvAljmG2OI&lc=z121dpboeoq4tjnfj23sxbtbglahutq05.1478243939578619

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
So to be clear, Vault Dweller would prefer us to buy the game on Steam, not off the website or GOG? I prefer GOG myself but I'll play it on Steam instead if that helps in some way.

You don't need to have the game on GOG to review it on GOG, I think. But you need to have the game on your steam library to review it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom