Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeons and Dragons Online - Fair Codexia Dead - DDO NEWs Thread!

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
Another case where they could improve it in the UI...
Sadly, this will very likely never happen. UI refactoring is painful even if you have the resources for it.

the summon monster critters are kinda trash
My bard has summon monster on every level. At first I was hyped for it, but yeah, I'm like level 17 and I just got summon monster VI on 16 I think which gives me a single CR 10 monster... While I'm supposed to do level 15-16 content. One of the things that needs a buff imho. So unless I'm doing it wrong, the summons suck :decline:.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
content. One of the things that needs a buff imho. So unless I'm doing it wrong, the summons suck

I actually remember listening to an interview one of the developers gave, and there is a reason summons are crap. Apparently, too many monsters causes way too much of a load on their servers due to the AI. That's why there is a dungeon alert system that punishes and discourages you from aggroing too many monsters. It's to prevent you from generating too much enemy AI and lagging to death. Though on higher difficulties and in some of the raids I've watched online enough monsters spawn to trigger a dungeon alert for some reason.

Anyway, he basically said they aren't going to buff pets and summons because if they did people would actually start using them, which means more AI and more server stress. This would especially be a problem in a full 6 man party or 12 man raid.

So summons are pretty much going to suck forever. Though I do remember watching a video of a group doing high reaper skull content and them summoning some monsters just to distract the beholder boss for a few seconds.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Apparently unlike LOTRO where you keep most of the benefits when VIP expires, DDO doesn't.
With the coupon is it worth going VIP or, stick to premium and buy & keep stuff permanently?

I am be-horsed. Did take a few hours of farming to get it but since all my characters on that server will have horses now it's well worth it for convenience. Travel's not really a pain in the ass in DDO (Thus far at least) but that's still handy if I want to run around the city to go buy level appropriate hirelings or whatever. Speaking of which I was disappointed to find my level bracket didn't have a barbarian hireling, been taking that for more damage/meat shield but at 4th level it looks like I'm stuck with fighter to go with my fighter skeleton.

Apparently unlike LOTRO where you keep most of the benefits when VIP expires, DDO doesn't.
With the coupon is it worth going VIP or, stick to premium and buy & keep stuff permanently?
I think VIP probably isn't worth it with the coupon. The big thing is VIP gives access to quests, but you've got basically all the regular quests now anyway, and VIP doesn't (In my understanding) give access to expansions so you wouldn't get access to the remaining expansions anyway. If VIP lapses you lose access to characters made using money shop races/classes, too. I think generally speaking there's no maximum bang for your buck with DDO, but unlike LotRO you aren't as hobbled as a free to player if you've got the quest code and do the quick grind to buy the 3 99 point expansions. Just sucks a bit that the other races/classes are so goddamn expensive, though you do eventually unlock the drow race and the favored soul and artificer classes with favor (Essentially reputation).

DDO's really fucking weird. The quest code and expansion discount is really generous, and yet they want to charge $20 to get access to a single class like monk. Even though I'm enjoying the game now I don't think there's any way in hell I'd even pay sale prices for what they want for races/classes BUT that's just me. But I'd say you can play as-is just fine and then if you sink time into it and like it then it might be worth thinking about what you want to spend.

Nim

Augur
Don't spend any money for now. U51 is about to hit in a few hours and the :codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues: already broke a bunch of quests. Just wait how much of a trainwreck this turns out to be.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I am be-horsed. Did take a few hours of farming to get it but since all my characters on that server will have horses now it's well worth it for convenience.
Just reminder - you don't need to stop to mount your horse, it can be done while running. Unlike other things with progress bar in this game moving don't break mounting.

Codex Year of the Donut
Don't spend any money for now. U51 is about to hit in a few hours and the :codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues: already broke a bunch of quests. Just wait how much of a trainwreck this turns out to be.
It's 15bux, not your firstborn child.
SSG is generally a decent dev. Hate their monetization schemes, but they pump out an insane amount of content for DDO and lotro. Both get at least one major expansion a year + content patches, meanwhile Blizzard can't even release a single patch a year now despite their massively bloated budget.

Reinhardt

Arcane
It's 15bux, not your firstborn child.
SSG is generally a decent dev. Hate their monetization schemes, but they pump out an insane amount of content for DDO and lotro. Both get at least one major expansion a year + content patches, meanwhile Blizzard can't even release a single patch a year now despite their massively bloated budget.
Just the day they release new "epic" destinies which will make leveling harder, they broke and closed all daily quests - raiyum, spies in da house and so on. You know - exact same quests people do daily if they don't buy exp and slayers pots and don't hop on slayers wagon in reincarnation train. Very convenient.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Lots of complaints regarding starting the game from Steam. I can't start the game from Steam too, guess I'll go back to LOTRO.
Haha j/k, I resorted to their stand-alone launcher, just think of the number of new players that they have lost who can't be bothered, even with the coupon codes.
Oh yeah if you launch from Steam you can use your steam wallet, or at least I did for LOTRO.

I started with the rogue/paladin build for newbies posted earlier in this thread.

Also last Nov Black Friday sale there was a double bonus points sale, hopefully we get a repeat.

Last edited:

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
For me, it's worth it for difficulty access and QoLs like shared bank and monster manuals (more xp). There's also that weekly dice that sometimes has good stuff except xp. And at some point I plan to try paid classes/races that do have these insane 15$ per whatever prices.

Reinhardt

Arcane
New destinies are just bad. Looks like they were made by someone who never played the actual game. T5 abilities are unlocked at level 30. So if you reincarnate at 30(and they claimed it's revamp aimed for new players, so they will reincarnate) you won't ever even use them.
They said
  • Each melee/ranged tree will also grant both Melee and Ranged Power at the same time. The exception to this is Fury of the Wild and Shiradi Champion, which will grant only Melee Power and only Ranged Power respectively, and contain only melee and only ranged attacks respectively.
Well, guess what? I was sitting at 30 to see what is this stuff about. In Shiradi, which they said is "ranged tree" half of abilities are fucking MAGIC. I picked literally EVERY SINGLE ONE non magic ability in the tree and still couldn't reach t5. Had to burn points on some "+30 spellpoints" shit.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
For me, it's worth it for difficulty access and QoLs like shared bank and monster manuals (more xp). There's also that weekly dice that sometimes has good stuff except xp. And at some point I plan to try paid classes/races that do have these insane 15$ per whatever prices.
Can get difficulty unlocks & others with DP too, might be worth VIP if I do lots of harder dungeons.

Also free code
https://www.ddo.com/en/15thanniversary

Any other freebies? I know of the weekly ones just like LOTRO.

Last edited:

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Usually every week they have a free coupon code in the DDO chronicle. Some times it can be a pretty good freebie. Last week was an item for the Night Revels event which is over already. Next coupon will be November 5.

Haven't tried the new destinies on my epic toon yet. Interested to see what the new meta is going to be like.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Usually every week they have a free coupon code in the DDO chronicle. Some times it can be a pretty good freebie. Last week was an item for the Night Revels event which is over already. Next coupon will be November 5.
You are telling me the same weekly freebie I said, you even quoted me. :M

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Was looking into magus of the eclipse https://ddowiki.com/page/Magus_of_the_Eclipse

"Moon Lance: Epic Strike: Single-target SLA, 1d6+6 Cold Damage per caster level and applies 3 stacks of Shattermantle. Cooldown 6 seconds, cost 5 SP"

A good SLA vs enemies under deathward. Liked it.

"Frostlight: Magus of the Eclipse Destiny Mantle: You take half damage from Cold and, if you are not Undead, take half from Negative. If you are Undead, you take half damage from Light instead. This does not stack with Fire Shield: Cold or Cold Energy Sheathe."

That is bad. IMO being weak vs light is a drawback which undeads should suffer.

"Call Upon: Multiselector: Active Ability: (Cooldown 60 seconds) Summon an epic (CR20) creature to aid you: Animated Armor, Golem, Succubus, Living Meteor Swarm, Dream Reaver, Lich, Gargoyle."

Summonable succubus. I like it.

Greater Beams: When you use Moon Lance, the target must make a save (DC 20 + highest of INT, WIS, CHA modifier + the highest of your Evocation and Conjuration bonuses) or be Frozen for 12 seconds. When you use Gloomspear, the target must make a save (DC 20 + highest of INT, WIS, CHA modifier + Necromancy bonuses) or be Paralyzed for 12 seconds.

That is interesting

"Time Stop: Epic Moment: Enemies in a small area are Paralyzed and Helpless with no save for 6 seconds. They cannot die in this state, but if they are below 0 HP when they leave this state, they die instantly. Bosses and Raid Bosses are not Paralyzed, but are considered Helpless for the purpose of damage. 5 minute cooldown."

ZA WARUDO!!!!

------------------------

In nutshell? A lot of good stuff and a bad thing(half damage from light). I wish that I had upgrade for the pale master undead forms. Eg - Lich becoming demilich, shadow a shade, vampire, a ancient vampire and so on.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Wow.

Me and my friend's power shot through the roof with these new epic destinies. We are at max level now and doing level 23 quests on elite was a breeze. We decided to try level 24 quests on reaper 1 and were able to absolutely shred it. We don't even have named end game gear from the expansions and we were still kicking butt.

Also Meredoth , are you aware of the new free quest coupon and new point bundles? You can get Mists of Ravenloft for 99points until December 31, 2021.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I already have ravenloft(among the 3 discounted, I only don't own The Shadowfell Conspiracy). AS for the game being ""easy"", they just removed the power creep and re balanced the game without the power creep. I hate endless gear farming and difficulty being merely a gear check wall diablo 3 style. Anyway, max level doing early epic level quests with a friends help would't have a hard time.

And I honestly don't wanna a lv cap raise. When DDO launched, the lv cap was 10. Then was raised to 12 and now, is 30.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Me and my friend's power shot through the roof with these new epic destinies. We are at max level now and doing level 23 quests on elite was a breeze. We decided to try level 24 quests on reaper 1 and were able to absolutely shred it. We don't even have named end game gear from the expansions and we were still kicking butt.
Now try it on level with t1-2 skills and core 1.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Now try it on level with t1-2 skills and core 1.
I have no doubt it would be way harder at level. But compared to leveling off destinies that don't benefit your character, which is what I was doing, this is way more power. They did say they rebalanced the earlier epic quests to make up for the fact it doesn't expect you to have a fully maxed out epic destiny at the start of epics.

I really hope they fix and reopen the token of the twelve epic quests soon. I noticed I lost favor cause closing the quests closed the favor too apparently. Those are some of my favourites, so I want to see them open again.

Reinhardt

Arcane
But compared to leveling off destinies that don't benefit your character, which is what I was doing, this is way more power.
You had to level them once and then just go full power on starting from level 20. Now you start every reincarnation with level gated destinies.
And yes - making t5 unlocked at lvl 30 is just plain retarded. You unlock heroic t5 at 12 and can play with your strongest abilities for more than half of your heroic life. Epic t5 you won't even use once if you reincarnate at 30.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Epic t5 you won't even use once if you reincarnate at 30.
They have said they are going to increase the level cap. Though they did say you will still be able to epic reincarnate at level 30. I'm guessing once they raise the level cap there will be a legendary reincarnate? Otherwise the only reason to go past level 30 will be to make legendary quests easier, since legendary quests offer double reaper xp.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Epic t5 you won't even use once if you reincarnate at 30.
They have said they are going to increase the level cap. Though they did say you will still be able to epic reincarnate at level 30. I'm guessing once they raise the level cap there will be a legendary reincarnate? Otherwise the only reason to go past level 30 will be to make legendary quests easier, since legendary quests offer double reaper xp.
So what's the point of epic t5 then? If level cap increases it will bring legendary shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom