Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeons of Dredmor: Realm of the Diggle Gods

• Thread starter Multi-headed Cow
  • Start date

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I got it for 2$ and I think it was worth it to look at his ideas for skills. But it really could have been free. It wasn't because of the art assets, would be my guess.

The thing is, it'd have been better without them. Nobody really plays Rogue-likes for the art assets... Maybe it was supposed to be accessible, but then, nobody really plays TB games like that anymore either. Might as well just have focused on the RL core instead of making "eye candy", something fans would have modded into the game with some kind of tile set hack anyway.

Also ADOM doesn't even have tiles and is still so incredibly intuitive, thanks to the clever use of colors, symbols and the help system. Very beginner friendly - but a very hard game.

And if I really wanted a casual RL with eye-candy I'd just wait for this:

pmdbw2.jpg

DakaSha

Arcane
I think the price is fair. Im not gonna cry about wasting money really. Again i just think that if you want an accessible roguelike why not go for Stone Soup *shrug*

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You wouldn't like it anyway; it's a pseudo-RL for freaks like me.

It's a blurry screenshot of a rumored new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game. Embarrassing, I know, but I can't help myself; I think it's cute.

DakaSha

Arcane
You wouldn't like it anyway; it's a pseudo-RL for freaks like me.

It's a blurry screenshot of a rumored new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game. Embarrassing, I know, but I can't help myself; I think it's cute.

Im actually interested in anything like this because i have a hacked psp and need something roguelike-likeesque for playing at the beach. I think ive tried most shit (or could tell i wouldnt like it)

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
It certainly could be better, and there are better roguelikes out there, like Crawl. I still go back to DoD because, well, I like change and it's nice to play a more simple roguelike once in a while. One thing to keep in mind is that it doesn't try to be the best roguelike ever made, and the devs know that they already got some strong competition and for free. It is clearly aimed at an audience not familiar with roguelikes, but it still has some stuff to offer to those familiar with the genre, like the skill system and a decent challenge at the hardest level. Add to that the terrific sense of humour and nice sprites and it's rather easy to get into it. And let's face it, the price is ridiculously low.

Interestingly enough, while I prefer ASCII in NetHack, I prefer the tiles version of Stone Soup because it's far easier to read ans sports a nice interface as well as cool sprites. In DoD's case, it was made from scratch with the interface and animated sprites, so I doubt converting it to ASCII would be that satisfying, since the graphics espouse the general sense of the humour of the game. If anything, I was a bit rebuked at release that everything was done with the mouse while some things can be done much faster with some keyboard shortcuts, which were added later. Kinda funny when the devs boasted that you wouldn't need to learn obscure keyboard combos to drink a potions while I find that pressing one key is faster than moving the cursor over the screen then pressing it.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
I've spent more hours on roguelikes then I have on any other genre(edit: maybe its a tie with TBS).

Looks like your time could have been spent better then. Just asking people to believe you by fiat isn't terribly convincing of someone with so much knowledge of the genre, poseur.

DakaSha

Arcane
I've spent more hours on roguelikes then I have on any other genre(edit: maybe its a tie with TBS).

Looks like your time could have been spent better then. Just asking people to believe you by fiat isn't terribly convincing of someone with so much knowledge of the genre, poseur.

Yes and claiming im a "poseur" (my my gragt) doest mean i am one... by fiat.. you know? Not to mention you claim exactly the same fucking thing in your post. Terrible bro. Just terrible.

I know how the genre (generally) works and I know how this game compares to it. I'm not going to get into a stupid argument with a butthurt fanboy about the descriptions . If I made you cry I'm sorry

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
All of that because you can't be bothered to note what happens when you eat a mushroom or drink a potion. :D

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I paid less than $2 for the game and the expansion, and I found it to be a fun time waster. This game would be better suited for playing on a tablet.

But you can ignore my opinion, since I'm a casual gamer: I've slept with women.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I bought it when it first came out and haven't played it since, but I wasn't expecting much anyways. I'm hoping it's decent sales (enoguh to warrant an expansion at least) lure some better developers to the genre. It would be nice to see a proper roguelike done with some passable graphics on PC. It's pretty sad that consoles are way ahead in that department (though obviously all the roguelikes there are much more simplistic.)

Multi-headed Cow

Neat! Haven't played much DoD after racking up 20-ish hours since each game of it takes so long. After a while I get sick of beating up diggles on dungeon level 1 again, even with the speedier dungeon/leveling option. Not as good as Nethack for getting through the super early stages quickly. Surely won't turn my nose up at more of it though.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Nice to see although about a month ago I went back and poured a ton of time into so now it's pretty easy for me to kill Dredmor on GRPD. And I agree, even on the shortened mode it still takes hours to do a full run. I can't believe people still play the original/bigger floor maps.

Teepo

Scholar
DoD is just way too slow in general. Even if you master the interface you can only be so fast.

Some of the jokes are alright and the game isn't complete crap but it is so slow and there are so many superior rogue likes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom