Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DX:HR - Worth a replay?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I recently finished Human Revolution, and am a bit underwhelmed by an apparant lack of replayability, compared to the first game or even Invisible War.

Mostly I can detect hardly no narrative branching that would occur. I had a few minor choices but that was it.

The four endings you can pick right at the very end, so I can look at those anytime I want.

In addition trying different builds isn't that viable, since I was able to max out a lot and pretty much everything I wanted, and I didn't even go whoring for sidequests (not that there were that many to start with). Compared to the first game where even if you try to do everything you still have to miss a lot and you're practically guaranteed a different play experience if you pick some different skills for your next playthrough.

One thing they did get right was multiple ways to progress to an objective involving different skills, but that alone does not warrant a replay in my view.

Am I missing something or is this game as sterile as it appears to be?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
A second play isn't a bad idea if you want to explore more gameplay options early on or missed out on stuff the first time. Otherwise, not really. I mean, the game is still fun enough but if the goal is new things to do and see, then I don't think it can compare to the original game (which still has new stuff I discover every time I play it).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I tried, but stopped after a couple of hours. It was good for one play through but there simply isn't enough divergence in narrative and character builds to make it interesting. Unless you want to just play it as a straight up shooter and screw stealth, hacking, etc (which would probably make it pretty boring, quite frankly).

Stinger

Arcane
Last I checked Deus Ex had barely any branching to the storyline, if any at all.

DX1 was worth a replay (or ten) because it had a shitload of alternate paths and secret areas in its level design.

In DXHR you could explore everything in 2 playthroughs. It might be worth a replay if you'd missed some secret areas. But if you took the time to explore everything on your first time around then it's not going to change much in subsequent playthroughs beyond some minor flavour dialogue here and there.

I think the achievements for DXHR is a good indicator of how much of the game you've seen. If you've gotten all the achievements then you've seen everything the game has to offer honestly.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
You can see almost everything on the first playthrough. The minor choices here and there don't change a lot and the story always plays out the same. You can complete the levels in a few different ways but most likely you won't bump into anything you haven't seen before since everything is still pretty linear. Unless you want to try a complete stealth/combat playthrough or something like that, there's probably not much new the game could offer you. There are some nice exceptions, though, like the police station which can play out completely differently depending on whether you win the speech battle or not, so if you're at least a little bit obsessive about these things, it might be worth giving it a shot.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Short answer: Depends how much of an exploration whore you were the first time.

For fuck's sake, if you finished the game already you should be perfectly capable of deciding on your own if you liked it enough to replay it. What kind of a gamer are you anyway if you can't even do that much?

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For fuck's sake, if you finished the game already you should be perfectly capable of deciding on your own if you liked it enough to replay it. What kind of a gamer are you anyway if you can't even do that much?

He's not asking if it's worth just a replay, he wants to know if there are branching story lines that would allow him to explore parts of the game he might have missed. And the general consensus seems to be 'no'.

He's not asking if it's worth just a replay, he wants to know if there are branching story lines that would allow him to explore parts of the game he might have missed. And the general consensus seems to be 'no'.

How about that "I didn't even go whoring for sidequests" line? Seems like those alone might make enough new content for a replay. Anyway, you shouldn't replay games for storyfag reasons, only if you think you'll have fun doing so.

Renegen

Arcane
I'm playing it a second time. My first replay I didn't splerge on everything and get every item or every quest, I tried to build my character in a way that makes sense. So now my replay is more stealthy and trying to take-in the backstory more. It's actually quite good, and definitively worth a replay for the same reasons people play DX1 10 times.

SoupNazi

I played through the leaked demo about 3 times, then the game itself 2 times (once stealth non-lethal storyfag larper, second combatfag). I found it fun and might replay it again later on, but then again I STILL fire up Hitman: Blood Money pretty much every other day and replay one or two of the missions. I just like trying to find new ways to approach a situation and there's plenty of that in DX:HR since usually you can take very different routes, and there's a lot of locations where guards patrol and you can tackle them from different directions etc. I find it fun, though I wish there was a way to skip the story bits and the pointless running around the hubs (which for a second or third playthrough is boring).

Untermensch

Augur
No. Even though it's an above average game, replayability it's not one of its strong points, unlike the first DX.
Maybe after a few years when you forget the levels, and if you don't stop caring about it.

Gord

Arcane
I guess you should be able to decide for yourself.
Of course you can challenge yourself to use a specific playstyle, if you can muster the discipline to do so, i.e. play Rambo when you Ghosted it the first time.
Or play without augs, as has been suggested allready.
There's not much branching or C&C.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Dicksmoker said:
DX:HR - Worth a replay?
Nah. I was actually thinking of replaying the game myself a while ago, but realized that since I've already done a 100% ghost run there isn't anything left to do. The shooting just isn't good enough to be enjoyable on its own.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Replay it. I bet in 2 hours you will quit in disgust. I dare you. Do it. Now.

joeydohn

Savant

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

What's the point in making a sequel to a game where..

all the main characters are dead and nobody in the world knows what happened

Either they'll have to have the same kind of ending as DXHR (which felt like a cop out even though I knew it would happen) or retcon DX lore which they specifically avoided doing the first time around.

You're assuming Jensen and co would be major characters in the sequel.

Though judging by the DLC I'm pretty sure they have plans for Jensen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom