Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dying Light 2 Stay Human - zombie survival with choice & consequence

Codex Year of the Donut
Avellone curse strikes again.
Every project that dropped Avellone after he was accused has become shit.

Old Hans

Arcane

they probably realized real late that the decision to have a bunch of factions with all these big branching choices was dumb. what they should have been doing this entire time was figuring out how to add hundreds of zombies on screen at once with a more aggressive AI that would really make the player scared to leave the safe house and walk on the street

But for some reason they were like "WE NEED BRANCHING STORYLINES AND FACTIONS"

Machocruz

Arcane
Of course one of the few actually good 'popamole' games of the last couple of generations won't be getting the follow up it deserves. The Decline is undefeated.

vota DC

Augur

they probably realized real late that the decision to have a bunch of factions with all these big branching choices was dumb. what they should have been doing this entire time was figuring out how to add hundreds of zombies on screen at once with a more aggressive AI that would really make the player scared to leave the safe house and walk on the street

They can have both just like bannerlord. Anyway the genre Is survival horror, there shouldn't be huge hordes but stronger monsters otherwise It Is FPS.

Generic-Giant-Spider

puts his Techland voodoo doll back under a portrait of Chris Avellone surrounded by candelabra

Flying Dutchman

Learned
"culprit"
lmfao I hate journalists so god damn much

Yep. The writer is Kirk McKsomething, formerly of the high quality site VG24/7 and now head of the high quality news site, The Gamer.

He absolutely sucks and cannot hide his own agendas (then cries for sympathy points online when people respond, apparently).

His agendas are in almost every piece he writes to the point if I see his name on an article, I just skip it because it's exactly what you'd expect.

I'm surprised the idiots let him in the building, but their fault for trying to be transparent.

DeepOcean

Arcane

When those projects go on development hell, it usually isnt about some particular game feature and it is more of a general mismanagement issue, after all, if the problem was a complex faction system, you can just dumb it down until the game is shippable. New Vegas was made on 18 months and it has a faction system. Also, number one criticism of Dyinglight was the shit story, they supposedly hired Avellone to try fix that and a faction system on a zombie post apoc makes sense.

You know, from the what was exposed on the last few years, most of those studios after a few successes, there is a tendency to form an old boy club clique at the top with alot of hubris believing they can do no wrong and it isnt a coincidence that the worst cases of development hell were caused by Bioware magic, CDPR magic and etc beliefs. This lead many teams to keep unworkable designs for too long (what killed Anthem), erratic radical changes midway project (What killed Cyberpunk) and throw away too much incomplete content when the time for cutting comes(what I think will happen here and with Bloodlines 2).

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
These guys are milking the same game for the last 6 years. I'm sure they are not in development hell, they are just naughty and they don't want to release an unfinished game.

Last edited:

typical user

Arbiter
The only thing Dying Light was lacking was choice between the factions. You were always Brecken's lackey and Rais was always dumb crazy. You couldn't join him and have sets of different missions in Slums and Old Town. We also couldn't visit his huge skyscrapper outside story-line missions. The finale was a QTE. I've expected Rais to have some sort of 4x4 with LSW or grenade launcher riding around and shooting constantly or some ballistic gear with minigun and goons with regular guns. But we've got a QTE when the whole industry realized 30-fps console games with such 'gotcha!' challenge in cutscenes was frustrating.

I don't have high hopes for Dying Light 2. I've rewatched their reveal gameplay 4 months ago or something and it's just the same thing like original game. The big thing is multiple factions and story-line choices which can unlock optional areas and enemies. If they deliver at least this and maybe make shooting less janky (I know it wasn't the main focus in the first game in the series, something like an after-thought) then the game will be good.

I am glad they have posted this update video. It's like they are trying to say "yeah no release date, we don't want to cyberpunk our game, but it's still in works, stay tuned and don't send death threats like you did to CDPR".

Paul_cz

Arcane
make shooting less janky

I actually enjoyed the shit outta popping heads with a gun in Dying Light (I am using gun at 4:55 onwards):

Gotta say, rewatching that video, Dying Light was so fucking awesome. In every way when it comes to gameplay and atmosphere. Sure the story was nothing to write home about, but it was competent.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
desktopscreenshot2021htjdg.png

desktopscreenshot2021r3jft.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom