Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dying Light 2 Stay Human - zombie survival with choice & consequence

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
volumetric lighting was known before ray tracing, i wonder why they didnt implement that, the demo from 2019 clearly is using that technique.

So is this any good? It's got mediocre reviews but it's euro jank so maybe Professional Video Game Reviewers™ just don't get it.
it's more polish junk that is being shilled heavily because the entire economy of poland was held up by video game sales and they now risk living in mudhuts after cp2077

Crusty can you stop trolling for a minute? Like go away from PC and change the diaper.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Crusty can you stop trolling for a minute? Like go away from PC and change the diaper.
I'm sorry you'll be forced to live in a mudhut, but we're not buying the garbage game.

average_american_talking_about_online_issues_by_bannedchocolate_ddcqwly-350t.png

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Dude, people fashion IEDs and other type of pipe explosives and weaponry from kitchen supplies. Dozens of piss poor insurgent and terrorist groups fashion that shit out of nothing. It's really not that hard or requires extensive engineering degrees. Hell you can even fashion rudimentary rockets and artillery if you have enough salvage. Gunpowder knowledge has been available from the 12th century. It's like claiming people lost knowledge of agriculture.

you missed his point, which is that precisely manufactured ammo, capable of clean cycling in automatic fire, is not something that a zombie apocalypse earth would see in any significant amounts. it’s not like they don’t have guns and gunpowder, there are rustic shotguns at least; but that’s not anywhere near as demanding as what’s needed to make an M4 fire reliably in full auto.

your example, an ied, by contrast is the equivalent of a sandcastle.

Last edited:

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Dude, people fashion IEDs and other type of pipe explosives and weaponry from kitchen supplies. Dozens of piss poor insurgent and terrorist groups fashion that shit out of nothing. It's really not that hard or requires extensive engineering degrees. Hell you can even fashion rudimentary rockets and artillery if you have enough salvage. Gunpowder knowledge has been available from the 12th century. It's like claiming people lost knowledge of agriculture.

you missed his point, which is that precisely manufactured ammo, capable of cleaning cycling in automatic fire, is not something that a zombie apocalypse earth would see in any significant amounts. it’s not like they don’t have guns and gunpowder, there are rustic shotguns at least; but that’s not anywhere near as demanding as what’s needed to make an M4 fire cleanly in full auto.

your example, an ied, by contrast is the equivalent of a sandcastle.

Now im sure you are a tranny!

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Now im sure you are a tranny!

Hahaha, it was the romanticism of their role in the American Old West that got me interested through their prominence and personality in RDR2, but it's a new thing. Wouldn't have believed you if you told my teen self she'd end up "interested in firearms".

Kinda sucks 'cus in Angloland, where I'm currently stuck, it's hard to find men to talk to about it, nevermind other women. People treat an interest in firearms, even old ones, as some kinda trait of closeted psychopathy. (Beyond any interest in their imagery in pop media, I find it uncomfortable to be among a near entirely disarmed populace.)

TwoEdge

Scholar
Reviews weren't wrong, whoever wrote this cannot conjure proper, natural-sounding dialogue, nor has any decent command of language. Also, facial animations sit at the very bottom of the uncanny valley and are actually worse than in the first game. The gameplay is better than ever, though, and I can't recall the last time I've had this much fun just zipping around the scenery, which is gorgeous, by the way (the ambiance is spot on for what I'd expect from a post-apocalyptic setting, soundtrack included). Combat is quite varied so far, with a few surprises and mixups to keep things interesting, but I'm still too early to judge it properly. Now it's just a matter of when will the core loops start to become too repetitive and if the open world trappings will suck (they usually do). All things considered, I'm having a good time so far, as long as I skip cutscenes fast enough to prevent brain hemorrhage.

Oh, and fuck detective vision, probably the single most idiotic game design choice of modern times.

ADL

Prophet
First impressions: Not going to comment on the story. It's a means to an end for the gameplay and the gameplay is good.

PC-specific technical stuff Runs at my refresh rate (75) without raytracing at 3440x1440 all settings maxed except motion blur. Raytracing on my 6900XT is a lost cause. Raytracing without upscaling seems like it's a lost cause for anyone below the 3080Ti level but if you have a DLSS compatible card, why wouldn't you be using DLSS? The FSR implementation is blurry and looks worse than any other FSR implementation I've seen. Hopefully for AMD/Intel user's sake we get XeSS one day. Lockpicking isn't bad with keyboard+mouse but I've found the keyboard+mouse controls to be inconsistent. Example: E is kick button but the parkour dropkick is stagger enemy with a block, run towards them, hold spacebar, target another enemy and left click. Why isn't it block, run towards them, hold spacebar, target another enemy and E if it's a kick?

Haven't encountered any bugs yet unless you consider some of the clunky navigation in the outskirts tutorial area a bug.

The city is a really nice location and the game looks good in motion. There's a slight cel shaded look to the game that I like. Combat is fun. I haven't noticed the durability system yet which is a good thing because the durability system in the first game was fucking annoying. The parkour system was clearly not made for the outskirts area where you start the game but immediately improves once you get into the city. Honestly they should've cut that part of the game and just had you start in the sewers of the city. Parkour feels good but stuff like sliding, wall running and rolling is locked behind an unnecessary progression system. The main character is a pilgrim meaning he's traveled thousands of kilometers in a world that stopped trying to contain the outbreak. They should've given him everything except the paraglider by default.

My only complaints so far are the parkour progression system and the "Batman vision" where you're constantly hitting Q to scan for loot. Also binoculars scanning for points of interest instead of taking the Breath of the Wild approach of placing the waypoints yourself and letting the player explore is a missed opportunity.
hK3qeol.jpeg

From a gameplay and technical perspective I'd give it a 9/10. It's Dying Light with a more interesting setting and some choice/consequence stuff I haven't seen firsthand yet.

Last edited:

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Pretty balanced review from Skillup. Won't be playing it myself for a week or two; hopefully by then the patches, alongside DLSS and a 3090, will make it run okay despite ray-tracing being enabled.

Also, reminder it's more like a AA game than AAA. Techland are self-publishing, and that means outlets like IGN don't have to worry about the consequences of pissing them off. Would've figured more people would be sceptical when it comes to the games equivalent of CNN, especially when it comes to a technically indie title like this. At the very least they've no cause to pull their punches like they usually do for games with a serious budget. I'm a huge storyfag and I still loved the original Dying Light for the gameplay alone. Can't imagine it being that bad with how big an improvement the parkour and combat are reported to be. ^^

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
So got this. Playing it while high is yielding some strange results. Gameplay seems somewhat improved from the previous game.

My main complaints so far is the lengthy dialogue sessions that hold very little value (generic as it gets) and the graphics appear to be very downgraded from the trailers (and in-game cutscenes). Changing the video settings and upscaling doesn't appear to make it better.

The downgrade is real but the real problem is the story.

So what's the issue with the story?

So far the story is just generic zombie shlock that outstays its welcome. Not the worst thing in the world, I would go so far as to say it's serviceable, but long winded (especially the first few hours).

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
So got this. Playing it while high is yielding some strange results. Gameplay seems somewhat improved from the previous game.
Gameplay is better than in the first one I only have 1 parkour skill unlocked and I played dying light 1 just before release to compare. Even without any additional skills parkour feels great and the dynamic music they implemented that builds up as you do more parkour combos make me want to parkour even more. I just unlocked the open world and spent 1h only doing parkour to test it out. You can also tell they have much more parkour animations than in the first game gonna play co op with my friend tommorow because this is what I bought this game for.

ADL

Prophet
Holy fucking shit the survivor faction in this game is so unlikable, I have a feeling everyone will be siding with the 'fascist' Peacekeepers.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
(the ambiance is spot on for what I'd expect from a post-apocalyptic setting, soundtrack included).

That's a relief, I was super disappointed when I heard Pawel Blaszczak wasn't returning for DL2's soundtrack. His 80s horror-inspired darksynth work for the original Dying Light was subtle and beautiful and terrifying, and quietly (hah) one of the original game's strongest aspects.

Holy fucking shit the survivor faction in this game is so unlikable, I have a feeling everyone will be siding with the 'fascist' Peacekeepers.

Without spoiling anything, how come?

Alphons

Cipher

Slight spoiler, the way you meet both factions.

Fascist Peacekeepers get you into a damp interrogation room and ask some questions.
Friendly Survivors greet you with a rope and try to lynch you at Bazaar.

ADL

Prophet
I was willing to forgive the spoiler given the context but there's a brother and sister duo that become the face of the survivor faction and the brother is a dipshit asshole fuck up black sheep of the family sort of character that's completely irredeemable
and I haven't gotten the opportunity to kill him yet as much as I want to.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/534380/view/3101293725658177382

Dying Light 2 Stay Human is live! Day One Patch information

Dear gamers,

Dying Light 2 Stay Human is now available for everyone to explore after being in development for seven years. For the past months, we were polishing and improving the game to make it ready for launch day. More than a thousand fixes and tweaks were implemented onto the PC builds since the media review process started. Below, you will find a snapshot of these improvements.

We can’t wait to hear what you, our gamers, think about the Dying Light 2 Stay Human. This is only the beginning—as mentioned, we have at least five years of support ahead of us.

On behalf of all People Of Techland,
Thank you for supporting us!

FIXES for PATCH DAY1:
  • Fixed the Broadcast infinite respawn story block
  • Fix for dialogues that block story progression
  • Re-signing to the coop session doesn't fail in case the user is logged in
  • Fixed crash when handling electrical parts to Carlos in Bazaar
  • Fixed problems with temporarily lowering the difficulty level - improved adaptive difficulty for AIs
  • Fixed crash caused by background renderer during the transition between menu and loading screens
  • Increased Wwise overall memory limit - fix for missing sounds and voice-over
  • Resolved problems with objects and AI sinking into the ground on a flat surface.
  • DLSS enabled. Improved default DLSS sharpness.
  • Fix for AI sometimes freezing/becoming immortal when the owner changes during death
  • Fixed the gamepad isn't detected by the game before any movement or action will be conducted using a keyboard or mouse
  • Added protection against potential crashes.
  • Updates for ES, CH; DE intro.
  • Added missing game actions fixing the game's unresponsiveness.
  • Fixed streamer mode option that (was not working properly).
  • Fixed crash on opening the secondary screen.
  • Fixed disconnecting coop sessions after a certain amount of time.

And many more…

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
No wonder Avellone was happy to tell everyone he has nothing to do with the game. No way he'd want that on his resume.

Gameplay's awesome though.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Can you complete the game without joining any faction?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom