Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

E3 2018 - Official Codex Thread - June 9th to 14th - Press Conferences, Trailers and Interviews

RapineDel

Augur
Who's Devolver Digital?

They publish a lot of indie games and some slightly bigger games like Shadow Warrior 2013. How they get their own conference is beyond me especially when a lot of their games aren't ported to console which will surely cause further outrage.

Martius

Liturgist
That "conference" was more of joke than real thing beyond few small announcements. Probably it will be same thing this year.

Gerrard

Arcane
I wonder if Bethesda and CDPR were outbidding each other for the huge billboards on the building.

When I saw you quoted me, I knew it was also you who gave me the retard rating. DMC4 is half-assed. It's obvious they rushed it out at the end, after probably struggling with the new hardware (PS3).

https://devilmaycry.org/threads/dmc-4-was-incomplete.19778/

Deciding on one character would have helped. Two just gave them an excuse for some of the worst backtracking in gaming, an excuse to be lazy.
Yeah, but when Nier Automata made you play the same shit twice, then it's fucking genius, right?

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, Devolver games are awesome and I'm looking forward to their conference. Shit on them all!

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Stole this from ResetEra, because why not?
timetable3gu96.png

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Konami
https://mp1630k065.mapyourshow.com/7_0/exhibitor/exhibitor-details.cfm?ExhID=4XTDjeQv

XSEED
https://gematsu.com/2018/06/xseed-games-announces-e3-2018-lineup
Fate/Extella Link (PS4, Vita)
Freedom Planet (Switch)
Gal Metal (Switch)
Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (PS4, PC, still in development)
Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal (PS4, PC)

SEGA Atlus
https://gematsu.com/2018/06/sega-an...ounced-june-7-and-catherine-full-body-trailer
  • Two new Atlus titles being announced on June 7
  • Shining Resonance Refrain (PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC) – With a favorite playable demo on the show floor is Shining Resonance Refrain, which marks the return of the Shining series to the West after a decade. This demo will also be available for everyone at home by the time doors open! The western release of the original Shining Resonance, previously a Japanese exclusive, Shining Resonance Refrain is an action RPG with characters designed by the legendary Tony Taka, including all DLCs and a brand new “Refrain Mode,” unlocking more characters than ever before.
  • Team Sonic Racing (PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC) – The Blue Blur is speeding into E3 with never-before-seen content from the recently announced multiplayer racing experience, Team Sonic Racing. Created in partnership with the award-winning studio Sumo Digital, Team Sonic Racing combines the best elements of arcade and fast-paced competitive style racing with nostalgic characters and environments from across the Sonic Universe. E3 attendees will be among the first to jump in the driver’s seat and play as Sonic, Shadow, Tails and other fan favorite characters in exhilarating single and multiplayer game modes. And don’t forget to check out the super-chic, limited-edition PUMA X SEGA RS-0 Sonic and Dr. Eggman shoe collaboration which will be on display throughout the show!
  • Valkyria Chronicles 4 (PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – On to the line-up then with watercolor-style tactical/strategy game Valkyria Chronicles 4. Come by the booth and follow Squad E of the Federation in their fight against the Empire! They’ll ultimately face bone-chilling blizzards, waves of imperial soldiers, and the godlike powers of the Valkyria – featuring larger maps than ever before – and E3 attendees will be able to experience the opening stage of the game.
  • Yakuza: Kiwami 2 (PS4) – It’s been a full year since Kazuma Kiryu took his leave from the world of the Yakuza during the events of Yakuza: Kiwami, but he returns in top form with Yakuza: Kiwami 2 as Sega proudly presents one of the most beloved storylines in the franchise’s history, remade in full HD in the Dragon Engine for PlayStation 4. Featuring the return of mini games like Cabaret, a revamped clan creator and the original arcade release of Virtual-On, Kazuma Kiryu will have plenty of leisure activities when he isn’t taking on his fierce rival, the Dragon of Kansai, Ryuji Goda.

More at links.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Abu Antar "Limited Run", who the heck is that? I guess Devolver opened the floodgates for this silliness.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Infinitron Limited Run does physical releases of digital only PlayStation Vita and PlayStation 4 games. Bought a game or two.
https://limitedrungames.com/

Sony will stop printing Vita game cards soon, they are transitioning to Switch/PS4. I do think they've done one PC game.

That "conference" was more of joke than real thing beyond few small announcements. Probably it will be same thing this year.

They'll actually have some real announcement to go along with it this year. They've talked about how in hindsight it was kind of stupid of them to also not show off upcoming releases they had then, and the press release for the new one does say it'll actually have announcements this time around.

Ash

Arcane
When I saw you quoted me, I knew it was also you who gave me the retard rating. DMC4 is half-assed. It's obvious they rushed it out at the end, after probably struggling with the new hardware (PS3).

Deciding on one character would have helped. Two just gave them an excuse for some of the worst backtracking in gaming, an excuse to be lazy. Some of the enemies were also designed with Nero's arm in mind, so there are a lot of them you have to jump up repeatedly to reach or have to wait for (the sharks) when you're playing as Dante. Not fun. It's a weak sequel.

Lol I got ganked by three tards in one of these hack and slash threads for claiming as much. "DMC4 has the best gameplay in the series", they counter-claimed. riiight, gameplay wherein much of the interactive content is lazily copy-pasted...yeah, no.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
E3 Coliseum schedule: https://www.e3expo.com/coliseum

Possible Codex interests and potential lulz:

TUESDAY, JUNE 12

12:15PM
Interactive Magic with Penn Jillette and Randy Pitchford
Penn Jillette, Magician – Penn & Teller
Randy Pitchford, President – Gearbox

E3Coliseum2018_PennGilette470-300x150.png

Magic and gaming have more in common than you would think! Join magician Penn Jillette (Penn & Teller) and Gearbox’s Randy Pitchford as they discuss the unexpected intersection of illusion, magic, VR, and gaming.

1:45PM
The Future of Narrative
Amy Hennig, Writer/Director

E3Coliseum2018_Hennig470-300x150.png

A conversation about telling stories in today’s video games – and where it’s going in the future.

3:00PM
Hideo Kojima in Conversation with Jordan Vogt-Roberts
Hideo Kojima, President – Kojima Productions
Jordan Vogt-Roberts, Director – Kong: Skull Island

E3Coliseum2018_Kojima470-300x150.png

Last year, Hideo Kojima discussed his deep encyclopedic knowledge of film and the deep influence cinema has had on his work. It was a one-on-one conversation led by Kong: Skull Island director, Jordan Vogt-Roberts. This year they return for a follow up that shifts the focus toward the creative process. We will focus with specificity on how Kojima-san has pushed boundaries in staging action, camera movement, creating mood, writing dialogue and directing performance.

4:00PM
The Making of Fallout 76
Todd Howard, Designer/Director/Producer – Bethesda Game Studios
Danny O’Dwyer, Creator – NoClip

34131820_10155507493388015_7510856193825308672_n.jpg

Join Todd Howard, Game Director at Bethesda Game Studios, and Danny O’Dwyer, creator of Noclip, for the live premiere of Noclip’s behind the scenes documentary into the development of Fallout 76. After the screening, participate in a live Q&A session with Todd and Danny on the creation of the documentary, The Making of Fallout 76, and the future of BGS. Moderated by Geoff Keighley.

6:00PM
Grim Fandango
Alan Blumenfeld, Actor
Tony Plana, Actor
Jim Ward, Actor
Tim Schafer, President – Double Fine Productions
Maria Canals-Barrera, Actor
Patrick Dollaghan, Actor

E3Coliseum2018_GrimFandango470-300x150.png

20 years ago Tim Schafer’s Grim Fandango released and became an instant classic of the adventure genre. At E3, the cast reunites for a one-night-only live reading of select scenes, live music from composer Peter McConnell, and more surprises!

sullynathan

Arcane

Deciding on one character would have helped. Two just gave them an excuse for some of the worst backtracking in gaming, an excuse to be lazy. Some of the enemies were also designed with Nero's arm in mind, so there are a lot of them you have to jump up repeatedly to reach or have to wait for (the sharks) when you're playing as Dante. Not fun. It's a weak sequel.

Lol I got ganked by three tards in one of these hack and slash threads for claiming as much. "DMC4 has the best gameplay in the series", they counter-claimed. riiight, gameplay wherein much of the interactive content is lazily copy-pasted...yeah, no.
Everyone knows DMC 4 is incomplete dumbass. It still has the best hack and slash combat made though.

Wonder if Capcom will be showing off Deep Down? Forgot they extended their trademark on it a couple days ago. Last it popped up was a couple years ago in a Japanese company presentation video they did (although the video seems to no longer be available on YouTube) which showed it being worked on still.

Ash

Arcane
Everyone knows DMC 4 is incomplete dumbass. It still has the best hack and slash combat made though.

Even if you believe that to be the case, that's just the combat alone. ONE component that makes up the gameplay experience in full. Other aspects relevant to DMC include level design, controls (in or out of combat), replayability, challenge, platforming, puzzles, minor resource management, bonus stages, minor character progression and so on and on.
When someone says "this has mediocre gameplay" they are referring to the full package overall, as a whole. Not specifically the combat. Otherwise they would have specified just combat. Dumbass.

sullynathan

Arcane

Even if you believe that to be the case, that's just the combat alone. ONE component that makes up the gameplay experience in full. Other aspects relevant to DMC include level design, controls (in or out of combat), replayability, challenge, platforming, puzzles, minor resource management, bonus stages, minor character progression and so on and on.
When someone says "this has mediocre gameplay" they are referring to the full package overall, as a whole. Not specifically the combat. Otherwise they would have specified just combat. Dumbass.
the controls in and out of the combat are still the best in the series. these games didn't have resource management outside of collecting red orbs, character progression was slightly better than DMC 3 due to not having styles be "use them until they level up" instead you used your orbs to level them up. Platforming in all the DMC games suck, DMC 4 luckily doesn't have much of it but the series would be better without it.
The combat itself is great and a large amount of the gameplay is also fine, it's the completely repeated manner due to having to replay nearly the entire game backwards as Dante.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Anyways, place your bets for:

# of remakes/likely butcheries of classics (I count 6 already, and that was from looking at a list of 12 games that was shown to me. Sony's lineup).
# of battle royale'd franchises.
# of games that actually look promising.
# of cringy publisher presentation scripts written by late thirties marketing cultists trying to be cool and down with the kids.
# of hardcore casuals in the audience ("hardcore casuals" = people that play casual games with hardcore enthusiasm and/or frequency, or faked enthusiasm and frequency until they set their eyes upon the next shiny pos AAA shoved down their throats).
# of false advertising.
# of times Microsoft say "TV".
# of VR games
# of epic cinematic trailers that show absolutely no gameplay and are trying desperately hard to be "mature".

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
E3 predictions:

http://www.pointandclickbait.com/2018/06/e3-2018-predictions/

It looks like it’s going to be another great year for E3 reveals! We’ve been compiling all of the leaks and all of the rumours, and we’re quite confident that this is what’s going to happen. Let’s check back next week and see how we did!

Electronic Arts
  • Anthem will finally be revealed, with a new gameplay trailer where a giant robot hunts a fleeing loot box through a beautiful post-apocalyptic jungle. The presentation will go extremely well, up until it becomes clear the person speaking has run out of ways to avoid using the word ‘Destiny’ on stage, at which point they will fake their own death.
  • To save time this year, all the EA Sports franchises will be amalgamated together. EA will proudly announce the new installment of Basketfootsoccerhockeyball 19, which will allow them to “focus resources more effectively.” All of the players from the four various franchises will also be revealed to have been amalgamated into a terrifying army of flesh golems. Andrew Wilson will not take questions.
  • Fifteen indie developers will be dropped onto stage from a net suspended in the ceiling. One of them will be chosen to have their cute little game published by Electronic Arts, while the others will be herded into the back of a van. The winner will be given five minutes to make a slightly confused speech about how their creative vision really aligns with that of EA, which Andrew Wilson will judge out of 10.
  • It’s time to learn more about Battlefield 5. The narrative single-player campaign will get a fancy new trailer, starring the female soldier from the released cover art. A leaked scene will show the soldier grimly carving the female symbol into all of her bullets, before the words ‘WAR IS WOKE’ blast over the top of the screen. EA will reveal that it would be a terrible shame if you upset GamerGate supporters by pre-ordering two copies each.
  • Right at the end of the conference, EA will show the Star Wars logo briefly, followed by the words “Battle Royale”. The audience will begin screaming. One man will lunge at another man and bite off his ear. Police will turn water cannons on the crowd. Andrew Wilson will not take questions.
Ubisoft
  • Aisha Tyler will open the presentation by revealing the first ever gameplay footage from Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey. She will pause and rewind all of the cutscenes which feature attractive young Greek men kissing each other, insisting that the audience watch them over and over again “just to be sure”. The presentation will last for 27 hours.
  • We should get our first look at The Division 2. Two staff members from Ubisoft Massive will introduce the game, and then stand quietly to the side while a team of trained performers take over and pretend to be playing it live. The pre-prepared banter between the demo crew will be so cringeworthy that one of the Massive developers will have a stroke and need to be hospitalised.
  • The announcement of a Rainbow Six Siege esports league will be met by a confused and baffled silence. Aisha Tyler will get out a whiteboard and write the word ‘esports’ on it, underlining it several times and even circling it for good measure. One person in the audience will loudly say “Which FarCry is this?” just loud enough for the microphone to pick it up. Things will get really awkward after that.
  • Ubisoft will very excitedly announce some fucking weird as hell creative and touching game that they have no business publishing. “Loving that,” Aisha will say, after the trailer. “Wow! Emotions! Colours! That’s what I’m talking about.”
  • A rebooted Splinter Cell will be revealed, with a brief trailer that looks a lot like Uncharted but with guard vision cones. Michael Ironside will accidentally walk onto the stage through a side exit, wave hesitantly at the crowd, and then drive away. It will not be related to the game.
Bethesda
  • Fallout 76 will be revealed in its full glory, and that’s right folks: it’s a battle royale game but there are only 76 people in each map, rather than 100. A restless crowd will begin angrily demanding that Bethesda do something more to make the game stand out, but will be soothed by Todd Howard who will promise them that it comes with $5 in store credit to use on community created hats.
  • We should also hear from Avalanche studios about Rage 2. To celebrate the reveal of the game, Avalanche Studios founder Christofer Sundberg has promised to “drink a whole can of fluorescent pink paint on stage”. Bethesda’s Pete Hines, who was actually just calling Sundberg to ask if he was free for drinks, has given his cautious approval to the unsolicited offer.
  • To celebrate the launch of new DLC for Prey, former game director and Arkane Studios founder Raphael Colantonio will be brought out of retirement, where he will be given a pistol and instructed to pick out three members of the audience who he believes are mimics.
Microsoft
  • Microsoft will exclusively unveil Red Dead Redemption 2, which will be exclusive to the Xbox One for an amount of time, unless Sony does.
  • Phil Spencer will unveil the next stage of the Microsoft “Play Anywhere” system, tentatively titled “Play Everywhere“. Players will be unable to stop playing for any reason, compelled beyond even death by nanites in the bloodstream.
  • You want first party games? We got ’em. Forza Horizon 4 is a guaranteed announcement, with Microsoft likely to promise “even more of the boxes that make you go zoom”. “Stripe one, blue one and shiny one,” a confused Phil Spencer will gurgle helplessly.
  • Microsoft are also expected to expand their plans for PC/Xbox cross platform play, announcing a new feature for Windows 10 that turns any PC game into a Battle Royale game by flooding it with 99 more random Xbox One players.
Sony
  • Sony will exclusively unveil Red Dead Redemption 2, a new title exclusive to the PlayStation 4 for an amount of time, unless Microsoft does.
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 will make an appearance, along with Destiny 2. Some bigwig at Activision who you have never heard of but could buy and sell you like cattle will tell you that engagement metrics are off the chart, and offer you their business card. Christ. Look at the subtle off-white colouring. The tasteful thickness of it.
  • The Last Of Us Part 2 and Days Gone will get new trailers, although nobody will be able to tell which one is which until the logos appear. Somebody is going to be disappointed.
  • The word ‘Bloodborne‘ will appear on the screen. The crowd will whip themselves into a frenzy and begin tearing each other apart in an effort to get to the stage. Panicking, the Sony showrunner will skip to the next slide, revealing that it’s a VR remake. It’s too late. The crowd crashes against the barrier like a human tidal wave, flattening Sony’s chief of staff and picking the flesh from his bones before gnawing through the wall and escaping into the ocean.
  • Hideo Kojima will hurl black goo at the audience, shouting “This is Death Stranding! This is the game! We are playing it now!” Nobody will stop him for a full hour. Eventually he will wear himself out and go to sleep under a chair.
What do you think we’ll see? Let’s all tune in and find out!

I would actually play that EA Sports game.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
  • We should get our first look at The Division 2. Two staff members from Ubisoft Massive will introduce the game, and then stand quietly to the side while a team of trained performers take over and pretend to be playing it live. The pre-prepared banter between the demo crew will be so cringeworthy that one of the Massive developers will have a stroke and need to be hospitalised.

Oh god. Most of these bulletpoints were exaggerated to extremes. This one is just so accurate and real. Well, aside from any hospitalisation I guess. I cringed as imagery of previous E3 acts just like this filled my mind.

Gerrard

Arcane
it didn't even cross my mind that ubisoft could/would reboot splinter cell
I think people started seriously suspecting this after the Sam Fisher mission in Wildlands, along all the other reboots Ubisoft is so fond of these days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom