Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eador Genesis

Fray

Novice
Fair enough. Right now though I'm more interested in seeing how much work it'd be to make some smallish tweaks than the whole game.

Fair enough. Right now though I'm more interested in seeing how much work it'd be to make some smallish tweaks than the whole game.

When you make your tweaks, please make the provinces larger and fewer. The "province dance" is one of the few things i don't like about Eador. Thanks, bye.

bavarian kid

Educated
bavarian kid

So New Horizons and the unofficial patch that was mentioned earlier, they have access to the source code? I'm just wondering if it would be possible to take a look at it at some point. (Not those necessarily but just the base game.) Do you know how they got it?
To the best of my knowledge, New Horizons Team got the source code directly from the developer himself. Maybe you are able to contact the dev by using forum tools - IIRC Adrageron is a member in this great forum:D. As an alternate route you may wish to contact eador.com forum admin Arkitekt holkin.arkitekt(at)gmail.com for further advice.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I looked only into original game, not Steam 3D bugfest.
Look into text files, there is a lot of stuff you can change possibly with disastrous results because there are also hardcoded limits in exe, and you'd need to find correct address and hack it. But you can disable stuff easily, or alter leveling up/skill per level. I tried to add larger vision range for fortresses and higher fortifications, but there was a hardcoded limit, so no 3 hexes view range.

When you make your tweaks, please make the provinces larger and fewer. The "province dance" is one of the few things i don't like about Eador. Thanks, bye.
Create smaller shard.

bavarian kid

Educated
Update: New Russian version of NH (16.0901) has been released http://www.eador.com/B2/viewtopic.php?p=282127#282127.

- An additional school of magic has been added
JDHVdg.jpg

- Traps and barriers on the battelfield add strategic depth
- New ability "Backstab"
- Necromancer unit got some extra summoning spells for elite undead

School of Nature: Spells and Rituals
m91dfM.jpg

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Some of those icons look uncannily familiar, two are from HoMM4, one from WC3 and one from WoW ;d

Anyway, Eador is like 1 euro on GOG atm, is it worth playing? What should I get, Genesis or Masters of the Broken World?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Some of those icons look uncannily familiar, two are from HoMM4, one from WC3 and one from WoW ;d

Anyway, Eador is like 1 euro on GOG atm, is it worth playing? What should I get, Genesis or Masters of the Broken World?
Genesis is a wonderful game, but I would stay clear of Broken World if I were you. It should have been called Broken Game, because it is a bugfest.

Lacrymas

Arcane
J_C, yeah, I found out that it's a bugfest, but some people are saying that those things are patched now? I do prefer 2D graphics anyway.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
J_C, yeah, I found out that it's a bugfest, but some people are saying that those things are patched now? I do prefer 2D graphics anyway.
To tell you the truth I didn't follow the remake in the lest few months, maybe it got patched, I dunno.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Got through the tutorial, I liked what I saw, though there was something odd - I forgot (or simply wasn't paying attention) that the wizard (I was a wizard as well) guy gave me specific buildings to build, so I conquered everything before the pop-up came up to remind me. After he gave me the quest to kill the other lord I went over to kill him, but he had an enormous army of knights and bowmen, so I had to constantly die and keep going back to my keep for more units to slowly chip at his units. Is that normal or he built a huge army because I took so long to build the buildings to continue the main quest?

Kayerts

Arcane
Lacrymas - You're playing Genesis, right? It might be normal. The AI shouldn't be able to get knights in the tutorial, but it can definitely get a large pile of units. (Did you perhaps mean some other unit than knights? Knights have horses and can 1/2-shot most of the units you can build.)

You can gain experience and items by exploring provinces, which will make you stronger for the final battle.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Kayerts, yeah, they weren't knights as in the unit that is called "knight", just heavily armored soldiers, I didn't get their official name. He got a lot of armored sword and board and spearman (armored) units, with bowmen on the side. I just had to throw my very weak in comparison units at him until I chipped their health enough. It was very weird running back to my stronghold (demesne?) after each death to throw more units at him. I'm talking about Genesis, yeah.

Last edited:

Old One

Arcane
I just had to throw my very weak in comparison units at him until I chipped their health enough. It was very weird running back to my stronghold (demesne?) after each death to throw more units at him.
You took too long.

In Eador, you always, always want to limit your opponents' growth potential by walling them off ASAP. The AI expands super fast, and gets free province garrison upkeep, and if you let it get too big it will become completely unmanageable.

Kill your enemies ASAP. If you can't kill them, wall them off ASAP. Conquering every province is an unnecessary waste of time that will get you killed, especially on bigger maps.

If you want to conquer every province, reduce one of your enemies to a single province, wall it off with forts, and then take your time.

Kayerts

Arcane
As an alternative to Old One's strategy, you can try leveling up your hero to the point where he becomes unstoppable, which works best with warriors. (Solo warriors, properly geared, can win every battle in the game. Requires a surprisingly deep understanding of the game to pull off.) With this strat, you generally want to delay contact with the AI until you're confident you can steamroll him. (Because when you have neighboring provinces, higher-difficulty AIs tend inevitably toward war, and you usually want to make sure that your warrior is a true legion-killer before you get into a war. Losing provinces to higher-difficulty AIs is bad because their unlimited free high-level guard contracts make them very difficult to dislodge. So it's better to avoid contact altogether.)

ArchAngel

Arcane
I just had to throw my very weak in comparison units at him until I chipped their health enough. It was very weird running back to my stronghold (demesne?) after each death to throw more units at him.
You took too long.

In Eador, you always, always want to limit your opponents' growth potential by walling them off ASAP. The AI expands super fast, and gets free province garrison upkeep, and if you let it get too big it will become completely unmanageable.

Kill your enemies ASAP. If you can't kill them, wall them off ASAP. Conquering every province is an unnecessary waste of time that will get you killed, especially on bigger maps.

If you want to conquer every province, reduce one of your enemies to a single province, wall it off with forts, and then take your time.
And this is why I quit playing this game few years back. It is not fun to play it this way. I want to play HoMM like games like I play HoMM, clear everything to get good loot and units and then fight enemy heroes/castles. It is not fun otherwise.

The "province dance" as I like to call it, is a big problem for sure. The lack of vision makes it hard to predict when and where the enemy will come, and it's often too expensive, and takes too many turns to hire guards and build defensives.

And once the enemy breaks through your front line provinces, it's frustrating having to chase a hero, and try to predict which region he we take next.

Old One

Arcane
And this is why I quit playing this game few years back. It is not fun to play it this way.
I understand. It's one of my few complaints about Eador.

There are many, many fun things about the game, like exploring provinces to find interesting sites, levelling up your heroes, collecting spells, questing, and forging alliances with the non-human races. It can be hard to enjoy those things because you'll lose if you don't focus at all times on destroying your enemies before they destroy you.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You took too long.

And this is why I quit playing this game few years back. It is not fun to play it this way. I want to play HoMM like games like I play HoMM, clear everything to get good loot and units and then fight enemy heroes/castles. It is not fun otherwise.
I wasn't playing on the highest difficulty, but I found that was generally my strategy with warriors. I think it worked well enough with the ranger/warrior hybrid as well. There are only a handful of things in the game that are a real threat to a high level dude with a sword. Mages seem a lot more reliant on troops, but a warrior can just plow into anything smaller than a tarrasque, and rangers can basically alpha strike anything that could hurt them before it crosses the map.

bavarian kid

Educated

There are many, many fun things about the game, like exploring provinces to find interesting sites, levelling up your heroes, collecting spells, questing, and forging alliances with the non-human races. It can be hard to enjoy those things because you'll lose if you don't focus at all times on destroying your enemies before they destroy you.
If you guys want to enjoy site exploration, questing, and forging alliances without getting hassled by pesky enemy heroes I recommend
  • colossal map
  • difficulty overlord for player (site exploration gets interesting, province defenders get serious)
  • only one passive enemy (e.g. Oinor), difficulty easy (basically means "AI off")
Gives a quality role-playing experience;)

Kayerts

Arcane

If you guys want to enjoy site exploration, questing, and forging alliances without getting hassled by pesky enemy heroes I recommend
  • colossal map
  • difficulty overlord for player (site exploration gets interesting, province defenders get serious)
  • only one passive enemy (e.g. Oinor), difficulty easy (basically means "AI off")

I've never tried this, but shouldn't you try two passive enemies instead? Since if you only have one, they automatically declare war on you, I mean.

There are only a handful of things in the game that are a real threat to a high level dude with a sword.

Agreed. I took out a lair with seven dragons in it with a solo warrior, though (a) he had multiple truly ridiculous items and (b) fights like that still work better if you've got some chaff to absorb the initial onslaught while you pick off a few targets.

Just trying a run with a Warrior. I've never really tried them, since I've always thought them kind of boring compared to Wizards and Commanders.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Yeah, playing the modded version I'd occasionally find some stuff a solo warrior couldn't handle, but throwing in even 3-4 militia turned the fights into a total joke. The only thing the warrior was truly screwed against was the behemoth/tarrasque enemies, which are just godly in melee and can really only be fought by kiting them. Some of the annoying illusion based enemies were tricky as well, but could be handled with equipment swapping and some careful play.

I don't find the battles themselves that interesting with the warrior, but theorycrafting out whether or not you can win the fight beforehand definitely is. Lots of interesting factors come into play.

bavarian kid

Educated
  • colossal map

I've never tried this, but shouldn't you try two passive enemies instead? Since if you only have one, they automatically declare war on you, I mean.

If you have fog of war disabled, it is always war.
If you have fog of war enabled, IIRC there is only a declaration of war and AI agression if your enemy can "see" you. If you set enemy lord AI to easy, usually AI will not make it outside a 4 ring radius around the main castle. Bottom line - if you play map size "colossal":) you can basically ignore the AI player. But please feel free to experiment with settings to find your perfect game experience :cool:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom