Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Edge Of Eternity

VonMiskov

Educated
Played for 5 hours, some thoughts:

- Everything feels like shitty singleplayer MMO. Side quests are practically run to place z, kill Y x times, loot flowers and other shit from maps and so on. Boring and unoriginal.
- No likable characters so far and MC seems retarded. Dialogue is also comically bad.
- No customization for characters, equipment and crystal system / crafting feels pointless. Might be too early to say if there are more customization later in the game.
- Mana and HP restore fully after each encounter so random encounters are really pointless difficulty wise (no resource management) . At least you can run past random encounters quite easily.
- Combat on hard (second hardest difficulty) is way too easy going to test nightmare for now.

Think I'm going to try another 5 hours but most likely not going to finish this game.
Don't forget the next gen uncanny valley character faces/heads...

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

- Everything feels like shitty singleplayer MMO. Side quests are practically run to place z, kill Y x times, loot flowers and other shit from maps and so on. Boring and unoriginal.
- No likable characters so far and MC seems retarded. Dialogue is also comically bad.
- No customization for characters, equipment and crystal system / crafting feels pointless. Might be too early to say if there are more customization later in the game.
- Mana and HP restore fully after each encounter so random encounters are really pointless difficulty wise (no resource management) . At least you can run past random encounters quite easily.
- Combat on hard (second hardest difficulty) is way too easy going to test nightmare for now.

Think I'm going to try another 5 hours but most likely not going to finish this game.

Ah that sounds like they didn't improve it at all. I was dumb enough to put an hour into the early access.
Did they at least fix the retardedly low stamina on the sprint button? So much MMO-esque busywork with collecting flowers and shit while you could only jog a few meters before tapping out.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron

Ah that sounds like they didn't improve it at all. I was dumb enough to put an hour into the early access.
Did they at least fix the retardedly low stamina on the sprint button? So much MMO-esque busywork with collecting flowers and shit while you could only jog a few meters before tapping out.

Yeah there is a stamina (or more precisely energy) bar but it lasts like an hour if you are sprinting. It also gets reduced if your character dies but it is very generous.

Also I played 1 hour more and think I'm at my limit going to skip this piece of trash game

Lhynn

Arcane
Started playing it last night, and it is in fact pretty decent. You can tell at a glance its how "Westerners would make a jrpg". The systems have that flavor, but are too simple. The UI has that flavor, but its too ugly and cheap looking. The world is a corridor, but it looks too static and gamey even considering that., most jrpgs are good at making the world at least seem dynamic. All in all it looks to be made by complete amateurs.

Combat is decent, i like having missions in it for extra rewards, havent checked for animation speed, hope theres a slider or something. The writing seems to be pretty alright, adheres to jrpg tropes but at least when i closed the game i was itching to know where it was all heading.

These are just some preliminary thoughts, there seems to be quite a lot more to the game.

Lhynn

Arcane
Alright, after playing a bit more i can say its complete shit.

I was interested in the story of the war and what would happen after. Instead we get saddled with THE SISTER, a mary sue who everyone bows down to, who only cartoony villains dislike, who was and is the best at everything, who saved the MCs life from a giant monster when they were kids, who always has a witty retort. When the MC is with her he becomes this whiny cunt that just wont stop trying to be edgy. And we are in a looong quest to find her mentor, so everything is about her and her upbringing.

The combat is awful, the camera is just plain retarded, even in the "tactical mode" we dont get a clear view of the battlefield. Fights are repetitive and enemies have bloated hp pools. The save system is pants on head retarded, old final fantasy check point system for a 2021 pc game is completely unnecessary and adds nothing to the experience. Game hung up on me and i lost an hour of progress.

The game is about running around in big, empty maps collecting resources and completing quests before going back to the npc that gave them, clear all quests and move on with the main story to the next map. The crafting system is generic garbage that detracts from exploration merely by existing.

All in all a 2/10
Do not go near this shit

Lincolnberry

Educated
Alright, after playing a bit more i can say its complete shit.

I was interested in the story of the war and what would happen after. Instead we get saddled with THE SISTER, a mary sue who everyone bows down to, who only cartoony villains dislike, who was and is the best at everything, who saved the MCs life from a giant monster when they were kids, who always has a witty retort. When the MC is with her he becomes this whiny cunt that just wont stop trying to be edgy. And we are in a looong quest to find her mentor, so everything is about her and her upbringing.

The combat is awful, the camera is just plain retarded, even in the "tactical mode" we dont get a clear view of the battlefield. Fights are repetitive and enemies have bloated hp pools. The save system is pants on head retarded, old final fantasy check point system for a 2021 pc game is completely unnecessary and adds nothing to the experience. Game hung up on me and i lost an hour of progress.

The game is about running around in big, empty maps collecting resources and completing quests before going back to the npc that gave them, clear all quests and move on with the main story to the next map. The crafting system is generic garbage that detracts from exploration merely by existing.

All in all a 2/10
Do not go near this shit

This saddens me. I bought it on release to support someone, anyone trying to make JRPGs outside of Squeenix. Well, they have my money, but that doesn't mean I have to play it.

Appreciate you taking one for the team and sharing so I don't have to.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Everything said in this thread echoes what I intuited from looking at this one screenshot:

ss_7897d74b86084246bb12178cb841272b025fe782.jpg

Don't forget the next gen uncanny valley character faces/heads...

It's deliriously bad. Did anybody involved in making this game at any point think about whether they liked what they were creating, or did they simply aim to copy the worst the genre has to offer and made an unintentional parody of it?

It's like a JRPG designed by factory golems or something, imitating their masters work but with lifeless reconstruction that could only mirror the most banal skinner box elements and visuals without the understanding or vision beyond basic duplication and repetition.

discount final fantasy. at best.
everything is so cheap it hurts, especially cutscenes, usually characters feel emotionless enough already, but every time the dialogue (which i could swear it's been written by a kid, or a woman: everyone acts with very little logic or reason, just on the whim of the moment) asks for something a bit more intense, like anger or disbelief, soon camera cuts to some inert object, as far away from any speaking face as possible. sad trivia: both main characters look aryan enough to make baby adolf cry of joy. their mom is black. that's the moment it was clear this was a fake jrpg.
color coded puzzles. give me a break.
"oh wow, every weapon is so unique!" and then you have to reconstruct your build every time you swap one, among a hundred different colored rocks. so many little icons of little items of little interest. tens, maybe hundreds of crafting materials, just for your personal annoyance because crafting recipes are fixed, it's not like anarchy online where mixing and matching different materials and different qualities had different outcomes.
bugs are as many, and i'm talking about serious, showstopping bugs scattered everywhere, you never know which perfectly normal operation is going to take you to an inevitable alt-f4.
maps are filled with nothing, built on the basic principle "do you see that 30 cm tall fence? you can't walk over it", which is just infuriating. as pretty much the whole game.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Just tried this for 5 minutes. That was enough. Pure trash. The synopsis was better than the actual game. Even the early deaths were useless. The first fight was enough to show the combat system's garbage. Took forever even though the enemy was no threat. The second was just as bad. It could have at least brought some good tits to the project but the blocking face graphics epic fail. Like they can't even try to make a playable jrpg. Lol Thank the godless for game pass. :D

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just tried this for 5 minutes. That was enough. Pure trash. The synopsis was better than the actual game. Even the early deaths were useless. The first fight was enough to show the combat system's garbage. Took forever even though the enemy was no threat. The second was just as bad. It could have at least brought some good tits to the project but the blocking face graphics epic fail. Like they can't even try to make a playable jrpg. Lol Thank the godless for game pass. :D
Yup. It is a singleplayer MMO - with all the never-ending grinding, inferior combat, generic quests and forgettable story, but without any social aspects or chat to take a break. Subpar MMO but without MMO part.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom