Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Edict from The Management™

Cassidy

Arcane
How many people die every minute in the world? Would you care about all of them?

vrok

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
If that's how you explain it to yourself, that's a different thing.
That goes both ways.

I do care about dead kids, I just don't care about *these* dead kids more than any other. And I don't do shit about it anyway so why should I pretend to be better than I really am just because I saw it on CNN.

Vault Dweller said:
Cracking jokes about kids killed by some imbecile is not a matter of personal opinion and taste, it's a matter of one's stupidity and infantility.

Then you have framed the issue as being what does or does not constitute permissible forms of humour, and that is a matter of personal taste.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I remember discovering a discussion about pedophilia at the Codex. I had to kill it, of course, and warn the fucker who tried to argue that such matters should be freely discussed and explored in the interest of science and freedom and that sex with kids is nothing but a matter of personal taste.

vrok

Liturgist
Except sex with kids is illegal. Not caring is something every single fucker alive does, in one form or another.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
vrok said:
Except sex with kids is illegal. Not caring is something every single fucker alive does, in one form or another.
You speak for everyone now?

vrok

Liturgist
Everyone but Jesus. Jesus was a swell guy. I read that in a book.

Cassidy

Arcane
The CNN kids massacre happened, will some "honor to the fallen" and "this isn't a joke" bring them back?. No, I know what the implications(of potentially lacking any empathy and being pricks to publicly admit they don't care) but people are always dying and Codex never was the "good Samaritans" place devoid of the worst of dark humor. 80% of the world don't really care, 10% are hypocritical politicians using it for their self-interest and most who do really care are those directly affected by the tragedies.

roshan

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
A bit of both, but mostly the latter.

Maybe it's the new cool thing and I'm getting too old to run a site for desensitized kids.

I didnt care after reading the news. There are human tragedies all over the world, particularly in many Asian/African countries, which go completely unmentioned in the global media. One example is Kashmir. About 1.5 million Hindus were ethnically cleansed from the Kashmir valley since the 1990's by Jihadist groups - many are now languishing in refugee camps elsewhere in India under appalling conditions. Yet, this is almost never mentioned in any international news reports. Even the Indian media keeps its mouth silent on the issue as reporting it is not politically correct. But what happens when one person, Daniel Pearl gets killed by Jihadists? There is a media frenzy, and all of a sudden everyone is expected to be sad and shocked. Why should I be shocked? Jihadists are beheading people all the time. Why should I give a fuck about Daniel Pearl when there are 1.5 million other victims of the same Jihadist terror groups that no one gives a fuck about?

This is a matter of fairness and equality. I am not going to value one persons life over anothers just because the media decides to publish those stories. How could I possibly shed tears for those children while turning a blind eye to towards Kashmiri children being killed by terrorists, or the killings of children all over the world? To cry over the victims of these media hyped incidents when so many others are being killed is hypocrisy.

That being said - if I was there, I would probably have done everything I could to save the lives of those kids. And thats my philosophy in life. I do whatever is within my capability to help those around me and make the world a better place. And if I cant do anything about it, then there is no point in wasting any emotion over it.

Vault Dweller said:
I remember discovering a discussion about pedophilia at the Codex. I had to kill it, of course, and warn the fucker who tried to argue that such matters should be freely discussed and explored in the interest of science and freedom and that sex with kids is nothing but a matter of personal taste.

Except Spacemoose's statement was not about pedophilia, and neither was it about saying how cool the school gunman was. The joke contained no hidden innuendo. It was purely a joke, with little contextual relevance to the discussion. It did not tickle my funny bone, but neither did I feel the urge to rip his head off if given the chance.

Also, you have raised an interesting issue. Just as 'personal taste' can be used to justify all forms of abuse of freedom, so can saying 'this is morally incorrect' be used to justify all forms curtailment of freedom. Are you so certain that you are extemely well equipped to be the arbiter?

dagorkan

Arbiter
There are human tragedies all over the world, particularly in many Asian/African countries, which go completely unmentioned in the global media. One example is Kashmir. About 1.5 million Hindus were ethnically cleansed from the Kashmir valley since the 1990's by Jihadist groups - many are now languishing in refugee camps elsewhere in India under appalling conditions.
What about what you've done to the Dalits, you racist?

roshan

Arcane
dagorkan said:
There are human tragedies all over the world, particularly in many Asian/African countries, which go completely unmentioned in the global media. One example is Kashmir. About 1.5 million Hindus were ethnically cleansed from the Kashmir valley since the 1990's by Jihadist groups - many are now languishing in refugee camps elsewhere in India under appalling conditions.
What about what you've done to the Dalits, you racist?

What have I done to dalits? Why dont you tell me? :roll: And what does that have to do with racism?

PS. Im from a part of South Asia that doesnt even have dalits.

dagorkan

Arbiter
OK then I take that back. Don't like your Hindu nationalism much though.

roshan

Arcane
dagorkan said:
OK then I take that back. Don't like your Hindu nationalism much though.

Im actually not a Hindu nationalist. Politically, Id rather see India and Pakistan be broken down into proper nations based on language and ethnicity, and then have some sort of EU like entity fostering a degree of cooperation between the different states.

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
I've appreciated Vault Dweller's enormous contribution to this site the last few years. I check in to read several times a week, sometimes several times a day, though usually don't have much to add since one person or another typically will have already stated the sentiments that I would share.

I'm not averse to tasteless humor myself and don't really care if people make a bad joke in an internet forum every now and then. I think that responding publicly to poor taste just derails threads and it's better to simply ignore them publicly and discuss privately. I don't really think that taking a lot of time to take action on a problem poster is a wise thing, and I don't think that tolerance of NSFW images is good for the forum at all. Why even encourage posters to ask themselves how much is too much?

I think the pleading for the admins to put VD back on staff are misplaced. Unless VD expresses a desire to be back as a newsposter/admin, pleas to others are in vain. I'd love to see him come back to the site but I don't expect him to. I wouldn't mind seeing him on staff at another RPG site but it would probably be strange going from trying to clean this place up a little bit to being censored himself on another site that won't let him write scathing reviews of games by major developers. Maybe he'll miss doing interviews and 'official' reviews enough that he'll want an outlet for that, somewhere.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
some people just can't be bothered about these forum politics I guess, I frankly don't give a shit till the forum went bonkers last week.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
i think so too, but i might miss the Lulz...or..worse, it might draw the lulz over to the General RPG Discussion. Not sure why people are looking for religious discussion in a game site.

Lurkar

Scholar
Astromarine said:
it's funny to me how support for Vault Dweller dwindles the more he actually opens his mouth :D

I think support for VD AND DU are just collapsing on themselves as the forums shake their heads and scream "I DON'T FUCKING CARE ANYMORE GOOD LORD SHUT UP."

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
What I've never understood from VD is why he thinks being cynical/ironic about death is such a big no-no, but he doesn't seem to have a problem with racism/slurs. What makes one thing better than the other, or less infantile?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom