Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes - From Suikoden creators

Terra

Cipher
Latest KS update that went out today was informing people that the closed backer beta keys are now live. They don't want people streaming it due to spoilers apparently. Activated the key myself on steam but it's not unlocked anything playable as of right now (it seems it is meant to go live tomorrow), but check your inboxes.

Retardo

Learned
So, what's the general impressions?
Fanatical's selling the preorder for -26%, and for some weird reason I wanna buy.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It presents itself as a spiritual successor to Suikoden, and that's basically what you will get. I stopped playing after the first dungeon, because I am not sure if i want to continue or not. There's one annoying character from the six characters you get to control in the part that I played. Other characters work.

You have the six man party, the short range/mid range/long range attack characters, so you'll have to place them accordingly in your party. You have your rune lens magic. There are combo attacks for characters that have a relationship to each other. Encounters are random. They aren't very challenging, just like Suikoden. The first boss in the first dungeon has a gimmick, and while it felt tense from a story perspective, it wasn't too difficult. There's a world map, and encounters are random. Soundtrack is good enough.
General lok of the game. No spoilers, these are from the first minutes. Not going to post more of these, because I don't know if I'll have the studio after me. I know there was a request for no streaming, at least.

DEBC11DF35C3B406AE7B2BC486C69CFB13EA403C

02230E39B2C038F27F6871201E899BD2A708322A

A3DC22BBA800803EDA1279034AB364DABECC74BD

1A443CD672C4F9EBBEFDC576D898A6A13AB71B31

Last edited:

Terra

Cipher
Played about 2 hours, past acquiring the primal lens & exploring the first accessible section of the world map & towns, not sure how long the beta is but I won't press on much further.

Spritework is really nice, probably how a future HD Suikoden would have looked if they'd pressed on in that direction.

Spent a bit of time on the world map; standard JRPG fare, rotatable camera, looks fine. Found a fishing spot, but had no rod.

Saving is done at fixed locations as in Suikoden.

Battles felt suitably Suikoden-esque to me, from the subtle movements of the camera to the hero/unite attacks. There are "gimmicks" for some boss battles that allow you to hide behind debris to take cover from bigger attacks, etc. Auto battle actually does something other than set everyone to melee attack now too; they make use of runes and such. A "normal" difficulty option was offered when you begin the game, this apparently cannot be changed later, I don't know if there are other difficulty selections. Overall, the majority of battles were easy, which is in line with most Suikoden games (except 3). The boss was a bit tougher.

Pretty much everything from Suikoden has an equivalent here; weapon sharpening, multi-Runes (seems you unlock more slots every 10 levels, some characters have more slots than others), appraisers, etc. Some recruitable NPCs have little tasks that you have to satisfy before they join you.

Quite enjoyed the voicework overall.

Little banters/unvoiced dialogue pops up to the bottom right as you explore.

Guess it's more like Suiko 3 when the protagonists are all chatty, rather than silent. At least in this beta you only play as Nowa, but he's far more characterised that say Tir/Riou and is probably the biggest divergence from the classic Suikodens. This is actually paying off early on in setting up a presumable rival relationship between Nowa/Sein. Lian, the martial arts chick is being set up as a Nanami stand in it seems.

Overall seems very promising and I'm looking forward to playing the finished article. In my ideal, perfect world, it'd probably be closer to S2 with true 2D, rather than the blending of sprites in a 3D world, but the game seems to blend the two together fairly well, I thought, even the boss encounters like the big golem didn't really clash against the spritework. Given the realities & costs of spritework in game dev nowadays, this blending of styles is about as good as it's gonna get I think.

Jinn

Arcane
Eagerly awaiting to hear what people think about the highest difficulty setting.

TwoEdge

Scholar
Interesting, a couple of days ago a dev confirmed in a Reddit AMA that even though Murayama passed away, they are already planning the sequel.

https://www.reddit.com/r/JRPG/comments/1c4iuig/comment/l031jdd/

Rabbit & Bearの今後について。
村山さんがお亡くなりになったことで、百英雄伝の続編の可能性は未定でしょうか?
(売上が予想を大きく上回るか、あるいは想定内であればの話ですが)

勿論!
それを目指して進めています。
村山がいないのはとても辛い事ですが、彼と多くの事を話し合ってきました。
村山の遺志は我々で受け告げたら良いなと思っていますし、彼の最後の作品を大事にしたいと常に思っています。
多くの人がこのゲームを支持してくれると嬉しいです。

Absolutely!
We are moving forward with a sequel.
It is very sad that Murayama is not with us anymore, but we have discussed many things with him.
I hope we will be able to carry on Murayama's legacy, and I always want to treasure his last work.
I hope many people will support this game.

Here's hoping it's a success.

Johnny Rico

Literate
Quick feeling after playing the game about two hours : the quality of a j-rpg is relative to that of its music and while the game feels nice and looks great, Miki Higashino absence on this game is really noticeable. And it makes me sad telling this, because besides that, it looks very promising.

Jinn

Arcane
Well, the few comments on the Hard Mode I've been able to find suggest the first couple hours are on the easy side, but there's a considerable difficulty spike after that. Good news! Hopefully that'll happen a number of times throughout the game.

Would probably get this on Tuesday if SaGa Emerald Beyond wasn't coming out two days after. SaGa takes precedent though, so I'll probably be picking this up as soon as I have time after I get through a couple campaigns of Emerald Beyond. I look forward to seeing impressions in this thread in the meantime. Hope you Kickstarter and day one bros have a blast!

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
There are slight bonus if you have Rising so I guess I will spend next week finishing that before jumping to this.

Difficulty isn't something that I associate with Suikoden in general, but having a gameplay that's not completely pushover is nice I guess. Will try with Hard mode

Jinn

Arcane
Difficulty isn't something that I associate with Suikoden in general
Same, but it was the number one problem with the series, with plenty of room for it to be present to a greater degree throughout, so the fact they added the option is fantastic. For myself, if I had played the Suikoden games as an adult and with my current taste, I would have dropped them each within 5 hours out of boredom with the gameplay (except maybe III). So if Eiyuden Chronicle was reportedly as brain dead easy as the Suikodens, I'd probably give it a hard pass despite my nostalgia for the series, which is why I've been so interested in opinions on the hard mode.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Anyone playing? I was really looking forward to this. Sounds like the localization really changes the tone to a sacrastic and snippy dialogue where there was none in japanese. Also the use of the word "chud" and talking about "assuming gender" all very early on in the game.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1658280/discussions/0/4358997099027551134/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1658280/discussions/0/4358997099028321384/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1658280/discussions/0/4358997268253578395/

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Game is being docked points for being too similar to PS1/PS2 jrpgs.

Meanwhile, that is why I backed the game in the first place.

Also, PC version seems they way to go. Console ports seem phoned in.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Oh boy...

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1658280/discussions/0/4358997268253481830/
My previous thread was locked having devolved into a "non-productive argument" despite requesting otherwise.

I wanted to avoid that and make this thread as productive as possible and non political so I will focus this subject on Lians localisation. You can agree or disagree that Lians portrayal is good or bad, adds to the experience or spoils it, but please don't insult me for raising it. Its a forum for discussion.

Playing the game so far I feel the localizers have consistently used her are a mechanism to mock and belittle the hero.

Its very obvious when comparing the Japanese voice actor to the English voice actor. She does this consistently early on, but one such example occurs in Nowa's home village.

Prior to departing the localizers inserted a line for Garr not found in the Japanese dialogue "All right, lets go embarrass Nowa in front of his people. Our destination is northwest of here - Through the mountains west of Altverden." This appears as an insert to set up to changes to Lians portrayal of lines/dialogue in the village.

Upon arrival to Nowas home village, villagers crowd around Nowa and are excited to see him, with one praising him stating he must be a fine warrior by now. Nowa shows humility in response to this praise but Lian (in English) mocks him stating "D'aw look how much the Wuv you". The English voice actor portrays this in overly exaggerated and sarcastic baby voice.

For transparency sake I may have misinterpreted a Japanese character in my previous thread, so lets say this line in Japanese is delivered as " Wow, they kind of love you." or "Wow, they love you somehow." The voice actor delivers this line completely different, and changes the meaning of the scene entirely, from mockery to awe / admiration for the hero. I dont think this is a simple "lost in translation issue" as im sure the Japanese are capable of mockery.

I find it hard taking the "hero" seriously when those around him treat him this way.. theres an ongoing line about "oh great captain my captain" that leaves me thinking "Is the protagonist a joke?"

I suppose my point is the Japanese dialogue conveys these scenes differently and although I'd prefer to play the game in Japanese, the localised English subtitles butcher the dialogue and interactions and subsequently the unspoken meaning Murayama intended for certain scenes and their relationship with the hero i.e from admiration for the hero to mockery.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom