Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes - From Suikoden creators

Spike

Educated
JSakxGj.jpg

GL_ZR-ZXwAAK1SE

More translations.
https://nitter.poast.org/zakogdo/status/1782340520670527759#m
This is infuriating and worthy of a freaking gas chamber.

Reinhardt

Arcane
looks like i fucked up. ignored beigoma mini game until much later in the game and now doc just sitting in his house without giving me option to recruit him.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
A lot of these translations don't strike me as particularly woke, but they are really bad nonetheless.

'Chud' is literally a leftwing internet insult for someone on the right.
How about 'Rub-a-dub-dub'? I don't have my Kodexian Jew decoder ring on hand.

I could live with a few obnoxious characters, stuff them in the kitchen where they belong and roll with some of the other dozens of party members. But it seems like everyone has the 'How do you do, fellow children?' accent turned up to 11. It's bizarre and doesn't seem to fit the tone of the game at all. It's the kind of shit I'd expect from a 90's era animal mascot game trying to take the crown from Sonic.

Mauman

Learned
Most of the changes are just general stupidity with a bit of cringe.

The Chud thing is stupidity squared with a ton of cringe however. That'd be like calling a hippy character an sjw or libtard in this game. They're terms that just don't fit in a fantasy setting like this due to their charged real world nature.

Though some of the changes to the "ill-tempered healer" and ESPECIALLY the dialogue with the thugs also made me raise an eye-brow.

Retardo

Learned
combat decent with max difficulty modifiers? it's not like suikoden games excel at combat design but Im getting tired of every jrpg being too easy.
this was one of the games I was actually waiting for please dont be shit
It started piss easy with occasional spikes on bosses here and there, and then there was
a proving grounds dungeon after the treemen village,
where
a) layout is a bit non-trivial if u wanna find all the chests
b) a shitton of monsters hitting pretty hard made me burn through all of my potins, and they didnt give much in terms of exp.
c) two bossfights back to back in the end

I had a team of yusuke, garr, nowa, kogan, garoo, franceska as healer, everyone had best available armor/weapon upgrades/rings/armor runes, armor 130-150 except for franceska, and they still got constantly hit for 50+ dmg easily.

Obviously the main heal drain was francesca, so now the only healers I'm using are the ones who can wear at least medium armor and can take some punches.

Maybe I should have used the plot npcs they gave for that dungeon, but I tried one of them, and he sucked ass.

Reinhardt

Arcane
wait until you start juggling characters between multiple parties. it's suikoden after all.

So should I buy this

Never played sudoku

I lost interest 11 hours in, after I got the castle. Went back to playing World of Warcraft Dragonflight and Granblue Fantasy Relink. I intend to come back and finish Eiyuden Chronicle this week but it just hasn't been gripping me like the last few JRPGs I played. I don't have a burning desire to look forward to my next play session. I don't think it's bad as I haven't uninstalled it and still intend to finish it, it's just not super gripping.

If you have never played Suikoden then you should play 1 and 2 first before spending money on this game. Suikoden 1 is 15 hours long but really gripped my interest and holds up as a great game. You get a heavy war story packed into 15 hours. Suikoden 2 isn't as great as S1 but was still very engaging. S1 and S2 look great and have a memorable soundtrack by Miki Higashino. If you enjoyed S2 and want more, then you play through Suikogaiden which is only a few hours, and then play Suikoden 3. S3 was unfinished and sees a dip in gameplay, aesthetics, and music, but the story was very ambitious and the 40 hour long prologue was interesting. After S3, the creator Murayama left Konami, and everything after branded Suikoden is actually made by a different dev team and begin drifting away from the spirit of the original games, but there is still fun to be had.

I think my main issue with Eiyuden is that it is kinda boring. I am playing on hard difficulty but the combat is very easy. I have never been in danger of wiping or a game over. I have only had three KOs thus far and then I immediately rezzed my downed party members. Plot wise there is little tension. No one has died yet, no towns have been wiped off of the face of the earth, etc. Contrast that with S1 or even S2 where bad stuff was happening that I wanted to stop and I felt compelled to take down the villains, and I wanted to find out what would happen next.

If I had to say something positive about this game, I guess I like the visual effects in the battles and the camera pans. I also like the main story characters. Not my absolute most favorite cast ever but they're pleasant and inoffensive, can't think of anyone unlikeable who detracts from my enjoyment of the game.

somerandomdude

Learned
I stopped playing about 15hrs in, because I couldn't find a reason to continue playing. No particularly strong reason why I quit playing, It's not a terrible game, it's just mediocre. And I've gotten to the point where I'd rather replay a good older game than play a new mediocre game.

Reinhardt

Arcane
nowa is just meh protagonist. both seign and even shaneekwa are better. ok, maybe shaneekwa is not, but she's not really prominent. her duel was at least spectacular. kinda like that "wizurd duel" thingy bg fanboys talk about.
seign could be clearly better main character. loyalty to family, loyalty to empire, understanding that everything goes to shit, everyone's hostility to his imperial origin.

Themadcow

Augur
So should I buy this

Never played sudoku

Here's what I'd do:

A) How much time are you willing to invest? If you've got time, Play Suikoden 1 and 2 - both emulate really well on most devices. If you haven't got much time, leap straight into Suikoden 2 because ultimately it's the best game in the series. There is a small completion of S1 bonus that carries into S2 but it's not a huge deal.

B) If you really like Suiko 1 or 2, I can recommend Eiyuden as more of the same. It really is a game designed to scratch the itch of people who have played Suikoden 1 & 2 and want more. Unlike many JRPG's there are things that set Suiko aside as a series that hasn't got modern equivalents due to the huge cast of recruitable characters and some elements like the duels / army battles / upgradable base.

C) If you enjoy Suiko 1, 2 and Eiyuden then then next obvious steps are Suiko III (quite a different game) and Suikoden V (incredibly slow start, but after that arguably one of the best in the series). Suiko Tierkreis and IV can be ignored mostly.

So echoing some comments above, pick up S1 and especially S2 for free then decide.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
i still don't understand why nowa is a leader of alliance. ok - perielle made him. but she's not especially popular either among neighbors. her word is not worth much.

Reinhardt

Arcane
so yes - corque and reid didn't join. which also locked me from final character. which i guess locked me from true end.
from what i've seen corque should join after you beat first few players and then he unlocks reid questline. never happened to me. probably bug. judging there is no info in internet it's uncommon.

Mauman

Learned
I'm probably going to get some flack for this, but I also recommend Suikoden 3. It's probably my favorite in the series despite it's flaws.

Themadcow

Augur
my favorite is 5. it has best girls.

I reckon it would have done so, so much better if they hadn't made the first 8-10 hours (cutscenes, background story) such a slog to get through that I'd be shocked if many reviewers even bothered.

Once the story gets going its great. The ending is genuinely pretty moving (although I guess it depends on what ending you get).

Zyondyne

Learned
I'm 100% sure I'm no longer the person I was back when I first played Suikoden I & II.

That being said, nostalgia ain't clouding my mind. With all due respect for people who worked on this, unforunately this game completely lacks any bit of charm that the originals had. There's nothing remotely remarkable about it.

Sure, the art style & music are serviceable, but the combat is unremarkable and tedious even by JRPG standards. All non-boss enemies are feeling like generic trash mobs.

Characters are completely unmemorable, story and dialogue are incredibly bland. Even the joy of building and upgrading your castle isn't there for me.

It's not a "bad" game per se, it's just a bland but somehow semi-competent JRPG that lacks a lot of QoL features. I could have forgiven the latter if the game had any redeeming quality whatsoever.

I was waiting for this game, but after 6 hours of playing it, I'm not gonna finish it. There's no reason for me to push through it.

Reinhardt

Arcane
finished it. ~60 hours but at least 10 hours was game just running in background and i check in from time to time to build something with afk mats and do next cooking battle. missed 3 characters, few monsters and one boss in the list. probably because it's not true end.
ng+ lets you use all unlocked characters and keep money. you can also transfer levels and items but only all at once. i hoped for more modular approach, like reset levels but keep weapon upgrades or something like that.
stronghold also resets and all mats are lost so you must build it from the scratch.
i could just speedrun it and collect missing chars to watch true end but i don't know if i want to, unlike i did with unicorn overlord just to play with other characters. it's competently made but pretty bland game. mostly because i just was not interested in nowa as i said earlier. nigga is just here. everyone: "you are our grorious leader!" nowa: "i am?" we literally learn more about seign from few dialogs than about nowa over the course of game.

Reinhardt

Arcane
basically it doesn't feel personal for nowa. he's just here to fight for... good things, i guess?
aldric was gud boi and dindu nuffin wrong btw

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm probably going to get some flack for this, but I also recommend Suikoden 3. It's probably my favorite in the series despite it's flaws.

Nearly all Suikoden main games are decent. 1 and 2 are the OGs, surprisingly charming and set the stone for future of the series. 2 is probably the best still from the cast and plot alone. 3 while can be awkward is amazingly ambitious. What JRPG or even what game has 6 bloody PoVs covering in the same game? It certainly is very interesting experiment that I hope Eiyuuden team might revisit if they survive this launch. 5 is basically love letter to 1 and 2, have decent casts as well.

The only one that many people seems to agree is that 4 is the worst out of the main game with nothing going for it

Shinji

Savant
The only one that many people seems to agree is that 4 is the worst out of the main game with nothing going for it
It has some serious flaws, but I still find it very comfy.

Not many JRPGs about seafaring out there, unfortunately.

That's the best one, I agree.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom